PDA

View Full Version : Another critique thread :)

Starda01
Nov. 14, 2011, 08:31 PM
Hello everyone. I posted on here about the fall I took that fractured my tailbone. So I had not been riding my horse for 4 weeks and I contracted to have my trainer and another rider ride him in the interim. It went well, maybe too well for them, since they both wanted to show him.

Anyway, I consented to have one of them ride him at our local unrated show, and they chose the 3'3" -3"6" level. Mind you, its the first time he's competed at this level, so be gentle, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihBaN9xlm6Y

I'd like your opinions as to his round. Thanks in advance.:)

GoForAGallop
Nov. 14, 2011, 08:33 PM
There's nothing to critique. ;)

Starda01
Nov. 14, 2011, 08:34 PM
Sorry, I fixed that.

doublesstable
Nov. 14, 2011, 08:41 PM
Sorry you had an injury!! I hope you are able to get back in the saddle very soon.

As far as the horse; is he young? IMHO - he seems to jump with his front legs under his shoulder. Maybe some gymnastics to help him...

What does your trainer say? He looks like an extremely experienced rider.

Hevonen
Nov. 14, 2011, 09:10 PM
He's super cute, and looks like he likes his job!

I agree with doublesstable, he looks like he's jumping over his shoulder. IMO he needs to learn to sit more before the fence. As it is, he looks like he tends to get a little long and flat before some of the fences, missing his distance and then subsequently taking a rail.

The fences he gets to well he jumps nicely! I think that gymnastics/grids would really help him learn to sit and use his front end more effectively. High crossrails are great for this.

Neely
Nov. 14, 2011, 09:12 PM
Your horse is very cute and looks sweet. I agree, looks like he could use some gymnastics to sharpen up his front end. Also, all due respect, the rider looks like he puts him past the distance on several of these jumps.

hydro101
Nov. 14, 2011, 09:14 PM
Your horse is very cute and looks sweet. I agree, looks like he could use some gymnastics to sharpen up his front end. Also, all due respect, the rider looks like he puts him past the distance on several of these jumps.

Agree, agree, and agree. :) Your horse looks VERY capable of this height (and likely much more!) but the fences to not back him off, and the rider certainly didnt help back him off in more than just the knocked instances. Proper gymnastics will fix both problems. Your guy looks like a go-getter! :)

ElisLove
Nov. 14, 2011, 09:16 PM
I probably wouldn't allow that rider to jump school any horse but a school horse type. He really didn't do that horse any favors, your horse is very honest so that's a plus. Of course hurry it and bury it too many times and you may not have such an honest horse.

Cacique
Nov. 14, 2011, 09:22 PM
I like him a lot and agree with the above posters about the gymnastics. I would also note that I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the bit situation he has. It is, of course, hard to tell from a single video, but he is curled up in his neck and BTV at the beginning, which is the exact opposite of what he needs (to rock back and see the jumps). Seeing the jumps could be part of the problem in those rails getting knocked up front. He will also probably become an easier ride to the fences and after them when he has been tightened up over the gymnastics so his bitting can be reevaluated again at that point. Overall, he looks like he could be a lot of fun at this level with a little more experience at the height!

Starda01
Nov. 14, 2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the input, I think you guys have really good insights. He was rather abused, used hard with his first owner. I've worked hard to get him to relax. I think my rider needs to relax too, to be honest.

Yeah, I too think the gymnastic would help. This was the first time he'd been competed over a course at this height. Really I think he could've been been schooled a bit more. He seems to have come through things ok though. He really is fun and all heart.

alterhorse
Nov. 14, 2011, 10:39 PM
In my opinion the rider is not adjusting early for the distances or arriving at the fence with a balanced horse.

For comparison I'd really like to see this horse go with a smaller lighter rider who can sit deeply with soft hands and control this horses pace to create a distance to the jump. I'm not sure that I like the choice of bit without first seeing it in another riders hands.

I'd be concerned that riding him through the fences like this will result in bad habits, and I agree that he might improve from appropriate schooling.

I like the horse, and I see that the rider does have experience, but I'm not sure I like them as a team.

Please view the above as opinions only, and they could all be completely wrong. But they are the thoughts I had when I watched the video.