PDA

View Full Version : How to Store Show Tack during the Off Season?

NotAtTheBarn
Nov. 15, 2011, 12:07 AM
I have a nice pair of CWD/Equifit open front boots that I like to save for show season, and during the off season I use an older pair of Eskadrons. I have been storing all of my other tack in a rubbermaid container in my room, and only the open front boots seem to keep gathering mold! I have another pair of CWD boots in that same storage container, but only the Equifit boots are molding! How do I keep them from molding? I'm getting sick of cleaning them every week even though they're not being used! I make sure that they are completely dry and have tried different cleaners - CWD cleaner & conditioner, Lexol, everything...help me store my tack better!

BAC
Nov. 15, 2011, 01:12 PM
You could try cleaning them with a water and ammonia solution in hopes of killing off the spores that must be living in them, but I dislike using ammonia on such good leather. I use Damp Rid (comes in a variety of forms, including packets) in my locker at the barn, try throwing a couple of those in the container with your tack. And there are products (Leather Therapy, Effax) that claim to prevent mold from appearing, you use them to clean and/or condition. But I would try storing them someplace other than the Rubbermaid container, I put some of my stuff in pillow cases and leave them in my linen closet, or in bridle bags in my closets.

DressageOverFences
Nov. 15, 2011, 01:31 PM
I keep all my nice show tack in my room when im not using it, its easier in the end because im not diligent about checking something when I dont use it and I would hate to look at it next year and see that its ruined.
It also makes me feel extra horse-y when someone goes to get something in a closet and there's a bridle in there. :)

SunshineSummertime
Nov. 15, 2011, 02:44 PM
try an open box of baking soda...it has worked in my very damp tack room...can't remember why it is- but I think that's the trick for me!

DMK
Nov. 15, 2011, 02:51 PM
maybe try storing them in a more breathable container? A bridle bag or cardboard box?

I keep my show bridles on a hook in the same closet as my boots/helmet, but I also have a couple bridle bags hanging in the guest bedroom closet with all my spare bridles/halters/parts - those stay mostly mold free although I check it once a year and once I did find one piece that was a bit suspect. I think the key is to also check in the early summer if you have humidity and open windows in the spring. Clean stuff just before you close everything up and turn on the A/C if you are down here in the southeast, aka Humidity Central.

NotAtTheBarn
Nov. 17, 2011, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the ideas!! Anyone else do anything different to store their show tack during the off season?

tamarak_equestrian
Nov. 17, 2011, 01:42 AM
We turned one end of our laundry room into a tack room of sorts, so I have a saddle stand, bridle racks, hooks to hang my fake tails and leather halters on, baskets to put wraps and stuff in, cupboards for towels and tack cleaning stuff, etc. Best idea we've ever had! Keeps everything so much more organized.

Across Sicily
Nov. 17, 2011, 04:17 AM
I have Antares boots that will mold in about 2.3 seconds. Grr.

I've cleaned them with all kinds of things not good for leather and they were STILL molding. By all accounts, they shouldn't have been, but there you go.

So I took them out of their rubbermaid container, cleaned them up really well, and put them in their spiffy Antares bag in the closet (hanging up, lots of airflow) and left the door open. No mold (so far). YAY!

I've been keeping my show bridle and various other bits of spare tack in this situation and they've been doing well. If anything they get a wee bit dry, but oiling them every couple of months will do the trick I am sure.

Void
Nov. 17, 2011, 10:36 AM
I keep all my clean show tack on a shelf in my closet, they aren't stored in any containers and look great.