PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else madly in love with their horse?

Mukluk
Nov. 15, 2011, 12:31 AM
I got my horse three years ago. I am head over heels in love with her. She is beautiful, smart, sensitive, athletic, comical, sweet, and all around wonderful. I intend to keep her forever. Anyone else feel that way about your horse?

sansibar
Nov. 15, 2011, 12:32 AM
Yes, even though I promised I wouldn't get too attached especially with my luck with horses! But I am totally in love with Tara, she is such a good girl. Every time I go up I spend more time brushing and playing with her in the arena instead of doing actual riding. I love my horse!

MySuperExAlter
Nov. 15, 2011, 12:41 AM
About one of my horses YES. I've had him for 5 years, we've grown up together and I will have him until the day he dies. He is my absolute love. I once had a dream that we had to put him down, and I woke up actually bawling from it. It was so awful.

Simbalism
Nov. 15, 2011, 12:46 AM
Yep I am madly in love with my TB mare(chestnut at that...hehe). I have owned her since she was a year old. She is 16 this year. We have done tons of stuff together and I would be hard pressed to replace her. She is pretty, and a good mover. She jumps, trail rides the best and does whatever I ask of her. In her resume is show hunter, Combined Test, judged trail /obstacle rides,hunter paces, foxhunting, parades, camping, barrel racing, pole bending,and team penning. What's not to love?

Losgelassenheit
Nov. 15, 2011, 12:50 AM
Yes, I was. It would be an understatement to say that I was madly in love with my beautiful boy that I lost back in March of this year. He was my absolute dream come true, my rock when life went haywire, my other half. :sadsmile: My soulmate in horse form. I miss him still, every day.

http://i39.tinypic.com/vpeuzt.jpg

Mukluk
Nov. 15, 2011, 01:09 AM
Yes, I was. It would be an understatement to say that I was madly in love with my beautiful boy that I lost back in March of this year. He was my absolute dream come true, my rock when life went haywire, my other half. :sadsmile: My soulmate in horse form. I miss him still, every day.

So very sorry for your loss. Grief is the price we pay for love. Enjoy your memories of your wonderful boy.

Mukluk
Nov. 15, 2011, 01:12 AM
Yep I am madly in love with my TB mare(chestnut at that...hehe). I have owned her since she was a year old. She is 16 this year. We have done tons of stuff together and I would be hard pressed to replace her. She is pretty, and a good mover. She jumps, trail rides the best and does whatever I ask of her. In her resume is show hunter, Combined Test, judged trail /obstacle rides,hunter paces, foxhunting, parades, camping, barrel racing, pole bending,and team penning. What's not to love?

My girl is also a chestnut TB mare! We are working on jumping and hope to start eventing next year. We do lots of trail riding and horse camping. She had been on a buffalo round up and team penning a few times. Competes in trail classes and we just joined a drill team. Will also be doing our first parade in December! I just love my girl.

MySuperExAlter
Nov. 15, 2011, 01:21 AM

Sorry for your loss, beautiful horse.

englishcowgirl
Nov. 15, 2011, 01:28 AM
Oh yeah :D My girl was a polo pony, fox hunter, camp lesson horse, drill team, and a barrel/poles horse before I got her. She was a dangerous mess thanks to the teen then the gamer who had her before me... Put her back together physically and mentally and have done parades, trails, dressage, some polo, hunter/jumper and cross country with her since. She has saved my life multiple times, and has come back from what we thought was career ending lameness. We had such a good ride today it made me tear up, even more so when the aloof best came to snuggle after I put her back in her pen. I am totally smitten with this mare :D

ElisLove
Nov. 15, 2011, 01:36 AM
Yes I am madly in love with my horse. I got him just over 2 years ago when he was a very green 6 yr old just starting to show 3ft. Within a year and a half we competes in both of our very first 4' jumper competitions. He is a super sweet, kind, gentle horse who silently nickers everytime I get to the barn. We have learned so much from each other and he is seriously great, not just to ride and jump but to hug and love on!
Though he is rehabbing from an injury right now and he currently tries to buck me off at the start of each ride (getting back in shape + still not allowed to do enough exercise to burn off energy = a frisky little pony!) I still love him and will be devastated if he is not able to return to the big jumpers and I have to sell him! :( Hoping for a great recovery! Though I love him with all my heart my goal with horses is to compete at the highest level I can and we can't afford fun low level horses and have a high level horse.

myalter1
Nov. 15, 2011, 08:10 AM
me me me me me!! I love my OTTB to death... I bought him last October from the kill pen. Bought him off a picture with my credit card (stupid, right?) He is the sweetest, most loveable, handsome, good moving, thinking, feeling, horse I have ever had. It's been a rocky year with troubles getting him fat and quiet...but now after a barn change and grain change, i have an awesome project horse. He is 7, raced until he was 4 (2008) and has an old bowed tendon, which apparently then did surgery on. He's amazing. Every day, i say to DH, "did i ever tell you how much i love my horse?"

:)

horsechick
Nov. 15, 2011, 08:17 AM
Me! I've had horses for over 30 years, and although you love them all, it is a rare gift when you find the "one". Mine will be with me forever...he is such a sweet, old soul and I am blessed to have him.

naturalequus
Nov. 15, 2011, 08:18 AM
YES!!!!! I'm currently lucky enough to have 5 keepers, each special in their own way.

Two homebreds (the last foals out of one of our ranch mares) - Silver (http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/naturalequus/95%20Quarab%20Gelding/) and Koolaid (http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/naturalequus/00%20WB%20Gelding/). Both have been incredible horses over the years who have taught me so much. They were there for me when things were really tough at times in my personal life and were at times the only reason I kept going.

Losgelassenheit I'm sorry for your loss. I can sympathize - I lost one of my best horses - Cody (http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/naturalequus/RIP%2003%20Paint%20Gelding/) - last year. He truly was an amazing horse and I miss him every day. He had been previously abused but turned out to be one of my most dependable horses; we had a lot of fun together.

This guy (http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/naturalequus/02%20TB%20Gelding/) I bought off the track. When he came into our barn on the track (I groomed him) he hated men and wasn't fond of people in general (he'd likely been abused). I spent countless hours sharing my blueberry muffins with him and tending to him when he blew his front tendons in training and later bruised his heels in a race (the latter kept him stall-bound for 2 weeks :eek:). A few years later I tracked him down again and bought him. He's the biggest softie I've ever had and he really cares about his people.

This is my main jumper at the moment (http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/naturalequus/04%20TB%20Gelding%20LS/). I was told I was crazy to buy him off the track and though he's probably been one of the most challenging horses I have ever had the pleasure of working with (and sometimes he's just plain annoying), he's an incredible athlete and has come to be a great partner. He's a very silly character.

Lastly is my mare! (http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/naturalequus/07%20WB%20Mare/) I think I might be in love with her the most at the moment (*knock on wood* but I think she might be 'the one'), as she's my other jumper (prospect) and has been an absolute delight. First time I ever met her she bit me :eek: - very bold and confident. She's a wonderful horse though with a ton of spunk and a really really good brain; I'm really enjoying starting her and am really looking forward to the partnership and bond we're creating :)

My horses are very much a part of me, I don't know what I would do without them. I'm very lucky to have an SO who really understands and who isn't threatened by my love for my horses :lol:

moonriverfarm
Nov. 15, 2011, 08:36 AM
I am....what can I say? He's always glad to see me, takes great care of me, is dependable and tall and quiet. Great butt, great legs, kind eye. A solid citizen who never disappoints me. Smells good too. What's not to love about THIS guy?

betonblackjack
Nov. 15, 2011, 08:47 AM
Absolutely. I've had my gelding for over five years and we grew up together. When I was having issues with school, an eating disorder, and was at my lowest point, he was the only one that was constantly there for me. I really owe my life to my horse.

I also am madly in love with my miniature horse. Even though I've only had her a few months, she is just the sweetest animal. She came to me with very little handling, a huge attitude, and in need of weight and some cleaning up. In a very short time she went from running away from me in the field, to neighing and trotting up everytime she sees me. She loves to cuddle and puts up with all the pink and animal print halters and blankets I put on her :D

fordtraktor
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:24 AM
Yes! I am madly in love with all my horses. I should probably market one, as who in their right mind needs 4 horses, but selling horses is not my forte. Collecting horses -- now there I am a Viking!

I am actually a little under-horsed. I have a 6-stall barn, yet only 4 horses. Something is wrong with this picture -- I make sure to keep the extra stalls filled with stuff so as not to have "room" for any more.

moonriverfarm
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:36 AM
horsechick, my gelding has the same markings as yours...nothing like a bay with chrome and a sweet face!

sschuessler
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:43 AM
yup :) Love my mare and will have her until the day she dies. I have been riding her/owned her for 12 of my 15 years riding and I wouldn't trade anything for her.... not that anyone would take her if I tried to give her to them seeing as she has terrible manners when I am not there. She can't wear a halter anymore, but I still take her out to graze just by a hand on her neck, anyone else does and she sprints down the road looking back at them such to say ha ha your-not-mom! I love her to death :)

Reagan
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:45 AM
I had many horses growing up (that is what you get when you are born to a mother who loved buying and selling horses). I have loved many of the horses that I've had, some I thought were "the one". None of them have held a candle to the mare I have now. I can not say enough good things about this freaking horse. She is so sweet, so honest, well behaved (most of the time, we are going through those unpredictable baby years!) and I think she genuinely likes me, too. And it is hard to believe coming from a 4 year old but I have never felt a horse take care of me like this mare does. She will spook, feel me shift the other way and come right back underneath me, it is truly incredible!

I love this mare to bits. I normally buy and sell every year or so. I got this one as a 2 year old and I think she is going to be with me for a long time. She happened to fall in my lap when I really didn't need a horse, but the person selling her asked me to come look at her (which of course I instantly fell in love) and gave me a deal I couldn't pass up. Driving out of their farm with her on the trailer I look at her papers, we have the same birthday. May be lame and sappy, but its just one of those "maybe it's fate!" type things.

Reagan and I at the overlook where I got engaged in September (http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz149/Reagan511/ReaganandCaitatOverlook.jpg)

TheHorseProblem
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:46 AM
Every day, i say to DH, "did i ever tell you how much i love my horse?"

:)

LOL Me too!!! I bought my OTTB out of his breeder's backyard. He had been injury-plagued on the track, and when he was finally sound, he was a big disappointment, so he was sold on craigslist.

Lucky me! He is the best horse I have ever owned, in so many ways. He is easy, kind, beautiful, and dead quiet. Did I mention that he was beautiful? And game for anything.

(I just need to point out the proliferation of OTTB's in this thread.:))

vxf111
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:50 AM
I love my horses. Stoney is the ultimate teacher who taught me 90% of anything I know about riding. Somerset is a seeing eye dog who never, ever lets me down.

I do really, really love my little Frankie horse.

I bought him as a just started 3 year old sight unseen off the internet, on a whim, feeling bad for myself. The criteria was that he be: (1) resaleable; and (2) not likely to kill me. The plan was to ride him for a year, then sell him once my other gelding recovered from an injury. He's 5 now, and not going anywhere.

When he stepped off the trailer, I genuinely thought "what have I *DONE*???"

There have certainly been some ups and downs. I've had a green horse before, but that horse was an OTTB and it was just an entirely different process. The world of a growing and changing, HIGHLY ATHLETIC warmblood figuring out how to use his body certainly had some ups and downs. There were times, especially in his 4 year old year, where I thought "I will never learn to ride this horse, I need to sell this horse." The 4 year old year was 100x harder than the 3 year old year (what's up with THAT?) But it's recently started really coming together and I have NEVER had a better feeling than the feeling I get on this horse. I am far from perfect and he's still green but I cannot replicate that feeing of being one unit and having all the power in the word beneath you.

It doesn't hurt that he thinks the sun rises and sets on me.

He's not perfect, but he's mine and I love him.

As a 3 year old...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/GC4H%20Gold%20Clover%20Hunter%20Sept%2026%202009/?action=view&current=IMG_6917e.jpg

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/Ludwigs%20Corner%20Aug%207%202009/?action=view&current=00000006.jpg

As a 4 year old...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/Franklin%20Square/?action=view&current=FrankieJump2-1.jpg

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/Devon%202010/?action=view&current=ctolar-dev20101230.jpg

And now...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/Woodedge%20May%2022%202011/?action=view&current=00000001.jpg

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/Devon%202011/?action=view&current=00000002.jpg

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/FHPC%20Show%20November%205%202011/?action=view&current=IMG_0034.jpg

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/FHPC%20Show%20November%205%202011/?action=view&current=IMG_4074_JPG.jpg (my first time showing him over fences)

vxf111
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:52 AM
Losgelassenheit I am also sorry for your loss

superD
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:59 AM
I am 100% madly in love with my older boy. He is a 16.1 16 yr old TB that I have owned going on 6 yrs. and he is just the best. A total in your pocket, mushy adorable boy. We have been through a ton of different lameness issues, a severe lyme episode and EPM. He is through all that now and semi retired.

Now he keeps a close eye on the neighboring houses while in his field. He loves to be in their business all day, he finds them endlessly fascinating!!!! He also trys to keep my new younger boy in the field since he is a big fan of busting through the electric fencing!!!

I wish i could figure out how to post pics :no:

MoonRiver5
Nov. 15, 2011, 10:03 AM
OH yes. Some might call it certifiably insane... I call it madly in love. But as I once explained to an ex-boyfriend who was particularly offended by the fact that he'd always come in second, no one else will ever love me the way that my horse does, so isn't it fair that I love him right back? My horse is always happy to see me (even if I ignore him for a few days), doesn't care what I look/smell like, takes care of me no matter what, is always up for anything, and never holds a grudge, so of course I love him more than anyone else!

p.s. - moonriverfarm, you said it all! I think we have more than just screennames in common :)

Reagan
Nov. 15, 2011, 10:07 AM
I wish i could figure out how to post pics :no:

upload your pictures onto Photobucket.com or one of the other similar sites and they will provide you a link you can post :)

ohrebecca
Nov. 15, 2011, 10:53 AM
Yes, and my mare was supposed to be a project horse that I was going to sell, but life got in the way of backing/breaking her, so by the time that happened, I knew she was mine forever :)

Now that she's broke and we're back in a lesson program, she amazes me every day. She's willing, but opinionated, which can also describe me :) She's pretty much the equine equivalent of me, and I sometimes can't even believe how lucky I am to have found her.

Vesper Sparrow
Nov. 15, 2011, 10:56 AM
Yeah, another chestnut TB mare lover, in this case my trainer's, who I am half-leasing. She's only six, and an absolute sweetheart--quiet yet forward, smart, level-headed, brave and gives her utmost most of the time. Not to mention lovely gaits. I just adored her the moment I got on her. My trainer foxhunts her (first fieldmaster's horse) and I ride her most of the rest of the time.

I love my TB gelding, too, but it's a more complicated relationship. He's the same age as the mare but super intelligent, very opinionated and much more exacting about how he needs to be ridden. He's a darling and has never done anything to endanger me but that brain of his works overtime and he needs to interact constantly with his rider. I have to keep my wits about me when I ride him while she is a vacation in Tahiti relatively speaking. Both are darlings on the ground, though.

equinedriver
Nov. 15, 2011, 11:14 AM
I have had horses more than 30 years. Although I have often owned the horse lusted after by others I was ALWAYS on the search for the next horse. Until now. I have a horse that I first saw as a baby with his mother, then as a yearling, tried to buy him spring of his two year old year and finally got him bought as an unbroke 2 year old that Nov. I LOVE this horse and for the first time in my life, am NOT looking for the next one. He is now 7 and is lusted after by others LOL. This last weekend I took him on an outing where there were 50 plus horses, I am in Aiken. I was surprised by the number of people there that came up and said that my horse was their favorite horse in the whole area. I had a very successful show horse that I had shown for 5 years when I made the decision to make this one THE horse. My trainer was pretty angry, until she saw this one, and I gave the other horse to a top level trainer competitor to replace her world championship horse who was 16. Stupid decision financially but I don't have to worry about where the horse is and he is a much better horse than the one she was retiring. It will be fun to see what they can do.

I saw him for the first time in a year last spring and had NO pangs of regret. LOVE my boy. Thanks for starting the thread.

pryme_thyme
Nov. 15, 2011, 01:14 PM
I totally am!
Though we did have a rough patch when I first purchased her. She was the cuckoo filly that everyone loved to look at but hated to handle, very pushy and baby-ish.

She has come a looonng way in the past 14 months I have had her. I had my "ah'hah" moment this summer and the love grew from there.
(My deciding factor in keeping her was when I took her to her first show to hang out at the show grounds and get used to the atmosphere. She was a champ. We schooled on the grounds and stood by the ring all afternoon eating our lunch. That is when I knew I should have more faith in her, "trust your horse" as they say.)

Now, every new thing I teach and she picks up I cannot stop bragging to my fellow horsey co-worker.

oharabear
Nov. 15, 2011, 01:26 PM
I really try not to fall in love with my horses, since I like to get projects to flip, but inevitably I end up loving them and have a hard time selling them later on. Which is why I currently have 4 in my barn. I only wanted ONE for me- my "heart horse" if you will. But I can't pick just one so I have four....

*sigh*

Perfect10
Nov. 15, 2011, 01:31 PM
I am madly in love with my two boys, and I'm still in mourning over losing my third 5 months ago. I've had Hampton for 9 years, we grew up together, and every day I am astounded by his intelligence and sense of humor. My boyfriend works at the barn with him while I'm at school, and tells me about his antics daily. He makes friends with mice and stray cats, can walk himself from the stall to the pasture, and constantly does something to attract attention.

Albert is my retired boy and I adore him. The lady who has him sends me pictures regularly and I'm like a proud parent showing all my friends. He's difficult to work with, but I spent hours fighting for him and ended up crying in his stall. And even though he tried to bite me when I was trying to show him how much i loved him, I still fought for him and will forever.

My third boy, Casey, died of botulism. Riding, he was impossible to figure out and didn't forgive mistakes, but I could never give up on him, and not just because he was talented. I spend as much time as they would allow in his stall at the equine hospital, and losing him was devastating.

I adore all of my horses, which is why I could never sell them! They're mine for life, because getting rid of them would be like getting rid of a part of me.

drawstraws
Nov. 15, 2011, 01:34 PM
Me, me, me!! I'm 37 years old and completely goofy about my current gelding. I've had many horses over the years, since I was 14, but none have been "mine" the way this one is. He's our last homebred and even though he was supposed to be for sale as soon as he hit the ground I knew the first time I saw him I was keeping him. He's a 7 year old gelding and we show on the app circuit. When he was a yearling my friend described him as an old soul in an young body and I've always believed she's right, although he has gotten a bit more opinionated and obnoxious as he's gotten older. I see his flaws more than anyone else does (and make fun of them) but I absolutely adore him and don't plan on ever selling him. I also still own a 9 yr old half-brother and a 15 year old gelding who was our second home-bred and while I love them I have to admit it's not "as much as" this horse (but I don't tell them that because I don't want to hurt their little feelings). :)

netg
Nov. 15, 2011, 01:57 PM
This is so me, too!

I got my first horse around 26 years ago (I was discussing that with my vet last night - he did the vet check on her, and was in his 20s at the time!), and my OTTB I've had for a year and a half is THE horse of my lifetime.

The first time I saw him, I thought he was the most beautiful horse I had ever seen, and took some pictures of him jumping. I knew nothing about him at the time, much less that I would be buying him 6 months later. I wanted a dressage horse, and he was an eventer with the athleticism to go upper level. However, he had made it clear he would not accept any of the riders who tried him out - he'd start out ok, and just get worse with them. When I tried him out, he just kept getting better. Within a couple months of me getting him, he would walk away from his food to watch for me whenever he heard my truck pull in. Everyone who knew him from the time he came off the track told me he turned into a different horse when I got him - for whatever reason, we just work together. He's so talented, and so forgiving of my mistakes; I like to believe it's because I don't punish him for his mistakes, so it makes us both kinder to each other, but I think it's really just his nature. He gives me more than I ask, and comes at a gallop to wait for me to say hi when he sees me drive in. We bought a house and had horse facilities built with the express purpose of designing it to make the healthiest situation for him and his high levels of energy, and to make it so someday when it was needed he'd have a retirement home, as I hope nothing so bad ever happens that I can't keep him forever.

First pic I took of him:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2650/4022977745_1724f46b3e.jpg

Picture from last night which cracks me up, as the sedation was not yet wearing off from getting his teeth floated.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6233/6348296448_2328aa8085.jpg

lintesia
Nov. 15, 2011, 02:15 PM
If my husband knew how much I loved my horse(s), it would be grounds for divorce...

salymandar
Nov. 15, 2011, 02:15 PM
I have totally loved all my horses, the four I've actually owned, and some of those quirky individuals that I have ridden and/or groomed over the years have also found a special place in my heart, as well. Three of my four were super sweet and so well mannered, you couldn't help but love them.

But then there is the current one, who is probably one of the quirkiest of all and some days I question why I even like him, after all, he can be a bit prickly and unmannered a lot of the time. But then, that quiet almost inaudible nicker as he walks to me from his field full of lush grass as soon as I call with eyes only for me (and no I don't feed him treats!), just makes my heart melt. (he's a project, he's a project, he's a project ... ;))

TheHorseProblem
Nov. 15, 2011, 03:59 PM
I finally signed up to share photos, so here goes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69809584@N05/6347881741/in/photostream

My prince in his backyard in May '10.

Hannahxoxo
Nov. 15, 2011, 04:25 PM
I kind of have a love hate relationship with a lesson horse at my barn. I've ridden him every summer for 4 years and then I have to stop every winter cause he either hurts himself or is to much for me to handle. He's taught me so much though and he won me my very first Champion & first place ribbon. So I have to love him! Even though the last time I rode him he bucked me off. :)

hntrjmprpro45
Nov. 15, 2011, 04:28 PM
Funny that you brought this up. Just the other day my husband asked when I was going to sell Lucky (one of my favs who was bought with the intention of resale). I told him that it all depended on how he did this next show season. That is when I heard the words that I NEVER thought I would hear from my husband:

"Well, if we kept him it wouldn't be the worst thing."

What??? Apparently he and Lucky have bonded. He has ridden him a couple times, loves him and now wants to show him :).

Did I mention that my husband is awesome?

shiningwizard255
Nov. 15, 2011, 04:55 PM
Me! I intend to keep my horse til the end.

I've been lucky enough to have two heart horses, one deceased and one I own now. Both were former lesson horses of mine I took in to retire, each my favorite from two of the barns I rode in when I was younger. The horse I have now I rode for years and had a lot of "firsts" on. My deceased mare had the distinction of being the horse I first fell off of. :) It's been a privilege owning my girls and I love them both dearly.

doublesstable
Nov. 15, 2011, 05:19 PM

Beautiful face.. :( So sorry for your loss.... :cry:

doublesstable
Nov. 15, 2011, 05:21 PM
Everyone's horses are so beautiful and I can see how it's so easy to fall in love!!

I have two big furry children in my barn that I love more than words can say. I feel blessed to have them in my back yard so I can oogel at them all day long or take a walk out back just to pet their beautiful faces and tell them how much I love them...

mvp
Nov. 15, 2011, 05:22 PM
Oh, yes.

This is a plain bay gelding that I bred. Nuthin' special. Will sell his soul to the next person to offer him candy.

I love him so much that I have to make jokes about what a loser he is and how good he would taste barbeque-ed, just to keep a lid on it and not annoy other people.

Good thing he's not a child... with full doting allowed and barbeque jokes not allowed. Then I'd be your worst nightmare.

doublesstable
Nov. 15, 2011, 05:26 PM
If my husband knew how much I loved my horse(s), it would be grounds for divorce...

"like button" :)

JackandMo's Elf
Nov. 15, 2011, 05:26 PM
I say about my cutie paint, if horses had a little finger, I'd be wrapped around his...:cool:

CedarCreekJP
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:21 PM
Oh, me! Everyone I ever dated has been so jealous, but they love me unconditionally, and I can't imagine ever parting with either of them

Johnny is my Hungarian Warmblood jumper, and he is just the cockiest, most youthful horse in the world (at 15!). He is SO personable-you can read what he is thinking. We have won a blue at every show, and he has made all my dreams come true.

I actually got my Holsteiner mare, Image, off of COTH. She is my heart <3. I love her to pieces. She's the most friendly, affectionate horse, and is such a diva.

TheHorseProblem
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:36 PM
First pic I took of him:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2650/4022977745_1724f46b3e.jpg

Picture from last night which cracks me up, as the sedation was not yet wearing off from getting his teeth floated.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6233/6348296448_2328aa8085.jpg

I love your horse too.

Starda01
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:52 PM
Well,this is a great thread. I've loved just about all the horses I've ever been involved with! Unfortunately, when I was young, they got sold out from under me. So I quit riding for 30 years.

After my daughter started riding, I got back into it too. I'm like 58 yrs old going on 15. I fall for a lot of horses, so I have had to learn to restrain myself.

I never owned a horse until I was about 50 yrs old. Jimmy was a school horse that kept dumping kids and so the trainers wouldn't use him. I had been riding him because no one else wanted to. After Hurricane Katrina took the roof off the barn, the BO said, "take him, pay my later". He was already supposed to have been 15 yrs old, but I thought, its ok, he can be my mount for a couple of years while my daughter grows into him. Sadly, I couldn't keep him sound, so I sent him to live with my sister, in retirement.

My current horse, another one that just crossed my radar. He's a big, 17 hand, dark bay TB. A guy at my barn had him when he was very young for a couple of years and really did a number on him. Right up my alley, a beautiful horse with issues. No one wanted him because of the way his former owner had ridden/trained him. They were actually afraid of him.

But I knew he had a good head, and was all heart. So when the guy defaulted on his board, I got him. It is a long story, there were 2 other people who went in with me, but long story short, I ended up with him.

We've been through some rough patches, but I think I have a very nice horse now. He really does take my breath away, and every time I look at him, I fall in love all over again. I've learned so much with him. He's only 8, and I hope to keep him a long time. I want to do all sorts of things with him, not just jumpers.

I waited all my life to have a horse like him. :)

mojo7777
Nov. 15, 2011, 09:52 PM
I am way too old to be loving my horse as much as I do, but he is my dream come true that I've waited (almost lterally) 50 years for. I've owned other horses in my life, but this $1,800 ottb is everything I've ever wanted. I'm besotted and still can't believe he's mine!

bjd2013
Nov. 15, 2011, 10:54 PM
I have never been one to be attached to a horse, but I am absolutely in love with my horse. I have owned him for about a year and a half and showed him a year before. We have a bond, and he is actually one of the only horses I have "clicked" with! I love him very much, and plan on owning him until the day he dies.

Here he is with a trainer and the other is with me.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/390193_10150543879852586_662477585_11651066_798922 778_n.jpg -with trainer.
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/36647_452619682585_662477585_6219803_3138647_n.jpg- with me.

vxf111
Nov. 15, 2011, 11:30 PM
I see why these horse are so loveable, I'm smitten with lots of them!

Bluesy
Nov. 16, 2011, 01:31 AM
Yes. Bluesy is the love of my life - And I've owned him for around 15 years. He's an OTTB, so he's sensitive, sweet, gentle and very kind. I've shown him in hunters, jumpers, equitations, western & English pleasure, I believe trail class, gymkhanas...he's great on the trail and pretty much has the best manners of any horse...

And he's the cutest thing ever.

The other day we played with scary stuff. So now I can wield an umbrella whilst near and on top of him, and we learned how to drag stuff behind him.

He's just supercalufragilisticexpualidocious!

luchiamae
Nov. 16, 2011, 01:36 AM
I just love horses, just in general. I think they are the most beautiful, loyal, soft-hearted creatures ever to exist.

And of course, I love my own horses :)

Mukluk
Nov. 16, 2011, 01:47 AM
So nice to read everyone's stories. I love my mare and I think she is the best horse in the world. Those who love their horses are lucky indeed!

abv1269
Nov. 16, 2011, 08:19 AM
How can you not love them? The first horse that I ever owned did his best to kill me, but I loved that booger to bits.

After a long time off from riding, I was blessed to be able to lease and then buy the Sainted Mare. The Sainted One has not only put up with my shenanigans, she truly looks at my kids as her foals and takes absolute care of them. Licks and grooms them, carries them around on her back with ears flicking back constantly to check on her young charge.

She'll go like a bat out of Hades in the jumper ring with me, will hunt down a fence and just pick one on her own if I don't tell her where to go fast enough, and then she'll turn around and pack my beginner boy around a set of 2' fences like a pleasure horse.

I never thought I'd have a horse again, much less be blessed wit one as lovely as she is. The best part is that not only am I crazy in love with her, my kids are as well. So is half the barn.

Umm, yeah, I've got it bad...:D

besttwtbever
Nov. 16, 2011, 08:29 AM
YES! My current horse is the best horse a person could ask for. He's my sould mate in horsey form! He's that once in a lifetime horse and I tell him he's the best everyday. I am always telling people that I wish I could meet a man like him. He's flashy, handsome, personable, comical, kind, willing, a gentleman and an amazing athlete.

He's honest as the day is long, scopey as any horse out there, always jumps with knees square and up to his eyeballs no matter where you get him to the fence. Not to mention he's game for absolutely anything! We've done a lot of trail riding, gone swimming, done hunter paces, showed USEF H/J stuff (and done relatively well I might add), gymkahna and he's loved and done really well at every one. I've had him since he was 4 (he's 13 now) and I've loved every day I've had with him and hope for many many more to come.

My only regret is that I didn't and still don't have the money to show him more because I know he would clean up!

I could talk about him all day so I should probably stop now. It's so great to see others out there who love theirs as much as I love mine.

netg
Nov. 16, 2011, 09:58 AM
I love your horse too.

Because of your location, now I'm wondering if you actually know him! :lol: I think you're in CA - and he's competed there (at Galway) before I had him... :)

Summit Springs Farm
Nov. 16, 2011, 10:33 AM
YES, you can see in my sig line!:)

OneGrayPony
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:50 AM
I've loved every horse I've ever owned, some more than others. My current guy is very very very special to me though. Despite his greenness, he's the easiest horse to deal with...like...ever. Trailering? No problem. Shoeing? No problem. Shots and deworming? Don't even need a halter. Jumps? Point and shoot (though he's not very adjustable...so we're working on that) Trail rides? Yep. Trail rides alone? Yep.

His whole attitude is "what can I do for you ma'am?" which is far far different from the last...erm...good few horses that I've owned (with the exception of my first complete green bean, who was a saint).

He is without a doubt the most fun horse I've ever had, and because I can do anything with him, he makes me feel like a kid again. I almost lost him during a freak colic episode due to ulcers last month, and it was horrible.

He may not be the hack winner. He may not ever win a class (though he's quite a good jumper). He may not be the most attractive beast on the farm (his perpetually loose lower lip precludes that from being the case).

But he's priceless. Totally and utterly priceless.

TheHorseProblem
Nov. 16, 2011, 12:45 PM
Because of your location, now I'm wondering if you actually know him! :lol: I think you're in CA - and he's competed there (at Galway) before I had him... :)

Actually, I've never been to Galway, although the brother of the BO used to be the BO down there, so small world.

I know very few eventing peeps around here.

But we've already decided our horses must be related. :)

netg
Nov. 16, 2011, 01:46 PM
Actually, I've never been to Galway, although the brother of the BO used to be the BO down there, so small world.

I know very few eventing peeps around here.

But we've already decided our horses must be related. :)

:lol:

See, proof I don't track posters based on previous discussions. :lol:

I remember the discussions... :)

kinnip
Nov. 16, 2011, 01:58 PM
I usually stick to the dressage discussions, but I can't pass up an opportunity to brag on my Spanky. He is sooo my horse. He's every girl's dream-- a bad boy who's only good for his one and only. It hasn't always been rainbows and ice cream cones with him, but I can say with all honesty that we're as bonded as a horse and human can be. He is all mine, and I'd sell everything in the barn and my Mama before I parted with him.

harkington
Nov. 16, 2011, 02:00 PM
These posts are all so nice, love it!

My horse is my soul mate. I'd always assumed it would take several partnerships horse-wise to find my equine match, but this guy is it. I loved my old pony, sure, he was a great little guy and selling him was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. But my relationship with my current horse goes above and beyond that.

He is not flashy nor does he have a great jump. Granted, he is a decent mover and does have a good form when put to the right spot, but he is no 'Winner'. He is way to big for me and not exactly well-proportioned, with a neck about as long as a bus. He is a hard keeper who hates being alone. He has many 'flaws', but he is my heart horse. He does whatever is asked of him and always tries his best. He is a safe ride, but not push button- my coach has commented on how he takes care of me but makes me ride. He has a heart of gold and I owe him my sanity.

As a student, I try to be realistic about the fact that right now, my scholarships, savings and family have enabled me to keep him at a reasonably-priced place with good care and the opportunity to work off some costs, but this may not always be the case. However, I will do everything in my power to keep this guy for as long as I can. When I think about my future 15 years down the road, he is the one standing in my backyard with a sway back and gray hairs, but the same face that melts my heart on a daily basis right now.

Spud&Saf
Nov. 16, 2011, 02:05 PM
Yep. She's my soul mate and my best friend. Every day I am thankful to have her and I will keep her until her last day.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2560000730104584931VwXcZH

quietann
Nov. 16, 2011, 07:03 PM
Yep. She's beautiful, honest, well-trained, fancy, and just enough of a challenge for me.

HorseLoverJana
Nov. 16, 2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks to the OP for starting it!

And I am completely, head over heels, beyond in love with my horse! :yes:

My DH - fortunately for us both - totally gets my passion and just smiles and nods as I go on and on about my... er, our boy.

Donkerbruin
Nov. 16, 2011, 10:45 PM
I am completely in love with my old hunter pony. She hauled my butt around from crossrails through large pony hunter until I got too big for her. She's not a fancy little thing, but she beat all those fancy ponies! We regularly beat a pony finals winner :cool:. She is so full of personality; I can almost hear what she's saying. We were offered over twice what we paid for her on a couple of occasions, but we couldn't bear to sell her. So, we leased her out a couple of times until she got to retirement age...she is now 27 and lives at our barn that my dad fixed up, very contentedly pinning her ears back at everything :lol:.

LEL
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:01 PM
I am madly in love with my gelding. I've had him almost four years now, and I like him more each day. He can be moody, has a temper, and sometimes pretends he's wild, but I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Typical Gus Face: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2840753010100078212oYYZSV

vineyridge
Nov. 17, 2011, 12:58 PM
I can't help it. I read the title and immediately think of Doug Spinks. :(

tidy rabbit
Nov. 17, 2011, 01:05 PM
My boy Aero. He makes me want to be a better horsewoman & rider. To me he is the be-all-end-all.

:cool:

KateKat
Nov. 17, 2011, 01:38 PM
definitely! Part of it is she's my very first horse EVER and the other part is that she's just freaking AWESOME. She is beautiful and athletic, and can be a handful and hot at times, but she is just safesafesafe with a super sane mind. She isn't push button, but she can also take a joke. She has taught me SO much in the past year (although the learning curve is a steep one and I'm still climbing it, lol) and I plan to have her forever, and maybe even try to get my next riding horse out of her. I couldn't have asked for a better equine partner and friend.

PaintPony
Nov. 17, 2011, 02:14 PM
I WAS in love with my horse. She was the horse of a lifetime. The kind you only get once.

It's been almost 6 years since she passed away. :(

I do have another horse now who I adore, but it's not the same thing. I actually cried the day (4 years ago) when the new horse arrived. And not from happiness.

But I'm a better person for having had her in my life - better to have loved and lost...?

Sport
Nov. 17, 2011, 02:31 PM
I have two.

I love Fog, he is my confidant, the best at drying my tears and the biggest clown. Everyone that meets Fog loves him. He is just a lovable guy. He is 26 and I dread the day that he leaves me behind.

I also have Sport. After having Fog, I didn't think there could be another heart horse, let alone 2 at a time. Sport isn't the cuddly sort and likes to keep one on their toes, but he kind of grows on you. I often say that we have a love hate relationship, in that we love to hate each other, but I realized recently that is not true. He is as much a rock in my life as Fog is, but just in a different manner. He greets me with a winny as soon as my car pulls up, even if he is in the barn and can't see me he still starts talking. He looks for me when he is nervous about something. I realize that our relationship is more of a 2 way one than the one I have with Fog.

Both horses are awesome and I know I will be devastated when either one go.

Trevelyan96
Nov. 17, 2011, 02:39 PM
I am definitely in love with my guy. I've had him for 7 years and he will be with me for life. Most people think he has no personality, until they spend some time around him, then they all decide he's an unbelievable sweetheart with just enough spice to make him interesting.

Luckily, he adores me too.

GraceLikeRain
Nov. 17, 2011, 11:00 PM
My mare has my heart.

I sold her for 16 months and found her just before she was given away when the family could no longer afford her. I got back a neglected, spooky, scared horse. To her the world was terrifying and she simply shut down.

For a long time didn't know if she would ever fully recover but each day she amazes me with her resilience and desire to please me.

I love this horse more than I ever thought I could love an animal. She is not perfect, but she is perfect for me.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/GraceLikeRain1990/Weight%20and%20Muscle%20changes/canter.jpg

shadowanne
Nov. 17, 2011, 11:24 PM
I've loved my gelding, Sam, from the very first ride. He's everything I need right now with room to grow. We've been a pair for less then a year now, but I'm looking forward to all the years ahead with my special boy. :)

He takes such good care of me. I love him.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6107/6356695889_0d7ecce55a_b.jpg

horsietalk
Nov. 18, 2011, 12:58 AM
YES!!! I love my horse and tell him so every day. For the most part he is a very willing guy who just wants to please. He definitely makes me work though. If I do make a mistake he is very forgiving. He has saved my butt many a times. Out of the 5 horses I have owned in my lifetime I have never bonded with one like I have with him. I know he adores me just as much too. I would not sell him for anything... seriously. He has a forever home with me.

shohanna
Nov. 18, 2011, 10:29 PM
I read so many of these posts, both happy and sad. I too have always loved horse...dreamed about them before I ever owned one. I had my first horse just shy of 30 years (I was eleven, he was 9 months). We grew up together, he was such a naughty boy at times :eek: and had so much character. He ended up (after my many mistakes) an incredible animal. We could practically read each others minds. I don't think I will ever meet another like him. I wouldn't be the horse person I am today without him. I miss him all the time....

I now have two girls, both rescues. They needed me and I needed them. I guess to me they are more like dogs than horses and I love them dearly. One is an OTTB and she hasn't been easy but I love her no matter what. The other is a Perch/TB cross and she is amazing. They will be with me forever and I feel I owe that to them.

aadams89
Nov. 18, 2011, 11:33 PM
What beautiful pictures everyone has!
I am lucky to have several very special horses in my life. However, the horse that truly has my heart is my mare Missy. Missy is a little Argentine polo pony. She's a horse that gives me everything she has every time i ride her. She excels both on the field and in the ring. When I got her, she was a nervous wreck and was very aggressive. While she can still be difficult for others, she has for some chosen to put 100% trust in me. I feel so lucky to have her and say thanks every time I'm on her back. It's easy to tell who she is, because every time I come back from a ride on her, I have a huge smile on my face.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/agfrider/321254_2472878352340_1563840056_32660338_110850690 _n.jpg