PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in the new saddle...

cswoodlandfairy
Nov. 8, 2011, 12:24 PM
So I received my new saddle yesterday, it is Stubben Roxane S. I was told when trying the saddle that when it arrived to spend 20hrs in the saddle on his back without a saddle pad. This would allow his body heat to mold the wool to his back and create a better fit. Now the saddle fitter already had to flock it especially for Forrest.

So I tried to ride in it yesterday sans saddle pad and Forrest was so mad. It fits him great, but he is really sensitive on his back and I felt like I had my green bean horse that would bolt forward and take off. He was hallowing his back out instead of rounding out. So I’m afraid to go without a pad today since he’s really uncomfortable with it. Will a baby pad or half pad still do the same thing?

I’ve always ridden in a half pad and thin saddle pad underneath so I know this is completely new for him. Anyone have any suggestions or success breaking in a saddle?

shoponee70
Nov. 8, 2011, 12:28 PM
use a baby pad, When I got my stubben camelot, i just used a regular saddle pad honestly, its wool. its going to mold to him anyway, it'll just take longer with the saddle pad but if it makes him happier, then use a saddle pad :)