PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want an enormous handsome TB baby?

enjoytheride
Nov. 13, 2011, 06:22 PM
http://www.horseadoption.com/bb/

Tha Ridge
Nov. 13, 2011, 06:28 PM
WOW! :eek:

To the MAX
Nov. 13, 2011, 06:30 PM
I'm in love.

Laurierace
Nov. 13, 2011, 06:34 PM
Poor guy's pasterns need their own zip code.

hequestrian
Nov. 13, 2011, 06:34 PM
Wow! He is a big guy! So handsome!

MHM
Nov. 13, 2011, 06:49 PM
His movement is very balanced for such a big youngster.

Thank goodness he's too far away for me to be tempted! :lol:

Beethoven
Nov. 13, 2011, 06:51 PM
Striking till you look at him in detail. Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole, personally.

SoCalGal
Nov. 13, 2011, 07:00 PM
Striking till you look at him in detail. Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole, personally.

Wow, that was my exact reaction too! First thought: STUNNING.

Then I looked at the legs...back at the knee...coon footed...swelling on front left knee, lump on right rear fetlock in front...and that's just what I can SEE.

Poor baby he is very pretty but what the heck???

MySuperExAlter
Nov. 13, 2011, 07:03 PM

That's what I was thinking.. his pasterns frighten me.. Pretty at first glance though

Smiles
Nov. 13, 2011, 07:07 PM
His knees are what is bothering me. Hope he finds a good home but I don't think this one should have a sport horse career only a pleasure career.

Cindyg
Nov. 13, 2011, 07:31 PM
I'm not a thoroughbred person, I don't like/need a big horse, and I can't manage a 2-year old ex-stallion. Nor do I stall, blanket, or shoe (as the ad specified). And I'm half a country away. So this horse is a terrible match for me.

Nonetheless, I'm having to restrain myself from hitching up the trailer and heading to Lexington! I think he looks dreamy!! :yes:

ohrebecca
Nov. 13, 2011, 07:39 PM
That is one. big. dude.

Really liked him from the thumbnails - what's not to like about a nice big shiny bay with a nice shoulder and a gorgeous face? Uhm, well, the lower half of his body, that I noticed when I enlarged the pics.

Plumcreek
Nov. 13, 2011, 08:44 PM
His knees are what is bothering me. Hope he finds a good home but I don't think this one should have a sport horse career only a pleasure career.

His face swirl placement says 'go' not pleasure.

Isabeau Z Solace
Nov. 13, 2011, 09:24 PM
I sent them an email. I have a friend in KY, is a vet tech. Would love for her to go look at horse for me.

crosscreeksh
Nov. 13, 2011, 09:41 PM
Some serious conformation defects!!!...but very attractive!! I read part of their adoption application!!! WOW!! Guess they don't get many "approved" adopters!!

MHM
Nov. 13, 2011, 09:49 PM
His face swirl placement

His what?

jrzeqrider
Nov. 13, 2011, 09:50 PM
adorable! love his sweet face :)

Justa Bob
Nov. 13, 2011, 10:01 PM
The ad clearly states his limitations and special requirements given his size and age. Xrays of knees are available. I love New Vocations photos -- a really nice presentation to help find the right homes for the horses available. Best wishes this guy gets a good match.

Kwill
Nov. 13, 2011, 10:07 PM
I can't believe his knees are ok -- is that just from a growth spurt? His front end is just scary. He looked off on the right.

I hope he goes to a pleasure home. The lower level hunters might suit him, also. Maybe if he was given just pasture turn out for the next two years...

I didn't see anything unusual about his swirl, looked high -- that usually is intelligence. Maybe that would be "go," I dunno.

He's a pretty horse, but I am not sure what he can end up doing. Most people don't want an 18hh horse. I too hope he finds that lifetime person.

tradewind
Nov. 13, 2011, 10:14 PM
New Vocations does a great job with placing their horses in appropriate homes..Some horses that grow at that rate have some temporary joint blemishes, which is why I am sure that they have consulted an orthopedist..It quite clearly states low level juming, etc..They are not trying to place him in a high impact career...Assuming that the person who gets him is looking more towards the pleasure route his conformational defects will probably not be an issue assuming those knee xrays do not reveal something really awful...

vxf111
Nov. 13, 2011, 10:37 PM

He is cute as a button and I hope he finds a super home, but they also jumped out at me immediately.

Star's Ascent
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:06 PM
I love his coloring and markings but agree that from first glance I like him but when I started looking closer did not like his legs. I would be afraid to have a baby that big already! One of the upper level barns at a barn I used to be at is pretty proud apparently of their 18+ hand horses that they also through small children on.

LittleGray
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:54 PM
I would rather have this guy http://www.horseadoption.com/favorite-valay/. Such a sweet face!

Flypony
Nov. 14, 2011, 12:03 AM
I would rather have this guy http://www.horseadoption.com/favorite-valay/. Such a sweet face!
Yes some one go get him! He's got so much back class, he will not let you down. He deserves someone to give him a new easier job. He will make some one proud!

LittleGray
Nov. 14, 2011, 12:17 AM
Or this guy http://www.horseadoption.com/ludmig/

MySuperExAlter
Nov. 14, 2011, 12:19 AM

yeah but did you see his left front.. looks wonky to me.... :eek:

AliCat
Nov. 14, 2011, 12:45 AM
I think he is cute, and I hope he find a nice, appropriate home.

As far as his conformation.... It leaves a bit to be desired, but one thing I have noticed is that perfect confirmation does not always mean soundness.

I ride at a large lesson barn (they have close to 40 schoolies). Some of the horses that rarely take a bad step are the older OTTB that look like they were assembled out of the spare parts bin, and picked up some ugly scars along the way.

The "pretty" ones seem to be the ones that have the most issues (granted, they are in a lesson string for a reason).

Lazy-Pony
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:32 AM
I think this sweet boy just needs some time to grow into his body! :)

Dazednconfused
Nov. 14, 2011, 02:08 AM
Stunning horse, for sure. Most of his conformational defects are actually not that bad for the most part (for example being over at the knee). But he's not a good mover at all, and took a few steps that don't look very sound to me. I'd be curious to see him loose instead.

Also, so nice to see such great, complete sets of photos (not to mention general information and videos) on New Vocations. Really lovely to look at and it really helps you assess what conformational issues the horses have and what you can live with. Good on them - looks really professional and like a great place to get a horse from. :)

newenglandnative
Nov. 14, 2011, 03:32 AM

I think this guy is wicked cute too, its too bad he can't jump but I bet he will make someone very happy.

ohrebecca
Nov. 14, 2011, 09:01 AM

He's got such a pony face! So cute!

M. O'Connor
Nov. 14, 2011, 09:31 AM
It's way too soon to tell, and why youngsters in this age bracket are a very hard sell even when they have been bred for the job and have a good pedigree.

Such a big boy clearly needs more time to grow before anyone could rationally make a call as to whether he'll finish in good enough shape to embark on a performance career. In the meantime, his bones are obviously still dynamic; he will require very correct nutrition, the right amount of turnout, attention from a good farrier.

He is likely to be an ok risk for someone with the right circumstances and support team to take a chance on; the $500 adoption fee is obviously not the bargain it would be if he was of working age and sound and ready to go--it will cost much more to wait and finish him correctly. He's a 5-year project, for sure, and may turn out nicely, or may not.

2bayboys
Nov. 14, 2011, 10:04 AM
And I very much want Santa to bring me this one http://www.horseadoption.com/my-scandalous-girl/

I adore bay mares AND I'm dying to have something to show at the Thoroughbred Celebration shows :D

moonriverfarm
Nov. 14, 2011, 10:22 AM
I want to know more about whorl placement! Please explain!!!

LoveJubal
Nov. 14, 2011, 11:58 AM
Maybe he'll grow into that big body he's got...

If it wasn't like a 10-hour drive, I would definitely take a look... I love the Big Boys :yes: If he's got a good personality, which it appears that he does, I would probably scoop him up and take him home.

I agree that he is not the greatest mover, but he could get better with age. I don't think that short lunge line really did him any justice. I would like to see him loose as well.

AliCat518
Nov. 14, 2011, 12:25 PM
Am I the only one who thought he looked a little wonky behind?! Could have just been awkwardness, I guess...but it just didnt look right...

DLee
Nov. 14, 2011, 12:46 PM
I can't help it, I could look at him every day. :yes: Love his curly tipped ears!

sisu27
Nov. 14, 2011, 12:49 PM
Some serious conformation defects!!!...but very attractive!! I read part of their adoption application!!! WOW!! Guess they don't get many "approved" adopters!!

I am happy to see the application is as thorough as it is....that's a good thing! Given the turnover they do not seem to have a problem finding good homes for a lot of horses!

This was the only part I found odd: "Are you or the boarding facility, willing to feed the 8-12 lbs of grain and 1/4- 1/2 bale daily of quality hay necessary to maintain a Thoroughbred?"

1/4-1/2 a bale?!?!? Given the intent of this portion I found that a bit light....my current ottb eats a bale a day...easily! If I could re-write that I would lessen the concentrates and up the hay! But I won't nit-pick....they do a great job and their listings are among the very best.

Isabeau Z Solace
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:04 PM
Oh well, they emailed me back he was taken. :( Somebody's got a handsome hunk of horsey flesh:D

Ibex
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:04 PM
Could be the size of the bales they're using for reference! ie the ones on the west coast can be easily 90-100lb. I know NV is an eastern organization, but maybe their hay guy bales them big??

Noms
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:06 PM
Am I the only one who thought he looked a little wonky behind?! Could have just been awkwardness, I guess...but it just didnt look right...

No you are not. I actually think the hind end is worse than the front. He is very sickle hocked, he's very week behind.

MHM
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:16 PM
I'm glad to know somebody grabbed him.

I agree that the listings from that organization are excellent- plenty of good clear pictures, video clips, lots of information about the horses. Well done! :yes:

Kenike
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:20 PM
His movement at this age actually doesn't bother me. He looked wonky, but he's of the age that he'll be a little wonky. He's still growing and has a lot to work with. Reminds me of my son on the ice sometimes, actually. :lol: Definitely NOT hunter movement, though. Not even close.

But I really didn't like his legs. I can look past being over at the knee more than I can those pasterns. They're SO long! He may stay sound, or he may have some huge issues. It would be interesting to see how things come together as he finishes growing.

I hope whomever snatched him up doesn't rush him (Personally, I don't think I'd even have started him lunging, yet...but I also know we all do things differently). He's big, but he's very clearly a baby.

vineyridge
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:25 PM
From what I've read, a normal horse can survive quite nicely on 20 lbs of good hay per day. Depending on the weight of a small square bale, that can easily be from 1/3 to 1/2 bale per day. That's maintenance only, with added calories coming from grain.

chawley
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:42 PM
My sister sent me the link to him last week. He's just stunning! So wish I could take him.

sisu27
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:48 PM
Could be the size of the bales they're using for reference! ie the ones on the west coast can be easily 90-100lb. I know NV is an eastern organization, but maybe their hay guy bales them big??

Good point...I automatically thought 2 string (which is most common where I am). Either way...I would hope that application would eliminate anyone who would not be sure how much hay to feed. For the sake of the application perhaps % of body weight might be better.

ETA....I am sure they can survive Viney but imo thbds usually do better with less grain and free choice, quality hay. That's all I'm saying.

Glad to hear he found a home!!

cottonXCblondie
Nov. 14, 2011, 02:01 PM
And I very much want Santa to bring me this one http://www.horseadoption.com/my-scandalous-girl/

I adore bay mares AND I'm dying to have something to show at the Thoroughbred Celebration shows :D

i've been loving her too! Perfect Game on there is related to my mare and they have the same head and he moves similarly. i so wish i had someplace to put him.

Alibhai's Alibar
Nov. 14, 2011, 02:07 PM
I agree that the listings from that organization are excellent- plenty of good clear pictures, video clips, lots of information about the horses. Well done! :yes:

I agree. Their listings are consistently fantastic, and should be used as a model by equine rescues, as well as people who are selling privately-owned horses. The photography is excellent- ACC does a great job.

Rel6
Nov. 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
I want to know more about whorl placement! Please explain!!!

I believe the idea is that the higher the whorl is, the hotter the horse. Below their eyes means a calmer horse, where as the big guys whorl was high and above his eyes saying hes a hot ride, not an easy going pleasure mount.

I'm not a believer, but there are people who swear its true.

vxf111
Nov. 14, 2011, 02:23 PM
I echo those who say the listing has great photos and detail. Kudos!

moonriverfarm
Nov. 14, 2011, 02:25 PM
Well, I can't wait to go check my dead-quiet TBs whorls, and my barn friend's hottie TB's face too.

Jumpthemoon16
Nov. 14, 2011, 02:54 PM

LOVE her! I wish she was on my coast!!

hunterjumper06
Nov. 14, 2011, 03:10 PM
*drools*

I love myself a big horse. If I had the time and money, he'd be mine. Ugh, I don't care if he has bad legs, I'd just want him to be a pleasure horse!

chemteach
Nov. 14, 2011, 03:13 PM

Ditto, can't get past the knees.

MHM
Nov. 14, 2011, 03:41 PM
I believe the idea is that the higher the whorl is, the hotter the horse. Below their eyes means a calmer horse, where as the big guys whorl was high and above his eyes saying hes a hot ride, not an easy going pleasure mount.

I'm not a believer, but there are people who swear its true.

Well, I can't wait to go check my dead-quiet TBs whorls, and my barn friend's hottie TB's face too.

I don't need to check. I know my TB has three whorls on his forehead above eye level. And he is not at all what I would call hot.

I'd love to see the scientific documentation to back up this theory, but I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long time for that. :lol:

MintHillFarm
Nov. 14, 2011, 07:58 PM

I agree...At the walk he really twisted both back legs when he placed the foot down. I had one that did same motion behind as well and he came to me with curbs. Also a huge OTTB, 17.3 when I got him at 5...and a ton of bone. They raced my guy at 2.

This one's joints all looked big to me, but then again he grew up so quickly.

He certainly seemed like he has nice attitude and with a couple years to mature, I think would make a very nice pleasure horse. Hope he gets a great home. The New Vocations people do a really nice job.

Brooke
Nov. 14, 2011, 09:08 PM
I agree that their site is terrific. Nice pictures and videos, and nice horses well presented and described. Regarding the amount of hay to be fed; I think they should use pounds instead of calling it a half a bale. Out here that would be about 65 pounds of hay per day. :)

summerhorse
Nov. 14, 2011, 10:29 PM
I love him but he does have some issues. BUT for somebody who isn't looking for an "A" show horse or GP jumper or event horse he'd probably hold up fine. Thank goodness I can't afford another horse. I considered a horse from there once and did not find the adoption requirements unreasonable.

summerhorse
Nov. 14, 2011, 11:08 PM
I am happy to see the application is as thorough as it is....that's a good thing! Given the turnover they do not seem to have a problem finding good homes for a lot of horses!

This was the only part I found odd: "Are you or the boarding facility, willing to feed the 8-12 lbs of grain and 1/4- 1/2 bale daily of quality hay necessary to maintain a Thoroughbred?"

1/4-1/2 a bale?!?!? Given the intent of this portion I found that a bit light....my current ottb eats a bale a day...easily! If I could re-write that I would lessen the concentrates and up the hay! But I won't nit-pick....they do a great job and their listings are among the very best.

Yes some bales are 50lbs and some are up to a 100. I think they just are getting across that some of these horses will eat a LOT. My old mare gets fat on air, the young one will eat me out of house and home (soon) but she does not like hay that much so she also gets a complete feed. And a LOT of that too. Bottomless pit.

Kryswyn
Nov. 14, 2011, 11:30 PM
I worked around a youngster that size years ago. He was SO BIG and correspondingly clumsey that he didn't come out of his stall to work without bell boot front & hind, front tendon boots, ankle boots, and after he fell a couple times, KNEE boots. When undersaddle he had to wear side reins to keep his front end connected to his back end. Even with all that I feel his early repetitive start was his doom he was a cripple by 5 and pts before he was 6 because of a chronic back problem prevented anyone riding him.

Had I gotten BB, despite NV's guidelines, I'd've turned him out in a rolling pasture 24/7 for at least two years before doing anything with him. Yes, of course I'd keep him on grain, but may be not as much as they indicate depending on the protein levels.

Now if someone would please buy me Ludmig, I'd be really happy. :) :)