PDA

View Full Version : Funny and bad falls! Do tell

gallopinggal
Nov. 13, 2011, 08:14 PM
I always (as bad as it sounds) enjoy hearing people's stories of falling of mainly because after some time passes every one looks back and has good humor about it. Please share your bad or funny falls whether they are jumping or on the flat.

One of my funny falls was that i was riding this little pony bareback in the snow and she was a bit jumpy. I'd ridden her numerous times, all bareback, but she did not like the snow. I was heading towards the trails and she reared, did a 180 and then just stopped. I stayed on for the rear but as soon as she spun that behind of hers around I was on the icy gravel driveway in no time! :lol: She just looks at me like "Well, it WAS scary ok! Weren't you scared too?"

As for one of my bad falls....was test riding a mare that i was considering leasing. GIANT 16.3 hand xracehorse and x-eventer. She was 22 yr and 'bombroof' and 'kidsafe' and 'anyone can ride' as they said. SO NOT TRUE. It wasn't that she was spooky but she was FAST. She just wanted to go go go. I got on her and within three minutes of being on her she decided to take a hike and took off galloping for the high way!:eek: My mom's eye balls were as big as saucers and the owner was screaming at me but I didn't hear any of it. All I was thinking of is "I really don't want ot get hit by a car so I think I should bale now----" then she spun away from the road at the last second and I went one way and she went the other. Landed on my back and bruised my tail bone and lower back and pinched a nerve in my neck.

Phew. I've had several other falls and broken my collar bone too but now I wanna hear YOUR stories. :)

Calvincrowe
Nov. 13, 2011, 08:34 PM
I haven't ever had a funny fall--I tend to break, not bounce.

Which leads to my bad fall:

(I suppose the beginning is funny...)

My horse doesn't like cows, especially the mooing of cows. I was in a lesson, nearly 2 years ago, now, when my dear friend "Jane" began mooing like a cow, while I was jumping around. As I came up the line, by the open side of our indoor, I was laughing hysterically, and not really...well...focused. Mr. Horse and I became discombobulated and he stopped--not dirty, just "hey, lady, um..yeah, that distance you're seeing..kind of too long for a 2'9" oxer...just sayin'". I rolled off his left shoulder and in trying to avoid landing IN the jump, I curled and landed ON the ground line. All my weight, concentrated on the upper 3 inches of my left arm.

I broke the head of the humerus into pieces (at least 4), broke 3-5 ribs (that was never made clear to me) and the tip of my shoulder blade. 3 surgeries, months in rehab, injection, more rehab and nearly a year out of the saddle.

All in all, pretty sucky. But, like a true horseman, I made a sling from my belt, drove myself to the hospital and asked my surgeon how soon I'd be riding again. He shook his head, and said "you horse people, all crazy!"

Hannahxoxo
Nov. 13, 2011, 08:55 PM
Both of my most recent falls have looked pretty nasty but weren't too bad. Now I am usually really good at staying on but this year has just kinda went down hill...

1st fall was off the cute chestnut "hony" We were cantering towards a 2'6 jump and at the base of the jump he did a nasty refusal and I went flying through the standard. It all happened so fast! I wasn't hurt at all(surprisingly.. since I DID kinda take out that standard with my arm. -_-) Just shocked.

2nd fall happened when the horse I had ridden had an entire week off. He was being really "frisky". He does annoying little shenanagins a lot & I've never fallen off because of them... but we were cantering around the corner of the ring and he let out a MASSIVE buck. Next thing I am staring right at the sky while flying atleast 5 feet.... then I see the dirt... but I must have been going so fast I managed to flip over IN THE AIR and land on my butt.... It was the scariest fall I've had & it really hurt my bum. :(

But I am so grateful and lucky that I didn't hurt myself badly on either fall. Both could have ended so badly!!!

Losgelassenheit
Nov. 13, 2011, 09:13 PM
I'll play :D

Funny fall: Riding pony bareback who had just been clipped (show sheen to the max) when something in the adjoining field beside the ring spooked him. He does a little scoot to the right and I proceed to slip to the left, temporarily :D catching my balance on my left leg. The inertia however carries me forward at a much higher rate of speed than my other leg can take the next step, so it was kind of a land--delayed hop--trip, then SPLAT. Flat out on my face. :lol: I couldn't stop laughing, even as I laid there on the ground.

Bad fall: X-mas EVE. Schooling greenie-beanie over the open water (6') for the first time. We manufacture it, but he jumps it, so I figure once more just to polish our approach. I pop him over a small vertical before heading back to the water, but on landing he starts shaking his head. My gut tells me to pull up but in my brain all I hear is my trainer from the pony days yelling at me "YOU'D HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT IN THE SHOW RING! KEEP GOING! :mad:" (He was a fire-breather, oh yes :lol:) So I press him on. We make the turn, he shakes his head again (3 strides out) and a bug flies out. My eyes are huge but we're right there, I say GO and he says NO. ADIOS! and veers right. I of course veer left.

I thought I broke my back at first the way I'd landed. :eek: My upper body was straight but my hips were twisted to the right, with my legs contorted to the left. I wiggled my toes, and since they moved I started to drag myself back up. Friend brought the horse back, I climbed back on, flatted for a few minutes, and we jumped around a few other small jumps before going back to the water, which he jumped beautifully. It wasn't until I hopped off him that I felt my left leg drop out from the socket.

Went to the hospital thinking maybe it was just dislocated. They flexed the joint all over & said it was fine, that I'd be home within the hour. Nurse came in and took my vitals just for routine and was disturbed by my abnormally low blood pressure. Another nurse came in to stick my finger, and she couldn't get any blood. Next thing I know, there are 5 nurses & a doc trying to get an IV into my arm (then hand, wrist, ankle) to no avail. I get carted off to MRI, CT scan, and x-ray, and lo & behold, I've cracked the socket and sheared off a chunk of my hip bone with the muscle still attached, which is now bleeding internally. Doc then tells me I'm going into surgery the next morning. The minor details are fuzzy at this point, but I do remember asking if I was being Punk'd. :lol:

I was out for the whole season, bedrest for 4 months, then had 6 months of PT after it. I'll tell you, nothing was more frustrating than mentally knowing that I SHOULD be able to complete such a simple task like lifting a 5lb weight with my leg, but physically being absolutely incapable. Yeah.. that was a bad year!

cottonXCblondie
Nov. 13, 2011, 09:26 PM
i fell off of a green horse named Poco about 12 years ago. it was bareback day at the end of the lesson season and we all went through the pond. upon coming out of the water, he freaked out at the water dripping off of him and took off and headed straight for a tree, where i had to duck, and come off.

my most recent fall, my mare kept running out of a 2ft vertical and finally i fell to the left and went into the standard and knocked it down. i rolled right onto my feet and limped over to catch her saying "urgh you horse!" i found when i got home that the cups had ripped holes through my tights and i was bleeding everywhere.

Jive
Nov. 13, 2011, 09:36 PM
I had a total random slow motion fluke of a fall off my new jumper for the first time today. He is a dork in our indoor arena. Must be vary cautious about the big door going outside at the beginning of each ride cause clearly a horse eating monster will attack from there at any moment. Normally after a few passes each way he is fine.

Well once he stopped looking out the door I must have let my guard down a little. We were just trotting around, he spooked at something in the corner near the door instead. Did a sudden side step that normally wouldn't unseat me but not today. Started sliding off, reached a point where I could have tried to stay on but would have been in vain and just made the fall worse so I just went with it.

Horse stopped and looked at me with a total "what are you doing down there" look on his face.

Hmmm... how do I explain this one to the chiro on wed lol.

mildot
Nov. 13, 2011, 09:48 PM
I posted these two on the adult re-rider thread.

The funny. This was this Thursday night, the rut (deer mating) is in full swing.:

Oy, I'm here with a really sore right hip after Caly spooked hard at some deer that flashed by the door to the arena last night.

We were on a nice canter when we went by the open door that faces woods and she saw some deer flash by in the dark. She took off on this wild bolt and turned hard at the corner which dropped me on my hip. Luckily the footing in this place is very soft.

We finished our ride last night, but at a much lower intensity than I had planned. I could barely post, but sitting the trot and canter were fine so I drove her past the scary spot as many times as I could working transitions and some leg yields and called it a night.

Update: I rode yesterday and today and everything's fine except my RH hip is a little sore and the bruise is reaching epic proportions.

The bad. This was last March:

About a month later (second week of March) I got into a pulling match with my lesson horse while trying to slow him down. He broke into a canter and I started to lose my seat. Knowing that I was going to come off one way or the other, I decided to do it on my own as he slowed because of other horses in the arena. At that point I slid off his left side. Somehow or another my right leg stayed on his back until I was halfway down his side and I hyperextended my groin/hip joint something fierce. When I landed I lawndarted with my lumbar region first. I immediately knew something was very wrong as I could not bear any weight on my legs and it took me the best part of ten minutes to stand up. Some people wanted to call the rescue squad but I just waved them off and eventually stood up and hobbled back to my car. My right hip joint made a crunchy sensation as I did this.

I drove home and had to have my wife help me out of the car. I asked her to get the old crutches out of the closet. Once I had them I tried to hobble up the steps from the garage to the house. I couldn't even clear the first step. So I told the wifey to get her keys and drive me to the urgent care clinic.

There I got moved to the head of the line when wife told receptionist what had happened. The doc took a quick look at me and dialed 911 to get the FD EMS unit to transport me to the ER. I spent the next hour and a half in the EMS back board and didn't get unstrapped until the ran radiographs and MRI of my spine, pelvis, and hip joints. Turned out my hip was not dislocated as I though (but it had to come close), my spine was fine, internals fine, tailbone cracked, and pelvis was severely bruised with pinched nerves everywhere.

My MD did nothing to treat my injuries, even after seeing me, reading the ER report, and me telling her everything. I just got pain meds and told that I needed rest. Eventually my chiropractor cured me and now I am pain free.

mildot
Nov. 13, 2011, 09:58 PM
I had a total random slow motion fluke of a fall off my new jumper for the first time today. He is a dork in our indoor arena. Must be vary cautious about the big door going outside at the beginning of each ride cause clearly a horse eating monster will attack from there at any moment. Normally after a few passes each way he is fine.

Well once he stopped looking out the door I must have let my guard down a little. We were just trotting around, he spooked at something in the corner near the door instead. Did a sudden side step that normally wouldn't unseat me but not today. Started sliding off, reached a point where I could have tried to stay on but would have been in vain and just made the fall worse so I just went with it.

Horse stopped and looked at me with a total "what are you doing down there" look on his face.

Hmmm... how do I explain this one to the chiro on wed lol.

LOL.....I see you were done in by the horse eating monster waiting at the barn door just like I was........:lol:

Brooke
Nov. 13, 2011, 10:02 PM
Anyone know what 'star thistles' are? Bushy little bas^&%s with incredibly sharp little pricklies. I was 9 I think, riding Smokey - a clever (read too smart for his own good) little Welch pony. There was a large patch of star thistles right next to one of the fences on an outside course. Came pounding up to the fence, Smokey ducked right - I ducked left. Into the middle of the large patch of thistles. My mother was there to pull me out. Back on - second time, rinse, repeat. Mom was there once again. Third time - and I again land in the middle of the patch. My mother by this time, was laughing so hard she couldn't pull me out. It hurt to move but it hurt more to sit still. I don't remember if I ever got over that bloody jump or not. Days like that made me tough. :)

carasmom
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:04 PM
Funny fall.... Last summer, hot day and trainer decided to take some of the little girls on the school horses to play around in the XC field.
I was tacking up my bi... mare and my trainer told me to come to the field and help watch the small kids and make sure that they don't fall off. Ok, sure, sounds fun! All of the little kids are cantering around and having a good old time.
I decide to canter the witch down a little hill. Next thing I know, she puts her head down and proceeds to buck all of the way down the hill! :lol: Stayed on for about 3 bucks and came flying off. Mare runs off, breaks my favorite pair of plaited reins that are about 30 years old. Worst part was that I had to keep my language clean. It's still a barn joke!

gallopinggal
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:09 PM
LMBO:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Some of these are so funny! Keep 'em coming!

Perfect10
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:15 PM
Funny falls, I've had several.

#1- Horse stopped at a fence, put his head down and i ended up laying on his neck. Head went further down and I flipped over his head, ended up on the other side of the fence holding the browband.

#2- Pony stopped at a 2' fence, my 10 year old self went over his head and landed on the other side of the jump. He then realized he was supposed to jump the jump and jumped over me and stopped and looked around.

#3- Pony bucked through a lead change and I ended up high on his neck. I realized there was no recovering and slid off, landing on my feet, tripped on my spur and fell down.

Bad fall- Horse bucked after a fence, I went to push myself up off his neck, missed, and fell off, landing right on the top of my head. I was ok, just sore, but I was much more worried that my horse ran off then worried for my safety.

Minipony75
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:57 PM
Calvincrowe...I'll remember not to moo when hacking him.

My funniest fall is when I was bounced off my horse in a bounce lol. I was wearing a thong and ripped my jeans all the way up along the seam of my backside. My instructor didn't let me use this as an excuse and told me to do it again. It was a very cold and rainy evening and my cheek was very cold. I was so worried I was going to moon everyone as I went by that I sat up and rode better than ever. I always swore I was going to invent some backless breeches for those that like to get perchy and forward. This cured me that particular night...it was either lean and flash the world or sit up and keep some of my dignity...notice I said "some."

Calvincrowe
Nov. 14, 2011, 12:24 AM
Ah..Minipony! You have THE worst luck and it makes all of us at the barn laugh!:DYour story makes me glad I always put on clean "granny panties" and a nice, firm support bra before riding. It would be my luck to sport something sketchy and need those cute firemen to get me nekkid!:lol:

I did earn the name "The Flying Wallenda" when I first began hunters--spent a lot of time one-legged and nearly falling off, and hailed a lot of taxis (one arm up in the air, flailing for balance).

Minipony75
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:39 AM
So glad to be back :)
I haven't ever had a funny fall--I tend to break, not bounce.

Which leads to my bad fall:

(I suppose the beginning is funny...)

My horse doesn't like cows, especially the mooing of cows. I was in a lesson, nearly 2 years ago, now, when my dear friend "Jane" began mooing like a cow, while I was jumping around. As I came up the line, by the open side of our indoor, I was laughing hysterically, and not really...well...focused. Mr. Horse and I became discombobulated and he stopped--not dirty, just "hey, lady, um..yeah, that distance you're seeing..kind of too long for a 2'9" oxer...just sayin'". I rolled off his left shoulder and in trying to avoid landing IN the jump, I curled and landed ON the ground line. All my weight, concentrated on the upper 3 inches of my left arm.

I broke the head of the humerus into pieces (at least 4), broke 3-5 ribs (that was never made clear to me) and the tip of my shoulder blade. 3 surgeries, months in rehab, injection, more rehab and nearly a year out of the saddle.

All in all, pretty sucky. But, like a true horseman, I made a sling from my belt, drove myself to the hospital and asked my surgeon how soon I'd be riding again. He shook his head, and said "you horse people, all crazy!"

Ah..Minipony! You have THE worst luck and it makes all of us at the barn laugh!:DYour story makes me glad I always put on clean "granny panties" and a nice, firm support bra before riding. It would be my luck to sport something sketchy and need those cute firemen to get me nekkid!:lol:

I did earn the name "The Flying Wallenda" when I first began hunters--spent a lot of time one-legged and nearly falling off, and hailed a lot of taxis (one arm up in the air, flailing for balance).

Brooke
Nov. 14, 2011, 04:20 AM
Not funny, but MOST embarrasing....and the only time I have ever fallen off in the ring.
At the Dublin Horse Show in Ireland, riding a horse that had a bad stopping problem. I'd done pretty well with him at smaller shows by riding him very compressed and in hand, but this was a speed class. (Which I've never been very good at anyway.) I was so intimidated - HUGE arena, big jumps, thousands of people. The third or fourth fence was away from the gate and was a triple bar oxer thingie made up of two rows of wine barrels (smaller in front, larger behind) and then poles behind that. I see it vividly still! I came roaring around the corner and he stopped as dirty as they come. I flew over his head and landed between the rows of wine barrels and the poles came down on top. Horse ran off to the gate. I had to scrabble my way out from under all of it and walk what seemed like MILES to get to the out gate as a polite ripple of applause followed me. It was HORRIBLE!

jaslyn1701
Nov. 14, 2011, 05:32 AM
Second lesson on a 17h neurotic - the kind that if you are ok, so is he, but if you tense up the slightest, he looks for monsters. why I thought this was a good idea......

So there are 4 of us in the lesson - something goes CRACK in the woods and everybody spooks. The first thing I feel is the rocket launcher hind end gather under neath and shove forward. And we are off. Brain freezes - mouth saying whoa - hands with death grip - part of brain saying let go - other party saying "are you kidding?????. We come around and have about 5 choices - 1: stop - uh no. 2: I could have turned him in a circle if my brain worked. 3: Keep running around the ring. 4: Run into the other horse and rider right in front of us. 5: Jump out of the ring.

Horse chose 5. I managed to ride the jump I(please don't let me fall on the fence), felt myself slipping - and bailed. Ground outside the ring is hard.

Only injury (luckily) is a huge bruise on the top of my left foot - must have gotten whacked by the iron on the way off.

My trainer: You landed the jump - what did you let go for????

northerhunter
Nov. 14, 2011, 08:48 AM
Funny one:
Cantered a horse up to a little 2'3 vertical, came in totally crooked. Horse stopped, and after he came to a full stop I slowly slid off the side and landed on my feet. Mr. Coach looked at me, rolled his eyes and told me to get back on.

Bad One:
Two summers ago, was riding a jerk of an appy pony, who in the previous month had already dumped me 3 times. We cantered a little warm-up jump and he knocked the rail. He then took offence to the fact taht he hit the rail and took off bucking.... HARD. I stayed on about halfway around the ring, and then finally lost it. Basically landed on the front part of my helmet so that it slammed down onto my nose. I remember the whole thing thankfully. Got back on him and finiished the lesson, then got on my coach's 3yo who had been broke for all of 1 month. Rode him around for about 30 mins before I realized I was dizzy and had a headache. Coach pulled me off the horse very quickly after that and told me to go sit down.

First fall off of same pony:
Cantered a 2'9 oxer on the diagonal, and he was super slow off the base. My coach told me to land and hit him. I did and he bucked and ducked out from under me. Landed face first in the dirt. When I looked up, my head was about 3ft away from one of the fence posts around the ring.

Donkerbruin
Nov. 14, 2011, 09:14 AM
Funny fall: It was my first time showing one of my trainer's horses. My mom was very excited so she asked the photographer to be sure and get lots of pictures. So we go into the eq class and the first jump is perfect. Rollback to the second jump, and horse puts on the brakes! I wasn't expecting it and I flew off and landed on the other side of the jump on my head. This is a funny and not tragic fall because I was wearing a good helmet. I teetered on my head for a couple of seconds before falling all the way down. The best part is that the photographer I mentioned kept taking photos while I was falling. We bought them, and now my favorite horse pictures of myself are a series of 4 -- me flying through the air, landing on my head and finally coming to rest on the ground!

Bad fall: My mom gave me a terrible leg up onto my old 17hh quarter horse. On a gravel driveway. I landed behind my saddle which freaked the horse out, so he starts bucking and running. I didn't have the reins or a good seat since I was stuck behind the dang saddle, so I bailed. Onto the gravel road. Did I mention I was wearing a tank top? I slid a few feet on my left shoulder...which looked like hamburger meat for a good while afterward!

hntrjmprpro45
Nov. 14, 2011, 09:40 AM
In September I was riding one of my six year olds and decided to school him over some new jump boxes I had built (boxes were 2'6"-2'9"). Looking back, I should have warmed him up over some of our old jumps but I didn't think it would be that big of a deal.

Well, we cantered up to the jump and he started to suck back. He slowed way down, but I put my leg and spur on. He came to a completely stop and then, listening to my leg, jumped.

When he jumped my husband said we cleared the standards. This would have been a tough ride on any horse, but this guy in particular jumped really round anyways. When we landed, I was slightly off centered and had lost my stirrups. He then did his victory bucks (he was completely impressed with himself) and I decided to hop off rather than fight to stay on.

I landed on my feet and did a tuck and roll type maneuver. Unfortunately when I landed I heard a loud pop. I had a complete tear in my ACL and a partial tear in my lateral meniscus. So I've had surgery and now I can't ride until February :(.

ponymom64
Nov. 14, 2011, 10:13 AM
My 18 year old DD was recently schooling a pony for mroades and while trotting, the pony went to scratch his nose on his leg, got all tangled up and fell down (poor thing!) dumping DD in the dirt. Fell off a trotting medium pony. A girl who 10 minutes before was jumping around some big fences on a big horse - LOL! It was pretty funny though the rider and the pony were really embarrassed

KateKat
Nov. 14, 2011, 11:46 AM
Hah. I'll play.

Funny: Probably a 2'6" vertical off a short turn. Had my horse on a nice pace, but she kind of petered out when I saw a longer spot and didn't put my leg on. Like a smart girl (who will not be suicidal when mom can't figure her eye out and sees all bad distances as long) she stopped. At that point, I of course, had already chucked the reins at her head and jumped ahead, hoping that she would take over and just leave regardless of me. Since I wasn't so lucky, I ended up on her neck. My horse slowly lowered her head to the ground, with me sliding down her neck. She gently deposited me on the ground, face first, where on the way down I somehow managed to grab her bridle and remove it from her head, all still buckled up. So I'm laying there, face on the ground, cracking up, holding her bridle while my horse takes a few minutes to realize "I'm freeeeeee!!" and starts walking away. It was pretty comical.

Bad (but still kind of funny): going through a complicated bending line. Horse stopped again at the third fence, this was a total slam on the brakes, drop inside shoulder and spin (she isn't a dirty stopper, this was when she needed her coffins done). I of course went flying off the other side and proceeded to take out the entire jump (an oxer), standards and all. Laying there in a heap on top of the poles, with standards scattered everywhere. I didn't break anything, but I'm seriously lucky I didn't. My back was bruised to high heaven from that one.

I think generally (and thankfully), my falls are more comical than serious.

jconnors
Nov. 14, 2011, 11:46 AM
I have had some pretty nasty falls over the years and were mostly on ponies. I could never seem to get my feet under me and either landed on my head or flat out on my back.

I will start with one story that was not actually me falling off but is funny.

My ancient 30 some year old arabian/tb mare who was 14.2 and became 15.3 instantly and I were warming up for a hunter show. One little boy on a rotten little welsh cross jumped a fence and fell off. Little pony scared the beezejus out of my big pony and she then took off with me. I think the largest I had jumped at the time was about 3 foot. Well she decided to take me sailing over the BRIGHT ORANGE SNOW FENCE that is like 4' foot! We stayed on somehow. Once little pony was contained we went back to warm up and didn't have any more issues:winkgrin:

Bad Fall - Showing at USPC Championships in Lexington VA about a month after Christopher Reeves fell off at the complex. I was doing showjumping on my large pony. Had 4 clean rounds and we were going for my 5th. We were headed into a triple with an 3'6" oxer for the first fence. Well the rings had the pretty much dead trees in there and it cast a shadow on the ground about a stride out before the fence. Well wonder pony thought that was the ground line and decided to take off. Boy did she love her long spots... Well the instant she took off she knew she was in trouble and tried to put her front feet down and jump again. We crashed the fence. She went left I went right. I did a full circle inside out with my body that one time all my weight was on my neck. They packaged me up and off to the hospital I went. After hours and hours of tests they wanted to medivac me to another hospital because they thought I broke my neck. Finally they came to the conclusion that my growth plates were making shadows on the x-rays. Shook the stonedust out of my hair, ears, nose, eyes and headed back to the show grounds. I am so thankful that I didn't break anything. My chiro does think that the two reverse curves in my neck are from this fall. Some 15 years later.

I have more but too long to write...:D

mustangsal85
Nov. 14, 2011, 12:54 PM
I'll play. Not a fall but funny nonetheless.

The barn I rode with during high school was directly across the street from the park that hosted the 2 events a year here in St. Louis. So we were able to go across the way and school XC basically whenever we wanted.

We were schooling the water complex and the mare I was on was a little 15.3 Connemara/TB thing who was cute as a button but not the most brave when it came to XC. Our assignment was to canter through the water, make an immediate left turn and canter about 3 strides to a small (BN) coop. Easy enough right? Well we cantered through the water happy as pigs in mud and came through the turn and mare said "absolutely not!" at the base and I said "oh heck yes we are going!" and so we basically goat/deer/frog leaped over the coop. Well I got left in the backseat a little (ok a lot) and kind of flopped back onto her neck on the landing side, hard enough to hit my throat on her neck. I turned my head to yell out "sorry!!" to my trainer but nothing would come out. I cleared my throat as it felt like something was stuck there and tried again to no avail. I tried for the rest of the session and the rest of the day to talk but nothing happened! I went to the doctor and he said my vocal cords had more or less been knocked and bruised from my rough landing, leaving my speechless for over a week after!

oharabear
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:09 PM
The Funniest Fall Ever Award goes to my friend, not to me, but I was there to witness it and almost wet myself from laughing so hard.

She was riding my 13.2h pony. I had wandered off to do something (so she thought I wasn't watching) and when I came back to the arena, I watched her pull the pony up to the (narrow) mounting block, lean over and try to dismount onto the mounthing block.

But she missed.

She ended up belly-flopping onto the dirt NEXT to the mounting block.

My sweet pony turned and looked at her like, "WTF was that?" and then took a GIANT step sideways away from my friend, like she didn't want to be associated with that fall in any way, shape, or form.

I nearly died laughing and my friend laid in the dirt giggling, and when we could finally talk the conversation went like this:

Me: "What the heck happened?"
Friend: "I was trying to dismount onto the mounting block."
Me: "She's 13.2 hands. The ground isn't that far away."
Friend: "Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time."
Me: "You know, falling off of a pony at the halt really takes talent!"

Then I got arena footing thrown at me. :lol:

Desert Topaz
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:21 PM
My pony and I had just jumped her first little oxer. The second time we were going over it she tried to run out, I said no, and got her over the fence, but the swerve was enough that my left leg slipped over her back and I went over the fence on her right side (right foot was still in the stirrup.) She landed and I basically stepped off onto the ground. I was so shocked I threw my arms up in the air in a gymnastic like salute. And I was still holding the reins. :D It was my only fall in the last fifteen years that I didn't break or hurt myself.

shoponee70
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:27 PM
- Funny - to me anyway .. lol.

i was at a local venue with m y 4yo home bred raised and super sensible tb gelding we been here dozens of times both ridden and just to hang out for mileage.. We'd schooled the big scary ring with the flags, they wanted to drag and water so we decided to walk over to the junior ring to play around.

we were walking from one ring to another to school- rings were still being set. I stopped to chat with a friend - on the buckle, horse standing at ease probably starting to doze off wishing id shut up. when all of the sudden
he spots a member of the jump crew about 3/10 ( like, id have to scream for him to have heard me say something) of a mile away turn a plastic bag full of flowers for the flower box upside down and shake the crap out of it to get the flowers out of it. ( like dumping a bag of grain)

Oliver goes into full blown alien attack mode, bolts out from under me, realizes there is no alien in the bag and screeches to a stop( He'd probably moved 5 feet from where we were standing quietly.

I at this point am hanging off of his right shoulder with nothing holding me on by my left roller ball spur, digging into his hip and my left rein craned over his neck. Poor guy cranes his neck around to see WTH i am doing and is like hey.. how did you get down there? - with his elmer fudd face.. then i can see in his eye hes like ow.. ow. oww.. your spur owww. oww.. i cant move, i'll step on her.. please please please dislogde your spur. i am absolutely certain despite our most recent conversations that you DO NOT want me to move AWAY from your leg at this very instant.

- My head is dangling at his right knee, i still have my reins my friend grabs his head and i pull my toe up and take my roller ball spur out of his hip and slide off the right side and lightly fall to the ground laughing my butt off thanking God I wore for my fat puffy down vest that day to cushion my landing. and giggling away at the fact that the 4 year old who acts like hes 40 finaly found a moment to act his age.

I was laughing so hard i was crying -- this horse NEVER EVER spooks-- EVER not at jumps, loud noises - giant tree limbs falling in the trees adjacent to my ring on windy days. hes just stoic.. for him to see something that far away and go into 'Alien attack' mode was just hilarious to me. He felt so bad he was trying to nuzzle my laughing self on the ground to make sure i was okay. The medic thought I was crying, jumps the arena fence running over to check my vitals and sees im laughing hysterically. and is like WTF..
Idk.. doesnt seem as hysterical now, but at the time it was funny. He's just got such a huge heart and always takes such good care of my creaky self even when i dont give the most direct instructions. He's was on teh '8 year plan' but between that moment, and his great attitude I think he might be one of those ' horse of a lifetime's' for me :)

eclipse
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:40 PM
oh my....there are so many!! :lol:

But my funniest fall happened on a trail ride!

We took some of the horses out to the mountains and Ellie was being, well, stupid about everything! We had to cross a tiny, really narrow, culvert and as her hoof "felt it" she leaped up and unseated me. So, in my infinate wisdom, while hanging off my mares side, I looked over and spied one of our trainers on a pony. "hmmmmm" I thought "if I reach over I can 'push' myself back into position by pushing on Po's side". Nope, it didn't end well for either of us! :lol: :lol::no:

My worst: again Ellie. I was just bringing her back after hock surgery, and she was all exited. When she bucked while being led, my brain should of told me right then, not to get on! I got on, was walking around and suddenly she started to buck like a rodeo horse.......I ended up with a crushed radial head and hardware of a plate and 6 screws in my elbow to show off my stupidity!!! :sadsmile:

cottonXCblondie
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:54 PM
another funny: it was my 10th birthday and i was on an evil pony for a horse trials clinic. he dumped me 3 times that day. the 2nd time, we were all going through a ditch of water. he decided to stop and throw his face around in it and ignored all of my kicking and layed down and rolled in the 2.5ft deep water. my birthday is in february. it was freeeeezing!

TheOneandOnly
Nov. 14, 2011, 02:01 PM
I dont really have anything funny or bad, just interesting. I almost always land on my head.. :eek:

one of my first falls as a kid the pony ran out on a fence and I flew like a torpedo head first into the standard, BREAKING one of the posts in half...

later as a junior in a flat class my large horse caught the back of his front shoe with a hind foot and went to his knees at the canter. I hit head first straight down and rolled my neck, just barely crawling out of the way as the horse was rolling towards me..

in college riding trainers green bean that was a mere 18 hands, I had ridden out a few of his deer hops over a teeny tiny vertical, but one more and he got me off balance and put his head between his knees and dumped me, AGAIN falling straight down, head first..

jumping at an IHSA show I ate dirt, but only after my head took the majority of the force and I scraped my face up. I hit so hard that I was stunned and couldnt move. The emts had to come poke and prod at me before I realized I could feel my toes. they decided I didnt have a concussion because my vision wasnt blurred and I wasnt disoriented but boy did I have a headache.

hmm, Im sure theres more. Ive fallen on my back a few times but Ive never been seriously injured, Ive only broken some fingers. But I cant help but wonder if all the falls on my head have caused my constant neck problems :no::no:

and many helmets later, here I am:lol:

JinxyPoo
Nov. 14, 2011, 02:39 PM
I fell off warming up for a jump off at Devon, it was hilarious. Horse jumped me clear off his back and I just kind of tumbled off afterwards. I couldn't stop laughing!!! I guess it was good luck because I got back on and ended up winning :)

pryme_thyme
Nov. 14, 2011, 04:22 PM
Oh I want to play too!
I love this game.

The fall I most remember and run over in my head over and over, wondering how the heck did I manage that one....

I was schooling my appendix mare who loves to GAZELLE! over jumps. My coach and I were attempting to slow her down by using smaller distances and a bit of width to insist she stretch her body and be smoother o/f's. (Height was small, maybe 2.9-3.3')

So we completed the firs outside line which was 2 strides and a 1, cantered sanely through our corner prepping for the diagonal line, first was a verticle which went nicely, second was 4 strides and a 'staircase' type as we call it here, mare decides to have a graceful moment, steps on her own hoof, gets angry while I am half halting to get her back up but I couldnt do much in that timeframe, so I let her go, we sucessfully *I think* BOTH left the ground though she continued over the jump, did a nice flying change and proceded to realize something was just not right, stopped, turned around and then it hits me.... I am not starring at my horses ears anymore, I see my WHOLE horse!
Much to my amazement I am standing in the middle of the first and second pole wondering WT* just happened.

My coach and sister meanwhile were crying laughing.... I still to this day have No idea how it happened.

RyuEquestrian
Nov. 14, 2011, 04:43 PM
I simple got jumped out of the tack by my 5 year old mare.

Enjoy at my expense (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylpC9_8gIyA)

HPFarmette
Nov. 14, 2011, 04:48 PM
I simple got jumped out of the tack by my 5 year old mare.

Enjoy at my expense (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylpC9_8gIyA)

Gawd what a gorgeous mare.

Hunter Mom
Nov. 14, 2011, 05:15 PM
I've had two funny ones.

First at a local circuit show in our medal qualifying class. Had been pouring rain and the arena was pretty soupy. Mare HATES mud. I learned that this day. Part of the course involved caveletti on a curve. Mare also has a very short stride, which didn't always work out well. She crow-hopped the last one and ducked left. I went right. I had to walk the walk-of-shame in ankle deep mud, covered from head to toe. Went to the wash rack and hosed myself off. Thankfully, I had dry clothes for the rest of the day.

Second was at a rated show. We were in limits and had a stellar round. Like good ribbon out of 40+ horses round. Fences 1-8 were perfect. Clean lead changes, you name it. Coming down the line from 8 to 9, I felt her lengthening, and asked her to come back. I didn't feel like she did and prepped for the long spot, to which she responded by patting the ground in front and slamming on the breaks. I went ahead and took the fence - clearing the back rain - and stood up to her looking at me with a really puzzled look since I was holding her whole bridle in my hand. I really think she checked her union card and realized she was only required to do 8 fences on a hunter course.

charismaryllis
Nov. 14, 2011, 05:31 PM
many yrs ago, big tall horse, good jumper, going over a line of low bounces; there was a three legged bar stool off to one side at the end, where the instructor would sometimes sit. horse had bounced thru this a few times just fine, but the last time--well, forefeet hit the ground, and hindfeet said "ohmygodit'sabarstoolit'sgonnaeatme--!" and -zwip!- sideways teleportation. i'm left hanging mid-air a la wyle e. coyote, saying "damn, where's the horse?!" and -thud-

then the instructor made us do it again. :mad:

:winkgrin:

FourFaults
Nov. 14, 2011, 05:52 PM
I'm usually a lurker on this forum, but this topic just pulled me in and I have to reply lol!

My fall happened last year after 2 months with my new coach (my previous barn wasn't teaching me anything so I moved and found a private coach) so I'd only been riding 'for real' for that 2 months - late starter to the sport. I picked up a trot and had to do a circle at the end of the arena. There was a jump standard in my path and I decided, too late, to make my circle go on the inside. So, I really pretty much went through it, horse adjusted her stride, I lost my balance, fought falling too long so by the time I finally did I sort of stepped off her left side....right onto the plywood boards that go along the inside of the arena.

I blacked out, and when I came to I remember thinking "Oh, c'mon!! I didn't stay on?? You've got to be kidding me!!" Long story short, 911 was called, lots of EMT's came, I cracked them all up (apparently I'm a hoot when I'm hurt!), and I spent a week in the hospital.

List of injuries: 7 broken ribs on the left side, broken bone in my hand, sprained ankle, collapsed lung, and possible concussion. My ears still ring to this day so very likely.

I was off work for 4 months and off my horse for 9. It's been a VERY long road back mainly fighting internal demons and all, but the past 2 lessons I feel like maybe it's all behind me. One of them even included a fall! I hit the ground (this time she tripped and my hands were too low to save either of us), got my breath back and started to laugh. "I'm NOT hurt!!!"

So there...funny one and bad one...and all within a year of riding lol! :)

I can't believe how crazy us horse people are, eh? We fall, some of us get really, really hurt and all we can think about is when we can get back on! Troopers!

FF

Softskills
Nov. 15, 2011, 12:05 AM
It's the first time I let new boyfriend meet my "kids". I let him play around on my old guy while I school my other horse. The last thing I remember think was, "he feels so light today!"..,

I don't remember the first 30 mins after I woke up. But here we have the non-horsey boyfriend with two tacked up horses and his unconscious gf who has just bitten off her lower lip! ( my trainers always warned me that would happen if I kept chewing my lip when I rode)

Apparently I tried to "help" him put the horses up but I wasn't making much sense. And luckily I had worn a sports bra because he used my shirt to stop the bleeding! We roll into the er ( I still had my lip partly attached. Whew) and what a picture I must have looked like!

Bf ( now hubby) still likes to show people the pics of me while the doc was sewing my lip back on. Awful! Lol

sansibar
Nov. 15, 2011, 12:29 AM
Don't take your leg off going into a triple:
Life flashing before my eyes
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/39483_10150241490945314_500990313_13919114_6417315 _n.jpg)
Biting the dust.....
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/38662_10150241491145314_500990313_13919123_6604419 _n.jpg)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrRs4jvUdbI
And yes of course we were going clean up till this point to add insult to injury......

Simbalism
Nov. 15, 2011, 12:37 AM
Funny fall... When I was a kid(13ish) I worked for a riding stable that did trail rides. They had bought a donkey and were going to use it for lead line rides for kids. Of course the donkey was really not broke to ride. I got on bareback and got the donkey going and he trotted down a little hill and immediately stuck his head down to graze. I flew foward and landed in a heap by his head.

Most scary fall... I was riding my TB gelding in the ring. One of the kids was riding her pony and she was having a problem. I was cantering and made a helpful comment to her like sit up or something. When I did this I apparently turned enough that it cued my horse to move over towards the fence. My toe caught on the fence board at the fence post and it popped the board off(think forward motion plus force of leg pushed against fence). The board popped my horse in the side and he shied sideways. I stayed on for that, but my spur gooched him in the side and he bucked. I hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. I sat up and noticed a softball size spot of blood on the ground. I was taking assessment of body parts and realized my right elbow shirt sleeve was ripped. I got up, caught my horse, and walked up to the barn and started to untack my horse. I got kind of faint feeling and asked one of the kids to finnish untacking for me. One of the parents came up and asked me if I wanted them to take me to the ER. I said yes that would probably be a good idea. I sat down and imagine my surprise when they started screaming, don't move, quit bending your arm!!! The next thing I knew, they had called the ambulance and I was being neck collared and strapped to a back board. Off to the ER I went. I had blown out the back of my elbow(soft tissue and it had detached the skin halfway down my arm -think large pouch). They cleaned that out as best they could in the ER, but decided I needed to go to the OR for further cleaning. As they were examing me, they noticed a large bruise on my right hip. They asked if my hip hurt, "no only when you push on it". They did an xray and of course broken hip. So I went to the OR for washout of arm and 3 screws to my hip. I had to have a 2nd surgery to reclean my arm and then close. That was about 15 years ago, but I still can't bring myself to "stay on the rail" hehe.

My most recent scary fall was this summer. I was riding my horse around the farm with another boarder. I started across a wooden bridge crossing a ravine-maybe ten feet across and about 5 feet deep. The bridge didn't look wet or anything. As soon as my mare got all 4 feet on the bridge, she started scrambling. She made it across to the far edge of the bridge(I was sure we were going thru the railing into the ravine), and fell to her knees. I flew off and landed on my shoulder/ chest. She got up and went a few steps and stopped. Took me a minute to catch my breath and get up. When I caught her and went back across the bridge(the other rider was freaking as she is not a trail rider type), I notice a hole in the bridge. It dawned on me that the reason my horse had scrambled was due to the fact the board broke and her leg went thru. Luckily neither of us was injured other than a few bruises(me) and a few scrapes(her).

abv1269
Nov. 15, 2011, 08:43 AM
This one (could have been catastrophic, thanfully wasn't, funny video:
http://galsandhorses.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-which-i-attempt-to-impersonate-lawn.html

This one (funny):
http://galsandhorses.blogspot.com/2010/06/hedgerow-of-death.html

And you'd think that since I'm still dealing with the physical fallout of the first fall I mentioned that I'd be taking care of myself and not doing anything stupid. Nope. Still dumb as a box of rocks.

The other day I decided we needed an easy day and a wander through the fields adjacent to the barn. It's hunting season, but these fields are off limits so I tought I'd be fine. WRONG. Forgot that all the wee forest creatures are on high alert during hunting season. Was walking along a hedgerow when the perfect sh$!storm of events occurred: Loud squawking and flapping sounds as a terrified pheasant took wing, and a bugle and crashing of fall flora as a large buck left his hidey hole and took off across the field. The sainted mare just about crapped herself, took a good look at the buck and said,"That bas@#rd's got horns, WE ARE OUTTA HERE!" and spun around and exited stage right. Sadly, I exited stage left, dangled from her neck for a nanosecond, and then somehow managed to bellyflop to earth.

The sainted mare was backpedaling as if her life depended on it, and I was stupidly hanging onto the reins and letting myself be dragged across the field like a waterskier who had fallen and forgot to let go of the tow rope. In between mouthfuls of dirt and roughage, I was vehemently threatening greater peril to the sainted one's existence if she did not stop herself "this instant!"

The mare quickly calculated the risks posed by the woodland creatures (now long gone) and her very irate Mom (still dangling on the end of her reins) and decided a swift halt and apology was the safest course of action. She stood still and and licked me while I tried to reassemble myself, and continued to stand like a stone while I hauled my bruised tuckus back into the saddle (amidst much groaning and creative vocabulary.) Off we went back to the barn as if nothing untoward had occured. We got back uneventfully, I untacked her and immediately tossed back some NSAIDs I keep at the barn for just such an occassion.

Am still mainlining the NSAIDs, as at my age body parts continue to complain long after the offending incident.:winkgrin:

skittlespony
Nov. 15, 2011, 10:06 AM
I was about 10 Years old and I had only been riding for a little less than a year. I was put on this big 17.2 hand horse. He was really a gentle giant and he was trusted by everybody. I was getting ready to ask him to canter and I guess I gave him too much leg and he took off at a pretty fast gallop. He was a pretty heavy headed fellow and was on the forehand alot so he pulled me all the way down. At the Gallop I rolled off his neck and thumped on the ground straight on my back. Poor guy stopped dead in his tracks and stood there with me till someone helped me up.

Than there was another time, when I was a few years older. I was riding a horse about 17 hands. He was a little fresh but he was pretty good for the trot work. Than another horse in the arena started jumping and he got eally exited. After the other horse landed one of the fences he jumped up and sppoked a little, I thought nothing of it really and just kept him going, the otherhorse kept jumping around too. After a couple more jumps the other horse jumped and oxer and the horse I was riding got really exited at this. He jumped sideways all of the sudden about 4 feet and I fell off once again stright on my back. I couldn't run for about 2 weeks because it felt like someone was shoving knifes into my spinal cord. Sometimes my back still hurts and gets stiff because of this too.

Fun Size
Nov. 15, 2011, 06:11 PM
These are great!

My first fall of of Max was hilarious. When I bought him, he had just come off of a several month layup and needed to come back slow, which was fine with me because it was my first time working with a real trainer on a real schedule, so I was relegated to flatting and lunge line for the first year anyway. He is an older guy, but the more nervous you get, the more he thinks there are monsters in the bushes. His spook is a tail on fire "run away, run away!" so it isn't that bad. One early morning, we were working on serpentines in the arena. Clearly I was already tense, and when he slightly offered to spook I freaked out and made him actually scared! So he takes off...right over a jump that was set at around 2'9" or maybe 3'. He goes right over it (perfect distance, of course!) and I made it over but landed in a pile and slid off his shoulder. I just sat in the dirt laughing while Max stopped and came back over to see what my problem was.

The next day, there was a wood cross in the arena where my butt print was with my name on it :)

I tend to hit the ground ok, so pretty much all of my falls are funny. 90% of them are me jumping ahead a chipping myself off. Haven't done that since about March, so that is an improvement!