PDA

View Full Version : Any intrest in a permanent catch-riding thread?

poorworkingstudent
Nov. 10, 2011, 02:25 PM
I see the sticky threads in "Off Course" for trailering and for riderless horses/horseless riders. The horseless riders thread seems to be a more permanent arrangement type thread.

Would anyone use or be interested in starting a thread for available/looking for catch riders? I envision a thread where people can list what shows they will be at already and what heights/divisions they are eligible for/experience level and those with horses that need a ride can list what they need as well.

Maybe interested catch riders could also include links to video of themselves in the ring?

Just wondering if that would be at all useful, or no?

bjd2013
Nov. 10, 2011, 02:54 PM
I think it sounds like an interesting idea!

alittlegray
Nov. 10, 2011, 02:55 PM
I'd be up for it....

OveroHunter
Nov. 10, 2011, 03:03 PM
It's an interesting idea, but I don't know if I would trust someone who neither I nor my trainer has seen ride in person before. I don't think that even a video would be enough because I have a great video of myself showing over a 4' jumper course, but that was quite some years ago, but if I posted that I could really exaggerate my abilities.

nlk
Nov. 10, 2011, 03:19 PM
I think it is in interesting idea and as it goes people can recommend people they have used and liked. Also if you are posting say in KY people might also know of people in KY OR who they ride with and can contact the trainer.

Jumpthemoon16
Nov. 10, 2011, 03:26 PM
I'd be up for it :)

alittlegray
Nov. 10, 2011, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I would think there would have to be follow up with contacting said rider's trainer and go from there, but at least it gives you a "list" of sorts of folks who are going to be at the shows you may need a rider for.

bjd2013
Nov. 10, 2011, 05:24 PM
I'm always looking to catch ride! I go out to multiple barns in my area and ride horses and ponies for them, and this winter I am going to show some of them. My friend and I are kind of the catch ride kids of our local circuit :) Now at "AA" we have our own horses, were not Tori Colvin, but its always fun to ride other horses and show them, besides your own!

S A McKee
Nov. 10, 2011, 06:53 PM
Hmm.
Ok as long as the 'catch rider' doesn't expect to get paid.
Otherwise this thread will be an ad for 'shamateur' riders.
Just sayin...

poorworkingstudent
Nov. 10, 2011, 08:13 PM
Hmm.
Ok as long as the 'catch rider' doesn't expect to get paid.
Otherwise this thread will be an ad for 'shamateur' riders.
Just sayin...

I guess it would be whatever folks made of it, but I was thinking along the lines of real catchriders, not "shamateurs."

I've never been paid to pick up a ride, actually look at it as a fantastic opportunity and wouldn't even think of asking for money in return.