PDA

View Full Version : import from canada costs?

ammy-ville
Nov. 13, 2011, 03:59 PM
I know if I continued to search the archives I'd fine the perfect thread but...

Just curious on cost to import a horse from Manitoba, Canada to Northern California. Is it just trailering and vet certificate, or is there a quarentine requirement like from Euroupe? I think about 4 years ago I paid $700 to ship from the boonies of Montana to NorCal, is shipping arcross the border that much more expensive?

klmck63
Nov. 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
I know for sure that there is no quarantine requirement from USA to Canada and I am pretty sure it is the same going from Canada to the USA. I also believe there are some tax/"duty" requirements but I have no idea on the details.

Out of curiosity, where are you looking in Manitoba? My horse is from there :)

Credosporthorses
Nov. 13, 2011, 04:05 PM
I hauled the horse I purchased in Canada home personally so I cant be any help with the shipping costs. At the border I had to pay a $100 importation fee.

indygirl2560
Nov. 13, 2011, 06:40 PM
My friend paid about $2k to have her horse imported, (Canada to norcal). I'm assuming that a majority of that was hauling...

Wholehearted
Nov. 13, 2011, 09:41 PM
I brought my horse over from Canada and all I paid was $42 at the border for the crossing fee or whatever they called it. My trainer was so excited it was my first horse that she hauled him for free, but we're very close to the border (4ish hours away). I'm guessing the other costs previously mentioned are all hauling costs.

tamarak_equestrian
Nov. 16, 2011, 02:27 PM
When I bring horses up from the US I have to pay tax on whatever I paid for the horse, but other than shipping and getting the papers done, that was it. I would guess it's probably similar going the other way. Definitely no quarantine.

IBCuttin
Nov. 16, 2011, 06:41 PM
I've never had horses hauled from Manitoba to the US, but I did get two horses from Wisconsin almost 2 years ago. The only paperwork they needed a current coggins and vet inspection, a signed bill of sale, their papers and a signed transfer papers.
Are you plainning on hauling them yourself or hiring a hauler? A professional hauler can give you a breakdown on what will be needed and what to expect for border fees.

Hauwse
Nov. 16, 2011, 08:11 PM
Canada to the USA is nothing more than Coggins/Health Certificate.

The other way requires that you pay provincial sales tax.

TSWJB
Nov. 17, 2011, 12:08 PM
I hauled my horse from Ontario to NJ. You had to have a border crossing certificate of health from the vet and you had to show proof of VAT paid for the sale. If someone else hauls your horse for you like a commercial shipper I think the border crossing fee was somewhere around 100 bucks. I know it was a lot cheaper if the owner was crossing the border. I think I paid like 25 dollars. There were papers that had to be filled out at the border crossing. And then they sent you to a vets office a few miles away after taking down your license plate etc. if you didn’t go to the vets office they would have put a search out for your vehicle.
It can be very time consuming crossing the border. I had to wait about an hour at the border and then I had to wait 1.5 hours at the vets office since he went out to lunch. He refused to give me an appt. he said be there before 2pm. And then I got there at 11 am and he went out to lunch. A long one at that! So a commercial shipper might add that to the costs of crossing the border.
The vet just examined the paperwork, looked at the markings on the horse. I had to put the ramp down and luckily he could see that he had white legs popping out of the shipping wraps or he would have made me take the wraps off.
They did require that you give a destination of where the horse was going to.
There is no quarantine requirement but they did need to know where the horse went just in case there was an outbreak of something.