PDA

View Full Version : super cheap Amerigo Saddle on ebay

Star's Ascent
Nov. 16, 2011, 10:34 AM
I wanted to your opinions on this saddle. I have had a few exchanges with the seller and its just a little weird.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230700062335?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_7470wt_1139

The first thing is that its obviously not a 12" saddle. They refuse to remeasure stating repeatedly that it is measured correctly even after I have sent them descriptions and a photo of where to measure correctly and also mentioned the saddle, much less Amerigo do not come in 12" and that would be a small child's saddle

They refuse to give the serial # saying that if they gave that it could then be registered by who ever has the # and that person could list it as stolen. I have told them that not giving it points to it being stolen and there is info that could be useful within the serial #. Such as the seat size. They say they can give any info needed from the serial # but don't know who to contact about that.

And lastly, is the tree broken? There is something funky looking about it. They state nothing is broken on the saddle.

I have told them that the people bidding are most likely (like I am at this point) watching to see how much it will go for, and if they can get it cheap enough they will fix it and then sell it for quite a bit more than they bought it for since no one knows what size the saddle is!

Am I just paranoid that there is something odd about this listing or does any one get that too? I do have the exchanges between us but I have to get to work here in a minute. I may have sent it to Amerigo this morning.....Not sure they will get it in time or do anything but I can try. Thoughts?

alto
Nov. 16, 2011, 10:43 AM
I have told them that the people bidding are most likely (like I am at this point) watching to see how much it will go for, and if they can get it cheap enough they will fix it and then sell it for quite a bit more than they bought it for since no one knows what size the saddle is!

Not sure why you'd share this information if you want the saddle as cheaply as possible :confused:

The seller has an ebay store so it should be easy enough to protect yourself should you wish to return the saddle (especially as it's sold wth a 14day return policy)

Yes there is something funky with the degree of flex seen in the photos.

Star's Ascent
Nov. 16, 2011, 10:57 AM
My original intent was to see where the saddle went and to try to get the correct info, if it would have fit me I would have been more willing to buy it and fix it. At this point with the sellers refusal to measure correctly or give the serial # it seems to fishy and I don't want to give them my mone even aS a fix and resell project.

Melissa.Van Doren
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:12 AM
You only get a deep crease like that with a broken tree. And replacing a tree is basically building a new saddle - expensive. You'd do well to keep looking. This isn't a bargain.

Trixie
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:21 AM
That definitely shouldn't look like that.

Come Shine
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:23 AM
If you look at where they have measured the saddle, you can extrapolate from the 12" and 14" measurement lines to draw a line button to cantle, if you want an approx seat size.

Agree that the crease looks weird. Sounds like it fell off the back of a truck.

Canaqua
Nov. 16, 2011, 01:56 PM
The tree appears to be broken and twisted. They seller does not know how to measure saddles, that line they drew to get the "12 has nothing to do with anything. I doubt the seller is a horse or saddle person and they have no clue what they are selling. I'd stay a million miles away from that one...even if it were free. Also, if that dot to dot measurement is accurate, it's a very narrow gullet/tree.

LBAndrew
Nov. 16, 2011, 02:00 PM
There is no way I'd put that saddle on any horses back.

ohrebecca
Nov. 16, 2011, 05:49 PM
Looks like a broken tree to me.

I'm not surprised it no-saled at 99c.

ETA: If the tree is in fact broken and shoved upwards at that angle, I *guess* the measurement from cantle to nailhead could measure out at a 12....

Looking at their other items, they don't seem like they regularly sell any equestrian items, so them saying 'nothing's broken' on it doesn't really hold much water. And looking at their negative feedback, seems a lot of their sold items are broken upon (or prior to, most likely) arrival.

GoForAGallop
Nov. 16, 2011, 06:04 PM
Looks like a broken tree to me.

I'm not surprised it no-saled at 99c.

ETA: If the tree is in fact broken and shoved upwards at that angle, I *guess* the measurement from cantle to nailhead could measure out at a 12....

Looking at their other items, they don't seem like they regularly sell any equestrian items, so them saying 'nothing's broken' on it doesn't really hold much water. And looking at their negative feedback, seems a lot of their sold items are broken upon (or prior to, most likely) arrival.

It didn't no-sale at $0.99....it was up to $250 just a few hours ago. This is the second time that the seller has randomly cancelled the auction....I was watching the saddle once before, just a week or so ago, and the same thing happened. Just a few days before the auction was to close, it ended.

Honestly, a tree replacement would likely not cost as much as a new Amerigo, so it could be a good bargain for someone who has that extra cash for repairs. I mean, it's a $5,000 saddle, in almost new condition. Tree replacements, from my research, run around $1000, give or take a bit. That's a decent deal.

Now, though, with this auction being ended early twice, I'm very suspicious of the seller.

ohrebecca
Nov. 16, 2011, 08:38 PM
It didn't no-sale at $0.99....it was up to $250 just a few hours ago. This is the second time that the seller has randomly cancelled the auction....I was watching the saddle once before, just a week or so ago, and the same thing happened. Just a few days before the auction was to close, it ended.

Honestly, a tree replacement would likely not cost as much as a new Amerigo, so it could be a good bargain for someone who has that extra cash for repairs. I mean, it's a $5,000 saddle, in almost new condition. Tree replacements, from my research, run around $1000, give or take a bit. That's a decent deal.

Now, though, with this auction being ended early twice, I'm very suspicious of the seller.

Gotcha, didn't realize the seller randomly cancelled the auction - though that's a red flag to me. Sounds shady!

GoForAGallop
Nov. 16, 2011, 08:56 PM
Gotcha, didn't realize the seller randomly cancelled the auction - though that's a red flag to me. Sounds shady!

Yeah, the first time they did it I thought that maybe they had forgotten to add a reserve...sellers do sometimes, or they try the auction without a reserve (cheaper to list with Ebay that way) and then panic when their item isn't getting high enough bids.

To cancel it a second time though? Very suspicious.

webbysdad
Nov. 16, 2011, 08:59 PM
What kind of Amerigo are you looking for? My wife may have her 17 in, medium tree, Amerigo jump saddle for sale soon...

Star's Ascent
Nov. 16, 2011, 09:11 PM
I noticed that it had ended when I checked on my lunch. I thought that was really weird also. I knew that when I left this morning it was at 2 something. I'm guessing it has to be stolen because you would think that if they were just equine ignorant they would take people's advice to make their listing better and try to get more bidders which=more money. We will have to see if it pops up again. I'm saving it in my ended items for now to see if it relists.

naters
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:07 PM
The pics were taken in what looks to be a very industrial warehouse. Have you reported it?

naters
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:07 PM
Super sketchy.

Star's Ascent
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:32 PM
I didn't report it to ebay but I did send the link to the listing as well as my correspondence with them to the email address on the Amerigo website. I had thought about reporting it to ebay but it wasn't a blatantly obvious scam like some of the other ones I see. So I didn't want to report them if they were really just that unwilling to work with interested people. If I see it again I might. They have one other saddle but its just a wintec.

alto
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:37 PM
Also be prepared for the possibility that the seat leather may need to be replaced.

Star's Ascent
Nov. 17, 2011, 10:47 PM
And it's back!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amerigo-Pinerolo-15-1-2-Jumping-Saddle-Brown-/330643875010?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfbe924c2#ht_7814wt_1172

This time they actually tried to measure it properly!

Madaketmomma
Nov. 18, 2011, 11:14 AM
I agree that the saddle looks strange, but I don't know why everyone is so quick to jump on every Ebay seller as a scam artist. The first thing that you should do, no matter what you are buying, is to look at the seller's history and rating. This seller has sold a ton of stuff and has almost a 100% satisfaction rating. I would think that they probably re-listed because the measurements were off and a lot of people asked about it.

Maybe the saddle is filled with cocaine and that is why it looks that way ;)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/16/cocaine-in-a-horse-saddle_n_1096959.html

Canaqua
Nov. 18, 2011, 11:34 AM
I don't know that they are purposefully scamming. But, it does seem that they know nothing about saddles and are an uneducated seller as far as tack is concerned. The wrinkles in the seat are highly suggestive of a broken tree, but there are several photos in which you can clearly see that the tree is quite twisted. Not suitable to put on a horse. Seller has insisted there's nothing wrong with the saddle, whether that's because they just don't know or don't care, who knows.

JRG
Nov. 18, 2011, 11:38 AM
This looks like the same one that Amerigo had on facebook warning all potential buyers that this saddle was part of an insurance claim...and the tree was broken.

GoForAGallop
Nov. 18, 2011, 01:33 PM
This looks like the same one that Amerigo had on facebook warning all potential buyers that this saddle was part of an insurance claim...and the tree was broken.

I went back to December of 2010 and didn't find anything?

Nuggets
Nov. 18, 2011, 02:57 PM
It's on World Equestrian Brand's (their distributor) page - has a picture of the exact saddle and this text:

BEWARE!! THIS SADDLE WAS LISTED FOR SALE ON EBAY BY A COMPANY THAT PURCHASES AND RESELLS DAMAGED FREIGHT. THIS SADDLE WAS CRUSHED AND THE TREE BROKEN IN HALF BY UPS DURING SHIPPING. THE SADDLE HAD TO BE RELINQUISHED TO UPS IN ORDER FOR OUR CUSTOMER TO RECEIVE THEIR INSURANCE CLAIM WITH UPS. THE LISTING HAS BEEN PULLED, BUT THEY ARE RELISTING IT NEXT WEEK. WHEN YOU SEE THE SADDLE SHAPED LIKE A BANANA WITH A BIG WRINKLE IN THE SEAT, DON'T BUY IT.... THIS IS THE ONE AMERIGO THAT YOUR HORSE MIGHT NOT APPRECIATE. WE HAVE REPORTED IT TO EBAY, BUT JUST IN CASE IT GETS ON THERE, WE DON'T WANT ANYBODY GETTING... WELL, SADDLED WITH A BROKEN SADDLE...

spurgirl
Nov. 18, 2011, 08:03 PM
The seller, from the various and "unusual" items they sell, probably buy from either unclaimed storage lockers, or, as was just mentioned, buys unclaimed freight or auction lots.

Star's Ascent
Nov. 18, 2011, 11:39 PM
This is the saddle that is part of the insurance claim. Amerigo emailed me back about it yesterday. They contacted Ebay which led to it being taken down, but it is of course back up. I sent them the new link to keep them updated.

Astraled
Nov. 19, 2011, 11:21 AM
I bought a Fleeceworks pad from this seller. Normal transaction, good product and all. Disappointing to read they're being so shady.

GoForAGallop
Nov. 19, 2011, 12:55 PM
I guess I'm not understanding why it deserves reporting to Ebay/being pulled down.

The shipping company claimed the saddle in order to give the insurance payment....that doesn't mean they have to throw it away. This Ebay seller clearly buys lots of damaged goods and re-sells on Ebay, which is a legitimate job.

Is this saddle one that should be on a horse? No, absolutely not in it's current state. But if someone can get it for a couple hundred bucks and put a new tree in it, they might get one heck of a deal.

Tha Ridge
Nov. 19, 2011, 01:01 PM
I guess I'm not understanding why it deserves reporting to Ebay/being pulled down.

The shipping company claimed the saddle in order to give the insurance payment....that doesn't mean they have to throw it away. This Ebay seller clearly buys lots of damaged goods and re-sells on Ebay, which is a legitimate job.

Is this saddle one that should be on a horse? No, absolutely not in it's current state. But if someone can get it for a couple hundred bucks and put a new tree in it, they might get one heck of a deal.

Agreed.

Perhaps someone can politely explain the issues to the seller, but if the seller legitimately owns the item, they have every right to sell it, regardless of its condition.

Sarabeth
Nov. 19, 2011, 01:09 PM
If this saddle has been causing Amerigo concern, they should just buy it from the seller for a few hundred bucks and get it off the market and dispose of it.

jn4jenny
Nov. 19, 2011, 01:29 PM
If this saddle has been causing Amerigo concern, they should just buy it from the seller for a few hundred bucks and get it off the market and dispose of it.

I doubt it's been causing Amerigo "concern." I'm sure they've gotten lots of emails from potential buyers, but think of it this way: should Toyota be "concerned" that people buy crashed Toyotas on Ebay then fix them up? Is it Apple's "concern" that people buy broken Macbooks off Ebay and either salvage them for parts or replace the broken components?

Amerigo is probably only "concerned" that the seller didn't make it 100% clear that the saddle is damaged. Which, to be fair to the disposal company, they may not have known or understood. Those companies deal with all sorts of goods, and to someone with no experience with English saddles, it might have looked perfectly normal. However, shame on them for not making that clear on subsequent relistings when they've probably been informed by now of the (obvious to all of us) broken tree.

ToiRider
Nov. 19, 2011, 01:39 PM
At the very bottom of the listing, in very large red font, the seller has posted: "We have inspected this item and guarantee the tree to be sound." Does that mean it passes the flex test or a trot out?

Canaqua
Nov. 19, 2011, 02:27 PM
At the very bottom of the listing, in very large red font, the seller has posted: "We have inspected this item and guarantee the tree to be sound." Does that mean it passes the flex test or a trot out?

Yeah, that's the problem, IMO. Sure, the seller can buy damaged goods cheap and sell them at a profit. But, it's not ethical to claim that the damaged goods are not damaged. Seller probably did not know that the saddle tree was broken, but, now that they've been informed, they should be upfront about that. They are now "guaranteeing that the tree is sound"??? Because they inspected it? Did they even know a saddle had a tree before someone questioned it? And, there is no way that tree is sound, now they are lying. Most people purposefully shopping for a saddle as expensive as an Amerigo are going to be knowledgeable enough to spot the issue (I hope!) and only bid accordingly, but others might just happen upon it and might think they are getting a pretty saddle "cheap" and be ripped off, or worse, go around riding in it!.

northerhunter
Nov. 19, 2011, 03:20 PM
All you have to do is buy the saddle along with this lot and you'll be good to go ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Convermex-Fiberglass-16-x-5-Saddle-Shaping-Mold-/330643795375?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfbe7edaf#ht_4279wt_1185

Eye in the Sky
Nov. 19, 2011, 03:41 PM
These folks are clearly shady from everything already posted - and when I read the red letters, I laughed. I am betting they had NO CLUE as to what a tree was until people began suggesting to them that it may be broken. :rolleyes:

Star's Ascent
Nov. 19, 2011, 04:18 PM
In my initial email to the seller I asked if the tree was broken based on what I was seeing from the photo. They stated that there was nothing broken on the saddle. We do know for a fact that the tree is broken. Here is the response I received the other day from Amerigo

"Thanks for bringing this to our attention. You were right to be suspicious!! This saddle is the subject of an ongoing
claim against the shipping company who damaged it in the first place, (the saddle tree is broken, so they were lying about
that too!!) and they had put it up for sale illegally. The company has been reported to Ebay for their dealings and I been told that it has now been removed."

The seller repeatedly stated the saddle was measured correctly (at 12") and refused to remeasure even after it was pointed out that it was not done correctly. They also repeatedly refused to give the serial # which most likely is due to what is still going on with the saddle. I would guess that perhaps the saddle could not be resold by the shipper that broke it until the claim had gone through? Otherwise why would they be so secretive about the saddle

Here is their response to my initial email questioning the measurement and tree
"This item was measured correctly. It is 12 inches from pommel to cantle. Unfortunately, however, we cannot provide a serial number of our items unless you are the winning bidder. I can verify, however, that this saddle is not broken in any way."

And here is their response about the serial #
"I have looked into how to measure a saddle and the saddle was measured correctly. To be sure of proper measurement I have just gone and measured it again. The measurement is 12". You can register the saddle for warranty purposes at http://www.amerigo-saddles.com/index.php/en/warranty-registration-form which is why we don't give the serial number out. I am unable to find anywhere that we can obtain additional information on the product with the serial number, however. If you can find something you can send us a link and we will be able to get any information you need. We can't, however, register the product just to find out information on a product. The serial number belongs to the winner of the bid. Good luck!"

And
"As far as I know I did measure this correctly. I measured from the front of the saddle to the center of the back of the seat (the Cantle), which was 12 inches. Even though the serial number would yield a lot of information about the saddle we cannot give it out unless you are the winning bidder simply because of liability issues. If someone had the serial number they could register the saddle on the Amerigo website and then claim it was stolen from them. So we don't give out the serial numbers for buyer protection of this product.

If you need any information, however, we do have the serial number and can use it to obtain any related information you may need. Just let us know."

Sarabeth
Nov. 20, 2011, 11:35 AM
I doubt it's been causing Amerigo "concern." I'm sure they've gotten lots of emails from potential buyers, but think of it this way: should Toyota be "concerned" that people buy crashed Toyotas on Ebay then fix them up? Is it Apple's "concern" that people buy broken Macbooks off Ebay and either salvage them for parts or replace the broken components?

Amerigo is probably only "concerned" that the seller didn't make it 100% clear that the saddle is damaged. Which, to be fair to the disposal company, they may not have known or understood. I see your point, however, the company has already spent time (money) with their involvement in this claim, which very likely isn't over yet.