PDA

View Full Version : Please critique me! *nother video added post 6*

gallopinggal
Nov. 12, 2011, 08:44 PM
Please critique me in this video. I know it is short. Please do not judge my horse as I know he needs his head to come down. He's new to me so we're working on it. Thanks!

stolen virtue
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:00 PM
The horse is really cute, but the video is short. I am curious why you are holding onto his face ? He relaxed when you relaxed and let him have his head.

Cute, wish I had an indoor arena.

gallopinggal
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:14 PM
The horse is really cute, but the video is short. I am curious why you are holding onto his face ? He relaxed when you relaxed and let him have his head.

Cute, wish I had an indoor arena.

IT's a long story...he has some serious stiffness problems in his neck but also he REALLY anticipates the jump. If you have a looser rein he will rush. He was actually going at a super nice pace right then. Usually he'd break to a canter right before the jump. Like I said, we have a lot to work on. I am going to put a martingale on him and hopefully that will help so that I don't have to hold him so much. You're right, when I relax, his heads comes down but he also speeds up.

SendenHorse
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:18 PM
teach him to half halt off your seat when you let him relax his neck.... Try to supple him more using circles and bending lines using inside leg and rein. He needs to be more supple in his whole body.

Does he have any neck arthritis?

stolen virtue
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:41 PM
Well, I have to say that you seem like a very nice rider. My first horse was extremely hot but the bit was not ever able to slow her down. Finese was the key. Good luck it is tough to ride some horses.

gallopinggal
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:47 PM
teach him to half halt off your seat when you let him relax his neck.... Try to supple him more using circles and bending lines using inside leg and rein. He needs to be more supple in his whole body.

Does he have any neck arthritis?

Haha funny u should say that ^^ that was exactly what we were working on in the flat portion of the lesson!:lol:

Here is another video! Part of it is on the flat part of it is jumping.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGMmZajtuDE&feature=feedu

doublesstable
Nov. 13, 2011, 12:10 AM
Is Sully a lesson horse? He sure is a cutie!! I love him. Your position is quite good and you are built to ride. I don't care for the saddle it looks slick and doesn't look like it's helping your position much. Your two point is very nice.

What I think you need to work on from the video is knowing where your hands are. You post with them (up and down) and they need to be quiet. Some flat dressage type lessons would really help you. Learning the feel from your leg and seat into the soft hand to get your ever so cute horse moving better.

More of a solid leg and weighting your heel. But that I think can come partially from your saddle.

Maybe you can try a standing martingale for jumping...

gallopinggal
Nov. 13, 2011, 12:27 AM
Is Sully a lesson horse? He sure is a cutie!! I love him. Your position is quite good and you are built to ride. I don't care for the saddle it looks slick and doesn't look like it's helping your position much. Your two point is very nice.

What I think you need to work on from the video is knowing where your hands are. You post with them (up and down) and they need to be quiet. Some flat dressage type lessons would really help you. Learning the feel from your leg and seat into the soft hand to get your ever so cute horse moving better.

More of a solid leg and weighting your heel. But that I think can come partially from your saddle.

Maybe you can try a standing martingale for jumping...

Thanks so much! He is mine, not a lesson horse. ;) I actually don't keep him at that barn but hauled in for a lesson. Usually I do ride their lesson horses.

I agree with everything you said regarding heel and hands. I'm usually better with my hands in terms of posting with them but at this particular time with him being so hyped up I was really bracing/holding. I am a little low on cash but am going to by a martingale soon cuz I know he needs one bad! :)

Lastly, the saddle I just bought. It is slick with breeches that are not full seat such as the ones I was wearing in that video. But otherwise, I really like the saddle and it fits my horse well and he is a hard horse to saddle fit!

Thanks again for the critique. Anyone else?

mbhorse
Nov. 13, 2011, 01:37 AM
I agree with the comment about wanting to see your hands be more indepent from your seat and not bouncing/moving with your posting. One exercise you may want to try is to put a loose neck strap on your horse (e.g., two stirrup leathers hooked together), and hook your pinkies under the neck strap to really make you focus on keeping your hands still.

At the same time, really think about softening your forearms and elbows and keeping them flexible and fluid. If a horse braces against your hand, you don't necessarily want to brace back against him, since he is bigger & stronger and will probably win that battle. Rather, try more of a take and release repeatedly, and see if you can work in some lateral softening as well to break up his braced neck.

You have a lovely build for a rider and with some finessing would decorate a horse quite nicely.

GypsyQ
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:38 AM
Overall, your position is very nice. My biggest critique would be to relax through your arms and shoulders.

The first thing I noticed, however, was Kashmir playing in the background. Only one of my favorite songs ever :)

RugBug
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:02 PM
I agree with the comment about wanting to see your hands be more indepent from your seat and not bouncing/moving with your posting. .

This. You REALLY need to work on your hands being independent. They are bouncing a lot and when they aren't bouncing you are trying to wrestle his head down by pulling. Stop worrying about his head for a while and work on getting those independent hands. Bet your horse improves a ton once you stop bouncing and pulling.

snaffle635
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:47 PM
I'm going to tell you this because I have the same issue!

From what I can see on the video on the flat, your leg is too far back by about four inches. I think you are catching your horse with your lower leg which is causing him to put his head up. Concentrate on moving your leg much closer to the girth. You may even want to tie your stirrups to your girth to get your leg in the right position.

I'd also recommend some time on the lunge line working without stirrups and reins. That will strengthen your base of support and allow you to develop a more independent hand.

Like I said, I have the same problem. I have to constantly work on keeping my leg at the girth. I spent two months one summer with my stirrups fastened to my girth with a pair of spur straps. It felt really weird at first but I got used to it. I also rode bareback a lot and did some lunge line lessons. I've improved, but this continues to be a challenge for me.

He's a very cute horse and you have lots of potential!

gallopinggal
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses! I really do appreciate them and please believe me when I say that my hands are 80% better when we're at home. He was very, very hyped bc he was in a new place. I probably wasn't dealing with the problem correctly but that is not how my hands usually are.

Secondly, what the above poster said about my leg. If you notice, my right leg does slide back significantly but when you look at my left, it never leaves it's rightful position. I am VERY left sided so my left side is better at everything and ever since I started riding I have had lots and lots of trouble with the right leg sliding back and heel not going down. :)

Rel6
Nov. 14, 2011, 12:03 AM
The thing about horses that rush is that they expect someone to pull on them or hold their face. Some of them rush because they are anxious about people grabbing their mouth, others have learned they can brace against their rider.

With horses that like to rush, the best thing you can do is drop their bridle and squeeze them towards a fence. By supporting them and being soft you get rid of the anxiety that causes rushing. It seems counter-intuitive at first, but after a few riders you get a more relaxed horse that doesn't need his face micromanaged.

stolen virtue
Nov. 14, 2011, 12:40 AM
The thing about horses that rush is that they expect someone to pull on them or hold their face. Some of them rush because they are anxious about people grabbing their mouth, others have learned they can brace against their rider.

With horses that like to rush, the best thing you can do is drop their bridle and squeeze them towards a fence. By supporting them and being soft you get rid of the anxiety that causes rushing. It seems counter-intuitive at first, but after a few riders you get a more relaxed horse that doesn't need his face micromanaged.

So very true. Ride off your legs and forget about the bit.

Tegan
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:47 PM
Try thinking of your elbows as a hinge joint. You are moving your hands up and down when you post, and your elbow should be bending and straightening instead. Relax your arm and try to have a more flexible elbow to lead to quieter hands.

LoveJubal
Nov. 14, 2011, 02:54 PM
So very true. Ride off your legs and forget about the bit.

It definitely doesn't sound like the correct answer, but it does work... Good Luck with him, he is super cute. Even though you have things to work on, (and don't we all :lol:) you are a nice rider.

KateKat
Nov. 14, 2011, 03:35 PM
what a cutie!!

Ditto on the tenseness. I really wanted to see you sit back and relax your shoulders/elbows. You can see how stiff and scrunched you are approaching the jumps. Probably comes from anticipating him rushing the jump, though. And like others have said, holding the face doesn't help. What you need to do is sit back, put your leg on (and not a "going" leg, just a nice, supportive leg), and just keep a super light feel with a following elbow. He may rush at first, but once he realizes that you aren't going to hold onto his face I bet he will back himself off.

And the sitting back with leg on will also help with not jumping head, and keep you in the tack if he refuses. Because perching like that is asking to be dumped if he stops (as me how I know, lol)

The weirdest concept for me in learning to ride my horse is that the hotter she is, the less hand I need to use, in conjunction with more leg. So say if I decide I'm going to have 5 lbs of pressure on the reins, that needs to be backed up with 10 lbs of leg pressure. Otherwise, its just a pulling match that gets ugly and my horse will drag me around. The forward horses like this will definitely teach you a lot!