PDA

View Full Version : Why no horse shows in the winter at the KHP?

tidy rabbit
Nov. 9, 2011, 09:12 AM
Anyone know why there are no winter shows a the KHP with the new indoor?

I keep checking their calendar hoping to see something come up. :(

Kinsella
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:37 AM
$$$. That indoor is EXPENSIVE to rent!

Rye
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:40 AM
1. My guess is that most of the peeps that show there normally in the summer are down in Florida for the winter, so there wouldn't be enough entrants.

2. Even if someone wanted to manage a show there, my guess is that the Florida circuits would buy them off to prevent loss of people going to FL.

Pony+ an inch
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:52 AM
$$$. That indoor is EXPENSIVE to rent!

This. Additionally, the entries were never in large numbers. The couple small A's and B shows they had last winter I thought were super (and affordable!!), and I loved the indoor, but from what I heard from my trainer, it was just too expensive to host a show there. Practically no profit was made.

khp vol
Nov. 9, 2011, 06:53 PM
If you're wondering, the Alltech Arena rents for $3500/day. As Kinsella said, it's EXPENSIVE to rent!:eek:

Lord Helpus
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:02 PM
Is the original "little" indoor ring still there?

khp vol
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:34 PM
Is the original "little" indoor ring still there?

Yes, it's still there; it's known as the "Covered" Arena. IOW, you stay dry but you stay cold. It has stuff like indoor polo and mounted games in the winter.

MHM
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:47 PM
Yes, it's still there; it's known as the "Covered" Arena. IOW, you stay dry but you stay cold.

Don't the sides come down on the covered arena? At least that would cut down on the wind chill factor.

And does the new indoor have heat/AC?

Kikki
Nov. 9, 2011, 08:03 PM
Its cold there in the winter!!! Even if you get to show in the indoor or covered, the shows would have a hard time being large enough to make money if they didn't use the outside rings, and of course then you are still freeeeeezing in the barns!

BeeHoney
Nov. 9, 2011, 09:55 PM
Its cold there in the winter!!! Even if you get to show in the indoor or covered, the shows would have a hard time being large enough to make money if they didn't use the outside rings, and of course then you are still freeeeeezing in the barns!

Mmmm...nope, the barns over by the new indoor are heated. No freezing going on there. The indoor is warm too. But I agree that it probably would be hard to make money with it.

Kikki
Nov. 10, 2011, 12:09 AM
Yes, those barns are but there isn't much stabling over there. Definitely if you were just going to limit the show size to those barns and the indoor it would be very cost prohibitive!

Carli
Nov. 10, 2011, 05:36 AM
Plus the new indoor is TINY. Not worth it if you want to hold a large indoor show IMHO.

copper1
Nov. 10, 2011, 06:34 AM
Tiny? I don't see that new indoor as tiny!

buschkn
Nov. 10, 2011, 08:23 AM
I wish they had them in the winter. I would definitely go. And I love the new indoor. It is a little on the small side but by no means tiny. They hold GPs in there, and I showed 1.30m in there last year and while the jumps come up faster than in the Walnut ring of course, it's still very doable. I would think the KHP should be willing to work with people who want to host shows there, as an arena rented for a lower price is still better than an arena not rented at all. JMHO. Obviously they would then have to heat it, and have staff for cleaning, dragging, etc etc, but I would LOVE to see us start to have some winter shows in KY.

Rhody Ram
Nov. 10, 2011, 08:32 AM
Plus the new indoor is TINY. Not worth it if you want to hold a large indoor show IMHO.

LOL It's 300 ft long. REAL TINY

Rye
Nov. 10, 2011, 09:22 AM
Well, so they want 3500 a day. Is that a realistic price for the winter months, if the place is booked solid, then I guess it is, but if its not, then they aren't being realistic.

khp vol
Nov. 10, 2011, 09:22 AM
Don't the sides come down on the covered arena? At least that would cut down on the wind chill factor.

And does the new indoor have heat/AC?

You're right; the sides are basically a series of rollup doors like a warehouse. The problem is that the entrances on either side of the stage are wide open to the weather and there's no way to close them off. The only thing that is heated is the Club Lounge on the 2nd floor at the opposite end of the arena from the stage.

Yes, the new arena is heated, as are the new barns next to it (Barns 22-24),

eventermomoh
Nov. 10, 2011, 09:25 AM
As an alternative, check out the Lakeside Arena shows in Frankfort.
http://www.lakesidearena.com/

Pony+ an inch
Nov. 10, 2011, 09:29 AM
I would think the KHP should be willing to work with people who want to host shows there, as an arena rented for a lower price is still better than an arena not rented at all. JMHO. Obviously they would then have to heat it, and have staff for cleaning, dragging, etc etc, but I would LOVE to see us start to have some winter shows in KY.

One would think this... I have no idea what goes on with the rent-a-ring at KHP, but I remember asking a trainer about the potential of that idea and was laughed at. But I'm with you, surely some money is better than no money? Or maybe it is cheaper to completely turn off the heat and keep that ring closed--that I'm not sure.

Apart from St. Louis and Lakeside (which can be a bit frenetic), are there any other indoor shows that go on in Zone 5?

buschkn
Nov. 10, 2011, 09:40 AM
One would think this... I have no idea what goes on with the rent-a-ring at KHP, but I remember asking a trainer about the potential of that idea and was laughed at. But I'm with you, surely some money is better than no money? Or maybe it is cheaper to completely turn off the heat and keep that ring closed--that I'm not sure.

Apart from St. Louis and Lakeside (which can be a bit frenetic), are there any other indoor shows that go on in Zone 5?

Frankie Stark runs some shows in Wilmington, OH. I have never been to them but you can check the Country Heir shows website for more info. It looks like there isn't anything until Feb and March, so for Dec and Jan looks like Lakeside and St Louis are our only options. Bummer. With the whole thing being heated, I would think a winter series at KHP could be a possibility, but maybe it's too close to St Louis, and everyone in Lexington heads to FL? IDK, just wishing it were different I guess...

MHM
Nov. 10, 2011, 09:46 AM
But I'm with you, surely some money is better than no money? Or maybe it is cheaper to completely turn off the heat and keep that ring closed--that I'm not sure.

One would think some money is always better than no money. But isn't the KHP owned by the state? Maybe that makes them less flexible on things like cutting a deal on the rental fees during the off season.

I've been to a few shows at Lakeside. I thought the people were very nice, and very accommodating in their efforts to put on good shows. Nice ring, good footing, good courses. :)

eventermomoh
Nov. 10, 2011, 09:54 AM
The Country Heir shows are all really nice. Roberts Arena (Wilmington, OH) was recently redone and is great. There is a show there this weekend and next, but buschkn is right, not again til Feb.

Pony+ an inch
Nov. 10, 2011, 10:23 AM
One would think some money is always better than no money. But isn't the KHP owned by the state? Maybe that makes them less flexible on things like cutting a deal on the rental fees during the off season.

I've been to a few shows at Lakeside. I thought the people were very nice, and very accommodating in their efforts to put on good shows. Nice ring, good footing, good courses. :)

You gots me curious so I researched a little into who owns/who manages KHP. You're right, the Commonwealth of KY owns it, and so people that work there are state employees. And they don't have a price listed for facility rental of the indoor. But you know, KY doesn't have the greatest finances. I wonder if there is a way to work out the finances and see if with a lower facility rental (including the heating and everything necessary), the state could still make money. And if that then looks possible, I wonder if it could be presented to some person more political/authoritative in the state. That of course means dealing with state bureaucracy, though, which then means massive headache. Oh who knows... Like another poster said, I just wish things were different.

And I didn't realize the Country Heir shows in OH were indoors--that's something for future reference. Frankie runs a good show!

khp vol
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:04 AM
Alltech Arena is being used in the winter, just not by horse shows. Last winter, among other events, there was a homebuilders/remodelers showcase, a truck pull, and a mixed martial arts event.

In 2010, Frankie Stark had two, I believe, winter shows at the Alltech Arena. Apparently they were not able to attract enough competitors to make it profitable.

MHM
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:09 AM
You gots me curious so I researched a little into who owns/who manages KHP. You're right, the Commonwealth of KY owns it, and so people that work there are state employees. And they don't have a price listed for facility rental of the indoor. But you know, KY doesn't have the greatest finances. I wonder if there is a way to work out the finances and see if with a lower facility rental (including the heating and everything necessary), the state could still make money. And if that then looks possible, I wonder if it could be presented to some person more political/authoritative in the state. That of course means dealing with state bureaucracy, though, which then means massive headache. Oh who knows... Like another poster said, I just wish things were different.

Yes, it would be much simpler for a private facility owner to recognize, "It's better to rent it for 5 days @ $2500/day than 0 days @ $3500/day!" No committees, no bureaucracy. :lol:

meganp
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:21 AM

There are still A shows at Ledges in IL twice a month December - April

www.showplaceproductions.com

tidy rabbit
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:23 AM
I've heard the footing was re-done at Roberts, but how is it? What is it? I've been thinking of driving over there to check it out but it's over an hour away.

I wish there were some shows at KY. Once you get used to riding on that footing of theirs, every place else just seems...well... not as good. :)

I didn't have any horses ready for the rated shows last winter, but now I do and by golly I'd go with a string of horses if there were some shows held there this winter.

nlk
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:28 AM
Can we just make a list of Zone 5 indoors! I can not organize them in my brain.

County Heir
Ledges (?)
Chagrin (?)

I saw a poster with St. Louis....is that Zone 5.

Does any one know off hand if the warm up ring has to be attached to the main facility? We have a venue up here in MI BUT the problem is the warm up ring...there is another barn with a ring and I wonder if that could count.....

carasmom
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:37 AM
My barn is taking 8 horses to Robert's tomorrow so I can check out the footing and give an update. I went last winter and there were no complaints. The warmup areas are a tad tight but they switched management a couple of years ago and they have made a lot of improvements.

tidy rabbit
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:38 AM
What about Eden Park in Sunbury Ohio (Columbus)? Do they do any combined training shows or anything? I remember there was a big blow out on coth in like 2004 or 2005 and the owner said she'd never host another H/J show there again. And so far as I know she hasn't. Too bad too because it was a nice close place.

ktm2007
Nov. 10, 2011, 12:00 PM
I wish there were some shows at KY. Once you get used to riding on that footing of theirs, every place else just seems...well... not as good. :)

This. I was there for the September Kentucky National right before Capital Challenge. The AO's went in the Alltech the first day, and then were switched to the covered the second day because the Derby ran over on time. I did three rounds with both my horses in the Alltech the first day and after those rounds neither one of them were huffing, or had broken a sweat! Both my horses were huffing for the two rounds in the covered the second day. Amazing. That footing is spectacular

findeight
Nov. 10, 2011, 12:31 PM
Why we lack in winter shows. Besides the fact we can be a bunch of wusses when it comes to driving the rig in very unpredicatable weather or reserving stalls weeks out with no refunds and no idea about the weather, can be 60f, can be 6f with ice and snow.

Eden Park does not come up on Google any more, last I heard they were doing team penning and stuff...have a friend in that area, he says it looked like it was locked up last time they drove by.

From what I have been told by a couple of show managers, that reported 3500 fee per day for the Alltech indoor, adjacent stalls and ring prep is way LOW. That might be for using it as a basketball arena or trade show, not a horse show.

The old Indoor/Covered might be less but even if it was substantially cheaper, those stalls are outdoor shedrows and there is no way to get horses in and out without opening huge overhead doors on the north side of the arena. It snows in Lexington and they get alot of ice. I was there last Dec and it was 18f/-5f with snow.

At any rate, the winter H/J shows there were not well supported the last 2 years...and not due to any conspiracy by the "Fl people". They lost a ton of money on them. Few went or even wanted to go, my barn included.

The winter/spring Wilmington series used to be alot bigger with some A rated but suffered from venue changes when Roberts shut down for several years, some early spring shows actually cancelled. Facility repoened maybe 2 years ago with some problems (no heat) I understand they have improved. Not rated anymore and, like the rest of the local type shows, anything over 3' is lacking, combined or cancelled.

Footing? Has been an issue at times, being addresssed from what I understand.

Next weekend is traditionally alot bigger with the points cut off coming up, OHJA Medal Finals, Hunter Classic and, if they still have it, a Mini Prix.

I used to enjoy it BUT the only warm up was the size of a postage stamp with horses going in and out of the show ring thru the middle of it-got...um...interesting sometimes, especially of somebody got dumped or run off with out the gate and that horse came flying into the middle of your warm up oxer with 3 strides to the wall on either side:eek:. No idea of that is still as it was.

I see that rated shows under Country Heir's banner are coming back to Roberts next spring. Lets hope they are successful. Might drive out there Saturday and take a look, haven't seen it in about 18 months.

khp vol
Nov. 10, 2011, 06:30 PM
Findeight, that $3500 is for the arena only. You're right- all that other stuff is extra.

slp
Nov. 10, 2011, 06:48 PM
What about Eden Park in Sunbury Ohio (Columbus)? Do they do any combined training shows or anything? I remember there was a big blow out on coth in like 2004 or 2005 and the owner said she'd never host another H/J show there again. And so far as I know she hasn't. Too bad too because it was a nice close place.

http://www.edenparkequestrian.com/index.aspx

The website hasn't been updated in years. Pat Boyle hosted the first shows there, then the owner of Eden Park tried to claim the show dates belonged to her...she lost in court, Pat never came back. Frankie had a couple of shows there, saw the light and left. Then the owner brought in some dressage shows, that lasted for about a year. Finally she got some reining competitions and they got out as fast as they could as well. See a trend here? There haven't been any types of horse shows there for years which is a shame because it was a nice facility, except for the postage stamp warm up ring.

buschkn
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:29 PM
Hmmm. I'm off this weekend. Maybe I will try to head to Robert's or Lakeside. Then again, I could sit on my tush, too. Would be good for the "kids" to get out. No heights listed for the Country Heir Jumper shows. Anyone know? Mini Prix? Schooling? etc? I can call but thought I'd bow to your wisdom.

I'd rather just go to KHP. Closer, and as TR said, you get so spoiled after showing there a while. Sadly, I completely understand how it wouldn't be worth it for anyone to host shows there. I think it would have to be a money losing endeavor for several years before it might establish itself as a realistic midwest winter destination like Ledges or St Louis in the winter.

carasmom
Nov. 11, 2011, 08:42 AM
Looks like a fairly good turnout for the first weekend of Country Heir. We went up to set up stalls last night and the barns around both arenas are full as well as 2 of the outer barns.

Ginger
Nov. 11, 2011, 10:28 AM
Even if they ran shows in the old covered arena at KHP, you'd have to bring your own water, because they shut it off in the barns after November so the pipes won't freeze. When the Snowbird folks say "bring everything," they mean everything. It's hard to keep water from freezing even in portable tanks when it's 18 degrees.

findeight
Nov. 11, 2011, 10:52 AM
No heights listed for the Country Heir Jumper shows. Anyone know? Mini Prix? Schooling? etc? I can call but thought I'd bow to your wisdom.

I dunno about being wise but, in the past, they have had decent number of Jumpers at around 3'/3'3", Mini Prix, IIRC about 3'9" of course they have the baby stuff too.

Hunters are heavy in the lower heights (Baby Green and Pre Green) and lighter each hole on the standard. But they do usually get a fair number of 3'ers and some 3'6"ers although they somtimes have combined Ch/AD and almost always combine the Jr/AO. Heights and striding have been honest and measured...most years anyway. They also have alot of X rail, Pole and SS level stuff and those are usually big.

I would not bring the average Greenie unless you have been there and judged your Greenie against the challenges of a notoriously spooky main ring-windows to the parking lot on one side, doors opening and closing along the solid ring fence, echos, shadows. Schooling can be a challenge as it is with any winter, indoor...and the boilers for the heat chug on and off in that tiny warm up.

But, it is kind of fun and they have great seating, food and bathrooms. Management tries very hard. It's a nice place to go watch.

2foals
Nov. 11, 2011, 09:33 PM
I agree that it would be really nice to have some indoor shows at the Alltech Arena over the winter! I attended a fall show there last year and it was a wonderful show but did not have a good turnout. It was nippy outside but very comfortable in the indoor, and those barns near the indoor are so convenient and warm! Perhaps it just needed a little more advertising/promotion? Maybe after a year or so word would get out and attendance would be great? Or, I don't know, maybe there just aren't enough people interested at this time of year...

In any case, I was talking with some folks at the show and apparently the Alltech Arena does not have a permanent footing installation...footing is installed for each show and removed afterwards. Unfortunately that must add quite a bit to the costs, and is probably another contributing reason there aren't more shows in there.

I'm disappointed--I live right down the road and when the arena was put in I thought for sure we'd have some great winter shows!

MHM
Nov. 11, 2011, 09:44 PM
In any case, I was talking with some folks at the show and apparently the Alltech Arena does not have a permanent footing installation...footing is installed for each show and removed afterwards. Unfortunately that must add quite a bit to the costs, and is probably another contributing reason there aren't more shows in there.

Really? I guess that would make sense if they use it for non-horse events. But wouldn't they just pile up the footing outside or something and put it back in when they need it? It doesn't seem like that process should be too expensive.

tidy rabbit
Nov. 11, 2011, 10:14 PM
buschkn, Roberts is totally not worth the long drive you would have to make. It's hardly any different than Lakeside. Slightly more warm up area but otherwise, pretty much the same.

khp vol
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:46 AM
I agree that it would be really nice to have some indoor shows at the Alltech Arena over the winter! I attended a fall show there last year and it was a wonderful show but did not have a good turnout. It was nippy outside but very comfortable in the indoor, and those barns near the indoor are so convenient and warm! Perhaps it just needed a little more advertising/promotion? Maybe after a year or so word would get out and attendance would be great? Or, I don't know, maybe there just aren't enough people interested at this time of year...

I'm disappointed--I live right down the road and when the arena was put in I thought for sure we'd have some great winter shows!

The base surface at the Alltech Arena is made for reining. For jumping and other disciplines, they put down an indoor version of the OttoSport surface that the outdoor rings at KHP have.

Lord Helpus
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:57 AM
As an alternative, check out the Lakeside Arena shows in Frankfort.
http://www.lakesidearena.com/

Oh man! That place is dangerous. With stalls that face the ring and the size of the ring (very narrow) it is incredibly hard to ride in there. But the really bad part is the warm up area. Unless they have totally renovated it from below ground on up, it was dangerous.

I have been to 5 - 6 shows there over the years and not one of them was a great learning experience for a young horse.

(And I can't imagine jumping higher than 2'6" there)

It only took me *that long* to realize that I needed to take a pass on that facility.

Lord Helpus
Nov. 12, 2011, 10:01 AM
Frankie Stark runs some shows in Wilmington, OH. I have never been to them but you can check the Country Heir shows website for more info. It looks like there isn't anything until Feb and March, so for Dec and Jan looks like Lakeside and St Louis are our only options. Bummer. With the whole thing being heated, I would think a winter series at KHP could be a possibility, but maybe it's too close to St Louis, and everyone in Lexington heads to FL? IDK, just wishing it were different I guess...

Unless it has grown a lot, the H/J community in Ky is not big enough to support horse shows. In the summer, people come from out of state to show at KHP. But in the winter, one indoor ring is like another and there is no reason for people to come to Lexington to show. They all have local circuits that are closer.

MHM
Nov. 12, 2011, 10:08 AM
Oh man! That place is dangerous. With stalls that face the ring and the size of the ring (very narrow) it is incredibly hard to ride in there. But the really bad part is the warm up area. Unless they have totally renovated it from below ground on up, it was dangerous.

I have been to 5 - 6 shows there over the years and not one of them was a great learning experience for a young horse.

It only took me *that long* to realize that I needed to take a pass on that facility.

I don't know when you were there. I was at a couple of shows there last year, and it seemed fine to me.

There are two indoors, so they set up one as the show ring and the other as the warm up ring.

The junior and amateur hunters had no problem jumping around at 3'6" when I was there.

Pony+ an inch
Nov. 12, 2011, 10:23 AM

To Lakeside's credit, the footing has improved since the first time I showed there four years ago. Then it was like that deep footing they use for reining, and although my trainer insisted my app QH mare could care less (and truly she has never cared about much in particular unless it's related to her bucket), I felt we were "stuck" every take-off on course. Now it's more normal. I've done as high as 3' in there, and the hardest part of the ring is having square corners on one end and round corners on another.

But truly, the worst part is lack of warm-up. They now try to give everyone "schooling periods" before each division, which is a great idea, but, 1) depending on who all is in attendance, there are a surprising number of people who don't know how to share a ring or call out what they're jumping. 2) it's still traumatizing for a young horse or a horse who isn't good with crowds 3) if there are a lot of people in your division, you can then wait for an eternity to go and at that point your horse has cooled down.

I don't have terrible issues doing Lakeside because it is cheap and convenient, even when they have A/B shows. But if I didn't have a reliable, made horse and/or the 3' divisions didn't fill (and they don't always), I would think again about attending.

2foals
Nov. 12, 2011, 11:16 AM
MHM, I think they do store the footing in a pile somewhere on site, but I think the installation is a little more complicated than just trucking the footing in and spreading it. I think they have to put mats down first, and then the footing has to be leveled and packed. I don't know what the depth is, but I think it is deeper than you'd guess, so it is probably a pretty decent volume of material that has to be moved in and moved out again at the end.

I loved showing on that footing, but it seemed very inefficient to me that it had to be reinstalled and then removed after every show.

Anyway, I do agree that in the truly bitter temps of Jan. and Feb., people are overall less motivated about showing. But I think it would be great if someone would put on a few shows there through Oct. and Nov. I do think that once word got out people would be willing to travel to come. How many stalls are available in the heated barns near the indoor?

findeight
Nov. 12, 2011, 11:34 AM
There ARE shows at the KHP in October and early November-like the new location for the NHS that just wrapped. May not be H/J shows but they are still shows.

The Alltech Arena is, I have heard, in a hardwood basketball floor that will be easily covered with a shielded flooring material for other events the balance of the season. It was designed as an all purpose arena and that was part of why the state partially supported it's construction.

Far as Lakeside and Roberts? Wilmington is smack between Columbus and Cincy, close to Dayton and occasionally gets folks from around Toledo and southern Michigan (when they are rated). The KHP is 150 miles further south for them, Lakeside would be even farther.

Lakeside is convenient for KY exhibitors. Neither Lakeside or Roberts is likely to draw from the other. Most of the people showing primarily at either of these locations are not interested in A or AA $how$.

TrakeGirl
Nov. 14, 2011, 10:45 AM
Hey - any updates as to the "new" footing at Roberts?

Our barn is going this coming weekend and I was curious. It was practically knee deep in the warm up areas last time I was there.

TIA!

carasmom
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:15 PM
Footing in the rings was fine, warmups were not deep, just ok. They did drag them on a regular basis. Be prepared if you are showing in the hunters or eq. They were still going at 11pm on Saturday night.

TrakeGirl
Nov. 14, 2011, 01:21 PM
Oh dear lord! I thought for sure we'd be done at 5pm (we were last Feb/March at the A rated shows)! :( :( :( And this past weekend was supposed to be "smaller" of the two weekends, right?!

findeight
Nov. 14, 2011, 02:26 PM
Footing looked OK but the base needs to be releveled. It's like a bowl, noticeably sloped up to the rail all the way around. Makes you go downhill into the diagonals and hard to stay straight and on center on the outside lines since you are sideways on the slope.

Can't remember if it was always like that or not.

PonyPuzzle
Nov. 14, 2011, 06:12 PM
11? Yikes! My barn is going this coming weekend as well. I would think there should be quite a crowd due to the OHJA Medal Finals, but I haven't been in awhile so I'm not sure if that is true, or how it compares to the first weekend.

And since there seems to be a fair amount of Ohioans here, could someone help me out on the format of the medal finals? Obviously there's a first round, then does everyone flat, or only a select few? And is there a second round and/or a test? Any info would be appreciated!

TrakeGirl
Nov. 14, 2011, 08:14 PM
175 horses last weekend, 200 expected this weekend.

PonyPuzzle
Nov. 15, 2011, 03:45 PM
Anyone know about the format of OHJA medal finals? See my post above!

tidy rabbit
Nov. 15, 2011, 04:03 PM
Footing looked OK but the base needs to be releveled. It's like a bowl, noticeably sloped up to the rail all the way around. Makes you go downhill into the diagonals and hard to stay straight and on center on the outside lines since you are sideways on the slope.

Can't remember if it was always like that or not.

I don't remember it being that way back in 05 and 06 the few times I showed there. Thanks for the info. Did you get a look at the ring where they run the jumpers?

findeight
Nov. 15, 2011, 04:14 PM
Anyone know about the format of OHJA medal finals? See my post above!

It's Maclay format. One jumping round and a flat for those with no major errors. They usually test the top 4.

Thing is it's a PITA and takes forever, everybody jumps their normal showing height-starting at 2'. You get 35-40 in there with 4 height changes, it takes awhile. I have not seen a second jumping round for anybody other then the riders selected to test, probably due to having to change the fence heights and it already being past 10pm.

Numbers wise they had 90 trips in the 2'6" Hunter and Eq section last weekend. Next weekend will be bigger. Also had a ton at 2' and below. 3' and 3'6" not so crowded.

PonyPuzzle
Nov. 15, 2011, 05:05 PM
Thank you, findeight!

carasmom
Nov. 15, 2011, 05:56 PM
Our barn took 5 jumpers and no one complained about the footing. Also trainer's kid did the X-rails eq. and I was in the jumper ring warming her up. Footing seemed fine. Didn't see the issue that Findeight was talking about in the jumper ring. Biggest issue in the jumper ring was some spooks caused by people outside of the arena and the opening and closing of doors.
One plus, they have installed heat in all but 2 of the outlying barns.
The new manager of the facility stopped by to talk on Saturday. (She used to be the coach at Wilmington College and we have a former college horse) and talked about all of the improvements they have budgeted for the facility. I thought all it all it was fine.

findeight
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:01 AM
Biggest issue in the jumper ring was some spooks caused by people outside of the arena and the opening and closing of doors.

Welcome to Wilmington...graveyard of good trips:lol:. Same thing happens in the Hunter ring when somebody slams a door on the other side of the solid, 4' high arena wall. The main bathroom doors are right there under the announcers windows on the long side away from the seats...usually right at a fence. Gets...interesting, although they did increase the arena wall height so they can't see.

But, from what I could tell, the Jumper ring was flat-did not care to sit thru 45 2' trips though.

I was disappointed to see they scraped the paint off the row of big windows on the far end of the Hunter ring opposite the in gate. The adjacent building right there hosts receptions and such in the evenings so there can be alot of traffic. Plus car doors closing, people walking around in the glare of the headlights and the odd horn or alarm.

If you find youself jumping a course after dark (highly likely at these shows) you will find your horse mesmerized by the lights, sounds and activity...it backs them off pretty good and those good ones that never stop? Stop sometimes. Sometimes quite spectacularly. Those windows were covered for a reason.

Anybody doing that Medal? Heads up heading away from the in gate towards those windows. Stick and spurs. Try to get in there the night before, even if it is late.

Reminds me that one year one of the managers put a holiday display in one corner by those windows. Hay bales and a scarecrow festooned by tiny orange and white lights. Mistake.

smay
Nov. 16, 2011, 12:48 PM
Wow, that is REALLY a shame about Eden Park. I've known for some time that the place had run off most of its horse-show clients in all English disciplines, but to see that the website has been abandoned and no information is available for ANY events just kills me. Such a nice place when it first opened. How can someone screw up that badly? That is a huge waste of a needed resource here in central Ohio.

carasmom
Nov. 16, 2011, 02:30 PM
Welcome to Wilmington...graveyard of good trips.
You have that right. My trainer's 7 yo was on her second trip OF and her great round was ruined by a man with a white cowboy hat who decided to take the hat off and wave it a bit when she was about 2 strides out from the jump! The pony jumped sideways and to her credit she cantered a circle and completed her round but dropped her in the standings and she had a good chance of winning that class. The pony is only 5 and this was her first show indoors so we weren't expecting great things but we were disappointed.

PonyPuzzle
Nov. 16, 2011, 10:06 PM
My trainer told me, (and I believe Frankie was who told him), that they are expecting the show to possibly run until 1 Saturday night. Yes, 1 am. Hopefully that is an exaggeration, because that would really be ridiculous for the medal riders.

findeight
Nov. 17, 2011, 04:48 PM
My trainer told me, (and I believe Frankie was who told him), that they are expecting the show to possibly run until 1 Saturday night. Yes, 1 am. Hopefully that is an exaggeration, because that would really be ridiculous for the medal riders.

It has run pretty close to that in it's heyday...maybe 96 to 2002 or so. And if Frankie said it might be 1am?
She knows how many are going to show all day and how long it's going to take to run them through...that thing used to not even start until 8pm. Do the math with when the rest of the show wraps, building the course, the course walk, number of trips, the height changes, moving the stuff out of the way for the flat (ring crew is good but nothing like a well manned AA crew) and the work off? Going to be a long night.

Better hope the regular classes wrap by 5 or so.

TrakeGirl
Nov. 29, 2011, 04:51 PM
Just in case this gets dug up next year - they started the show an hour earlier on Saturday (at 7am) because of the large number of horses and no one wanting to stay there until 1am. Did a great job getting everyone through and done on Saturday.

I want to say the course walk was around 5:30-6? The Medal wrapped up around 9:30. Nice course.

findeight
Nov. 30, 2011, 12:24 PM
Credit where credit is due, they must have done an AWESOME job. I saw how many they had in those classes during the day when I checked the results.

Credit to the ring crew, gatekeepers and everybody else including exhibitors at the gate, with trainer, ready to go in as the previous horse started for the out gate.

Good job all. It CAN be done.