PDA

View Full Version : Rambo newmarket fleece cooler vs Wool dress cooler

Jive
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:04 PM
I am horrible at making important executive decisions such as what kind of cooler to get my new jumper.

My horse is currently using my old horse's champion cooler from a schooling circuit years ago, which is way too small if I actually had to do up the chest straps. I've always used this cooler both at home in the winter and at shows in the spring and fall when its a bit cool. Now that it's getting cool the horses grandma (aka my mom) keeps makeing fun that it looks silly on him so I've decided he's gonna get a new cooler for Christmas.

I would prefer to get a cooler to use for both at home and shows and I just can't justify $400+ that some of the super fancy wool coolers cost.

I've always liked the Rambo newmarket coolers and think the red, yellow and black or the brown coloured ones would look smashing on him. My other option is to order a wool cooler from the company that made the champion cooler I won which is nice a reasonable priced (but then I also have to figure out what colour and trim to get lol).

So anyone with a Rambo cooler care to Chime in on how well they hold up compared to a wool cooler. Do you think the stripes are too flashy for shows?

DressageOverFences
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:14 PM
I have a rambo and love it. Its super thick and its held up quite well over the years. I use it as a layer for blanketing though, not as a cooler, since I much prefer wool. If you want something for after rides and shows I would go wool, if you just want a fleece cooler, I would get the rambo (or just any fleece cooler).

Renn/aissance
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:15 PM
I really like the Rambo fleece, but there is nothing like a good wooly. I really like Curvon's wool dress sheets, and they are reasonably priced. Same company that makes Baker blankets. Paid $170 for mine fully customized with embroidery.

lucyeq
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:17 PM
I LOVE my Rambo. I have it in the red/gold/black and it looks fantastic on my bay. I use it at home and at AA shows. Very snazzy and warm :)

NotAtTheBarn
Nov. 17, 2011, 12:18 AM
I also have the red/gold/black cooler and love it when it gets really cold (freezing,) but for normal above freezing weather it's almost too heavy in my opinion. I do love it though and get a lot of use out of it in the fall/winter.

Kikki
Nov. 17, 2011, 12:55 AM
I don't love wool since everything sticks to it horribly. I have really gotten in to fleece for coolers. I have two from Eskadron that I LOVE, a heavier one and a lighter fleece that has a silk cord on it. I also have a fleece cooler from SmartPak. I forget how they list it, but its used as a blanket liner or cooler. I had it monogrammed and then removed the tacky leather patches for the surcingle and one of the chest buckles so that all it has on it now is a single buckle. It looks nice and is a good weight. My 5 year old uses it at home and at shows. I have that Rambo in the quarter sheet and love the weight and feel of it.

Annandale
Nov. 17, 2011, 01:02 AM
I really like Curvon's wool dress sheets, and they are reasonably priced. Same company that makes Baker blankets. Paid $170 for mine fully customized with embroidery.

Wow, thanks for sharing! I just checked out their website and am thinking I will definitely order from them next.

saitou_amaya
Nov. 17, 2011, 01:13 AM
I have the Rambo newmarket fleece and its definitely held up to a lot of use for a while now. It does it's job, but and I love how it looks, but it doesn't look as fancy as a lot of wool coolers. But thus far I have really gotten my money's worth with it.

ivy62
Nov. 17, 2011, 04:00 AM
if you live in an area where it gets gold and dry area stay away from fleece. The static electricity is awful. I has a beautiful fleece cooler that has been sitting in its bag for the better part of 8 years now. My horse was acting so weird until I realized I was shocking him!
Wool is the best. keeps yout horse warm and cools them off and drys them too....

Weatherford
Nov. 17, 2011, 06:31 AM
Nothing like wool! I have several that are older than most of the posters on this BB - and they are wonderful!!!

;)

Spud&Saf
Nov. 17, 2011, 08:23 AM
I say Rambo...in the chocolate, so he can match my horse :D.

A Rambo + Irish Knit dries my unclipped horse in 10 minutes or less.

Also, I can wash both my Rambo cooler and quarter sheet in my washing machine.

RodeoHunter
Nov. 17, 2011, 08:27 AM
Our barn uses those Rambos and I was surprised at how well they wick as a cooler. You can put a hand print in the 'dew' that accumulates on the top.

akhunterrider
Nov. 17, 2011, 08:35 AM
Check eBay. I got a brand new Integrity wool cooler for under $200. There are several gorgeous ones on there now. The Clothes Horse has lots of wools on clearance and the dress sheets are under $250 if you choose one of those. The Rambo stuff is really pretty, but I really prefer wool.

onelanerode
Nov. 17, 2011, 09:00 AM
I had a Rambo Newmarket fleece cooler as well, and I really liked mine. It wicked surprisingly well and is thick, densely woven fleece. Shavings were pretty easy to get off of it with a stiff brush.

You will have issues with static, but for me that's an acceptable tradeoff for being able to toss it in the washing machine. I'm a bit of a neat freak and can't stand grubby horse clothing (unless it's a turnout ... that's what those are for :lol: ).

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. The chocolate stripe is particularly yummy and looked fabulous on my dark bay mare.

sarcam02
Nov. 17, 2011, 09:12 AM
Check eBay. I got a brand new Integrity wool cooler for under $200. There are several gorgeous ones on there now. The Clothes Horse has lots of wools on clearance and the dress sheets are under $250 if you choose one of those. The Rambo stuff is really pretty, but I really prefer wool.

Yes - ebay seller rosyblankets sells the integrity wool coolers quite reasonably - they run small. First choice is The Clothes Horse - and Katrina often has "closeout wools" to choose from

spina
Nov. 17, 2011, 09:16 AM
Your horse is probably voting for wool.

The biggest pros of the fleece are the lighter weight and being able to throw it in the washing machine. But as someone else mentioned, there's a huge amount of static created by polyester fleece in dry winter air and when you go to pull it off, no matter how careful you are, it gives shocks that freak out (understandably) a lot of horses.

Some people minimize the static by rubbing their horse with a dryer sheet or spraying the horse or cooler with a moisturizing conditioner (like Eqyss avocado mist, which also has coat conditioning benefits AND a great smell, worth doing in the winter anyway) befor putting on the cooler. If you live somewhere warm and humid it probably won't be a problem.

shadowanne
Nov. 17, 2011, 12:44 PM
You can put a hand print in the 'dew' that accumulates on the top.

Agreed! I had one for my mare in chocolate and now have the navy stripes for my black bay gelding since he is a size smaller. I also have the matching qtr sheet, stable sheet & stable blanket. And for myself, the matching vest, throw and socks. BONUS!

HCF
Nov. 17, 2011, 01:54 PM
Another vote for the Rambo! I have the newmarket cooler in gold/red/black which looks awesome on my bright red bay. Its nice and thick and wicks really well. I also have the matching stable sheet and am coveting the quarter sheet. :D

ETA: I also have one of the Newmarket throws and my family fights over who get it. Its yummy!

BeeHoney
Nov. 17, 2011, 02:02 PM
Absolutely go with the Rambo fleece cooler. It is thick and warm and I have had ZERO issues with static. For some reason the Rambo fleece is not prone to static the way some other fleeces are. They are sturdy and don't seem to be prone to rips or pilling. Best of all, you can run them through the wash as much as you want so they are always clean and fresh and you aren't afraid to use them.

I have fancy wool coolers, too, but I don't use them now. I have a couple of really old ones that have lasted a long time but only because I'm afraid to use them because I'm afraid to wash them. Then I have a few that only fit my smallest horses now after shrinking in the wash. And a few moth eaten ones, because moths wreck wool if you forget to store it properly over the summer.

akhunterrider
Nov. 17, 2011, 02:26 PM
Yes - ebay seller rosyblankets sells the integrity wool coolers quite reasonably - they run small. First choice is The Clothes Horse - and Katrina often has "closeout wools" to choose from

I have purchased 4 integrity linens clothing items from eBay, two of which were brand new from rosy blankets. The dress sheet fits well, but could use more drop on the sides. The waffle dress sheet fit terribly. I was way too big. Both were marked as the same size.

Theres another seller on eBay that has several integrity dress sheets listed this week.

Sunnyhorse
Nov. 17, 2011, 02:40 PM
Looks like they're down to pony/hony sizes, but I have to say a good word for the lovely wool dress sheet (http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=MD-24040B) -- with leather chest fastener, hidden surcingle, hip ornament, and tail cord -- I got from Dover last year for $49. My boy looks fab in the gray plaid. :D IIRC, Dover has the full range of sizes and colors off and on, so it might be worth it for anyone who's not in a big hurry to check back with them from time to time.

FLeventer
Nov. 17, 2011, 02:59 PM
I will always choose wool over fleece. Check ebay is the main thing that will get you a wool cooler/dress sheet for a bargain. I have about six wool dress sheets that are just high quality nice stuff. I have one thermatex (sp?) from England that I would also recommend. I like the material and its very sturdy quality.

I have two that are the real wool newmarket, not the rambo knockoff. Nicest stuff out there. Really love the wool in that pattern.

Wayside
Nov. 17, 2011, 03:06 PM
I have a wool cooler and a fleece cooler, and I use the fleece one a lot more. Primarily because, as previous posters menioned, it's much easier to wash.

My horses live out 24/7, though, and I don't blanket, so mine gets dirty pretty quickly. If my horses were blanketed, or otherwise less filthy, I'd probably use the wool one more.

GypsyQ
Nov. 17, 2011, 03:07 PM
I have one of the wool dress coolers from Dover that Sunnyhorse mentioned. I have been pleased with it, one of the stock colors worked well with my barn colors. Dover also monograms, but I took mine to the local t-shirt place and they were able to put my farm name on it.

foursocks
Nov. 17, 2011, 06:33 PM
The Dover wool coolers are really very nice, especially for the money- I like wool best for the reasons given above. I also have a Rambo cooler as well as a Schneiders Poly-Tech Liner and I like them both, although the Schneiders wins for wicking.

I also have a Cavalero Techno Sheet for each of my two horses- they are really for very cool weather, but wow, those things are gorgeous!!!

cswoodlandfairy
Nov. 18, 2011, 08:21 AM
How is the Sizing for the Rambo Newmarket coolers? I definitely want to buy one, and my TB is an 81. I have noticed in the past that I need to go down a size to fit correctly, is this the same for the cooler?

EAY
Nov. 18, 2011, 10:08 AM
How is the Sizing for the Rambo Newmarket coolers? I definitely want to buy one, and my TB is an 81. I have noticed in the past that I need to go down a size to fit correctly, is this the same for the cooler?

I would say that the coolers fit slightly smaller than the Rambo blankets. My TB mare's 81 Rambo Wugs and stable blanket fit her perfectly but her Newmarket fleece is a bit more snug. She does, however, have a big shoulder and is built more like a warmblood. The fleece fits fine though for use as a cooler and I would think the 84 would be too long.

Rambos are sized differently that U.S. blankets and in that case you would go down a size. For example my mare wears an 84 Rider's blanket.

SquishTheBunny
Nov. 19, 2011, 12:20 PM
I have both wool and fleece.

The fleece dries them faster, by far. If I have a really wet horse, I will put a fleece cooler on for 10 minutes then take it off and put a dry fleece on until he is completely dry.

I use the wool one for shows, as it looks nicer...but I really think the fleece "dries" them faster.

HCF
Nov. 19, 2011, 01:28 PM

My horse (17H WB) has an entire Rambo wardrobe - Newmarket cooler and stable sheet, Rambo stable blanket, Rambo Wug MW T/O and Rambo Classic T/O sheet. They are all a size 81. The cooler and stable sheet & blanket are all more fitted than the T/O's but all fit him fine.