PDA

View Full Version : This is lame but my horse is cute: Help me with a show name?

overthemoon
Nov. 8, 2011, 09:33 AM
I have a 3yo Cnd WB mare who I thought I found a name for about a year ago but I'm starting to doubt it a little bit.

Her barn name is Mexi because she was born on the day that her breeder's daughter got back from Mexico. Sire is One Night Stand (Buntspecht x Vanity Fair), dam is Hannah (Almez x Mary).

I was originally going to call her Only By Night because of her sire and also the Kings of Leon album. I still really like this name, but I'm also really into the one word names.

She's petite and probably won't hit 16hh, ideally destined for the jumper ring but will be in the hunter ring a fair amount too due to the lack of jumper shows in my area. She also has a GREAT personality, super smart and (what seems to often accompany that) sassy.

Any ideas?

Old winter headshot (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/flyin_sofa/832747357_mexiandjulie041a.jpg)

First time through the chute as a yearling, pre-make over (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/flyin_sofa/818554422_crosbystables050.jpg)

Trotting this summer, one of her first rides under saddle (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/flyin_sofa/mexitrot.jpg)

First bath, she was pretty fond of the hose (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/flyin_sofa/mexihose.jpg)

And just for fun, her baby daddy:

Hunter (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/flyin_sofa/OneNightStand-FantastxVanityFair.jpg)

Jumper (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/flyin_sofa/OneNightStand4.jpg)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for being a pain. ;)

jrzeqrider
Nov. 8, 2011, 09:57 AM
I really like Only by Night :)

hequestrian
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:05 AM
No great name suggestions but she's cute!

Matbe you could look up cities in Mexico and find a cool one? That would go with her barn name...

Good luck.

majesticthundor
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:30 AM
My horse was formerly shown under the name of a state in Mexico and it was never pronounced correctly.

Just something to consider :)

No great name suggestions but she's cute!

Matbe you could look up cities in Mexico and find a cool one? That would go with her barn name...

Good luck.

overthemoon
Nov. 8, 2011, 01:30 PM
A Mexican city is a good idea. I've witnessed my fair share of friends' horses with difficult to pronounce names, and I've always been one to err on the side of caution with names. I'll have to look into it.

Any other ideas?

jetsmom
Nov. 8, 2011, 02:24 PM
Solo a Noche- Only at night.

Monterey- Mexican city that isn't hard to pronounce

How about "Shotgun Wedding" due to the dad's name? LOL.

Event4Life
Nov. 8, 2011, 02:28 PM
Buen a Noche! because its cool, includes the night thing, and common enough that mispronunciation shouldn't be a problem! If you're into one word names just combine it: Buenanoche .

Trevelyan96
Nov. 8, 2011, 03:05 PM
Well, the spanish word for Only is Solamente, which is also a very pretty word.

kashmere
Nov. 8, 2011, 06:17 PM
We have a One Night Stand daughter, too! Love his babies :)

I_Heart_Eventing
Nov. 8, 2011, 06:21 PM
Calabatini is a tequila based pumpkin cocktail. I like the idea of an alcoholic drink that has tequila in it for the Mexican part and and drink name because Padre's name was One Night Stand....which almost always include a beverage, ;)

overthemoon
Nov. 8, 2011, 08:30 PM
I kind of like the tequila idea. I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit of a tequila fan. Given the Mexico tie, her sire's name, and the fact that both her breeder and I share a fondness for high end tequila... you could be on to something.

overthemoon
Nov. 9, 2011, 06:10 PM
Okay, bear with me? Here are some tequila brands...

- Partida
- Centinela
- Caramba
- Cocula
- Esperanto
- Revolucion
- Tonala
- Adrenalina
- Azunia
- Cazadores
- Excellia
- Fortaleza
- Nobleza
- Peligroso
- Semental

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Beethoven
Nov. 9, 2011, 06:21 PM
I had a horse named Agave which is what tequilla is made from.

overthemoon
Nov. 9, 2011, 06:26 PM
I hadn't thought about that route, actually. But how often did announcers say "ah-gaav" or "ah-gave" instead of "ah-gaa-vey"?

kchfuller
Nov. 9, 2011, 07:10 PM
Oh i like Agave!

overthemoon
Nov. 9, 2011, 09:04 PM
What are thoughts on Caramba or Cazadores?

I think those are my favourites so far... Both are tequila brands; Caramba means "wow" and Cazadores means "hunter/s" (which is a slight turn off, haha). Caramba also has some pretty interesting ads, including pink, and is the (I assume self proclaimed) "World's Sexiest Tequila." There have been a few Carambas in the States, but there are no Carambas in the EC database dating back to 2003. No Cazadores on record in the States or here.

stolen virtue
Nov. 9, 2011, 09:12 PM
I'm not very good with spanish names and I live in a town that names everything spanish. What about Agave Dreams, sort of a tequila/one night stand reference. Names are tough, some of the spanish names listed are tough to pronounce. I love horses names-most of them-but announcers have a hard time.

TheJenners
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:24 PM
Tequila Dreams? Has the one night stand/tequila/night thing? Or (haha) Drunken Hannah?

TheJenners
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:27 PM
Or: Have Another Drink, Close The Bar, Another Round (also good for jumpers!).

TheJenners
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:28 PM
Why couldn't it be this easy to come up with cute names when I registered my horse this month? Ugh. :uhoh:

PS: I actually don't care for reg names that are the same as the barn name, so don't let the "Mexi" part deter you.

stolen virtue
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:34 PM
I love Tequila Dreams ! I went with my OTTB registered name for my own young horse. I have no creativity and I am really trying to get to know the "baby". But I love Tequila Dreams-in fact I think I have had them !

CedarCreekJP
Nov. 9, 2011, 10:40 PM
-Sorority
-Sorority Girl
-Intoxicated
-Sex Appeal
-Risque
-Burlesque
-Tipsy

overthemoon
Nov. 10, 2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far! My SO hates Caramba, which was my leading favourite, haha. His opinion doesn't *really* matter, but it's such a strong opinion that I think I'll pass.

His vote is to just keep "Mexi" as her name. Not so sure about that one... it's pretty plain. His next favourite is Caballito, which means little horse in Spanish (she's about 15.2 at present, may get a smidgen bigger) and is the original glass tequila was poured in.

PonyPenny
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:21 AM
Should you use the feminine version of the name since you have a mare? Caballito should be Caballita I think, but I am not sure. Maybe a spanish speaker can chime in.

ohrebecca
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:27 AM
What about Mexicali?

overthemoon
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:35 AM
Someone suggested Mexicali but I just think of the restaurant chain, haha.

As far as I know, Caballito doesn't have a feminine equivalent (I was also wanting to add the a instead of the o, but I don't think that word exists, at least not in this context. I read something about it meaning mackerel? Haha)

ohrebecca
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:38 AM
Re: Caballito and mackerel: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1109797

We don't have a Mexicali near us, so I didn't even think of that - sorry! :)

drmgncolor
Nov. 10, 2011, 12:36 PM
I personally vote for "Only by the Night"

Of course, I am also a KOL fan. :)

MintHillFarm
Nov. 10, 2011, 12:49 PM
Your filly is so very cute! She reminds me of a small bird with that lovely expression...

Small bird in Spanish is Pajarito (proun: PAharito), which I quite like!

MoonoverMississippi
Nov. 10, 2011, 12:58 PM
Playing off the tequila and daddy's name;

"Straight Tequila Night" (country song, but also suggests the sassiness)

Or...

Mexican Nights

Girls Night Out

trail blazer
Nov. 10, 2011, 01:33 PM
A friend of mine had a really nice show horse when we were goring up named " Cheap Tequila". Kind of goes with the sire's name.....LOL

overthemoon
Nov. 10, 2011, 01:51 PM
Haha, so many great/horrible names.

MintHill, thanks, I'm pretty fond of her. I really like that idea too... but again I think I'd run into the issue of it being mispronouced? I've never had an issue with riding a horse with a difficult to say/often mispronounced name, but I feel like it would annoy me, haha.

How about Caliente? It's a tequila brand, and means "hot" - that's kind of close to sassy? She has such a big personality and I want her name to match.

overthemoon
Nov. 10, 2011, 01:58 PM
Also - Marengo is a tequila brand, and also Napoleon's horse. He was small but mighty, kind of like my mare? Maybe Marenga, to make it a little more girly?