PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Blocks

lucyeq
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:30 PM
Do you like blocks on your saddle (knee, calf, thigh, etc.)? Do you feel like blocks give you more/less contact with the horse? Thanks in advance!

mojo7777
Nov. 15, 2011, 10:10 PM
I like small pencil knee rolls, just enough but not too much. They do not seem to influence the degree of contact I feel with my horse.

*Liz*
Nov. 15, 2011, 10:45 PM
In my opinion, blocks are a bit of a trade-off. I like blocks, especially over bigger fences or on a horse with a hard jump as they make me feel more secure. However, I do feel like I don't have quite as much contact as if I were in a flat, block-free saddle.

Star's Ascent
Nov. 15, 2011, 10:47 PM
I like both having blocks and not having blocks. I had one saddle without them and I felt so much closer to my horse (I am also short which doesn't help.) I felt very stable without them but at the same time I also like the other saddle with the knee and thigh block because they give a little more security. I have only recently started riding in saddles with thigh blocks. Prior to this it was either a knee block or nothing at all.

hequestrian
Nov. 15, 2011, 10:49 PM
I love to have at least a pencil knee roll.

My saddle is FLAT as can be (a beval devon) and I much prefer my sisters bevel natural that has the pencil knee roll.

My favorite saddle (cwd) has front and rear blocks. One of my trainers has one and I adore riding in it. I love the feel of it and it never makes my knees hurt as some saddles do.

luchiamae
Nov. 16, 2011, 01:37 AM
I have the same CWD as hequestrian's trainer. Super saddle.

I don't like the Albion K2 massive knees blocks.

LTLFLDF
Nov. 16, 2011, 07:20 AM
Love knee and thigh blocks. Not huge ones. It helps if the saddle has a "hole" under the knee roll to make the block not stick out so much and "lift" your leg off of your saddle and you horse.

In my saddle it helps me feel secure. I am currently horseless and not riding regularly. (trying to change that). It is nice that I can get in my saddle and feel like I haven't taken a day off, especially when I am trying horses.

I tell everyone to ride in everything you can get your hands on. You'll find the saddle that works best for you. It's great if you can have a couple one for flatting and one for jumping.

Of course if you want the best of both worlds and do the jumpers try a monoflap.

cnvh
Nov. 16, 2011, 09:11 AM
Love knee blocks, hate thigh blocks-- they make me feel totally out of whack and like I have no contact whatsoever. But I have short hobbit legs, so that could have something to do with it...

pryme_thyme
Nov. 16, 2011, 09:51 AM
I just bought a new Bates and it has knee blocks that you can move. I LOVE them!
I have never had a saddle with blocks only pencil knee rolls, I never felt unsecure but the feel of the knee block is nice and will be very valuable once my mare is old enough to start jumping. I figure it will be a great help with the greenie moments she will have, popping, gazelling lol

findeight
Nov. 16, 2011, 10:46 AM
Liking or not is too general as there are many different types of saddles and many sizes and shpes of these knee rolls and blocks. Sometimes they are not placed properly in relation to the flap and seat, that drives you nuts and you are fighting them all the time.

I can't even feel my thigh blocks on my Childeric and couldn't on a Butet either but have felt them in some other saddle brands-and hated them.

I am perfectly competent to stay still in a dead flat saddle with a
"sweet spot" as the very best ones have...love the Hermes for example (bit out of my price range though, even used). Never jumped over 3'9" so don't need much to hold me in anyway. Just am alot older and like it softer these days;).

Dewey
Nov. 16, 2011, 10:52 AM
In my opinion, blocks are a bit of a trade-off. I like blocks, especially over bigger fences or on a horse with a hard jump as they make me feel more secure. However, I do feel like I don't have quite as much contact as if I were in a flat, block-free saddle.

I agree with Liz. I am an effective rider, but I ride green horses and train them to jump. I am willing to trade a bit of closeness for more security, especially as I am middle-aged and am more breakable than I used to be.

Sunnyhorse
Nov. 16, 2011, 10:58 AM
My horse likes to play. It's nothing extravagant on most days, but the blocks on my CWD (and the half-deep seat) help me stay on top of things, so to speak, when he does get silly. They also put my leg where it needs to be -- I keep up with my two-point and no-stirrups work, but my leg's never gonna be perfect.

I did own a Beval LTD2, which has much less going on under the flap, for quite a while, and I enjoyed riding in that sadde, too.

cswoodlandfairy
Nov. 16, 2011, 12:47 PM
I’ve always had knee blocks but small ones. When I was saddle shopping I had tried a saddle with thigh blocks and noticed a big difference and love them. They definitely made me more secure in the saddle along with feeling secure. I told the saddle people it was a must on my new one. So now I have a thin pencil knee roll and a thick thigh block! I will say I will never get another saddle without either again.

candysgirl
Nov. 16, 2011, 03:03 PM
I HATE big blocks. I have never found a saddle with big blocks that puts me in the *right* position. I always feel like I'm fighting the saddle.

My jumping saddle is one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stubben-Siegfried-II-Saddle-17-stirrups-/180707337677?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a12ff25cd Stubben Siegfried II. About as flat as you can get.

My dressage saddle is one of these:
http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/main.cfm?action=horsefly&sub=view&ID=76789 Its a Stubben Aramis. It has very minimal blocks.

M. O'Connor
Nov. 16, 2011, 03:39 PM
Agree that it's a trade off--especially if you use a range of stirrup lengths, ie ride some horses or situations longer/shorter than others.

Individual fit is an issue, too, unless the saddle is custom, but do you make it custom for jumping, or flatwork?