PDA

View Full Version : Saddles for bigger shoulders and high withers

forestergirl99
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:36 PM
So I'm on the saddle hunt....again. Skinny mini has filled out and now doesn't fit his saddle anymore. :sigh:

He has medium tree width shoulders but big tall withers that make it hard to find a saddle that gives enough wither clearance and also doesn't put too much pressure on his shoulders. To make it even harder(YAY!!!!) he's built so that saddles with a forward flap tend to sit too forward on his shoulders even when the saddle is sitting in the natural place where it wants to sit(you know, where when you put the saddle on it naturally just "gets stuck"), but guess who needs a fairly forward flap? Yes, yes I do. :D

My chiro is selling her Stubben Artus and thinks it might fit him nicely, so I'm going to try it and see how that works. I'm also having a saddle fitter come out.

Here's the saddle the chiro thought might work, for reference: http://equestrianshop.com/shop/saddles/close-contact/ce-101711-a-stubben-artus-cs-close-contact-saddle-like-new.html

And here's a picture of el ponay. Terrible picture, but I figured I'd post it anyway. I can't find anything else. And his shoulders have filled out a bit more since this picture. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=28luno6&s=5

billiebob
Nov. 9, 2011, 11:30 PM
Your horse sounds a lot like mine fit wise and I ended up with a Stubben CS Extra. This (http://cwk.me/tms/store/demo-and-used-saddles/used-jump-saddles/seat-sizes-18-to-19/stubben-siegfried-cs-extra-19-32cm-fwd-flap/) is almost my exact saddle (mine is an 18, 31 cm) and here (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2968342870105464652HVsBMD) is a picture of me riding in it with flatwork length stirrups. Please excuse both our outfits, I usually clash spectacularly. :D

horseymichelle
Nov. 10, 2011, 12:34 PM
Both Stubbens and CWDs tend to work well for high withered, broad shouldered creatures, at least in my experience. Some Devoucoux's work great as well, depending on the paneling configuration, but the Biarritz model has tons of wither room.

LuvMyTB
Nov. 10, 2011, 02:59 PM
I've had good luck with Countys for this type of horse.

goodmorning
Nov. 10, 2011, 03:18 PM
I have a Tad Coffin A5 that I love :yes:

So, most would think these aren't for the high-withered type, and rest assured my beast has giant withers -- but he has big shoulders & just floats in this saddle. Adequate wither clearance, maybe a smidge too wide (Mattes pad fixes that), but by far the best option I've tried. I had a Dominus which fit well, and is a great inexpensive option. An Amerigo Vega fit fabulously, as did some custom Antares with gussets, but the *floating* in the TC made it choice #1.

I think mine appreciates the room in the shoulder, and wish I had considered this before addressing some of the issues that, based on his way of going, are not as significant as I thought they might be. I have a long femur and the saddle could have a slightly-more forward flap for me. If I was purchasing new I would have this addressed (though it I never notice the saddle - I feel very comfortable jumping my horse with a very hard, round jump). Getting jumped out of tack has drastically declined :cool:

myalter1
Nov. 10, 2011, 03:28 PM
My horse is built quite like that.. i went with a custom Antares...although the cost of the saddle was considerably more than my horse! :)

mimeismoney
Nov. 10, 2011, 03:45 PM
Ditto with my gelding. I have a 15 year old Beval Natural that fits him pretty well, but it's not fitting me anymore, it's a 16" and I think I've grown in the last 15 years. So I'm on the hunt too. A saddle fitter today suggested an Exselle Debut wool flocked in my price range, does anyone have any opinions on this saddle for this type of horse?

Ghostdance
Nov. 10, 2011, 04:09 PM
I was going to suggest the Exselle Debut (wool flocked of course!). I have the type of horse you have described and was in the market for a new saddle and was having difficulty. The Debut fit him beautifully, however, I did not find myself secure enough in it while jumping. My beast is not the most honest thing over fences. I found the flaps too short and not enough padding at the knee roll.

I really, really love the old Crosby XL's and have found one that fits and is in the under $1200 range. They tend to fit a wide variety of horse too. My trainer swears by them. They do not make them any more as the new company is Exselle.

I also found the Prestiges and the TC's fit really nice too. Both are more money then the Crosby's.

Bearhunter
Nov. 10, 2011, 06:02 PM
Mine is built similarly but bigger. Tried every saddle known to man. Owned two County saddles (hated them personally but fit him ok.) Had a custom Amerigo made for him which fits him great.

forestergirl99
Nov. 10, 2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks so much guys!! I really appreciate it!

forestergirl99
Nov. 10, 2011, 06:07 PM
I also found the Prestiges and the TC's fit really nice too. Both are more money then the Crosby's.

His current saddle is actually a Prestige. Cost as much as he did. xP Hahaha

JustMyStyle
Nov. 10, 2011, 09:06 PM
Some of the slightly older Crosby's have a cut back pommel like a saddle seat saddle, very helpful for high withered horses!

Sport
Nov. 11, 2011, 11:46 AM
My horse is built quite like that.. i went with a custom Antares...although the cost of the saddle was considerably more than my horse! :)

Same here. I just ordered mine though, so still waiting on the final product. However, we tried the Antares Spooner model and it fit Sport, but I found the custom one more comfortable. Figures. :no:

cswoodlandfairy
Nov. 11, 2011, 02:26 PM
So I'm on the saddle hunt....again. Skinny mini has filled out and now doesn't fit his saddle anymore. :sigh:

He has medium tree width shoulders but big tall withers that make it hard to find a saddle that gives enough wither clearance and also doesn't put too much pressure on his shoulders. To make it even harder(YAY!!!!) he's built so that saddles with a forward flap tend to sit too forward on his shoulders even when the saddle is sitting in the natural place where it wants to sit(you know, where when you put the saddle on it naturally just "gets stuck"), but guess who needs a fairly forward flap? Yes, yes I do. :D

My chiro is selling her Stubben Artus and thinks it might fit him nicely, so I'm going to try it and see how that works. I'm also having a saddle fitter come out.

Here's the saddle the chiro thought might work, for reference: http://equestrianshop.com/shop/saddles/close-contact/ce-101711-a-stubben-artus-cs-close-contact-saddle-like-new.html

And here's a picture of el ponay. Terrible picture, but I figured I'd post it anyway. I can't find anything else. And his shoulders have filled out a bit more since this picture. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=28luno6&s=5

I have a Stubben Artus and LOVE it! I have a very high withered TB but with a narrow tree. It fits him really well. However recently I just upgraded to a Stubben Roxane S which is a better suited saddle for high withered horses. Forrest loves it, and Im slowly learning to adjust. definitely has a more forward flap then the Artus.

spacytracy
Nov. 11, 2011, 04:14 PM
I am so with you. Same horse. Huge shoulder and a high wither. I think has he fills out it will hopefully be easier to fit him but for now its next to impossibly. Found a natural that worked ok, but I didn't like it for me. Not enough cushion.

forestergirl99
Nov. 11, 2011, 04:38 PM
I am so with you. Same horse. Huge shoulder and a high wither. I think has he fills out it will hopefully be easier to fit him but for now its next to impossibly. Found a natural that worked ok, but I didn't like it for me. Not enough cushion.

Ugh. It's so frustrating!! We need a support group. :lol:

shohanna
Nov. 11, 2011, 09:55 PM
I agree. After all my years with horses, I have little knowledge of saddles. I am beginning to wonder if my current saddle is bothering my OTTB. Her withers are really high but she is built like a QH. I currently use an older Crosby.