PDA

View Full Version : Ann Arbor, MI Barns

hgz
Nov. 15, 2011, 01:12 AM
What A hunter/jumper barns are near Ann Arbor? Interested in going to the U of M next year, and am starting to look into riding options:) I'm hoping for a barn that has a competitive training program, an indoor, and is somewhat near Ann Arbor :) Thanks!

cobsize
Nov. 15, 2011, 08:53 AM
You might start by checking out Fox Meadow Farm in Temperance, MI and Oxford Farm in Swanton, OH and get a feel for their training styles, their programs, their prices, and the drive time from Ann Arbor as you find something that fits your needs.

slp
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:34 AM
U of M is a great school, best of luck on getting a positive acceptance letter! (and don't call it 'the' U of M, that term is reserved for 'the' OSU haha).

Fox Meadow Farm is the best for a serious 'AA' show competitor...it's about 50 minutes south of AA though and most freshmen at U of M won't have a car unless they win the dorm lottery for a parking space.

There are lots of other good barns in the AA area. Don't know if you are bringing your own horse or just want to lesson and train; some of these don't have a lesson program without your own horse there.

In no particular order or rating (but I've put a * next to the ones that I'm familiar with that I know have a good reputation):

Hawthorn Hill* - Jan Simmons Dooley
Hidden Lane* - Cindy Phibbs
Hedge and Turf* - Sharonne Peters
Forte Farm - Allison Howson
Dragonfly Farm - Michelle ???
Willowbrook Farm* - Jen Blades
Cobblestone Farm* - Cathy Henderson

U of M has a very successful IHSA equestrian team, they train out of Willowbrook Farm with Jen Blades.

I put Cobblestone on the list because, even though they are an eventing barn, they have a really nice facility, nice people and the trainer is a former H/J pro who knows her stuff. Not everyone there does eventing; my daughter who lives in AA keeps her jumper there and there are several other H/J people boarding there as well. It is probably the most drama-free barn that she has ever been at in over 10 years of boarding and showing. :-)

Good luck!

silver_charm
Nov. 15, 2011, 11:23 AM
I'm a graduate student at U of M and I ride with Allison at Forte Farm. I love, love, love her! The barn is very relaxed and mostly adults, except for a few of Allison's lesson kids. We show on varied circuits, mostly B and A. The farm is actually called Loon River, and there's another trainer - Pam VanLoon Morrison.

Right next door to Fox Meadows is Hunter's Run, I've shown there and have a friend who lessons there and likes it. But it's a serious drive to get down there and not one I would want to make in the winter - lots of narrow country roads.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions :)

SMNG
Nov. 15, 2011, 03:40 PM
Sent you a PM!! :)