PDA

View Full Version : Help teach me how to better critque conformation....

TatteredDaydreamer
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:51 PM
Alrighty, I don't have any prospects in the near future nor the means to start looking, but when I can again I want to be as knowledgeable as possible. I tend to get "blinded" so to speak by a pretty head or a very nice over-all package or look, and miss the nit picky things that sometimes are very important. So, I'm going to post some links to a few OTTB's that I like for on reason or another, and I'd love to hear your opinions. Which do you like? Which do you dislike? Why? Would you pick one over the other? Why? Thanks so much everyone. Look forward to learning!

http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=thoroughbreds&action=display&thread=296

http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=thoroughbreds&action=display&thread=293

http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=thoroughbreds&action=display&thread=242

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5090:update-102911-price-reduced-mallorys-valentine&catid=58:pa-trainer-listings

doublesstable
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:59 PM
I might not be much help because there is too much to say.. other than I like Gilt Edged - really cute and it makes me want another horse (thanks) Which I don't need.

I just liked his legs, head, and with some weight and out of race condition, proper trim he may be very nice H/J horse. A bit long in the cannon bone but hard to tell with those feet.

First horse and second horses legs I didn't like... second horse very straight in the hind, LONG pasterns but an uber adorbale face. First horse left front ankle scary and has that "stubborn" horse head bump. Now not that anything is wrong with that; I have had two horses with it so that's more of me and my superstitions...

Fourth horse looked too small for my taste...

TatteredDaydreamer
Nov. 14, 2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks! Anyone else?

Hauwse
Nov. 14, 2011, 08:43 AM
I don't mean to go off on a conformation is not the be all end all tangent, but it simply is not, it is just the beginning.

If you are not a conformation expert, think balance. The basic theory behind conformation is balance, a horses body should be balanced and if all the parts and pieces do not balance there may be issue's. Also anything that does not match up, or looks odd probably is a conformation flaw. A hoof that has a different angle than the others, probably club or coon footed. Ankles that are too long or have angles different than the rest of the leg, and foot, probably too long, too straight, too much angle, etc.

I know some individuals who conformation geniuses and they know by simply looking over the overall picture if something is off.

Anyhow, I personally like the Mallory filly.

The pictures are not great, but I do see enough to say that her conformation is not perfect. She looks to be tied in ( her tendons up front tie in closer to her knee, not a straight line from her pasterns to her knee), She is a little Straight behind, or a little sickle hocked ( her cannon is not square with the point of her butt, so she stands a little under herself ), her hip is not in line with her back joint ( the point of her hip is a little in front of the lumbosacral joint ), and she looks to be a little bit over at the knee.

I also like the Pure Business mare, but not as much. She is again, a little straight behind, her pasterns are a little long, and she has some rounding of the right front pastern which looks like it comes from a slight deviation in the upper leg, as it not completely square.

All the above being said, if it were me I would take a chance on the Mallory mare with the information I have, a picture, but I would be taking a chance, because without more information, movement, attitude, the interest in my discipline, and their natural jump it is a 50/50 chance whether they are legitimate prospects for our discipline.

alto
Nov. 14, 2011, 11:19 AM
Sorry this is OT but ...
how did things work out with Spinach?
:)

TatteredDaydreamer
Nov. 14, 2011, 07:40 PM
Unfortunately I was unable to half lease Spinach due to a crazy car accident/lack of funds. He's a lovely boy though. There's a chance we maybe getting a mare at the farm I'm currently riding at, that's much closer to home. Thanks guys, keep the info coming!