PDA

View Full Version : Does George Morris own his own horse?

CiegoStar
Nov. 9, 2011, 03:24 PM
Just wondering.

Sundaybo
Nov. 9, 2011, 03:27 PM
Yep, He owns a appaloosa i think

JBCool
Nov. 9, 2011, 03:41 PM
Yep, He owns a appaloosa i think

Really? The man really is perfect! :lol:

CupcakeTough
Nov. 9, 2011, 04:11 PM
No, you're wrong, it's Gypsy Vanner / Appaloosa warmblood cross.

yellowbritches
Nov. 9, 2011, 04:16 PM
I audited a clinic 6 weeks ago and he said then that the only horse he now owns is an appy he had used as a school horse. It was my impression that he thought it was a great horse, one of his favorites. I believe he said it is ancient. He told us all this because there was a fabulous little appy in the clinic that was just awesome that he loved.

CupcakeTough
Nov. 9, 2011, 04:28 PM
That's awesome actually! I've audited one of his clinics and intend to this year as well, I hadn't thought to ask. And to be honest, I just assumed he had a barn full of clients' fancy warmbloods to pop on. At the clinic I was at he spoke several times about how much he loved thoroughbreds and talked fondly about one he rode that was always getting him out of tught spots- it's hard to imagine George Morris making mistakes and needing his horse to bail him out!

I have to say, I think an appy would fit him. One of my first horses that I learned to ride on was an appy and I would describe him as a George Morris in a horse's body: No treats fed by hand- put it in my bucket, stop petting my face, put your heels down and sit up, do NOT jump ahead of me (I will deposit you on the ground), that is not how you ask for a change, stop fiddling with my mouth... and he was the best teacher ever.

Dewey
Nov. 9, 2011, 05:07 PM
I have to say, I think an appy would fit him. One of my first horses that I learned to ride on was an appy and I would describe him as a George Morris in a horse's body: No treats fed by hand- put it in my bucket, stop petting my face, put your heels down and sit up, do NOT jump ahead of me (I will deposit you on the ground), that is not how you ask for a change, stop fiddling with my mouth... and he was the best teacher ever.

Great post! :lol:

gg4918
Nov. 9, 2011, 05:18 PM
yep, its name is Exception and I took my first jump ever on him! Hot, safe, super broke, perfect appy.

MHM
Nov. 9, 2011, 05:30 PM
Does anyone know where GM's appy lives now?

shawneeAcres
Nov. 9, 2011, 05:44 PM

I have a couple of GREAT appies that I use in lessons and for students to show. One is a CUTE 15 hand mare, she is absolutely bombproof, I teach a five year old boy on her and he rides her everywhere! She jumps VERY nicely and swaps her leads, and a pretty cute mover, once you can get her out of "jog" mode! Have another appie gelding, he has done it all, hunters, eventing, dressage thru third level VERY successfully. You have to ride him RIGHT and if so there is little he cannot/wont do, but if you don't ride correctly he says "Huh?" and just does his own "thing". I knew George had an old one, and it makes me respect him all the more!!;)

CiegoStar
Nov. 9, 2011, 06:07 PM
yep, its name is Exception and I took my first jump ever on him! Hot, safe, super broke, perfect appy.

Exception :lol: PERFECT!

gg4918
Nov. 9, 2011, 06:55 PM
I believe Exception is currently in Washington State, possibly where Jeff Cook now works?

Punkie
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:12 PM
He does own an appy (Exception), which I've had the privilege of meeting! He lives at a wonderful retirement and lay-over facility in southern NC which I've stayed at several times while hauling back and forth between MA and FL. According to the farm's owner, GM calls a few times a year to check in and always wishes her a happy Easter. Pretty neat :)

MHM
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:41 PM
^ Punkie, thanks. Nice to know. :)

Troispony
Nov. 9, 2011, 08:03 PM
I love this. GM's only horse is an appaloosa! Who'da thunk? :lol:

GingerJumper
Nov. 9, 2011, 09:50 PM
That's awesome actually! I've audited one of his clinics and intend to this year as well, I hadn't thought to ask. And to be honest, I just assumed he had a barn full of clients' fancy warmbloods to pop on. At the clinic I was at he spoke several times about how much he loved thoroughbreds and talked fondly about one he rode that was always getting him out of tught spots- it's hard to imagine George Morris making mistakes and needing his horse to bail him out!

Haha, I had an appy like that. He was fabulous.

I love me some spotty ponies!

saitou_amaya
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:08 PM
Are there any pictures of his appy? I'm curious what it looks like! But I googled it and didn't find any pictures. :(

yellowbritches
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:11 PM

This pretty much sums up the appy in the clinic, which certainly explains GM's affection for him! That little horse was awesome.

My first horse was/is an appy (he's 25 now and living the life of lesiure in WV). So much fun the ride, but totally ran the show. Occasionally, he pretended to let me think I was in charge, but if I got cocky, I was reminded very quickly how things were. One of the last times I hacked him, he ran off with me and seriously threatened to unload me...at 21!!! Love that guy....still runs the show at his little retirement home. :yes:

Tha Ridge
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:50 PM
Are there any pictures of his appy? I'm curious what it looks like! But I googled it and didn't find any pictures. :(

I want pics too!

Sally Kennedy
Dec. 9, 2011, 06:18 PM
Yes Exception to the rule is at my farm Sally;s Ark in NC , I have had him 3yrs now he is happy appy and in with Nanu retired dressage from Riverdale . Mr Morris still calls twice a year to see how his boy is .

ToTheNines
Dec. 9, 2011, 07:16 PM
Appies Rock and GM knows it!!!! Smart and opinionated when they are right.... mine refused to change behind today until I quit twisting into his shoulder. Then he did them perfectly. Never gets frustrated with my mistakes, more like he rolls his eyes and sighs.

mvp
Dec. 9, 2011, 07:39 PM
What's that rhyme: "When he was good, he was very, very good, and when he was bad...."?

I think of Appys this way. You get either the best of what a tough, opinionated, self-preserving horse has to offer, or you get the hell-on-a-stick worst version of that.