PDA

View Full Version : Guidelines for pricing hunters?

flaxenmane
Nov. 10, 2011, 09:14 AM
Greetings from eventing land, where the colors are sometimes garrish and the showjumping rounds are not always too pretty.

I have been sent an eventer to compete and sell, and we think he might sell well in the hunter market. Trouble is, I have no clue how to price a hunter. I think he has done and cleaned up at some hunter shows in Aiken (need to find out how they were rated/what classes). He has a canter to die for, cute as a button with four high white socks and a white blaze, and jumps right from the base with good form and without changing his rhythm. Possible downside is his size, 15.1. But he would be super for a kid moving up from a pony and is plenty scopey.

I am taking him to a hunter/jumper person next week, but in case she knows a student who might be interested, I would like to have a ballpark figure in mind.

Any sales sites or guidelines you might recommend? Thanks in advance.

Rye
Nov. 10, 2011, 09:19 AM
What height is the little man doing? Is he a 3ft hunter? Or a jumper?

He's on the small side, but if he can do the strides (which isn't that hard at 3ft), he might make a nice childrens hunter.

Are his changes automatic?

Rel6
Nov. 10, 2011, 09:59 AM
What height is the little man doing? Is he a 3ft hunter? Or a jumper?

He's on the small side, but if he can do the strides (which isn't that hard at 3ft), he might make a nice childrens hunter.

Are his changes automatic?

This. I would say a small, cute, calm children's hunter would go for around 20k-40k. Where it that range he falls would depend on how easy he is. Is he ready to walk into the children's with a less than stellar kid on his back? Can he bring back a hack ribbon? Does he have a lead change?

If he's more of a hunter prospect than ready to walk into the hunter ring tomorrow, I would say probably more into the 10k-15k range. That price range is also applicable if he doesn't have the step for the 3ft.

flaxenmane
Nov. 10, 2011, 10:28 AM
Great questions.

Oldenburg x TB. I'm guessing more of a hunter type than a jumper type-- but could probably do both. He has super changes, has the striding. I'd say he's pretty close to popping into a 3' class now -- but then again I'm an eventer! I think the trainer I take him to next week would likely have a better idea. He certainly can jump 3'3 easily and has schooled higher.

Can you recommend the best sales Web sites? We have a specific one we go to for event horses but I don't know what the hunters tend to use.

Thanks again~

findeight
Nov. 10, 2011, 10:49 AM
Honestly, at this point? Since he is doing the 2'6" (which is not USEF/USHJA recognized) and is 15.1? Has he been measured
or is that a guesstimate? An inch one way or the other might be huge.

Ask 15k take anything 10k or over as he stands today. That might be optimistic depending on your area. Around here an average quality 2'6"er would top out there and we are a mid priced area.

If you could get him into the 3' Pre Greens (usually Pro ridden) and the 3' Child/Adult Hunters at a good rated AA show? And place in good company??? That could come close to doubling your price. People pay for proven results at what they want to do-right now he is a 2'6" horse and on the small side.

Best place to advertise is thru your area Hunter trainers-and they can also evaluate potential as a 3' horse thru experienced eyes. IMO it would be well worth paying for an evaluation and possibly let them market the horse.

Web sites can work to generate interest but it is very, very, very hard to get even a low 5 figure buyer to come any distance at all out of their way to look at a single horse marketed by somebody they, or their trainer, does not know from another discipline. 15.1, no rated record doing 2'6" and over 10k is not going to help off a web ad either, they will screen him out immediately.

joiedevie99
Nov. 10, 2011, 10:52 AM
A small pre-children's horse with potential for the children's, with an easy clean change- assuming he gets the striding easily and without looking rushed- I'd be thinking $15k.

alittlegray
Nov. 10, 2011, 12:58 PM
^this.

Sarah Rachel
Nov. 12, 2011, 06:13 PM
I'm in TN, and we go to Aiken and the Georgia areas for horses all the time. I'd price him at about 7k-14k now, and if you got him showing and up to the 3ft mark then anywhere from 15k-40k depending on his fancy factor.

HunterJumperLuv
Nov. 16, 2011, 07:46 PM
A long time ago I had a link to a thread that was the comical version of "Pricing". Anyone still have that?

Glorybee
Nov. 16, 2011, 08:11 PM
size is important. If he's fancy and small and scopey he may be a small Jr. hunter. which means more $$.

Lucassb
Nov. 16, 2011, 10:18 PM
Great questions.

Oldenburg x TB. I'm guessing more of a hunter type than a jumper type-- but could probably do both. He has super changes, has the striding. I'd say he's pretty close to popping into a 3' class now -- but then again I'm an eventer! I think the trainer I take him to next week would likely have a better idea. He certainly can jump 3'3 easily and has schooled higher.

Can you recommend the best sales Web sites? We have a specific one we go to for event horses but I don't know what the hunters tend to use.

Thanks again~

Hunter/Jumper Exchange and Dreamhorse are both sites with a lot of traffic. Should at least give you an idea of what is out there, both quality and pricing wise.

You definitely need to know what the results were of any showing this horse has done. Hunter people tend to really want proof that the horse can do the job it's being advertised for and will ask for the USEF record. I'd try to be as realistic as possible and try to aim for a division that the horse can already do well - as Findeight says, from a horseshow perspective you've got a 2'6" horse who may be able to move up to the 3' with some mileage, and that is a marketable animal, particularly if he's easy to ride and can take a joke.

You are correct that the horse's size is a negative. It's less of a negative if the horse can demonstrate that he can easily canter down lines set at 12' or 12'6" and still produce that nice soft jump and a quiet lead change. Bonus points if he is a good enough mover to win the hack in good company. (If you want examples of what is considered a good jump/good mover, you can easily google the recent indoors shows/National horseshow in KY and spend a bit of time watching the winning hunter trips to get an idea.)

A few other things to think about: Hunters are shown in dee ring snaffles for the most part, often with a standing martingale (optional) and bare legs. When schooling a lot of riders use a square or baby pad and possibly a half pad; they might also use conservatively colored polos or leather boots. Manes are pulled neatly and tails are generally left natural - not banged or pulled. When showing a hunter prospect for sale - my advice is to dress him like a hunter. No flash on the bridle, no bling on the browband etc.

Make it easy for the prospective purchaser to visualize this horse in the hunter ring!

snaffle635
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:37 PM
A long time ago I had a link to a thread that was the comical version of "Pricing". Anyone still have that?

One of my favorite threads of all time!!!!!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24380&highlight=subtract