PDA

View Full Version : BREECHES: front zip or side zip?

FITS
Nov. 8, 2011, 01:13 PM
Two questions for all you hunter/jumper riders out there...

1. Do you prefer front or side zip breeches?
2. Why?

Looking forward to hearing from all you COTHers out there!

xxreddxheaddxx
Nov. 8, 2011, 01:15 PM
For jumpers- Front zip, I like the look, and they are more "edgy" and in style.
For Equitation and Hunters- Side zip, it is more flattering on the horse and looks better under a coat.

BAC
Nov. 8, 2011, 01:22 PM
I have both, I have a slight preference for side zip, as I think they are more flattering on my particular shape but both are correct although side zip has been the more traditional in the hunter/eq divisions. That is changing though and you are seeing more and more people wearing front zip in the hunters too. Wear whatever you like best, not what the rest of us like.

PonyLady29
Nov. 8, 2011, 01:30 PM
I prefer the side zip. They seem to fit me better. I no longer buy front zip they just aren't flattering on my (slightly rounder) body shape!

Xbittersweet
Nov. 8, 2011, 01:31 PM
Front Zip. They are just all around easier and I think they are more comfy. No riding pants are every going to be flattering unless you are a stick

bjd2013
Nov. 8, 2011, 01:38 PM
I think it depends on what looks better on you. I think either look fine for Hunters. Its all in preference. Personally, I think the Front Zip Euroseat looks best on me, especially the Pikeur Ciara ones.

BeeHoney
Nov. 8, 2011, 02:12 PM
I much prefer front zips. Yes, I recognize that for hunters the side zip is sort of the preferred look, but I find that front zips usually have a much more "athletic" fit. For the jumpers, no question I prefer front zips. And you didn't ask, but euroseat styling is very nice.

Some side zips feel like uncomfortable dress pants. Oh, and I find that side zips are much more likely to have the fastener at the top of the zipper dig into your waist over the hip. Oh, and side zip pants, sometimes even expensive ones, can end up feeling or looking a little asymmetric. I hate having a little bunchy spot over one hip.

Now if I could just find some nice winter h/j style breeches. Why are all decent winter breeches black full seats?

Go Fish
Nov. 8, 2011, 02:19 PM
I think side zips look better when wearing a coat. A cleaner, less bulky appearance. And, if you have a little "poof" in the abdomen area, the side zip is more flattering.

If you are planning on wearing a shad at any time, I'd definately go for the side zips.

I will say it's easier to go pee with the front zips. At my age, that's very important. :lol:

pattnic
Nov. 8, 2011, 02:29 PM
I have and wear both, but generally prefer side zips. I think they look better on my body shape, give a cleaner line in the saddle, and given my penchant for big blingy belts, I find that the belt buckle is less likely to uncomfortably dig into me.

Oh, and front zips usually have pockets made in such a fashion that they are unflattering to my shape. That's actually the reason I originally switched over to side zips.

But go with what fits you best and in what you are most comfortable. Because really, as much as I like to think that my way is the only right way, when it comes to you riding your horse, I'm not the one feeling any discomfort from less-than-ideally-fitted apparel.

vxf111
Nov. 8, 2011, 02:42 PM
I think the side zip looks better on me, so I prefer those. I don't have a general preference though, I'd wear front zip if they were flattering.

TrakeGirl
Nov. 8, 2011, 02:45 PM
Side zips – more flattering and comfortable. I too like the big blingy belts and much easier to wear the buckle to the side rather than it impale me over fences in the front. Just as easy to pee in side zips as front zips if your belt is also to the side.

Now – here is what I really want in a show breech. Side zip. Euro seat. WITH the curved side knee seam that comes in over the top of your knee (think TS royal or ariat pro circuit) vs. the seam that goes straight down the leg. Alas – this must be a feat in seamtressing because such a beast does not exist. :(

I am saying this JUST in case your user name (FITS) means you work for that company.

Rel6
Nov. 8, 2011, 02:58 PM
I have both, and they both have good and bad.

Side zip can dig into someone with a bony hipbone (like me!) Front zip pinches when you bend over if you don't have a shirt tucked in.

WBmare
Nov. 8, 2011, 03:09 PM
I like the look of the side zips and have all side zip breeches But I don't hate front zips. I have started seeing more front zip breeches I did see one that I really like.

Trevelyan96
Nov. 8, 2011, 03:11 PM
I'm short waisted and curvy, and I definitely prefer side zips. They look better on me and are also more comfortable without having a front clasp digging into me.

pattnic
Nov. 8, 2011, 03:41 PM
Now – here is what I really want in a show breech. Side zip. Euro seat. WITH the curved side knee seam that comes in over the top of your knee (think TS royal or ariat pro circuit) vs. the seam that goes straight down the leg.

Yes, this exactly. But can we also add some variation of Ariat's calf fit system or English Riding Supply's comfort sock calf? I hate the velcro on TS!

indygirl2560
Nov. 8, 2011, 03:45 PM
Side zip! I find it much more comfortable and flattering than front zip.

KristiKGC
Nov. 8, 2011, 03:52 PM
I have both, and they both have good and bad.

Side zip can dig into someone with a bony hipbone (like me!) Front zip pinches when you bend over if you don't have a shirt tucked in.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who had the problem of side zips digging into my hipbone!

Granted, not all do, and most of my nice show breeches don't dig in and I prefer the look of the side zips in the show ring so those are what I wear.

However, I hate my side zip schooling breeches. They become painful after a day of riding and teaching. Might be different if I was just riding one horse, but I need something that remains comfortable all day.

TrakeGirl
Nov. 8, 2011, 04:19 PM
Yes, this exactly. But can we also add some variation of Ariat's calf fit system or English Riding Supply's comfort sock calf? I hate the velcro on TS!

YES!! Are you listening breeches makers???

Side zip.
Euro seat.
Curved seam.
Comfy calf.

First one to produce it gets my $!

supershorty628
Nov. 8, 2011, 05:22 PM
I prefer side zip. I think they look better and I find they are more comfortable.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't hate the velcro on TS breeches?

ohrebecca
Nov. 8, 2011, 05:26 PM
I've never owned any side-zip breeches :-( Am I a freak of nature??

KateKat
Nov. 8, 2011, 05:34 PM
Side zip too. Also a curvy girl. They're cut just slightly roomier for some reason, I've found that to be true across most brands.

I don't shun front zips though, I've just tended towards side zips lately!

Ditto the side zip, side seam euro seats though. That's the dream breech! Maybe that custom breech maker whose name i can't remember can whip up some pairs?

Cookie4Pookie
Nov. 8, 2011, 05:44 PM
I find the side zips are more flattering.:)

showidaho
Nov. 8, 2011, 05:47 PM
At present I'm digging the front zip trend. :)

hequestrian
Nov. 8, 2011, 06:18 PM
I have both but much prefer the side zips. I think that they tend to be more flattering and for the hunters definitely look great under a coat I think. When I showed the Jumpers this summer I did wear my front zips and thought they looked much better with my polo as opposed to with my hunt coat etc.

Troispony
Nov. 8, 2011, 06:27 PM
Now – here is what I really want in a show breech. Side zip. Euro seat. WITH the curved side knee seam that comes in over the top of your knee (think TS royal or ariat pro circuit) vs. the seam that goes straight down the leg. Alas – this must be a feat in seamtressing because such a beast does not exist. :(

This is all I want as well! Imagine my disappointment when I put on my new Trophy Hunters only realize they are the first pair of TS I have bought that do not have the leg seam. Major bummer.

Oh and to answer your question-side zip. They don't fit as well standing up, but for shows they look a million times better on the horse. That, and I never have to worry about making sure my fly is zipped before entering the ring... as if I needed any more to worry about!

huntereq1991
Nov. 8, 2011, 06:42 PM

Side zip.
Euro seat.
Curved seam.
Comfy calf.

First one to produce it gets my $!

Yes! :yes:

The closest I have found are these two options-

Ariat Olympia side zip, plain front, with the euro seat. The fabric is wonderful, rise is just right, and they have the comfy calf. Only problem- the seam doesn't come all the way over the knee like the Pro Circuits. (I have both and just held them up to each other)

Romfh Wellington (http://www.123tack.com/romfh-wellington-side-zip-euro-seat-breeches.html) side zip, euro seat. I haven't tried these, or any other Romfh breeches before. I am really hoping they are a less expensive alternative! I am not sure what kind of closure they have at the bottom of the calf. Any one ever seen these in person??

And to answer the question- I prefer side zip. I think it looks smoother across the front, and they just fit better overall. Now to just find that perfect pair.....

theinstigator
Nov. 8, 2011, 07:01 PM
Side zips – more flattering and comfortable. I too like the big blingy belts and much easier to wear the buckle to the side rather than it impale me over fences in the front. Just as easy to pee in side zips as front zips if your belt is also to the side.

I am saying this JUST in case your user name (FITS) means you work for that company.Judging from all the OP's other posts...you're golden :winkgrin:

Forgot to add...I'm a side-zip girl.

danceronice
Nov. 8, 2011, 07:43 PM
Side zip is my preference (for work pants, too) but ironically I've never had a pair of breeches that are. My boot-cut schooling pair are front zips, all my old show breeches were, too.

wanderlust
Nov. 8, 2011, 07:53 PM

Side zip.
Euro seat.
Curved seam.
Comfy calf.

First one to produce it gets my $! Yes!!!! I don't know what it is about that curved seam that comes over the knee, but it is so much more flattering to the leg.

maneevent
Nov. 8, 2011, 07:55 PM
Side zip. Comfy, more flattering, belt buckle on the side. Love them. I don't think I'll ever go back to front zips.

Pony+ an inch
Nov. 8, 2011, 08:15 PM
Ok, I have always been a side-zip gal ever since I got my first pair of nice ie mother-would-kill-me-twice-over-if-anything-happened-to-them breeches. The Ariat low-rise pro-circuit are almost my ideal breech--they are side-zip, the calf fit is perfect, the seam is perfect, material is breathable, and it has room for those of us that are clearly a size 8 rear and not exactly dainty thighs. I will also say that I am a very leggy yet very short waisted person, so low rise actually hits me right on my waist.

BUT. but but but. About eight years later this past summer, I was in Austria for an opera program, found a tack store, tried on a pair of Pikeur breeches, and I almost died happy (and then bought them LOL). I really like the front zip of those. They are low rise, but they shape the waist line beautifully so that the rise is higher and back and doesn't leave any possibility for shirts coming untucked. And the elastic of the waistband is forgiving and doesn't pinch and lets the front zip look really good and athletic, despite the fact I am so not in prime shape right now. Front zips can work, but I do believe now a lot of it is in the waistband after these pikeur breeches. AND the full seat--what the heck have I been missing out on all this time?! It's so nice and grippy! I can sit and stay in my saddle, even on the horse who canters like a washing machine! In the rain! My one qualm is the way the seams are--they are straight, and admittedly the seams over the knee is a lot more flattering on all leg types. And my other qualm is the price in the US--they are significantly better priced in Europe than they are in the US.

And Emily/supershorty-- my issue with the velcro on the TS's is that in my experience, if you wear them all day, it can really leave some lasting marks/indents on your skin when you go to peel them off finally. And it hurts! But who knows; my tall boots might just be too tight. I love love love my TS's in colors, though... Exciting colors can be a huge selling point for me and clothing, equestrian or otherwise.

FITS
Nov. 8, 2011, 08:20 PM
We are indeed the makers of FITS breeches and we asked this question of COTHers for a reason. We wanted to know your preferences. We really do listen to you. Thank you all for responding. We look forward to following this thread some more and seeing how additional people weigh in.

AppendixQHLover
Nov. 8, 2011, 09:13 PM
I prefer side zip breeches over front zip. The front zip just never sit right on me.

The only part about side zips is when I have to go to the bathroom.

Give and Take
Nov. 8, 2011, 09:18 PM
have both but prefer side zips. not a fan of the low rise or the tight breech. comfort is my main priority.

jen-s
Nov. 8, 2011, 09:34 PM
I prefer the look of side zips but almost always go UP a size in side zips vs. front zips. I attribute that to my "childbearing hips" and the occasional pulling/asymmetry thing.

I agree with TrakeGirl's list, except that I don't want Euroseat. For those of us with fluffier rumps, I've seen a couple of Euroseat breeches that OMG, WERE HIDEOUS! That seam made everything above and below it bubble out around the seam. Never, ever, ever will I buy a pair of Euroseats on the off chance that my ass looks like that. With my luck, I'd never notice it until those professional pics got taken. ;)

FITS--Love your breeches, but would LOVE it if you'd make something in a length more like TS. I find your breeches to be miles too long and I hate rolling the leg, so I end up having them hemmed. But there's nothing like the stick of your baboon butts--Love, Love, LOVE them!

pinwheel
Nov. 8, 2011, 09:49 PM
I much prefer front zip. (I ride in the equitation and the junior jumpers.)

Denzel
Nov. 8, 2011, 09:53 PM
Side zip alllllll the way! I hate the way front zip looks on me, and find they tend to pucker funny at the crotch. My favorite breeches are the Tailored Trophy Hunters, Grand Prix Hamptons and FITS Laura/Beka breeches, all because they are side zip, have a wide waistband, and are the perfect rise!

Oh, and I do mostly the hunters with a few medal classes here and there, as well as dabble in dressage (hunters still need good flatwork!)

lucyeq
Nov. 8, 2011, 09:56 PM
Front zips for jumpers, side zips for hunters and equitation.

Front zips are much more comfortable for me, but side zips are more flattering.

Pony Soprano
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:00 PM
No contest...side zip is by far my favorite. I sometimes wonder why all pants are not made side zip ;)

Calvincrowe
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:05 PM
Side Zip. Much more flattering. I currently am in love with the FITS Beka Breech--LOVE the fit, don't love the slick fabric, but I'm living with it quite happily as they actually look...kind of nice on my big behind;)

I hate "Euro Seats" and velcro bottom closures on breeches. I find the TS too tight at the knee. I prefer a cotton fabric that is not slick, but realize the slicker/heavier fabric holds and hides all those "adult" bulges better.

huntr_eq_blonde
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:07 PM
I've never owned any side-zip breeches :-( Am I a freak of nature??

You're not alone. :winkgrin: I've never owned a pair of side-zip breeches, either!

While side-zips might look a little more streamlined, I just find it really wierd to have pants that zip on the side because normal pants/jeans/slacks almost always zip in the front. I don't see what the big deal is about wearing front-zips for hunters. You can't see it underneath the jacket anyways.

I do wish someone would make a front-zip breech that's not so high-waisted, like a medium-rise, so I don't look like a 12 year old from behind. I've tried on low-rise breeches, but my Kardashian derriere and little boy waist make me in danger of indecent exposure due to the low, gapping waistband. :o

eventer12
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:22 PM
I have wide hips, but I am about 5' 10 and 130 lbs. Side zips fit my body type horribly. I have to go up a size to get them to fit my hips, but they are saggy in the thigh and bottom area. The absolute BEST breeches I have ever owned are Ariat Cavalry breeches, which are no longer in production. If FITS could make a front zip that fits like these I would buy at least 5 pair!

http://www.tackroominc.com/ariat-cavalry-breech-p-6779.html

Celeritas
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:24 PM
Side zip, hands down. I am also petite and curvy. I also want a side-zip euro seat schooling breech that comes in fun colors that aren't as expensive as the Trophy Hunters, and come in a fabric that isn't 98% cotton. I LOVE my Grand Prix breeches, and wish the Vegas model came in a side-zip; their fabric seems to last better than the other crappy cottony choices out there. Oh, oh, and I was DENIM too, without paying $200 for them! Sorry, but I'm NOT paying 200 bucks for schooling breeches.

As for the velcro debate, I also have issues with my TS velcro, but it's because I am short and my breeches go down to the bottom of my ankles, and I have skinny ankles, so the velcro overlaps, which then creates a bulge under my sock. I have a pair of the Equine Couture Baker breeches (front zip, but I got them on clearance and couldn't resist), and while I like the elastic-y calf, those are also too long. Also, they're not very breathable so they make my legs sweat a lot. Ariat still has the best stretchy calf out there.

I have tried the FITS Beka breeches on as I liked the price point and styling, but they were miles too long for me (I'm 5'4" and wear a 28/30), so there went that option...

TrotTrotPumpkn
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:46 PM
My calves are big and the velcro on my tailored sportsmans drives me nuts because it barely touches, so I end up with velcro indents from the tiny teeth.

Honestly, I've never worn front zips, so I don't have an opinion on them.

chizzle
Nov. 8, 2011, 11:58 PM
There are some body types/shapes where the side zip just isn't flattering; there are front zip which aren't as flattering as the side zip and there are those individuals who can strut around in either look amazing...go with what is comfortable and fits you the best. But please, no coin slots okay.

catosis
Nov. 9, 2011, 12:04 AM
So, FITS, since youlisten to your customers, when are we going to see a pair of saucy RED breeches from you? Earth tones are nice... But it is fun to mix it up every once in a while!

TiaRosa
Nov. 9, 2011, 01:08 AM
Hi, FITS! Wow, thanks for asking...I'm impressed by your desire to find out what we want. Very nice.

I ride hunters, and don't care where the zipper is.

I happen to love your Beka breeches. They are comfortable, fit well, are flattering, and are priced very well. They have but one flaw: the fabric.

I am sorry to say the fabric of the 2 pairs of Beka breeches I own is 'peaching' a bit from the friction of riding after only 2-3 rides each. Yeah, in the crotch. No Bueno. They are also very tough to get clean as rubbing stain-remover into a spot before washing tends to make a "peached" or very slightly fuzzy spot.

I need breeches with a fabric that "works for a living" i.e., machine wash & dry, no picking up food/oil/saddle dye stains.

Again, thanks so much for caring enough to ask what we want!

A big fan,
TiaRosa

TheJenners
Nov. 9, 2011, 01:30 AM
I don't like how the front zips pooch out :no:.

AffirmedHope
Nov. 9, 2011, 01:41 AM
You're not alone. :winkgrin: I've never owned a pair of side-zip breeches, either!

While side-zips might look a little more streamlined, I just find it really wierd to have pants that zip on the side because normal pants/jeans/slacks almost always zip in the front. I don't see what the big deal is about wearing front-zips for hunters. You can't see it underneath the jacket anyways.

I do wish someone would make a front-zip breech that's not so high-waisted, like a medium-rise, so I don't look like a 12 year old from behind. I've tried on low-rise breeches, but my Kardashian derriere and little boy waist make me in danger of indecent exposure due to the low, gapping waistband. :o

Try the Ariat Heritages :) They aren't really low rise but not granny panty high rise either.

Dewey
Nov. 9, 2011, 05:49 AM

To me, the essential question isn't "front zip or side zip?" (I've worn both and don't have a preference) but "low rise or mid-rise?"

I ride with a bunch of teens, and I understand that low-rise is "in." But maybe a lot of these girls don't realize that the tails of their coats often flop up when they are riding in two-point or jumping, and the low-rise breeches just look plain bad when that happens. Sometimes the shirt even comes untucked. IMO, the belt, waistband, or shirttail should never show when one is wearing a jacket. I know I'm going to get flamed for this, because some find the low-rise more comfortable and certainly more fashionable. But if you like low-rise, just make sure they're not TOO low.

SarahandSam
Nov. 9, 2011, 06:29 AM
I was beginning to think I was the only one who had the problem of side zips digging into my hipbone!

Granted, not all do, and most of my nice show breeches don't dig in and I prefer the look of the side zips in the show ring so those are what I wear.

However, I hate my side zip schooling breeches. They become painful after a day of riding and teaching. Might be different if I was just riding one horse, but I need something that remains comfortable all day.

Me too on the digging! I'm also bony, and will actually have bruises on my hipbone from the belt buckle with side zips after a full day wearing them. Plus, I like to wear my horse's nameplate belt, and the nameplate then has to sit in a weird spot over my right buttcheek, and it sticks out funny.

I do think the side zip is more flattering of a look, but I find it annoying overall.

bumknees
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:25 AM
As others have said I pefer front zip because side zips digs into my hip bone and joint. This goes for dress pants as well.

I also hate low rise I may somehow managed to keep a 24 inch waist after 2 kids but I am no longer 12 to where my body has not shown the changes that come wiith life. And well bodies over a certian age should not ''show off'' certian parts of them that low rise do.

GingerJumper
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:36 AM
Side zip, side zip, side zip. The only front zips I like are my TS's with the euro seat. I like low rise (being a kiddo). I also like COLORS! Not really into the muted colors either. I like a pop of color so I don't feel like I'm stuck in the clothes I'd show in when I'm just schooling or something.

To summarize my "wish list" of features in a breech, I've put it into "bullet" points:

-COLORS (red, etc). Also, a NICE white breech, not a cheap see through one.
-Euro seat option. I flipping love my euro seat TS's.
-Reasonable price. There are some REALLY cute breeches out there... but many of them are ungodly expensive.
-Nice fabric.
-Big enough knee patches. I like for them to come about halfway up my thigh or just a touch below there.
-NO VELCRO ANKLES. Please. I beg you.
-Side zip or front zip option.
-Pockets.
-Wide waistband, but not RIDICULOUSLY so.
-Nice stretchy calf with minimal seams. That has been my only real complaint about my Ariat breeches; they have a lot of seams in the calf area.
-Multiple rise options. Not everyone likes the low rise or the waist height, I think you'd sell more with both options.

sschuessler
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:47 AM
I have never owned side zip breeches so don't really have a say on them...I love my front zips. I could never find side zips that fit me right.
But definitely YES to:
-Euro Seat
-No velcro at ankle
-Stretchy Calf

Maybe I could learn to like side zips if these were made so they fit me!

DMK
Nov. 9, 2011, 08:28 AM
Side zip... hate the euro seam. That is not a good look from behind for any non-stick figures.

Sing Mia Song
Nov. 9, 2011, 09:13 AM
I'm a side-zip girl, but another feature I prefer is a wide waistband. That distributes the pressure across the belly and prevents rolling. It's also a whole lot more comfortable.

Dewey
Nov. 9, 2011, 09:53 AM
hate the euro seam. That is not a good look from behind for any non-stick figures.

You said a mouthful.

vxf111
Nov. 9, 2011, 09:54 AM
You said a mouthful.

Really? I think it's flattering. A seam breaks up what would otherwise be a wide expanse of fabric-on-@ss. The seam at least gives a visual break and a nice long line that breaks up the space into two skinnier panels. I think it's a more flattering look. To each his or her own!

RolyPolyPony
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:05 AM
I have wide hips, but I am about 5' 10 and 130 lbs. Side zips fit my body type horribly. I have to go up a size to get them to fit my hips, but they are saggy in the thigh and bottom area. The absolute BEST breeches I have ever owned are Ariat Cavalry breeches, which are no longer in production. If FITS could make a front zip that fits like these I would buy at least 5 pair!

http://www.tackroominc.com/ariat-cavalry-breech-p-6779.html

Oh my gosh! You're me! I'm 5'11.5" and 135 and have big hips that are also bony - side sips hurt like HECK, and fit really strangely. I am front zip ALL the way, no doubt.

(and I like the look of those breeches you link to!)

Dewey
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:26 AM
Really? I think it's flattering. A seam breaks up what would otherwise be a wide expanse of fabric-on-@ss. The seam at least gives a visual break and a nice long line that breaks up the space into two skinnier panels. I think it's a more flattering look. To each his or her own!

True, true! I'm too self-conscious to wear them, but lots of people think like you. And once you're mounted, it doesn't show anyway. As you say, to each, her own!

TrotTrotPumpkn
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:48 AM
I agree with the poster who said wider waistband.

Pony+ an inch
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:56 AM

Agreed, I actually liked the way they styled my curves. And YES to whoever said wider/thicker waistband.

moonriverfarm
Nov. 9, 2011, 11:47 AM
CONTROL TOP!!!!

Fancy That
Nov. 9, 2011, 12:34 PM
Celeritas - you have described exactly my thoughts, too. I hope SOMEONE comes out with something that fits the below description - for us :)

FITS - thanks for asking what customers want/need!!

Side zip, hands down. I am also petite and curvy. I also want a side-zip euro seat schooling breech that comes in fun colors that aren't as expensive as the Trophy Hunters, and come in a fabric that isn't 98% cotton. I LOVE my Grand Prix breeches, and wish the Vegas model came in a side-zip; their fabric seems to last better than the other crappy cottony choices out there. Oh, oh, and I was DENIM too, without paying $200 for them! Sorry, but I'm NOT paying 200 bucks for schooling breeches.

As for the velcro debate, I also have issues with my TS velcro, but it's because I am short and my breeches go down to the bottom of my ankles, and I have skinny ankles, so the velcro overlaps, which then creates a bulge under my sock. I have a pair of the Equine Couture Baker breeches (front zip, but I got them on clearance and couldn't resist), and while I like the elastic-y calf, those are also too long. Also, they're not very breathable so they make my legs sweat a lot. Ariat still has the best stretchy calf out there.

I have tried the FITS Beka breeches on as I liked the price point and styling, but they were miles too long for me (I'm 5'4" and wear a 28/30), so there went that option...

Fancy That
Nov. 9, 2011, 12:47 PM
Side zip... hate the euro seam. That is not a good look from behind for any non-stick figures.

I'll have to disagree. I am very curvy and the Euro Seam/Seat is SOO SUPER FLATTERING. The line really breaks up the "expanse" and just looks better.

It's what I prefer on all my breeches...and I am FAR from a stick! :) (here's what I look like in breeches (http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/elaineshickman/Fancy%20Family/PICT0249.jpg))

JenEM
Nov. 9, 2011, 01:07 PM
For showing, side-zips. Much nicer line under a coat.

For schooling, I tend to buy nicer breeches when they're on clearance, so I've got a mix of side- and front-zips. I do really love the Cavalry breeches someone mentioned above, and they may be the only pair of front-zips I really love. I've got a pair of corduroy Ariats that are cut similarly, and they're great in cooler weather. I generally don't like the fabric of the mid-priced Ariats, but I LOVE the stretchy elastic leg thing rather than velcro. I love the fabric on the nicer RJs, which I don't think they're making any more; it's a bit water-repellent and seems very impervious to stains and spills, which at horse shows, is great.

FITS
Nov. 9, 2011, 01:36 PM
Thank you everyone! We will keep checking this thread as you continue with your input. GOOD RIDING!

Dewey
Nov. 9, 2011, 01:42 PM
Thank you everyone! We will keep checking this thread as you continue with your input. GOOD RIDING!

petite sizes, please!!

supershorty628
Nov. 9, 2011, 02:13 PM
petite sizes, please!!

Agreed! I have to get child-sized breeches, which is fine, but it's hard to find ones that are the right length and the right width.

Calvincrowe
Nov. 9, 2011, 03:13 PM
FITS- shorter breeches, please! I'm 5'7 with longish legs and your LG size is too long. The bottom of the leg hits on my ankles and creates a painful lump. I love the crotch gusset styling, very comfortable in and out of the saddle. The mid-rise is perfect and I love the ab panel. The wide waist band is good, too.

I school in Ariat Brittany breeches (no longer made:() and like them for that--stretchy cotton, rise is a bit low and missing a belt loop in the center back, so I stitched one on. Like the elastic leg and the wash-and-wear aspect.

KristiKGC
Nov. 9, 2011, 03:15 PM
Don't forget tall riders as well. Every other company only adds a tiny amount (usually an inch) and labels it LONG.

All I want is for ONE company to make breeches for riders taller than 5'8"!

ETA: I see that your breeches usually run long and for that I thank you (though I'm 6'1" so they would probably still be too short). However, the generic sizing has always prevented me from ordering them. I would recommend stating the length somewhere in the sizing info. Without being able to try them on in a store I would never think to order a pair without knowing this information.

VelvetsAB
Nov. 9, 2011, 03:38 PM
Side zip. The weird pucker-at-the-front on front zips looks odd on me.

I have tried on some euro-seat breeches, but found I didn't like them because the material was really thin. Thin material doesn't hide lumps and bumps the same as a thicker material....especially since as soon as you sit in the saddle, it seems to emphsize MORE lumps and bumps.

Love the wider waistband on the Grand Prix breeches I have. Makes it easier to wear any belt with them, and they stay where they are put.

Would like to see a mid-rise breech that is actually mid-rise.

kchfuller
Nov. 9, 2011, 05:06 PM
Love side zip for showing!

Schooling whatever is comfy, cheap and clean :)

On the side of length- I am 5'7" but have short legs and so most breeches are too long and hurt around the ankle when I have boots on.

Also I am square shaped and it seems like most breeches are for someone with a waist- not me! haha

rockfordbuckeye
Nov. 9, 2011, 06:38 PM
I am a weirdo and def. prefer front-zip. I also like the wider waistband. I'm pretty thin and the side zips feel like when I sit in the saddle the waist comes up higher and then they kind of pooch out at the hip and make me look bigger than I am. Probably that means I should go down a size but I also don't like plastered on breeches. I'm thin but I'm not a kid anymore ;-)

The velcro legs drive me craa-aazy! I prefer the TS cut but the ariat leg. I guess the Olympia has been a compromise for me with more of a TS slim fit and ariat leg.

Lord Helpus
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:25 PM
I have just recently bought some front zip breeches because I have recently gotten a tad, ummmm, rounder and my breeches, which still fit everywhere else will NOT hook above the zipper. I have to weat a belt to keep the zipper from coming undone.

Not a good look with a tucked in shirt..... :no:

Front zips ALL fit through the waist, so, even though I do not like them better, I am buying them so my pants will stay up.

I am 5'9" with VERY long legs. And all of the size L breeches are MUCH too long. So I get regular and hope that I don't have camel toe.:eek:

Life's a beatch. :lol:

Velcro at the bottom -- I would vote for it if any garment manufacturers actually looked at the size of a woman's leg and put the velcro in places where the 2 strips will actually meet.

The "stretchy bottom" kind ride up as I am putting on my socks. They are never tight on my leg.

MANUFACTURERS! are you reading this?

Sing Mia Song
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:34 PM
CONTROL TOP!!!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Kerrits microcord breeches are pull-ons with a V-panel that controls belly pooch without feeling like a straightjacket. They are my very favorite schooling breeches, only because they are now too beat up to wear in the show ring.