PDA

View Full Version : Jumper Riders: What to wear in the cold?

lucyeq
Nov. 8, 2011, 09:33 PM
I'm heading to an AA tomorrow and am showing in Children's. What is appropriate to wear in the colder weather? I've been just wearing a neat polo, but now that it's chilly I'm not sure what's "in" to wear. Should I just stick with show coat and shirt? Or a sweater? Thanks in advance.

SSacky
Nov. 8, 2011, 09:36 PM
Can't go wrong with show coat and shirt, especially for AA

Alternative would be a nice Vneck Sweater over a polo.

Credosporthorses
Nov. 8, 2011, 09:49 PM
I agree with the coat suggestion. I think it looks classy and professional. In a lower level like the childrens you would be more then okay with a nicely fitted sweater or even a clean fitted black(my personal preference) zip-up jacket

HighJumper66
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:11 PM
I'd go with coat and shirt and wear a layer underneath. They make all kinds of warm, yet light, underwear these days. Have fun!

lucyeq
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll bring both and just see how I feel when we get there. Thanks again!

Rel6
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:27 PM
I wear a long sleeved polo with a layer of underamour underneath. I don't like the bulkiness of sweaters or jackets when I ride, especially for jumpers. Its a two minutes round, and I always get super hot once we start going.

bits619
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:58 PM
I love the look of a v-neck sweater with a polo or button down shirt underneath. Darker colors may look better than a light color, but that's what I prefer to ride in. Then again, if I was showing I would probably wimp out and wear a show jacket. ;-) good luck!

GingerJumper
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:32 AM
I like wearing a sweater over a button down shirt (hate the feel of longsleeved polos, so button downs are my go-to for sleeves!) or a show coat and show shirt. I don't like bringing out the coat and shirt except for money classes or (obviously) hunters and eq, but that's just me.

BeeHoney
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:05 AM
I like wearing a sweater over a button down shirt (hate the feel of longsleeved polos, so button downs are my go-to for sleeves!) or a show coat and show shirt. I don't like bringing out the coat and shirt except for money classes or (obviously) hunters and eq, but that's just me.

That's me, too. I have a couple of closer fitting/tailored looking wool sweaters that I wear. I wear a turtleneck underneath, I've worn button downs too, but they look lumpy/bunchy under sweaters for me.

cswoodlandfairy
Nov. 9, 2011, 11:58 AM
Not to change the course of the tread to terrible but I also have a Jumper show coming up. It’s unaffiliated with anything, i.e. VHSA, etc. So I guess it’s more or less a schooling type show. I plan on wearing my show shirt and coat for the money class, but for the other classes (2'6 and 3ft) I was originally planning on wearing a turtle neck with a black vest...is that inappropriate?

lucyeq
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:55 PM
Not to change the course of the tread to terrible but I also have a Jumper show coming up. It’s unaffiliated with anything, i.e. VHSA, etc. So I guess it’s more or less a schooling type show. I plan on wearing my show shirt and coat for the money class, but for the other classes (2'6 and 3ft) I was originally planning on wearing a turtle neck with a black vest...is that inappropriate?

I think that's completely appropriate!

TheJenners
Nov. 9, 2011, 08:09 PM
Anyone have any pictures of them wearing these sweaters/sweater vests? I cannot pictures it at ALL...

bits619
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:40 PM
Blast, i was wearing that combo today, Shoulda taken a picture.
Red vneck sweater over a white Oxford shirt, with black breeches. Love the layers and button down shirts always look respectable.

huntereq1991
Nov. 10, 2011, 12:01 AM
Sorry if this is a dumb question but.....

During the summer, I always wear a polo shirt, tucked into my breeches (side zip) with a belt. During the winter, I am almost always in a long sleeve polo/oxford shirt with v-neck sweater. Only problem is- you can't wear a belt with this combo as it would just be way too bulky to tuck in the sweater. Does this bother anyone else? I guess I just feel naked without the belt?

Also, any other cold weather ideas that are tidy and neat?? (I ride hunters/eq and like to look nice for lessons) I also occasionally do a black down vest over a long sleeve fitted t-shirt. I also saw a sweater vest over an oxford recently and really liked that look. Please, keep the suggestions coming! And pictures would be wonderful :)

Kikki
Nov. 10, 2011, 12:08 AM
Tuck in the shirt, put on a belt, sweater over. Always wear a belt.

bjd2013
Nov. 10, 2011, 12:10 AM
Well for schooling what about a long sleeve shirt and a puffy coat or fleece? That way you keep the level of bulk down! And huntereq what about not tucking the sweater? Thats what I do, and other people do, and we still were the belts.

huntereq1991
Nov. 10, 2011, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

I guess my problem is that if I put on the polo, then a belt, and a sweater over- the bottom of the sweater would be sitting right on top of my belt and there would be a big bump all the way around my waist. Maybe this is because I am very short waisted? If it helps, the breeches are either TS or Ariat Pro Circuits or Olympia. These are all "low rise" breeches, but fit more like a mid rise on me. (I am also built straight up and down; no real hips to speak of) I definitely think you should always wear a belt! I just wish it didn't look so bulky on me. Maybe I am doing something wrong.....

NotAtTheBarn
Nov. 10, 2011, 12:35 AM
When I do the sweater over the polo look I wear high rise Ariat Pro Circuits so that there is no need for a belt, and the look is a little neater.

forestergirl99
Nov. 10, 2011, 01:40 AM
Anyone have any pictures of them wearing these sweaters/sweater vests? I cannot pictures it at ALL...

Obviously not me but.. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=azcfbr&s=5. Though normally you'd have your collared down. Not popped. No popping collars. Lol

PNWjumper
Nov. 10, 2011, 03:52 AM
This is my favorite sweater vest (for TheJenners):

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2117361730094686761EeTtsu

And there are lots of sweater photos in that album. Probably more than coat photos :)

I only wear a belt if it's a thicker sweater.

Herbie19
Nov. 22, 2011, 04:27 PM
I always wear a show coat and shirt in jumper classes unless it's 100 degrees out--then I wear a polo. Classics (obviously) are formal attire no matter what :)