PDA

View Full Version : Equipe saddles?

hongkong
Nov. 10, 2011, 09:08 PM
I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this brand- I can't seem to find much about their saddles on the internet. Does anyone know the differences between the jumping saddle models within the Theoreme and Platinum range- block sizes, seat depth, tree shape... I am looking for a saddle with small blocks and medium deep seat. My horse is a TB.
I haven't ridden in many different saddles, as I we don't really have tack shops in this area. I have, however, ridden in a Devoucoux Biarritz and I loved it. I have read that the tree is quite 'banana' shaped and will not really fit a TB. Are there any Equipe saddles that ride like a Biarritz?

Thank you everyone in advance! :D

Annandale
Nov. 10, 2011, 10:24 PM
Others might have more to add about your specific questions, but there was a thread on the Equipe saddles a little while ago so I'm including a link to that. I haven't re-read through it, but there's a chance you'll find some relevant info in there, too.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246812&highlight=equipe

Star's Ascent
Nov. 10, 2011, 10:54 PM
I can't really answer any of the questions you have because of the same reason of very little information. That said, I did/do (its on consignment currently so technically I still own it!) have one. Mine was the 15.5 Expression pony. Its a beautiful saddle, mine was the really dark brown, which wasn't really my first choice, but still good looking. I only rode in it for about 8 months if that before my filly outgrew it. It fit her perfectly in the tree, but was too tight in her shoulders. (she has kind of quarter horsey shoulders) I rode in it 3-5 times a week for the amount of time I had it and it still looks brand new. And for the record, I'm not the nicest to my stuff. Mine was also the full calfskin which wasn't overly soft, while I had it which I liked. (see above about not being nice to things.) I would buy one again if they came in a 16". I fit the 15.5 which actually measured big at 15.75, and I currently ride in a 16.5 (Antares) but I prefer a 16" seat and if the pony measures big I am afraid the 16.5 will also. The down side is that because they are not a well known brand people are not as keen to try it in the resell sense. Its totally worth the money in my book, and you can find them for a good price on ebay. That is where I found mine.

sansibar
Nov. 11, 2011, 10:00 AM
My friends barn just switched over all of their saddles to Equipe from Butet, CWD, Delgrange etc. I was on their website they seem to have some nice tack. I can't speak from first hand experience, but these people who switched only use the highest end tack so they must be good! :)

hongkong
Nov. 11, 2011, 09:59 PM
thank you very much everyone for your replies!

hongkong
Nov. 11, 2011, 10:05 PM
btw Star's Ascent, how big are the blocks on your Expression?

Star's Ascent
Nov. 11, 2011, 11:09 PM
Ummm.... good question! I haven't seen it since June since its on consignment. Here is a photo (hopefully the link works of it) This is a 15.5"
http://s1044.photobucket.com/albums/b449/HighEndUsedSaddles/M70C%20Equipe%20Expressions%20Pony%20Saddle/?action=view&current=M70CEquipeExpressionPonySaddle-billets001.jpg

Nuggets
Nov. 12, 2011, 12:04 AM
I have the Extreme, and it has smaller blocks than the Expression, but it also has a slightly flatter seat. I love mine - the calf leather is great and grippy, but seems strong enough to not wear out in a year. I also have an Emporio as my backup saddle, and it actually has the smaller blocks with a deeper seat, but the leather isn't quite as nice - it's standard leather, not calf (but it was also half the price of the Extreme). They're great saddles - I can't say enough good things about my experience with them.

megpoo
Nov. 12, 2011, 12:52 AM
They are absolutely gorgeous saddles (for the price especially). I love mine... so of course my TB mare just outgrew it. So, I now have an 16.5" Equipe Expression for sale also. Regarding the tree shape, I've found that mine is not quite "banana shaped" enough for my curvy mare. It accommodated her long wither well, just not enough "padding" under the cantle panels, if that makes any sense, so I could not use it without a riser on her or I'd be put in a chair seat.

hongkong
Nov. 18, 2011, 07:08 AM
Soo... does anyone have/experienced the Oxer model??

alto
Nov. 18, 2011, 01:18 PM
Talk to Carmen at Bakers (http://www.bakerssaddlery.com/), I believe he still has the Oxer & some Expressions (also sold the Extreme): Baker's sold Equipe until the company decided to change their distribution.

Starda01
Nov. 18, 2011, 07:41 PM
I have an Equipe Extreme. I love it. I bought it as a second saddle after I noticed my Childeric, which is calfskin, was showing wear. It's a different ride to the Childeric, it's flatter and therefore you don't feel as cradled as you do in a deeper seated saddle. That said, I can feel my horse's back much more. The twist is narrow so my legs really wrap around the horse. The blocks are minimal. Leather quality and craftsmanship is very high end. I bought my saddle on eBay from the link I'm giving below. Malvern Saddlery sells this saddle for $3600. The Oxer is also sold through them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EQUIPE-EXTREME-CLOSE-CONTACT-ENGLISH-SADDLE-ITALY-NEW-Lower-/330639808166?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfbab16a6#ht_770wt_922

Oh, my horse is a TB and if fits him fine.

SquishTheBunny
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:44 AM
I like the equipes.

I have a devoucoux biarritz,for the exact opposite reason you arent getting one. I have 2 thoroughbreds, and I tried various saddles (childeric, antares, CWD) and it was the devoucoux that fit them (and me) the best.

I have only sat in an equipe though, they feel quite nice.

hongkong
Nov. 20, 2011, 02:05 AM
Thanks!

Sulta
Nov. 20, 2011, 07:40 AM
I have one - got it about a year and a half ago. Equipe Expression. Love it! I ride 5-6 days a week and it looks as good as it did when I got it. Leather is soft but grippy. It is a shallow seat, which I like with small blocks, which I like. I can really feel my horse under me, like the saddle's not even there. I have a Clyde/TB cross, who is built more like a TB - and it was the one that fit her and I the best (and I tried every brand I could find). She's growing and developing (was 4yo when I got it) and with just adjusting pads, etc it's managed to keep up with her growth. She's a bit of a banana shape, with medium height withers.

Everyone who has ridden in it has loved it as well.

alto
Nov. 20, 2011, 12:34 PM
An Equipe Emporio "On Offer" (http://www.horseloverz.com/Equipe-Emporio-Jump-Saddle---Brown---175-Medium-pr-693349.html)

hongkong
Nov. 30, 2011, 11:59 PM
thanks everyone, another question:

do they accommodate horses with big shoulders well? does it give freedom to the horse's shoulders?

and:

how is the leather quality? does the calfskin last long or should i get the grain leather one?

:)

dogrider
Dec. 3, 2011, 01:46 PM
there are some on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330645959230?ssPageName=STRK:MEUSX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649