View Full Version : Lessons for Young Kids (Colorado)

Nov. 10, 2011, 08:20 PM
My 5-yr old son has announced he wants to keep riding. Fine by me! My question is who would you recommend?

I am willing to drive as far as the CHP/Parker area from Pueblo in order to have him with someone we're both comfortable with. He does need someone who has a pony he can lesson on, however, since I'm not sure I can secure one I have access to for him.

He won't be able to start lessons until April due to hockey season being in full swing (yes, he plays ice hockey. This is his second year playing, third year on skates) and my lack of desire to put too many things on his plate at this age. That does, however, give me plenty of time to vet coaches.

I do have two people that I'd like to talk to (with whom I am acquainted), but I'd like to gain the opinions of others here.

I would GREATLY appreciate any and all suggestions, and I thank you all in advance!

Nov. 14, 2011, 01:45 PM
Hmm. The lack of response has surprised me! I do thank the one person who PM'd me....that suggestion was one I was thinking about.

I guess I'll call the 2-3 people in mind, set up an appointment to watch them teach a beginner (I've seen and/or ridden with these folks, so I know the more advanced teaching), and go from there. Maybe he can have a lesson with each (again, spring) before the final decision is made.

Kiddo will get back on a pony over the winter with me teaching, so that'll take the rust off. I just know that we'll end up arguing over what I ask him to do (like minds, and stubborn!), so I want to hand him off to someone else in order to keep it fun for him. If he changes his mind and decides it's all hockey, fine! I just want to give him the best opportunity I can without my own interference.

Thanks for at least looking, everyone! I'll let you know how things go. :)

Nov. 14, 2011, 01:50 PM
Spring is a long way off, a five year old may have easily changed his mind by then. And five is young for regular lessons, a lot of places in my area don't really want to take kids younger than 7, maybe that accounts for the lack of responses?

Nov. 14, 2011, 01:58 PM
Maybe. Spring is a long way off, correct. Time will tell, but knowing how he has stuck with everything he's started from shortly before he turned one makes me believe he's truly interested. I readily admit I could easily be seeing through rose-colored glasses, though. Most parents do!

I've not heard the 7 year rule. I guess things have changed quite a bit in the past 2 years? That was the last LL class he did and it was mentioned then (unsolicited, mind you) that 5 was "the going age" to start kids (Frankly, I think the individuals who approached us after the class were interested in the pony). That was the age kids really began in earnest when I was growing up, too (35, not a youngster!).

Thank you for the heads-up! Seriously, I greatly appreciate it.

Nov. 14, 2011, 02:00 PM
You have a PM

Nov. 14, 2011, 02:05 PM
I'm a long ways from Colorado, (east coast) and of course there are 5 year olds and even younger who ride, but a lot of the barns do have policies regarding age, I think mainly because some children have such short attention spans before that age. Your son sounds as though he is the exception though, so hopefully by springtime you will have found him a suitable instructor.

Nov. 14, 2011, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't say he's the exception :lol: More like I'm the one who's trying to get ahead.

I guess the age restriction of 7 at the barns took me by surprise because the restriction norm used to be 5. But it also makes sense with the attention span having become less, insurance requirements becoming more strict, and a lot of trainers having a lot less time. If that's the case, he can wait. Won't hurt him.

No, really, I do appreciate it. I know sometimes parents a huge PITA, especially in a forum such as this (no pun intended), and I certainly don't want to be one. Failed, but...yeah, you know!

Nov. 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
No need to apologize, and not all barns have age restrictions , its just a generality. I'm sure most of those places make exceptions, in fact in this economy I doubt they are about to turn away a paying client. But I do think that at the younger ages most kids lessons are glorified pony rides, unless they are the children of pros. Most likely Sam Schaefer, McLain Ward, Tori Colvin and Schaefer Raposa were all jumping courses by the time they were three. :D