PDA

View Full Version : How to Price a Saddle

lucyeq
Nov. 16, 2011, 01:35 PM
I currently have a Butet. I would really like to sell it and get a CWD. I've found a CWD I'm in love with, but it's out of my price range. I would need to sell my Butet first and be able to get quite a bit of money for it to purchase the CWD.

Question: How do I price my Butet? I can't take pictures of it for a few more days, but I can provide a pretty accurate description.

-flat seat, long flap
-I think it's a 2004; it's definitely no older than a 2002
-fantastic condition; cared for properly; slight discoloring on the seat near the cantle
-devoucoux billet guards, billets are in very good condition

I've been looking at other saddles very similar to it for sale used online and they've been going for about $3,000-$3,500.

Please help me price my saddle!

westie55
Nov. 16, 2011, 01:42 PM
I think $3000-$3500 is a good price range. If you make it cheaper you might be able to get a quicker sale. I bought my Butet used (an '07) in excellent condition for $3600 a few years ago, so it was nearly new. However I think if I had shopped around more I could have done a little better. I bought the first one I saw. I don't regret it because I love it!

lucyeq
Nov. 16, 2011, 03:29 PM
Thank you, westie! That's what I was thinking. Anyone else??

Looking around at pricing and saw this. It's the exact same saddle I have except bigger. From this picture, I think they are in very similar condition. Mine may have a little more mottling on the seat.

http://www.allthebestusedsaddles.com/17-flat-butet-1201.aspx

Luminati
Nov. 16, 2011, 08:02 PM
You have to remember the one you posted is "Retail", so I would expect to get about 2/3rds of that, unless you try to sell it directly, via ebay or something similiar. I sold a saddle through www.highendusedsaddles.com and think I got a fair price, but it wasn't retail. Why are you getting rid of the Butet? Its a much better made saddle than the CWD, IMO.

lucyeq
Nov. 17, 2011, 12:13 AM
You have to remember the one you posted is "Retail", so I would expect to get about 2/3rds of that, unless you try to sell it directly, via ebay or something similiar. I sold a saddle through www.highendusedsaddles.com and think I got a fair price, but it wasn't retail. Why are you getting rid of the Butet? Its a much better made saddle than the CWD, IMO.

What do you mean by Retail?

I've ridden in a few CWDs and am in love. I feel like I can wrap my legs around the horse better and really get more contact. There's too much bulk between my leg and the horse in my Butet. It also slides around on my current horse.

alto
Nov. 17, 2011, 12:45 AM
Talk to CWD about trade in value for your saddle (even if you're buying a used saddle from their shop) - you may lose a bit of money value on your saddle but it will happen now rather than sometime in the future when your current saddle sells; the fact that your saddle is slipping around on your horse can easily become a significant issue for your horse, sore back, even permanent muscle & nerve damage (atrophy).

Tha Ridge
Nov. 17, 2011, 01:03 AM
I sold a similar (almost identical, in fact) Butet for $3,000 about two years ago, so your range might be a touch high, but not super off the mark. Mine was a 2004.

Canaqua
Nov. 17, 2011, 03:06 PM
Having just finished a year long used saddle shopping process, I can tell you that most private sellers price their saddles much too high. A private individual seller cannot expect to get the same price as those well-known used saddle retail websites. That's like expecting to sell a used car yourself for what a dealer could ;).

How you price it depends on how quickly you want to sell it. If you have the time to wait around for just the right buyer, price it at the top, but it will take quite some time to sell it. If you want to sell sooner, you'll need to make the price attractive.

Also, it doesn't matter what people are asking for a used anything, it only matters what people are actually paying for it and the two are often not the same.

A way to estimate the price at which could really sell your saddle, as a private individual, is to go to eBay, do an "advance search" and check the "completed listings" box...looked at the ended listings with the dollar amount in green...some actually paid that price for that saddle, so you could reasonably expect to get the same for a similar saddle. The "red" prices...either no one bit at that price or the seller ended the listing without a sale for another reason.

luckeys71
Nov. 17, 2011, 11:20 PM
I found comparing prices of the used saddle sites and what things are selling for on eBay, the used saddle sites seem to be pretty high, but you are paying for their warranty and inspection of the saddle. I wouldn't expect to get nearly as much as they are asking in a private sale. It, also, seemed like not much was selling on eBay, unless it was a pretty good deal, even the high end, popular saddles, like Butets. The less popular saddles, really didn't sell, unless they were CHEAP.

Serah
Nov. 18, 2011, 06:28 PM
There are a few 2007 Butets on ebay that I have been stalking ... one of them being almost brand new... they are priced 3000-3500 and not going anywhere... some of them have been listed multiple times. For a 2004 I wouldn't personally spend more than 2000-2500 depending on condition... Simply because I know I could get a better deal than that. Used is Used. And just bc a Butet now is much more expensive than it was in 04, doesnt mean you can model your price based on the 2011 price tag.

GoForAGallop
Nov. 18, 2011, 06:39 PM
I think your $3k-$3.5k price tag is way out of range, in this economy.

I did a "Completed Listings" search on Ebay for your saddle (and similar) and the ones that are actually selling are selling for right around $1.8-$2k...with the newer ones topping out at $2.5k.

Just because you're seeing saddles listed for $3.5k doesn't mean they're SELLING for that much. You can go ahead and list it at that price, but I think you're going to be sitting on it for a lonnngggg time. I'd get it listed somewhere ASAP though, if you do decide to sell, to capitalize on those who are Christmas shopping.

Miraya
Nov. 18, 2011, 08:01 PM
Literally the exact situation i'm in! I have a 2002 Butet in mint condition...the CWD rep was only going to give me a $1000 on the trade in and recommended I sell it privately. I'm asking $2500 for it, and realistically expecting $2000. Which will be put towards my line of credit for my CWD 2G! I would suggest asking around the $2500 mark if it is in very good condition. That might scare some people off, but in my experience, there are plenty of others who want to get their hands on a nice older Butet!

P.S
I always said I would never sell my Butet...but my mare doesn't fit it at all and once I sat in the CWD 2G I was in love! :)