PDA

View Full Version : Quarter Sheets

Spinn
Nov. 10, 2011, 08:41 PM
How many of you ride with quarter sheets in the winter? Checking Dover and Smartpak there is only a few brands available, which do you all recommend? Thanks:)

rugbygirl
Nov. 10, 2011, 08:48 PM
Custom ones:

Pegasus Equine or the Clothes Horse

I looked at a lot of the ready-made ones and couldn't find the right combination of features (like ties and reinforced stirrup pockets and things) and if I was going to pay for one, I wanted the "right" colours!

My other route for schooling and trails, is to "modify" an old cooler by cutting off the front panels, and using excess to patch any tears. This makes a very ugly quarter sheet, but if you're going through trees, or possibly going to just drop it in the middle of an area or something later, this is not a bad thing.

Kryswyn
Nov. 10, 2011, 08:51 PM
Thermatex. Wool to the horse, so it stays warm even when wet. Two layers of polypropylene woven for wicking, then an acrylic top quilted so nothing shifts. You can get one that fits behind the saddle, or one with a saddle cut out. Machine washable. Keeps your horse warm. When your horse begins to sweat, it really wicks away the moisture and your horse may be dry underneath because the sheet has already wicked away the moisture as it happens. If your horse really sweats during his work out, you may actually see beads of water on the top as Thermatex wicks that well. You can get them in custom colors, but navy, green and red are usually in stock at Horse Country.

lucyeq
Nov. 10, 2011, 08:55 PM
I really want a quarter sheet, but unfortunately, I don't exactly need one :( If I were to get one, I would get the Rambo Newmarket. Both Dover and Smartpak have it. I have the matching cooler and I LOVE it.

http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/rambo-newmarket-fleece-quarter-sheet-3884p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

rugbygirl
Nov. 10, 2011, 08:58 PM
I JUST discovered Thermatex, I re-acquired a horse I sold, and he gets pretty chilly. I headed to the tack store to replace some items for him, and they had the lightweight Thermatex blankets in the brightest shade of Turquoise.

I use it like a cooler, and agree with the wicking. It actually works a little better in wicking off sweat without chilling the horse than polar fleece.

It's also extremely light.

I DON'T love the plastic squeeze-clip buckles, but on a quarter sheet that wouldn't matter as much :D

indygirl2560
Nov. 10, 2011, 09:31 PM
I ride with a quarter sheet when it's cold. I have a wool centaur one that I love!!! I bought a fleece weatherbeeta one, but got my centaur one shortly after, so the weatherbeeta hasn't even made it out of the bag yet! I paid around $40 on sale for the centaur and the warmth/weight of the wool was well worth it.

DressageOverFences
Nov. 10, 2011, 10:02 PM
I ordered a wool witney quarter sheet from White Rose Saddlery in England. Shipping wasnt bad and I got it quickly, and it was no more than the Rambo one that has the same stripe pattern. I absolutely love it! On top of the fact that no one has one, it stays in place, its the right weight, and its gorgeous wool. I use it all the time.

cottonXCblondie
Nov. 10, 2011, 10:47 PM
I really want a quarter sheet, but unfortunately, I don't exactly need one :(

same here!

majanick
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:04 PM
I have the Rambo one and a custom wool one. I really like the Rambo and use it often. The one bonus of the custom one if that they have a really good cut out for your leg. Truly though the Rambos are inexpensive and really nice thick fleece for the money.

BeeHoney
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:21 PM
The Rambos are a good value, heavy fleece that stays in place during a workout, they fit well and wash well. I have others that don't drape quite right and I do not like a "flappy" feeling quarter sheet. I love wool, but seriously, you can't toss it in the wash like the fleece...

candysgirl
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:25 PM
I LOVE my Rambo quarter sheet. http://horsetackco.com/horseware-rambo-competition-quarter-sheet.html

I used it on my last endurance ride when it was 35F at the 8am start. I had forgotten my Under Armor Cold Gear to wear under my breeches and my legs stayed comfortable. We were actually both really hot under it about an hour in when we were in a valley out of the wind and it had warmed up to 40F. I ended up having to put it under my legs and roll it up.

Indy
Nov. 11, 2011, 07:56 AM
I have one of Smartpak's coolers. It's nice quality, especially for the price, but it's not super heavy. I think the only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have the cutback sides and it's kind of long for my mare so there's a lot of fleece under my legs if I don't fold back the sides just so.

I'm thinking of getting a wool one or at least a thicker fleece one for this winter because the mare does not appreciate the cold weather one bit so the warmer her butt, the better she is. I'd use the Smartpak one for fall/spring and the warmer one for the dead of winter.

cswoodlandfairy
Nov. 11, 2011, 08:29 AM
I really want a quarter sheet, but unfortunately, I don't exactly need one :( If I were to get one, I would get the Rambo Newmarket. Both Dover and Smartpak have it. I have the matching cooler and I LOVE it.

http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/rambo-newmarket-fleece-quarter-sheet-3884p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

This is exactly what I have and love it! I use it all the time in the winter. It doesnt have the wicking capability as a wool cooler does, but then again I primarily use it to keep him warm while warming up and me warm while hacking out. I have a seperate cooler for the wicking part. Love it and fun color combinations as well!!

Now if only they would make a quarter sheet that would match their Team Ireland stable blanket for my Irish boy! ;)

OveroHunter
Nov. 11, 2011, 09:27 AM
I bought a quarter sheet once that was on sale for very little. I soon found out that the reason it was probably so cheap was because it turned into a flailing cape whenever we went faster than a walk or if the wind blew... My mare was none too thrilled!

Celeritas
Nov. 11, 2011, 11:08 AM
Mine is from Saratoga Horseworks, and I love it. Unfortunately, their annual sale just ended, but their prices are still reasonable. I have the PolarTec 200 Riding Blanket, it's semi-custom because you can pick your own color combinations (though they don't have as many body colors as they used to, mine is purple). They do a really nice job on embroidery too. I've had mine for 2 years now and it still looks new, it washes up really nicely, and it stays in place since it's a heavier fleece.

candysgirl
Nov. 11, 2011, 11:20 AM
I bought a quarter sheet once that was on sale for very little. I soon found out that the reason it was probably so cheap was because it turned into a flailing cape whenever we went faster than a walk or if the wind blew... My mare was none too thrilled!

Sew some weights on the corners and a cord to go under her tail. Should take care of the problem if you don't want to buy a new one.

cleozowner
Nov. 11, 2011, 12:12 PM
The Rambos are a good value, heavy fleece that stays in place during a workout, they fit well and wash well. I have others that don't drape quite right and I do not like a "flappy" feeling quarter sheet. I love wool, but seriously, you can't toss it in the wash like the fleece...

Okay, so maybe I'm just quarter sheet-challenged, but how do you get these things to stay in place? I've tried multiple sheets on multiple horses, and they all seem to slide backward.

Trick
Nov. 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
I have a really nice wool one from Saratoga Horseworks (I have the one with the cutout and velcro but I wish I had the plain one because I can't really wear it around my legs and ride anyway) that, unfortunately, my horse hates because she thinks it is heavy and annoying. We call it "the magic cape" and I tried to force her to wear it for about a week but got tired of riding through all the kicking out/acting up so it is now "the magic tack box warmer".

TrakeGirl
Nov. 11, 2011, 03:03 PM
http://www.equusnow.com/prodview.asp?idProduct=2429

Check out the Curvon (maker of Baker products) custom quarter sheets. I love the Euro styling you can order (cut away by the leg).

They also come with Baker fabric under the withers for extra durability.

You can get fleece or wool.

I have this kind and I also have the kind that velcros in front of the saddle. I use the Curvon one the most on days I am not planning to remove the sheet during the ride. Use the other kind on warmer days I know I will be taking off sheet after warming up.

jump4me
Nov. 11, 2011, 03:49 PM
I have one from Saratoga Horseworks, and I love it! I wanted one that *didn't* have the saddle cutout, and needed a huge one to fit my huge horse. Plus, I could get it in my colors!

BMargieRad
Nov. 11, 2011, 08:16 PM
Another vote for Thermatex

I order directly from them at http://www.thermatex.co.uk/

I ordered another in mid October, custom colors etc, and got it about 2 weeks later. I have ordered multiple times from them and have never had any problems

The quarter sheet is great. It's the perfect weight, stays put and velcros to your billets so no interference with with your leg!

EAY
Nov. 11, 2011, 08:28 PM
I have the Rambo Newmarket fleece one and have been happy with it. It doesn't move while we're riding and once we're warmed up it's easy to remove. My mare has some back issues and I find it really helps on cold days to keep those muscles warm. I also sometimes use it as a cooler on days when it is too warm for a full cooler but cool enough that I worry about those back muscles tightening up after work.

I also bought a wool one at the Tack Exchange that I love but alas it does not fit my big girl. Though it is labeled as horse size, perhaps someone shrunk it, so it's now the pony's. But since he, despite being body clipped in September, is now a hairy yak he won't be needing it until the spring when we clip it off again to find that there really is a pony under all that fur and not a wooly mammoth.

ktm2007
Nov. 12, 2011, 05:14 PM
Out of curiosity: At what temp do you pull the quarter sheets out?

blondebates
Nov. 12, 2011, 05:26 PM
I have one, and in Florida I got to use it a whole 2 days a year when it's cold enough ;). I had some friends who made their own last year.

shadowanne
Nov. 13, 2011, 02:06 PM
I love my Rambo Newmarket Fleece Qtr sheet (aka Competition Sheet). I also have it in the cooler and love it for the wicking & washing properties. It also stays perfectly in place. I actually own both sets in the chocolate & navy (and wear a matching vest!) and both are beautiful as well as functional. They also double as lap blankets while spectating other lessons. :)

Herbie19
Nov. 13, 2011, 05:24 PM
I do if it's in the low 20's. My MIL made mine out of an old wool cooler. I love it!

Alibhai's Alibar
Nov. 13, 2011, 06:16 PM
Thermatex. Wool to the horse, so it stays warm even when wet. Two layers of polypropylene woven for wicking, then an acrylic top quilted so nothing shifts. You can get one that fits behind the saddle, or one with a saddle cut out. Machine washable. Keeps your horse warm. When your horse begins to sweat, it really wicks away the moisture and your horse may be dry underneath because the sheet has already wicked away the moisture as it happens. If your horse really sweats during his work out, you may actually see beads of water on the top as Thermatex wicks that well. You can get them in custom colors, but navy, green and red are usually in stock at Horse Country.

Thermatex gets my vote, too. LOVE everything Thermatex. I have a black cooler and a black quarter sheet. They pop up on Tack of the Day every so often.

harkington
Nov. 13, 2011, 09:29 PM
I have a Rambo quarter sheet (the Competition sheet) and love it. Keeps my guy warm for warming up but is quick and easy to remove for jumping and serious schooling. I really like it but I did remove the tail strap as that sometimes got in the way of a quick removal.

I had a wool quarter sheet for my pony. It was custom made for the girl I bought it from and I really liked it. I really have no preference between the two different types- I just went with what was the best quality in my price range at the time of both purchases.

I usually start wearing a quarter sheet between 15-25. The length of time its on depends on how cold it is- some days it is just for the walk to the arena and a few laps at a brisk walk, other days it is on for w/t/c warm up.

naters
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:38 PM
Anyone have one from Integrity?

Simbalism
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:48 PM
I have several, no name brand fleece ones that I got at a tent sale. I also have a custom wool one. I am in the process of making a blaze orange one for me and one for my friend. I start using them when it gets in the low 40's and windy. My mare is such a princess and hates to be cold. I also have one that is a breatheable gortex material. I never have problems with the fleece or wool ones moving about, but the gortex one is so light that if it is windy it starts flapping. I'm glad I thought about it, I will pull it out and see if I can add D rings to it and leg straps.

Give and Take
Nov. 14, 2011, 12:47 AM
I have trouble with the new ones being long enough along the spine so there's not a gap behind the saddle.

have an old 'Everest' plaid fleece one that's long enough for my 17'2"hh tb.

just got a fleece BOT one but haven't tried it yet.

usually use them around 40 or below.

meupatdoes
Nov. 14, 2011, 11:39 AM
I have a whitney quarter sheet. It is all wool and the typical red/gold/black, with girth loops and a tail strap.

I pull it out pretty early as my horse gets cold easily.
If it is sort of an in between temperature I just lay it over the saddle and ride like that so that it will be easy to remove if he gets warm.

When it is really cold the quarter sheet goes under the saddle for the whole ride and the square witney regular cooler goes over top it all for warm up and cool down. Then we are a regular vision in gold and red, haha.

rockfordbuckeye
Nov. 14, 2011, 12:09 PM
I have a Centuar cut away quarter sheet. It was < $100k and it's pretty nice. Probably not as nice as the Theramatex but I needed it in a pinch and it's doing the job fine. I also like the cut away design so I don't have blanket in the way of my leg. http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=ER90557

xxreddxheaddxx
Nov. 14, 2011, 04:51 PM
Mine is a smartpack one that was great on my little guy.

fatappy
Nov. 14, 2011, 05:04 PM
Back on Track quarter sheet! Amazing product! Your horse will be super loose if you put this on a few minutes before you get on.

I also have a wool cooler from Smartpak (Centaur I believe). I like it, it's lovely to look at, but it doesn't have lower leg cutouts. IE if you put this quarter sheet under your saddle, it get's pill-y where your legs are. I fold my quarter under my saddle flaps when I have no intentions of taking it off during a light school. just something to consider.

sisu27
Nov. 14, 2011, 05:36 PM
Thermatex is the best!!

I also have a Bucas 1/4 sheet that I like.

ElementFarm
Nov. 15, 2011, 12:47 PM
Another enthusiastic vote for the Saratoga Horseworks quarter sheets. I generally just use them for days I take my horses on the trails and it's chilly. I normally use a regular dress-sheet style over their backs when walking to warm-up or cool-down from a schooling session in the ring. But for the woods (something I do for their brains and balance a few times a month, weather/footing permitting) it's nice to have something that is less bulky and I don't have to worry about it slipping or blowing off. The Saratoga ones come in all the fun custom colors and in a variety of fabrics, so you can get exactly the style/size/look you want.

Linda
Dec. 5, 2011, 08:18 PM
This is an interesting topic for me....

After living in So Cal for ever, we now live in the mountains. It was 15 last night and not quite 30 today. I do have a quarter sheet but in LA, only used it on the early mornings I hacked over for lessons at 6 and it was maybe mid 40s out (or a little higher).

So now this is a whole new ball game.

Sounds like some of you use the quarter sheet to warm up and others do the whole ride in it. Do you jump with it?
The one I have (wool) has girth straps to keep it in place. Do you use another pad with it? -if so, does it go under or over it? I have a gel pad I use with my jump saddle. whats the protocal on this - use the quarter sheet as the saddle pad with just my gel pad?
Appreciate the help!

TrakeGirl
Dec. 6, 2011, 07:22 AM
Sounds like yours is the kind without the cutout for the saddle. In that case, you probably just need to try each set up and see how it works for you.

My quarter sheet is longer on the sides than my square pad, so I go quarter sheet, then pad on top - so I can use the girth loops on both. If I go pad...then quarter sheet...I can only use the girth loop on the quarter sheet and my pad slips back.

My other quarter sheet is the kind with the cut out for the saddle. In that case, I always go pad first then quarter sheet over. This kind of quarter sheet can get bunchy around the saddle area, so I rather not have that directly against the horse. YMWV!

Also, if I put one on, it stays on the whole ride. And yes, we jump with it. Doesn't bother horse at all. I will say, I prefer to use the fleece ones for jumping as they are a little more stretchy. If I only need a little warmth for warm up, I use a square cooler.

purplnurpl
Dec. 6, 2011, 09:10 AM
How many of you ride with quarter sheets in the winter? Checking Dover and Smartpak there is only a few brands available, which do you all recommend? Thanks:)

I just bought the low model fleece quarter sheet from Dover for $19.99 in the sale catalog. : )

I warm up with it on.

Savannah Blue
Dec. 6, 2011, 09:13 AM
Some really cool quarter sheets, I didn't even know all these options were available.

ShaSamour
Dec. 6, 2011, 12:55 PM
Anyone have one from Integrity?

I do! I won it in 1999 as a high-score prize, and it's one of my favorite pieces of horse clothing. It's the heavy wool, cut back for your legs, and it has billet straps (so it goes under the saddle). I've used it every winter since (so that's like, what, 12 years or so?) and it's held up beautifully.

I've also got one from Saratoga (fleece) with the saddle cut-out/velcro, but I don't like it half as well as the one from Integrity.

theinstigator
Dec. 6, 2011, 01:26 PM
Sort of off topic, but can anyone comment on Thermatex and static electricity?

Being from the PNW, I love, love, LOVE polarfleece....but now that I live in the frozen tundra of way upstate NY, I can't use fleece in the dead of winter because our air is SO DRY the static is unbearable. I can't even wear fleece lined breeches or my fleece long johns, or I'd be shocking every horse and person I came in contact with. :no:

Any other material suggestions for quarter sheets/dress sheets that don't hold insane amounts of static in dry weather?

reay6790
Dec. 6, 2011, 04:52 PM
I usually wear one when I am so cold that I am extremely uncomfortable outside. Usually when its in the 20s.

For those of you who asked about them slipping:

I have a horse who literally has no withers. TB too...odd :)

Anyways, I use a nunn-finer no-slip pad (new ones are very smooth and soft, not like old gritty ones and they still work just as well) under all saddle pads. When I use a quarter sheet that goes under the saddle and not over, I do nunn-finer no slip pad, quarter sheet, half pad, and then saddle.

very, very minimal slipping! and this is fleece.

I have a dover one (haven't used it yet) and a custom one that isn't made anymore.