PDA

View Full Version : social networks & sale horses

Giddy-up
Nov. 11, 2011, 05:13 PM
So looking at my Facebook & seeing videos posted of people trying horses got me thinking.

For example--potential buyer comes to try horse & videos the ride. Goes home & posts on their FB (or whatever). Video shows horse having some crashes or stops (could be rider or horse's fault). Plus people are also commenting on it (some may be positive or negative remarks). Somestimes the horse/location is outright identified ("here I am trying Pepper at Happy Trails Farm") or you can figure out who the horse is by watching, who the person is, etc...

As a seller, how do you handle this? Do you let buyers video trial rides? Do you ask upfront if they will be posting on social networks?

dags
Nov. 11, 2011, 05:30 PM
I wonder about this every time someone posts such a thread on here. Then follows it up by releasing vet results to the public.

It's always innocent enough. Often they post the ad, What do you think of this horse? Then the inevitable Update: I tried him! in which another round of opinions are given. And sometimes, Update :( failed the PPE for xyz reasons.

Good and bad can come of it. Traffic is driven to the ad, perhaps the video showed a ride not-so-great for OP but perfect for someone watching. Sometimes a very vague view of vet findings are revealed and before you know it it's that "3 legged lame one".

Such is the new world. Videoing a trial is very useful especially if you traveled far or traveled sans trainer. That said, I do not think it's unreasonable to request the video not be posted publicly. It can still go to YouTube on a private link to be shared. Problem is there is no real way to police this.

Rel6
Nov. 11, 2011, 09:50 PM
I am very careful about this. I wasn't always as a junior trying horses, but seeing the sale side of it I am now very aware.

I tried a horse for the EAP last year and had the trainer take a video. I put the video on facebook...only because the horse was really good. I got slightly left behind to one jump, but I think my description was something like "I had a blast with him, he was amazing. I just tried to stay out of his way!" If there had been one bad moment I would still have put it up, but with a self-deprecating remark to make it clear it was all rider error. Anything that I though showed the horse negatively would not go up. I don't want to annoy a trainer, or cause anyone to think twice about wanting me to try a horse.

When I send ads back and forth between friends, maybe suggesting a horse or a friend wants an opinion, it is always done in private facebook messaging. I have a ton of facebook friends that are involved in the horse industry, and I do not want to offend someone just because their horse may not be quite right for one particular person.

Giddy-up
Nov. 12, 2011, 10:45 AM
dags--I am glad you responded seeing as this is your line of business. Your clients spend the money & you spend the time to promote the horse in the best ways possible yet a bad video posted by an outside party could really alter things.

To keep it clear, I am not talking about the ads or videos the seller puts out there. Those are free game I feel cause that is what the seller has chosen to put out there. I am referring to the video clips taken during a trial ride that the potential buyer is posting. The seller has nothing to do with those yet it's their horse.

baymarewithflair
Nov. 12, 2011, 11:12 AM
Great question, I wondered about this myself as it happened to me earlier this year.

Someone tried my horse in the spring on a very cold and windy day. Horse was well behaved, but definitely fresh and swapped off in one line (not normal).

A month or two after they came a friend told me that the video was on YouTube-- my horses's show name was plastered all over it, so anyone searching on the name would see it. I wasn't amused. I didn't care it was out there, I just cared that it was readily searchable. Just not something I would do.

Carol Ames
Nov. 12, 2011, 12:25 PM
I've not noticed :no:comments on YouTube to be too critical of horses:no:

, only the riders:lol:

Carol Ames
Nov. 12, 2011, 12:35 PM
I appreciate sales videos wherever they are posted, as a buyer; as a seller, however, I would want;) control :mad:of any, actually most sales videos; especially of trial rides:yes:

I wonder if some sort of written agreement could be drawn up , to be signed by whoever is doing the videoing:cool: restricting use of any such video:o

Carol Ames
Nov. 12, 2011, 12:41 PM
AS someone said recently, remember, posting anything online is posting it for the WHOLE WORLD :eek:to see

BeeHoney
Nov. 12, 2011, 02:16 PM
I've not personally ever had a problem with this (that I'm aware of at least!)

I think it is hard to control other people. I would never stop a buyer from videoing a sales horse, I think it is smart shopping for buyers to review a video of the horse and their ride. But once people take some pictures/video, realistically it is hard to control what they do with it. I guess you could say something beforehand like: "As a courtesy, I ask that you not post any photos or videos publicly on the internet." Probably most people would respect that.