PDA

View Full Version : Lots of FEI changes from yesterday in Rio

vineyridge
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:36 AM
You should read the summary here:
http://www.fei.org/sites/default/files/media/GA11%20-%20wrap%20up.pdf

Helmets at all times on show grounds for jumpers, except for adults in award ceremonies. The USEF got a change to delay implementation until 2013 so an education campaign can be conducted.

I found this change particularly interesting:

Furthermore, on the basis of guidance received from the IOC, it was clarified that if one member of a Dressage, Jumping, and Eventing team is disqualified for an anti-doping violation, the entire team would be disqualified. However, in Jumping the team members that did not commit the doping violation would still be able to keep their score for purposes of the individual placings.

This applies to the Olympics in 2012. There are other new rules for Jumping Championships and the Olympic Games that apply to Jumpers only. In fact, there are quite a few rule changes for Jumping. The matters discussed which involve jumping are on page 3 of the summary.

Also, all horses being registered for the first time with the FEI must be microchipped. Hooray!

 Microchipping of horses registered for the first time with the FEI - The GA adopted a requirement that horses being registered with the FEI for the first time must be micro chipped according to set standards (ISO 11784 and
11785). The standard microchip number consists of 15 digits, the first three identify the manufacturer and the remaining numbers are unique and non-duplicated. These numbers represent the unique number that will be associated with that horse form birth until death.

Lord Helpus
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:55 AM
I don't understand the anti-doping rules for jumpers at all. As in dressage, there are 2 separate competitions: team and individual. So even if a horse were to be disqualified as part of a team he could still go forward into the individual competition and win.

Yes, it takes qualifying to get to the individual competition, so scores are relevant from that perspective. But the same thing applies to dressage, and this rule is only for jumpers.

Why are jumpers and dressage horses treated differently since their "team competition/top scorers move on to/individual competition" schedule is the same?

And a big HOOOOORAY for the microchip rule! My dogs have been microchipped for decades. All horses should be, too.

vineyridge
Nov. 15, 2011, 11:15 AM
Eventing also. They do give individual medals in eventing. So are all members of the eventing team disqualified from individual medal competition?

Was the US dressage team disqualified in Hong Kong because of Mythilus (sp)?

MyssMyst
Nov. 15, 2011, 11:44 AM
On the microchipping, what if you already had a microchip done that wasn't the 15 digits? I know my mare won't ever compete in FEI competition, but I'm pretty sure the microchip the vet used didn't have a full 15 digits.

M. O'Connor
Nov. 15, 2011, 12:48 PM
I can understand the logic of disqualifying the team from team competition (otherwise the doping is nothing more than a 'drop score'), yet allowing the other individuals on the team (not the one caught doping, LH) to advance through individual competition.

The positive ID would be great, but I wish we could apply it to all show horses across the board--wouldn't that play havoc with "preferred practice" here in the USA where horses can be placed in virtual witness protection programs, and resurface with new identity and a clean or embellished resumé many times over with no one the wiser.

I'm interested in how the governing bodies regard the Eye-D system on display at WIHS--that seemed very effective if the presentation was accurate.

nutmeg
Nov. 16, 2011, 12:37 PM
I'm VERY interested to hear the reason behind the discrepancy in the group doping rules for jumpers, eventers and dressagistas. Jumpers don't share needles? Jumpers don't inhale? They hold their individual final in a much more prominent arena than the others and thus would draw Unflattering Press? They don't want to deny us the quadrennial Beerbaum/Kutscher/O'Connor follies (which are extremely entertaining unless you are Beezie, Mclain, Laura or Chris)? They're concerned the Whitakers might spill beer on their horses too early? What could it be?

findeight
Nov. 16, 2011, 12:57 PM
The positive ID would be great, but I wish we could apply it to all show horses across the board--wouldn't that play havoc with "preferred practice" here in the USA where horses can be placed in virtual witness protection programs, and resurface with new identity and a clean or embellished resumé many times over with no one the wiser.

No chance my friend. Anything that can be put in a body can be taken out and replaced. That little scar/bump on the side of his neck is from a fence post/gate latch/trailer door/his mother bit him et al.

So it can still come back with a brand new name, 4 years younger. And eligible Pre Green.;)

Weatherford
Nov. 17, 2011, 07:56 AM
Microchipping has been required for horses in Ireland since 2000. :)

Weatherford
Nov. 17, 2011, 08:03 AM
Rumor here had it that the pony heights were being changed (increased) for FEI Pony Divisions. Any word on that? Thanks!!