PDA

View Full Version : Girth styles question for new horse

Carli
Nov. 8, 2011, 07:00 AM
I have a large Warmblood gelding I recently purchased. He wears a 56" girth. Given, this is my first horse in nearly a decade, so many decisions to be made. I am purchasing a girth for my CC saddle, and I'm wondering if there is any merit to choosing a Two-end elastic girth over a Split-end and elastic girth? Comfort, etc...? Any opinions? Thank you.

sweetpea
Nov. 8, 2011, 08:31 AM
Saying that I also have a m toulouse anatomic girth that is a 56 and no horse for it!!! I use my county logic girth 52 on everyone!!

Reagan
Nov. 8, 2011, 08:33 AM
I love the anatomic girths. I started using one and no longer needed a breast plate, my saddle stuck in place! They are expensive though.

GingerJumper
Nov. 8, 2011, 08:42 AM
I lovelovelove my Professional's choice split end elastic girths. Easy to clean, easy to use, and pretty inexpensive. I will say, though, that for horses with very sensitive skin you might want a fleece girth... some get rubbed by the Pro Choice girths or leather girths.

Carli
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:09 AM
I guess, I wasn't clear ... I'm looking at these two girths and wondering the pros/cons of using one over the other ...

http://www.smartipony.com/edgewood-2-end-elastic-fancy-leather-girth
http://www.smartipony.com/edgewood-elastic-end-fancy-leather-split-end-girth

He's not sensitive, so no need for anatomical or fleece at this time. I use a Professional's Choice girth to school, but I'm looking at leather for show. Thanks so much!

naters
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:12 AM
My personal opinion (FWIW) is that I like the ones with elastic only on one side, and a split end leather on the other like this:

http://www.smartipony.com/edgewood-elastic-end-fancy-leather-split-end-girth

I find its easy to over tighten the ones with elastics at both ends.

BAC
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:21 AM
I have the first Edgewood girth you posted and love it. I prefer elastic on both ends, because I like to adjust my girth from both sides and it seems to be more equal that way. I do have a split end girth like the second one though and like that too, I was told the split end disperses the pressure more evenly.

hydro101
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:47 AM
I like elastic on both ends. I tighten the elastic on one side, go to the other side, and notice it can go up a hole as well (thus I'm not pulling from one side and asking 50 inches of a girth to adjust).

I hopped off one day after a workout, and my guy took a BIG sigh. I could see the girth stretch and give. I like knowing the girth is 'giving' on both sides when my guy takes a big sigh or is breathing hard, and not restricting on one side.

I think you'll find the 'one side vs both sides elastic' is just a personal preference .

Mukluk
Nov. 10, 2011, 12:45 AM
I prefer the two sided elastic. I think my mare does too.

Credosporthorses
Nov. 10, 2011, 01:26 AM
FWIW I prefer the double end elastic. All of my girths are double elastic, although I mainly use my anatomic. I do think they are more of a jumper look, not sure what ring you plan on showing in.