PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite over fences exercise?

Sellefrancais
Nov. 10, 2011, 09:16 AM
what is your favorite over fences exercise?

I personally LOVE when my coach sets a center fence that could bend either way to the second fence. she asks me to land either lead and how many strides to put in working on adding and leaving out strides as well as teaching my youngster to land the lead asking of him in the air rather than his/my dominant lead.

Hilltopfarmva
Nov. 10, 2011, 10:29 AM
The figure 8 exercise. for the babies x to x or x to vertical rides both directions. for older horses vertical to oxer. Really helps you to keep your canter on the turns. Has helped my jumper rounds a lot. Something so simple.

mustangsal85
Nov. 10, 2011, 10:33 AM
I like the 4 leaf clover exercise. Really good for working on balanced, tight rollbacks. Set up 4 jumps in a plus-sign shape, with the inside standards all bunched together. You can come in from any direction and start with any of the jumps, jump in, right hand roll back to the next, right hand rollback to the next, right hand rollback, etc you get the point. Really fun and the horses always seem to enjoy the mental stimulation.

We also have one set up in our indoor right now there it is 2 small verticals set on the center line longwise so that you jump them going towards the sides, and then 2 oxers set up on bending lines from either vertical. You jump a crossrail in, bend left (or right) to the oxer, rollback to the other vertical, bending to the next oxer. Hard to describe without a picture but it's a great exercise for balance, bending, and rollbacks.

Although recently I have not been able to participate in any of the fun as I Have been on a longe line for the past few weeks working on my seat and position and not balancing on my hands. I would rank that as a least favorite OF exercise. :) BUT.. it is helping!

Sellefrancais
Nov. 10, 2011, 01:43 PM
I like the 4 leaf clover exercise. Really good for working on balanced, tight rollbacks. Set up 4 jumps in a plus-sign shape, with the inside standards all bunched together. You can come in from any direction and start with any of the jumps, jump in, right hand roll back to the next, right hand rollback to the next, right hand rollback, etc you get the point. Really fun and the horses always seem to enjoy the mental stimulation.

We also have one set up in our indoor right now there it is 2 small verticals set on the center line longwise so that you jump them going towards the sides, and then 2 oxers set up on bending lines from either vertical. You jump a crossrail in, bend left (or right) to the oxer, rollback to the other vertical, bending to the next oxer. Hard to describe without a picture but it's a great exercise for balance, bending, and rollbacks.

Although recently I have not been able to participate in any of the fun as I Have been on a longe line for the past few weeks working on my seat and position and not balancing on my hands. I would rank that as a least favorite OF exercise. :) BUT.. it is helping!

Oh I absolutely love this exercise!!

bjd2013
Nov. 10, 2011, 02:58 PM
My favorite is setting up a square oxer in the middle of the ring, and just cantering back and forth over it in a figure eight fashion. It really helps out with your eye, if you count down to it. I.E when you are one stride out you say 1 then come back to it the opposite direction and when you are 2 strides out say 1, 2 with each stride, and come back around and repeat it this time using 3. You do that all the way up to 8. It really does help!

gallopinggal
Nov. 10, 2011, 03:02 PM
I love the gymnastic exercies where you have three to five jumps in a row and they are either bounces or single strides between the jumps. My trainer set up four jumps in a row. One was a bounce and the others had one stride. Boo ya. I loved that thing!:lol:Plus, it is super awesome for straightness and speed control.

Go Fish
Nov. 11, 2011, 12:53 AM
About 10 fences set in a zig-zag down the center line. They are set right next to each other: /\/\/\/\/\/\.

You ride big loops to the rail and go over each one...or you can canter a bigger loop and do every other one. It really helps with your rhythm and turns without using the corners.

acoustic
Nov. 11, 2011, 09:32 AM
I love the gymnastic exercies where you have three to five jumps in a row and they are either bounces or single strides between the jumps. My trainer set up four jumps in a row. One was a bounce and the others had one stride. Boo ya. I loved that thing!:lol:Plus, it is super awesome for straightness and speed control.

I love this one! We do a few jumping exercises but haven't gotten to some of the other ones mentioned. There is a 5 jump 1-2 stride/bounce type gymnastic in a row that my trainer loves to use and I love to jump so I'm going with this one for now. :D

Rhody Ram
Nov. 11, 2011, 09:34 AM
Currently it's a landing rail. They jump so freakin good when they know they have to collect after

Lord Helpus
Nov. 11, 2011, 11:21 AM
My favorite one for schooling the horse is a gymnastic of as many jumps as you have room (and standards) for -- 6-8 jumping efforts is good. Using verticals and square oxers randomly (so it can be jumped in both directions).

The purpose of this exercise is to change the spacing between each jump so the horse has to react differently inside. And, even the same spacing will ride differently when jumping from and oxer to a vertical than when coming back and the same 2 jumps are now vertical to oxer.

The hard part of this gymnastic is for the rider to do NOTHING. To get in the half seat, get the horse straight and then let the horse develop his own eye and learn how to deal with leaving the ground correctly depending where is body is in relationship to the jump.

At first, some of the efforts will be quite awkward (but, at first the distances should be kept fairly similar so that the horse learns the exercise without getting hurt). But the rider is not allowed to help the horse. Nor is the rider allowed to get in the horse's way by moving.

This is a tiring exercise and should only be ridden 3 - 4 times in a row. But when the horse learns it, if he is athletic at all, he will see a short distance coming up and he will automatically back himself up and jump off his hocks. Or, if the distance is a longer one, he will quietly leave longer without launching (because, if he launches, he will end up chesting the next element).

Start low (2') and raise the jumps when the horse is ready.

PS: I did not think of this exercise. It is one of Joe Fargis' favorites.

ktm2007
Nov. 11, 2011, 01:32 PM
About 10 fences set in a zig-zag down the center line. They are set right next to each other: /\/\/\/\/\/\.

You ride big loops to the rail and go over each one...or you can canter a bigger loop and do every other one. It really helps with your rhythm and turns without using the corners.

This looks interesting!

Fun Size
Nov. 11, 2011, 07:01 PM
Little bounces....and then jumps made out of interesting materials, like hedges or haybales. Or hay bale bounces.

Our trainer usually leaves things like that up over a course of several lessons, and with the bounces I fall off at some point pretty much every time! :D Girl who jumps ahead? Meet dirt! Then Max always stops and looks at me like I'm an idiot.

The most fun exercise we did of this year was a set of trot poles to an x, then 1 stride to an oxer, and then you could either go right or left to an oxer that was set 4 bending strides out. Really made you stay with your horse! I bet I could make it through my nemesis the bounce now without eating it on the first or second try.

karlymacrae
Nov. 11, 2011, 07:30 PM
grids with big wide oxers.

Tuesday's Child
Nov. 11, 2011, 08:13 PM
Lord Helpus - that sounds like a great exercise. Can you suggest actual striding for it, as I would like to try it this winter. In the indoor at my barn I could probably set 5 jumps down the long side, if that makes a difference! Thanks :)

Across Sicily
Nov. 12, 2011, 02:04 AM
Well, my trainer decided to set up her own version of the Circle of Death (see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9vi_-vuQzk) the other night and the results were really interesting. We worked on strides between the poles and how to get 4 strides (normal), 3 strides and 5 strides... really really interesting, especially once we incorporated a jump outside of the circle, then had to go back on the circle and do it in so many strides between poles. It was shockingly difficult, but I liked it!

My favorite exercises are gymnastics and grids, though. Hands down. So much fun!!! I love not having to find a distance and being able to concentrate more on my body position and what my horse is doing with himself. Plus, whenever we do gymnastics, the jumps go up... sometimes a lot... and jumping my guy big is SO MUCH FUN! :D

kmwines01
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:23 PM
Across Sicily: that is exactly the exercise I've been working on this week. Such a seemingly simple exercise that definitely makes you think about what you're doing. It's been great for the short strided horse that I'm riding and making me get her to stretch to keep the consistent striding.

Another one that I really enjoyed was two cavellitis and a small vertical set up in an "S" shape, with the vertical straight across the middle and the cavallettis set on the ends of the diagonal part of the "S". Canter in off the left lead, swap to the right over the first cavalletti, swap to the left over the vertical, canter out over the last cavalletti, swapping back to the right. Really great for thinking ahead and practicing getting leads over fences.

forestergirl99
Nov. 12, 2011, 10:15 PM
My favorite one for schooling the horse is a gymnastic of as many jumps as you have room (and standards) for -- 6-8 jumping efforts is good. Using verticals and square oxers randomly (so it can be jumped in both directions).

The purpose of this exercise is to change the spacing between each jump so the horse has to react differently inside. And, even the same spacing will ride differently when jumping from and oxer to a vertical than when coming back and the same 2 jumps are now vertical to oxer.

The hard part of this gymnastic is for the rider to do NOTHING. To get in the half seat, get the horse straight and then let the horse develop his own eye and learn how to deal with leaving the ground correctly depending where is body is in relationship to the jump.

At first, some of the efforts will be quite awkward (but, at first the distances should be kept fairly similar so that the horse learns the exercise without getting hurt). But the rider is not allowed to help the horse. Nor is the rider allowed to get in the horse's way by moving.

This is a tiring exercise and should only be ridden 3 - 4 times in a row. But when the horse learns it, if he is athletic at all, he will see a short distance coming up and he will automatically back himself up and jump off his hocks. Or, if the distance is a longer one, he will quietly leave longer without launching (because, if he launches, he will end up chesting the next element).

Start low (2') and raise the jumps when the horse is ready.

PS: I did not think of this exercise. It is one of Joe Fargis' favorites.

This sounds FANTASTIC!! My horse is naturally pretty unconfident and exercises like this help him so much. He's like "Hey!! I can do this!!". SO trying it.