PDA

View Full Version : Fetlock/ankle boots that don't trap sand?

FrittSkritt
Nov. 17, 2011, 11:51 AM
Hey all-
A few years ago, I asked the same question and ended up buying some Thinline boots based on several posters' recommendations. The boots were great -- unfortunately after a year, the first pair started splitting near the velcro, so Thinline sent me another pair. The new pair lasted nearly as long, and now these are starting to crack/split. So no more Thinline boots for me... :(

That being said -- can any of you recommend any non-Thinline fetlock boots that don't trap sand? Thanks!!

Dramapony_misty
Nov. 17, 2011, 12:05 PM
Have you looked at the Veredus boots? They are BEAUTIFUL and super-durable.

findeight
Nov. 17, 2011, 12:30 PM
Beauty is as beauty does-or traps sand...

If they are still out there, I had great luck with the neoprene Eskadron open fronts. Not too thick and a snug fit with very good, solid support/protection. The velcro closed across the front with wide strips that effectively closed the front while still allowing cooling and letting them feel anything they clobbered. Had very little trouble with anything working it's way between boot and skin even hacking out. Has to be 15 years since I bought those, still use them for lunging my retiree-would still use them on anything else as well.

I never found any of the leather ones I could get snug enough to match those and any kind of lining at all-synthetic, felt or sheepskin-made it even harder. Buckles were hard to work with and the dam straps would break, even with good care.

FrittSkritt
Nov. 17, 2011, 03:14 PM
findeight, do you mean the full lenght open front boots (e.g., that usually go on the front) or the open front-like ankle boots? (This stye: http://www.smartpakequine.com/eskadron-flexisoft-pro-safe-hind-boots-7788p.aspx?cm_vc=Search )

Whyevernot55
Nov. 17, 2011, 04:29 PM
findeight, do you mean the full lenght open front boots (e.g., that usually go on the front) or the open front-like ankle boots? (This stye: http://www.smartpakequine.com/eskadron-flexisoft-pro-safe-hind-boots-7788p.aspx?cm_vc=Search )

I use the full-length open fronts and Eskadron's hind ankle boots. LOVE them. I've got two sets that have both been around for about 5 years. My horse manages to get some sand in them, however it is extremely minimal. I like them much better than the fuzzy-lined brushing boots that my horse also has. I feel like he gets a lot more grit in there with the fuzzies, and retains a heck of a lot more heat than I'd like. He rubs himself behind pretty good, and these boots have stood up well to daily use. Plus I can just hose them off, or chuck them in the washing machine, and they come out looking like new.

findeight
Nov. 17, 2011, 05:17 PM
Full length.

foursocks
Nov. 17, 2011, 07:25 PM
Both Veredus and the Equifit Luxe are both pretty good at not trapping sand, in my experience. Some gets in, but not enough to be an issue.

SportsFan46
Nov. 18, 2011, 09:45 AM
Some sand will always get in but the good thing is if the sand comes right out to when cleaning the boots. Veredus boots with the neoprene and lycra lining shed the sand quickly and easily when dunked in a bucket if water and shaken vigorously.

Lucassb
Nov. 18, 2011, 01:45 PM
If you can find them, Gygax Star boots were known for not trapping sand, and the pair of have from years ago are still my go-to boots for that type of footing. I haven't seen them in tack stores lately but you may be able to find them online somewhere.

hannahpony9
Nov. 18, 2011, 02:53 PM
I have used many and haven't had any problems. ROMA splint hind boots with double velcro works great! I also recommend eskadron as well. If you want a nicer boot i recommend equi-fit, they fit really well!

buschkn
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:12 AM
I love my Equifit boots, but the hind ones still get sand in them, even though they fit very snugly and mold to the leg. I was wondering what kind of boots to try as well. :(

Lord Helpus
Nov. 19, 2011, 11:02 AM
Just curious --

WHY are you using hind boots? Does your horse interfere so badly that he will hurt himself if he doesn't have hind boots on?

So many people do things because it is "the thing to do" without understanding the reason behind it, and the hind boot fad is one which I do not understand. I especially smile when I see a pony all booted up for his child to hack around on. :D

I will admit to having booted up my horses for every ride, until I rode with Joe and Conrad when they were still together. And I discovered that they never put boots of any kind on their horses unless they were doing a serious jumping school. So then I started to question the whole rationale for using boots.

And I seriously began to doubt that, for the average rider, they provided any benefit whatsoever.

Certainly when balanced with the detriment of grinding sand into the ankle, the "advantage" of using hind boots (because they look fancy?) doesn't stand up to a rational argument.

PS: I don't use front boots either anymore, unless I am jumping a new, higher level than my horse is used to. Then he could have a hard rub or make a mistake that the protection a boot will afford him makes sense.

I may be the lone voice in this -- but in the last 40 years, I have seen a lot of fads come and go, and putting boots on every horse, every day is one of them that makes no sense to me anymore.

buschkn
Nov. 19, 2011, 12:01 PM
Just curious --

WHY are you using hind boots? Does your horse interfere so badly that he will hurt himself if he doesn't have hind boots on?

So many people do things because it is "the thing to do" without understanding the reason behind it, and the hind boot fad is one which I do not understand. I especially smile when I see a pony all booted up for his child to hack around on. :D

I will admit to having booted up my horses for every ride, until I rode with Joe and Conrad when they were still together. And I discovered that they never put boots of any kind on their horses unless they were doing a serious jumping school. So then I started to question the whole rationale for using boots.

And I seriously began to doubt that, for the average rider, they provided any benefit whatsoever.

Certainly when balanced with the detriment of grinding sand into the ankle, the "advantage" of using hind boots (because they look fancy?) doesn't stand up to a rational argument.

PS: I don't use front boots either anymore, unless I am jumping a new, higher level than my horse is used to. Then he could have a hard rub or make a mistake that the protection a boot will afford him makes sense.

I may be the lone voice in this -- but in the last 40 years, I have seen a lot of fads come and go, and putting boots on every horse, every day is one of them that makes no sense to me anymore.

I do agree with this, and rarely use any boots on my horses. I do use front boots in the show ring, and sometimes on a young one who jumps particularly hard just in case he were to clip himself landing or something. I think most people use them to "complete the look". I stopped using my Equifits as the last show when they were gathering sand.

I also chuckle when I see horses in turn out, and for the awards ceremonies (esp dressage!), all booted up like a full leg cast. Surely a GP dressage horse shouldn't be THAT clumsy?! ;)

FLeventer
Nov. 19, 2011, 03:37 PM
My horse has front shoes, I will use front boots. My horse is clumsy and he does sometimes trip over himself. I do agree that horses do not always need to be booted up. But if it makes the owner/rider feel better then who is to burst their protection bubble?

I say if you want to spend $200 on boots then go for it, there is always a chance of overstepping and ripping open the back of his front leg.

M. O'Connor
Nov. 19, 2011, 07:57 PM
The question of whether boots provide benefits that outweigh their drawbacks is of genuine concern.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=16037

I would guess that whether boots retain sand has much more to do with what type of footing a horse works on than the boots.

All boots and wraps have their pros and cons.

Certainly it's uncomfortable and even harmful for a horse to wear boots that are hot, dirty, or wet. Take them off, shake them out periodically would be my suggestion. Don't use them for extended periods, and remove them as soon as possible after use to prevent excess heat buildup.

FrittSkritt
Nov. 21, 2011, 02:31 PM
Just curious --

Unfortunately, yes. He's a bit crooked behind and tends to whack himself (hind fetlock/pasterns) with his hooves. (And yes, I've been working with the farrier to help with this... but farriery can only do so much.) When I'm schooling in the ring and decide to work on some leg-yielding/shoulder in/etc. (or, more often, he's being a hyperactive crack monkey and legs are flying everywhere ;) ), the boots really do help prevent him from banging his legs up.

I prefer to use the hind ankle boots as they're minimal and don't completely cover the lower leg. I'm one of the few eventers that actually uses fetlock boots while schooling, most people I know are all decked out in front/hind fleece brushing boots and bubble wrap. :winkgrin: Hence why I asked this question on the H/J forum, because on the Eventing forum I'd get ".......". ;)

hannahpony9 - I used to have Roma boots, but they were *terrible* about trapping sand. It might just be the way they fit my horse's legs.

FrittSkritt
Nov. 21, 2011, 02:38 PM
Certainly it's uncomfortable and even harmful for a horse to wear boots that are hot, dirty, or wet. Take them off, shake them out periodically would be my suggestion. Don't use them for extended periods, and remove them as soon as possible after use to prevent excess heat buildup.

Also another reason why I use fetlock boots -- less coverage = cooler legs. (Admittedly, I use the Premier Equine vented brushing boots on front.)

FrittSkritt
Nov. 21, 2011, 02:42 PM
I also chuckle when I see horses in turn out, and for the awards ceremonies (esp dressage!), all booted up like a full leg cast. Surely a GP dressage horse shouldn't be THAT clumsy?! ;)

It's more for presentation. White polos = fancy as they show off that big leg movement. :)

Celeritas
Nov. 21, 2011, 03:04 PM
I am of the opinion that (like all tack) the horse should only go in what the horse needs. My current horse always goes in open-fronts for jumping (Eskadrons for schooling, leather ThinLines for showing), because he does interfere, and he's not always the most careful jumper so I like for him to feel the rails. For hacking or light schooling on the flat, he goes naked. However, if I'm going to be doing a hard school with lots of lateral work, he gets wraps all around, because he can and will strike his pasterns. I know this because I've found cuts on a pastern after such a school while naked. In the winter, he always gets wrapped all around because he will cut himself with his boirum-tipped winter shoes. I use wraps because (on my horse at least), I find they don't cause as much heat as boots, they don't trap as much footing as boots, and it's harder to keep boots clean.

So while I definitely think a lot of people use boots all around purely for fashion or paranoia-induced purposes, my horse needs them so I use them.

pryme_thyme
Nov. 21, 2011, 04:54 PM
I personally love Pro Choice SMB boots.... lots of support for the tendons and joint.

I don't see much point of the ankle boots unless, like another said, your horse actually requires them, either due to a conformational flaw or movement irregularity.