PDA

View Full Version : Problems with County saddles?

Reagan
Nov. 8, 2011, 12:39 PM
My parents bought my a County stabilizer for my college graduation. I'm super excited! Ive had the same old Crosby since I was probably 8 years old. I love that saddle but there is no way it ever going to fit my mare.

It came in last Wednesday and the County rep was supposed to drop it off. I have been in contact with her since then and she wasn't sure what was taking them so long getting the saddle out of the office. I talked to her last night and apparently the saddle is stamped "medium" when I ordered a medium wide. It has been sent out to be looked at and make sure it is just a mis-stamp.

Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be worried about them ripping my saddle open? If it is the wrong tree should I ask for some kind of discount? I have been without a saddle for a few weeks now, it would really be inconvenient if I had to wait 10 more weeks for something I paid so much for. I don't want to over react but this saddle isn't cheap (let's face it, it's probably worth more then my poor little car at this point!) and I don't want to get something that I'm going to be unhappy with.

BAC
Nov. 8, 2011, 12:56 PM
County has a good reputation for customer service so I would wait to hear back from them first before getting upset. If the tree is the wrong size, you are going to have to wait for a new one, you can't just expect your poor horse to squeeze into a too-narrow saddle because of time constraints. A discount from the original price won't help your horse any if the saddle doesn't fit. Hopefully it won't come to that and the saddle is just mismarked.

Rye
Nov. 8, 2011, 12:58 PM
I've had County Saddles for over 10 years and never had a problem. Sounds like a simple human error (the mis-stamp) and they will fix it.

Not sure why it merits a "discount"? Frustrating? Yes. End of the world? No.

Are they going to make you a new one or change the tree? Either way, I would not be concerned, it's not like the work is being done in a sweatshop/factory in a third world country, where you'd expect shoddy work. Its done by professional master saddle makers in England, it will be good.

I love my Stablizer (for hunters) and my Innovation (for jumpers)

Reagan
Nov. 8, 2011, 01:23 PM
Im not expecting my horse to squeeze into a saddle that doesn't fit her, that is why I am so frustrated. If I had a saddle that fit her I wouldn't be here :).

I understand human error. I'm not trying to be whiney but this situation makes me a little nervous. I just wanted to see if others had been in this situation. So far my rep has been awesome, very straight forward and promptly returning phone calls. I'm sure she will be very helpful making this situation right if the tree is the wrong size.

KateKat
Nov. 8, 2011, 01:58 PM
Perhaps theyll offer you a demo saddle to ride in if it really means your saddle will have to go back to England. Either way I'm sure county will make it right. They've been around for a long time for a reason!

alibi_18
Nov. 8, 2011, 02:06 PM
If the tree is wrong, they are going to make you another saddle, thats all. You will get what you've paid for, which is what you ordered; a med-wide one.

Ask if they have any demo saddle you could have in the meantime. (if it is not just a stamp mistake)

norcalammie
Nov. 8, 2011, 03:27 PM
I don't know if I would accept if with a stamped mistake as at sometime in the future you may decide to sell it and the stamping helps identify the saddle by size, date made, etc.

I love my County and have had the tree replaced - from a narrow to a medium narrow so I know what I have but I do not know if County's records reflect the fact the tree was changed out. You might ask your rep that question as buyers tend to contact County to make sure the saddle is a legitimate sale versus one that may have been stolen.

Just my 2 cents.

Reagan
Nov. 8, 2011, 03:52 PM
I don't know if I would accept if with a stamped mistake as at sometime in the future you may decide to sell it and the stamping helps identify the saddle by size, date made, etc.

I love my County and have had the tree replaced - from a narrow to a medium narrow so I know what I have but I do not know if County's records reflect the fact the tree was changed out. You might ask your rep that question as buyers tend to contact County to make sure the saddle is a legitimate sale versus one that may have been stolen.

Just my 2 cents.

That is a legitimate concern and not one I would have thought of honestly. The rep said they would restamp it if it was just the stamp that was wrong. I'll have to ask if they will have it in their system as a medium or a medium wide.

s65horsey
Nov. 8, 2011, 04:02 PM
My friend had a lot of issues with County saddles. Her horse is a hard to fit horse and she is tall so the flaps need to be longer and so she got a completely custom saddle made (supposedly) and when it got there it didn't fit her or the horse even though the rep took all sorts of measurements. They then told her that the horse changed shape between when the measurements were taken and when the saddle was received (without coming out to remeasure to see if that was the case.)

Her trainer insisted on riding in only county saddles so when she had the horse she rode in it. The rep insisted that only a very thin pad needed to be used since the saddle was custom. After 3 rides the horse was out for 6 months because the saddle didn't fit right despite the rep insisting that it did.

I'd be worried.

BAC
Nov. 8, 2011, 04:23 PM

Very true, in fact I am about to put my CWD up for sale and contacted them today with the stamping information to find out what it all meant. CWD was able to give me all the relevant facts about my saddle, including several that I knew about but had forgotten, which would be important points to know when advertising it.

Definitely make sure the stamping is corrected and County's records are updated if it is determined that that was the problem.

WBmare
Nov. 8, 2011, 04:34 PM
I have a County saddle. LOVE it :) So worth the money. Fits my horse wonderfully and its comfy. I know a lot of people who have a County saddles and every single one of them has had great experiences with them, me included.

I understand your concern, but I'm sure that you and the rep can work out some arrangement. Using a demo saddle would be a good idea if they had to send it back.

vxf111
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:35 PM
Your rep is a good one, I would be surprised if she doesn't make you satisfied once she contacts you.

Shouldn't be that hard for County to tell if it's a mis-stamp, just measure it, right?

alto
Nov. 9, 2011, 03:36 AM
Unfortunately (or fortunately) different County models have different fitting trees, eg, the med tree in the Innovation is wider fitting than the med tree in some of their other jump saddles.

I love my County rep but if I ordered a custom saddle & the saddle that arrived was incorrectly sized, I'd expect some sort to compensation for what is a pretty significant factory error - some matching accessories, a rush on the replacement, a saddle to use in the meantime (often not possible if you need a custom saddle) etc ... this is no different than when you deal with any business, most are very happy to provide service beyond the letters on the page, when there has been a company error that will significantly affect the customer.
And in my book a 20 week wait for a saddle rather than the advertised 10 - 12 weeks, is not inconsequential.

Reagan
Nov. 9, 2011, 08:57 AM
Your rep is a good one, I would be surprised if she doesn't make you satisfied once she contacts you.

Shouldn't be that hard for County to tell if it's a mis-stamp, just measure it, right?

She has been great so far! Very, very nice and helpful!

Apparently they are totally opening up the saddle to check the tree. I figured they could just measure it, but I believe they sent it to Susie Coffey to pull apart. Maybe the difference between the medium and the medium-wide are so slight?

vxf111
Nov. 9, 2011, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately (or fortunately) different County models have different fitting trees, eg, the med tree in the Innovation is wider fitting than the med tree in some of their other jump saddles.

Understood, but these are the people who made the saddle. They should know "a medium Innovation measures ____." They made it, they should be intimately aware of any sizing difference between the models and be able to measure and tell what this is. I find it a little head scratching that they have to open it up to do so. How hard could it be? They MADE the saddle?! They have all the model specs. If the differences are so minor so as to be unmeasurable to the human eye, how are they supposed to be significant enough to make a difference when in use?

vxf111
Nov. 9, 2011, 09:01 AM
She has been great so far! Very, very nice and helpful!

Apparently they are totally opening up the saddle to check the tree. I figured they could just measure it, but I believe they sent it to Susie Coffey to pull apart. Maybe the difference between the medium and the medium-wide are so slight?

If they're so slight that they can't be measured when the saddle is put together-- how does it makes any difference to the horse? Why even OFFER these two "different widths" if they're so similar that even someone who makes the saddle can't distinquish between the two?

AKB
Nov. 9, 2011, 09:06 AM
In certain County saddles, you may want a medium instead of a medium wide. We have 4 County saddles in our household. Every saddle is extra wide except for my daughter's jumping saddle. In that style, the medium was the better fit. Susie Coffey is excellent. she will figure out if your saddle is right for your horse.

Beethoven
Nov. 9, 2011, 09:09 AM
I love my County to pieces! I have had it for 11 years. :D No one believes me when I tell them how old it is.

I think the fact that the rep noticed the mistake before the saddle was delivered to you is a testament to County's customer service. She was trying to right a wrong before the customer even had it in their hands. But that just MHO

Reagan
Nov. 9, 2011, 09:24 AM
In certain County saddles, you may want a medium instead of a medium wide. We have 4 County saddles in our household. Every saddle is extra wide except for my daughter's jumping saddle. In that style, the medium was the better fit. Susie Coffey is excellent. she will figure out if your saddle is right for your horse.

We tried the MW on her and, with the skidrow panels, it is the best fit and gives me the most options as she matures and widens (she is only 4).

I'm thinking about having Susie out once I get the saddle to take a look and make sure that everything is right. I have only heard excellent things about her :)

TimelyImpulse
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:16 AM
I'm sure County will make it right. Last year, the new Conquest I ordered came in 3 weeks after my horse died. County offered to switch out the tree, at no charge, if it didn't fit my other horse. It fit him just fine, but the offer was there.

Have fun with your mare, and enjoy your County. :-)

Rye
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:48 AM
Ask to borrow a demo while you wait for your saddle, I'll bet they will do it.

hollyhorse2000
Nov. 9, 2011, 12:58 PM
I was going to suggest you get an unaffiliated saddle fitter to check the fit once you get the saddle. (This is a universal suggestion, not just for County). Suzy is one of the best and I'd encourage you to have her out to check the fit once you get the saddle. Since she is in the area and available to do the reflocking you'll need periodically . . .

Jleegriffith
Nov. 9, 2011, 01:46 PM
The rep for DE/MD is brand new and very new to saddle fitting. I would get another opinion because the bottom line is that just being a nice person isn't enough when you are paying for a $4k saddle.

I have bought 3-4 saddles and had the prior rep out many times to fit my saddles. I would 100% trust her and she now fits independently so you can look her up and give her a call.

crazyhorseinmd
Nov. 9, 2011, 02:02 PM
I have no doubt that County will make it right!

Susie's great, but I'd definitely stick with your County agent. I was told when I called their office for an issue once that their agents are specifically trained on County saddles.

@Jleegriffith - I saw on Facebook that the old rep is now working for Custom. Not independent either.

vxf111
Nov. 9, 2011, 02:09 PM
I thought Susie *was* the County rep in MD? She's not?

Jleegriffith
Nov. 9, 2011, 02:14 PM
It was Gina Perilla for De/Md. I know Gina is fitting saddles of all brands and repping for a few companies. She has always been very good to me especially when I buy saddles off of ebay and have her come and fit them:lol:

hollyhorse2000
Nov. 9, 2011, 04:33 PM
Saddles reps SELL saddles.

Unaffiliated saddle fitters FIT saddles.

buy from the first but get help from the second IME with many high-end saddle sellers.

Fancy That
Nov. 9, 2011, 04:51 PM
I LOVE my County Innovation XTR. I wouldn't be worried if I were you about "County". Yes, it sounds like maybe there was a mis-stamp, but seems you are in good hands with the rep and County will make it right.

Your horse will thank you for getting a County! What a wonderful gift :)

And yes - I agree that the different County models fit very differently.The Innovation runs REALLY WIDE, so my mare, who is too wide for the XW County Stabilizer, Pro Fit and Symmetry (so, she would take an XXW in those, if they made them)....she fits into a W/XW in the Innovation :)

Reagan
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:28 PM
County called me today. The tree is the right size, just misstamped, so no waiting for another saddle to be made, I get to pick it up tomorrow!! I'm so excited.

Apparently County caught wind of this thread and apologized for all of the confusion. They have definitely made everything right in my book. Thank you, everyone, for all of your opinions. It eased my mind knowing so many people have had good experiences with County. I got unlucky to get shipped a saddle with a simple mistake at a time when their office was hectic (apparently it flooded last week.) so no one was as organized as I'm sure they normally are.

Sing Mia Song
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:44 PM
It was Gina Perilla for De/Md. I know Gina is fitting saddles of all brands and repping for a few companies. She has always been very good to me especially when I buy saddles off of ebay and have her come and fit them:lol:

Yes, Gina is no longer repping for County. It's a new woman, whose name escapes me. She's had a couple ads in the Equiery recently.

alto
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:49 PM
That's great news :yes:
- course now we all expect photos of:
1) the saddle
2) the horse
3) the saddle + the horse
4) the saddle + the horse + the rider (should you feel particularly brave :) )

I'd still have your rep provide some official paperwork to back up the "mis-stamp", this way, if you sell the saddle on, everything is straightforward for the buyer (even if the shop that looked at the tree changed the stamp, still have County provide a supporting document).

I don't see how one could definitively state a tree size without looking at the actual tree - custom panels can greatly alter the "opening" that one might measure externally.

chaser74
Nov. 9, 2011, 08:19 PM
My experiences with County have been several steps past horrific. I would not trust them an inch. Sorry.

livetoride620
Nov. 10, 2011, 07:43 PM
My experiences with County have been several steps past horrific. I would not trust them an inch. Sorry.

Ditto.

Perfect10
Nov. 10, 2011, 08:49 PM
I've had nothing but great experiences with County. While one of my two saddles was being custom flocked, they gave me a demo to use, even though I already had a county that could have worked with some padding.