PDA

View Full Version : Clinic Attire

northerhunter
Nov. 11, 2011, 12:43 PM
I am riding in my first clinic this weekend, and want to run what me and my mare will be wearing. I think I'm good, but you can never be too sure.

Me:
Beige show breeches (w/ base layer underneath)
Tall boots
Blue polo
Black V-neck sweater (again w/ base layer underneath)
Black gloves
CO helmet w/ hair up

Mare:
Saddle, half pad, NEW white baby pad
Breastplate
Bridle w/ D-ring and flash
Black open front boots

I don't think I've forgotten anything... but let me know if I have.
Thanks!

ponymom64
Nov. 11, 2011, 12:56 PM
Make sure your boots and tack are cleaned and polished. Also, take some time to trim your mare's whiskers, ears and fetlocks. Pull her mane so it's tidy and please make sure she is spotless!

My DD participated in a clinic with McLain Ward back in the spring and I was shocked at the number of riders who brought dirty, unkempt horses

ETA - please make sure you are wearing spurs and carrying a crop. Or have same in your ring box in case they become necessary ;)

pryme_thyme
Nov. 11, 2011, 12:57 PM
Your good for sure and as long as it is a jumper clinic you are good, have fun!

northerhunter
Nov. 11, 2011, 01:03 PM
Make sure your boots and tack are cleaned and polished. Also, take some time to trim your mare's whiskers, ears and fetlocks. Pull her mane so it's tidy and please make sure she is spotless!

My DD participated in a clinic with McLain Ward back in the spring and I was shocked at the number of riders who brought dirty, unkempt horses

ETA - please make sure you are wearing spurs and carrying a crop. Or have same in your ring box in case they become necessary ;)

I knew I forgot something! Mare had her mane pulled this week, and had a trim as well. While she is already in winter fuzzy mode (she spends 12hrs minimum a day outside), I'll be getting there early to wash her legs and give her a good groom.

I'll be carrying a crop, but mare definately doesn't need the spurs, but I'll make sure they're on hand in the arena anyways.

JBCool
Nov. 11, 2011, 01:29 PM
You sound ready to me! Have fun! :)

Renn/aissance
Nov. 11, 2011, 02:15 PM
Your attire sounds fine- as long as your horse is clean and you are also wearing your listening ears you'll be just fine. :) With whom are you taking the clinic? Have fun!

supershorty628
Nov. 11, 2011, 03:59 PM

Kip was out here doing a clinic and one person showed up in jeans and dirty boots (and then was rude when Kip said something about it)...I was SHOCKED. Respect is going down the drain these days!!!

OP, you sound like you're in good shape! Have a great time :)

ponymom64
Nov. 11, 2011, 04:01 PM
Kip was out here doing a clinic and one person showed up in jeans and dirty boots (and then was rude when Kip said something about it)...I was SHOCKED. Respect is going down the drain these days!!!

I would have been mortified! Good for Kip for saying something about it.

2foals
Nov. 11, 2011, 09:51 PM
I have a clinic coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to figure out if there exists a nice looking pair of h/j style winter breeches, I'm tired of fiddling with layers all the time.

Northerhunter, you sound set to me...the only other thing I could think of would be to do some kind of minimal clip job like a traces high clip or just the chest/belly/bottom of neck, something minimal just so your horse doesn't get as sweaty.

Rel6
Nov. 11, 2011, 09:53 PM
Your good for sure and as long as it is a jumper clinic you are good, have fun!

Why just a jumper clinic? This is standard attire for any clinic. You don't need to show up at an eq or hunter clinic in show clothes.

mildot
Nov. 11, 2011, 10:05 PM
Last dressage clinic I attended I wore a L/S solid color polo (blue/gray), clean conservative tan breeches with a black belt, polished black field boots, and a Tipp Sportage lid.

Horse got nothing more than a good brushing all around including mane and tail. No braiding, no pulling, no roaching, no banging, no clipping.

We were there to work and be effective, not to win a beauty pageant.

huntereq1991
Nov. 11, 2011, 10:40 PM
I have a clinic coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to figure out if there exists a nice looking pair of h/j style winter breeches, I'm tired of fiddling with layers all the time.

This (http://www.smartpakequine.com/winter-weight-breeches-5387p.aspx?cm_vc=Search)is one pair that comes to mind. I do not own them, so I cannot give a detailed review. I was looking for a nice pair of breeches last winter and this was my top pick, but I never ended up getting them. It is quite difficult to find a pair of winter breeches that are similar to TS and nice enough to wear for clinics! You can find more reviews on here if you do a search for "custom riding apparel" as that is the company that manufactures them. It seems that sizing may be a bit tricky, but SmartPak offers free return shipping. Also, these (http://www.smartpakequine.com/comfort-ride-breeches-6408p.aspx?cm_vc=Search) are the breeches made by the same company, but without the extra winter warmth.

For the OP, I definitely think you are appropriately attired for the clinic! Best of luck!

2foals
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks huntereq for the rec. I've never bought that brand but they look nice.

Donkerbruin
Nov. 12, 2011, 11:18 PM
I knew I forgot something! Mare had her mane pulled this week, and had a trim as well. While she is already in winter fuzzy mode (she spends 12hrs minimum a day outside), I'll be getting there early to wash her legs and give her a good groom.

I'll be carrying a crop, but mare definately doesn't need the spurs, but I'll make sure they're on hand in the arena anyways.

I've done two GM clinics and he says always wear spurs and carry a stick -- only use them if you need them! You sound like you'll look great though. Good luck and have fun!

GingerJumper
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:49 AM
Sounds good to me! Just make sure your boots clean :) For good measure I'd make sure all your tack got a quick wipe down as well. Obviously the horse needs to be clean as well, but others have already covered that, lol!

sprinterz
Nov. 13, 2011, 04:19 PM
Just wanted to add to make sure you have a nice belt and your shirt tucked in.

Other than that, you sound set! Good luck! :)

RugBug
Nov. 13, 2011, 09:48 PM
Horse got nothing more than a good brushing all around including mane and tail. No braiding, no pulling, no roaching, no banging, no clipping.

We were there to work and be effective, not to win a beauty pageant.

IMO, your horse should be show ring ready, even if it's just a clinic. If you can do that with just brushing, than good for you. My horse can go into the show ring without a bath (Horse #1, (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g14/slorugbug/Elf/ElfSleepyeyed.jpg) not bathed for a month prior, Horse #2, (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g14/slorugbug/horse%20stuff/ShowSYVEA4-15.jpg)not bathed for 6 months prior, just socks/tail before the show...both not bathed because it was too cold.) If you can't, well, maybe you should up your standards a bit.

It's not a beauty pageant, it's called being respectful of who you are riding with. You don't have to go overboard (braiding) but you should be show-ring clean, no dusties, no whiskers, no feathers (unless your riding a breed that should have feathers <-- for those that will read that and get all uppity because they ride a Friesian or some such.)

OP: what you/horse are wearing sounds just fine.

mildot
Nov. 13, 2011, 10:03 PM
It's not a beauty pageant, it's called being respectful of who you are riding with.
My clinician was fine with Calypso being just how she was. He was more interested in how we worked together than what we looked like.

northerhunter
Nov. 14, 2011, 09:08 AM
Quick update:
The clinic was amazing!! I will upload a couple of videos on my break later. In the meantime, here's a quick picture of us flatting during the clinic yesterday.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/hjrebel4life/trot.jpg

BAC
Nov. 14, 2011, 10:54 AM

Kip should have thrown her out of the clinic and not refunded her money. Respect and horsemanship are down the drain, unfortunately.

My friend was giving a clinic and happened to mention to a horse's owner that he had difficulty trying to adjust the martingale the previous day due to its filthy condition. Both the owner and the horse's rider were unphased by his comment. :rolleyes:

Renn/aissance
Nov. 14, 2011, 11:17 AM
Northerhunter, I'm so sorry to see that your horse has such a terrible trot with absolutely no length of stride. Really awful. ;) You two look great and I'm glad you had such a good time!

Void
Nov. 20, 2011, 05:26 PM
I have a dumb question.... when you wear a sweater in a clinic, do you tuck that into your breeches as well?

HGem
Nov. 20, 2011, 09:19 PM
Attire sounds great and looks great. Glad you had an awesome clinic!

As for making sure your horse is clean for a clinic. It is a MUST. My mare is certainly no breeze to keep clean. But for any type of show or clinic she is spotless, cliped, trimmed, etc. This was my turn out for the clinic I did this year:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/HorseWhisperer/Molly%202011/molly4.jpg

Of course the ring was so sloppy all my hard work was ruined in a few laps around the ring :( Regardless I was complimented on her by the clinician.

GingerJumper
Nov. 20, 2011, 09:22 PM
I have a dumb question.... when you wear a sweater in a clinic, do you tuck that into your breeches as well?

I've never tucked mine in, and I wear sweaters frequently. I normally just tuck the shirt in and use a belt but leave the sweater out.