PDA

View Full Version : Tips for re-rider

Minipony75
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:22 PM
I just started riding again after about 6 years. I used to have a pretty solid leg and I could get my heels way down. I've always struggled with being a bit too far forward but now I feel like it's bad :eek: I can get in my base before the fence but feel pulled forward almost out of my tack after the fences and around the corners. What can I do to get more flexion in my ankles and a stronger base? Any tips for sitting up throughout the course. I'm 36 and feel like I've lost a lot of strength and flexibility. Well...it might also be because I've lost weight from 138ish to 105 ish depending on the day. So...strength exercises? Stretching? Help lol

AliCat
Nov. 12, 2011, 10:22 PM
You need to get some TITS. Until then, you will feel off balance and awkward. 6 years off is a long time, so of course you have lost some of the muscle memory and balance. It will come back with time.

I do core exercises at the gym, I lift weights, I run. None of it replaces TITS. I always thought that if I could work out enough, I could offset the fact that I was only riding one day a week. Now that I started a lease I can feel a huge difference in my horse and my riding.

Time In The Saddle!

Minipony75
Nov. 13, 2011, 12:39 AM
Lmao!! I was thinking I already have Tits...bought them last Christmas. I was thinking that was the solution. No quick fixes :( thank you for the reply.

AliCat
Nov. 13, 2011, 12:42 AM
Lmao!! I was thinking I already have Tits...bought them last Christmas. I was thinking that was the solution. No quick fixes :( thank you for the reply.

In that case, make sure you have a good, supportive sports bra. It made a HUGE difference in my balance and timing when jumping.

Ray
Nov. 13, 2011, 07:58 AM
I dont disagree with Alicat at all, BUT:

1) PILATES. more core strength will help you

2) losing that much weight changes how you feel in the saddle, your balance, etc. is 105 lbs where you want to be ? (dont answer, necessarily...). you might need to put back on a couple of pounds of **muscle**

3) are you doing fences that are too big for you at the moment ? and are there things going on with the horse other than your fitness that you are getting pulled out of the tack over the fences and on the landing ?

Minipony75
Nov. 13, 2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks Ray for the ideas. I do need to put back on some muscle. Pilates is a great idea. I lost weight not on purpose so a few more pounds wouldn't hurt. I'm jumping 2'6" max so I dont think I'm over faced and the horse I'm riding is a saint. He really is going to allow me to work on me...very grateful.

I think its just the way he jumps. The owner had to get used to his jump as well.

I just need to change my whole center of balance about 10 degrees. Harder to do in theory.