PDA

View Full Version : How long for capped elbow/shoe boil swelling to go down?

equidae
Nov. 8, 2011, 08:18 PM
Or is it possibly permanent?

It's been about a week and a half since the initial swelling was notice. Vet was out on Friday, horse got initial dose of IM Lasix and gentamycin injected to the pockets after they were drained. Just finished his antibiotics and corticosteroid/diuretic. He's been getting Surpass to the site twice a day for 4-5 days and been on stall rest.

Site is 50% smaller but still not 100%. The elbow is more squishy now, rather than firm as it was on Friday and Saturday. Edema is no longer pitting. I put one last dose of Surpass on it tonight and walked him slowly letting him meanderfor 20 mins today and them let him graze for a while on the lead. He was never lame at all throughout the whole ordeal.

Is a capped elbow/shoe boil something that takes a while to 'reabsorb' and will diminish over time? Or could this be a permanent blemish? (a fat elbow!). Does not seem to affect him physically.

What are your experiences? TIA.

coymackerel
Nov. 8, 2011, 09:28 PM
It will reabsorb - the squishiness is the first stage and then it slowly diminishes. I would say the one my horse had took about 6-8 weeks to go away although it did leave a bit of loose skin behind. These can come from lying on hard ground i.e. stall not bedded deeply enough or trouble with the hind end so it helps if you can figure out what caused it.