PDA

View Full Version : Favourite daily conditioner for aged leather

overthemoon
Nov. 15, 2011, 07:10 AM
Just what the title states - I have an old Crosby-esque saddle that I'd like to keep using for a few more years, at least. It's in good structural condition, just some wear on the seat and pommel (and I'll take partial blame for riding in jeans too much).

So, what are your favourite products for keeping your aged leather in good condition?

Riding is fundamental
Nov. 15, 2011, 07:40 AM
I like Effex Leather Balm (small brown container). I do not use it daily though, just as needed. On older leather put it on (thin coat), wait a day or two for it to fully sink in, and then repeat once. Should really soften it up. It will be little tacky for the first ride, but that goes away and tacky is better than slippery!

Reagan
Nov. 15, 2011, 07:55 AM
I like Effex Leather Balm (small brown container). I do not use it daily though, just as needed. On older leather put it on (thin coat), wait a day or two for it to fully sink in, and then repeat once. Should really soften it up. It will be little tacky for the first ride, but that goes away and tacky is better than slippery!

Another vote for Effax

CobJockey
Nov. 15, 2011, 12:51 PM
I have an aging Beval, and I love Passier's Lederbalsam, which I found after it was recommended highly in a similar thread on this board. I did exactly what Riding is fundamental said, and the flaps and leathers went from stiff as boards to soft and supple.

fordtraktor
Nov. 15, 2011, 01:14 PM
This is probably heresy but I had super duper luck with Leather New restoring tack that Lederbasalm and the others just couldn't get soft again. I use Lederbasalm as my regular conditioner as it is healthier for the leather but if I need "secret weapon" conditioner, I go pick up a small thing of Leather New. It is really that good.

After restoring I try to keep the tack nice in my regular program (wipe with water after every use, clean with Leather Therapy wash once a week, and condition with Lederbasalm once a monthish).

ChocoMare
Nov. 15, 2011, 01:51 PM
ADORE Belvoir (http://www.horseloverz.com/Carr--Day--Martin-Belvoir-Leather-Balsam-Intensive-Conditioner---500ml-pr-341664.html)! :yes:

M. O'Connor
Nov. 15, 2011, 02:14 PM
I don't treat "aged" tack any differently than "new" tack--if I've take care of a piece of tack through the years, it seems to last indefinitely. I have bridles that I'm using now that are at 25+ years old.

For daily cleaning of strapwork/girths, I wipe off dirt, grime, and sweat with a hot water/ammonia solution, then condition with plain glycerine soap using a nearly dry sponge.

For saddles, I skip the water wipe-down, except stirrup leathers, and the flap, in the area where it picks up dirt/polish from my boots. I condition with plain glycerine, sometimes using "not much" Lexol instead of "not much" water on my nearly dry sponge.

This is how I took care of my old Crosby, which was almost 35 years old when I retired it, and how I take care of the saddles that have replaced it; I'm expecting they should last just as long, if not longer.

vineyridge
Nov. 15, 2011, 08:56 PM
I have two that I've used for years:
The Stubben leather care products and Ko Cho Line from Belvoir & Martin. The latter is great for waterproofing and restoring leather than has gotten wet. I have not idea what is in it, but it really does keep good leather supple and healthy.

equidae
Nov. 15, 2011, 10:18 PM
Effax Lederbalsam.

lauriep
Nov. 15, 2011, 10:37 PM
I don't treat "aged" tack any differently than "new" tack--if I've take care of a piece of tack through the years, it seems to last indefinitely. I have bridles that I'm using now that are at 25+ years old.

For daily cleaning of strapwork/girths, I wipe off dirt, grime, and sweat with a hot water/ammonia solution, then condition with plain glycerine soap using a nearly dry sponge.

For saddles, I skip the water wipe-down, except stirrup leathers, and the flap, in the area where it picks up dirt/polish from my boots. I condition with plain glycerine, sometimes using "not much" Lexol instead of "not much" water on my nearly dry sponge.

This is how I took care of my old Crosby, which was almost 35 years old when I retired it, and how I take care of the saddles that have replaced it; I'm expecting they should last just as long, if not longer.

This. Exactly.

Isabeau Z Solace
Nov. 16, 2011, 12:48 PM
I love the Fiebings Mink Oil conditioners. But I always make sure to get some moisture on the tack first.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=fiebings+mink+oil&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7364160564&ref=pd_sl_5dc1t4jjfo_e