PDA

View Full Version : "Pre-children's ponies"... anyone know?

Mayaty02
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:59 AM
what they are like in MD? we don't have this division here in VA but are planning to attend a show in MD and I'm curious as to this division. Wondering if this division is what we should try but have never seen it. Just curious as to the quality of rider and pony at this level and will it be a kinder place to a pony with big step, that's maybe not "short stirrupy" because of his step and pace.

Trixie
Nov. 15, 2011, 10:19 AM
It sort of depends what show you're going to as to what their descriptions are, but it is usually there to make sure there are plenty of classes for children and ponies to show in - ergo, there is an option for nearly every possible height for every pony between 18"-2'6". At some shows, it's a hair higher than short stirrup.

If you're looking at the horse show in Westminster, its purpose is to be a 2' class open to riders over the age of 12 on ponies, since short stirrup is the same class but for younger riders. Though at that class it looks like a kid on a small/medium could conceivably be eligible for Children's Ponies or SS also.

Moesha
Nov. 15, 2011, 10:25 AM
Basically a step up from Short Stirrup, I think a more forward pony with a big stride would be fine and For Example A kid riding a large pony who has just started but is too old for S/S for example and not ready for the Children's Larges at 2'6" much less the regular Larges at 3' seems to be a big component from what I saw in this division. Now of course you will go and it will all be small ponies and short lines!!

Mayaty02
Nov. 15, 2011, 10:46 AM
LOL moesha, thanks, and yes I'm sure it depends on what show but you're right I see how this would be great for kids on a large moving up from SS. My daughter is on a medium but at the same shows the sm/md children's ponies are also 2ft so it didn't make sense to me. Now with the bit about the larges, that makes sense. I wonder if she should just do the sm/md children's? hmmm.... so I would assume there would be more larges there than smalls/mediums.

The prize list specifically says for the short stirrup division "excessive speed will be penalized" so while I don't think our pony is "speedy" he has a big step so I'm assuming that would not fly well LOL

Thanks all!

Trixie
Nov. 15, 2011, 11:01 AM
I always think of "excessive speed" to mean holy terror ponies who are running/flying. I wouldn't worry too much about a big step as long as the pony is quiet and otherwise safe and suitable.

That being said, you certainly have your choice of a zillion divisions for a child on a small or medium.

Mayaty02
Nov. 15, 2011, 11:03 AM
true which is why I love the MD shows!! he's definitely NOT a holy terror and he is under complete control, but he will do the regular division step. I have had ponies penalized before in SS for doing that... (sometimes, but obviously not always)