PDA

View Full Version : The lesser of two evils

Ammy Owner
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:32 PM
Watching a local hunter classic and there was quite a huge fuss made over scoring. I would like to know how you would pin these two trips;

Horse 1- Beautiful fancy green hunter jumps a 10 and moves great, found all 12 jumps and completed one of three higher options. Had one late change behind and one simple change that was late after a failed lead change attempt.

Horse 2- Jumper just going as a hunter in this one class jumps flat and quick like a good childrens jumper. Kid found all 12 jumps but horse swapped at least 6 times in front of the jumps. She completed all of the higher options and was a little quick.

So which one is worse? The wishy washy lead changes from the very fancy green horse or the multitude of lead changes from the not fancy jumper???

*jumper*
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:36 PM
Horse 2 would place lower in my book. I'm no judge and I don't compete in hunters, but I would favor two iffy changes over a bunch of swaps. Plus if horse 1 generally had a smoother trip and better form (assuming these two), that would place it higher too.

reay6790
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:37 PM
A simple change usually equals an automatic 50 or so but...I might turn my head the other way during the horse's "changes" if the other horse was that bad.

equitationisin
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:38 PM
trotting on course is a major fault. I believe it's an automatic score of 50. horse 2 wins

PonyLady29
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:39 PM
Jumper wins. Nice hunter with a simple change gets an automatic 55 for trotting on course

mroades
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:39 PM
yep, breaking to the trot is an automatic 55...jumpery horse with swaps would be in the 60's or low 70's

Ammy Owner
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:43 PM
Well to add a little more detail it was a huge class at a local show. There were more scary trips than not scary trips. And then some very nice green horses there for schooling. Neither horse won but 'Horse 1' beat out 'Horse 2' by 2 points (Which happened to be the difference between a ribbon and no ribbon) The second horse was not bad at all he was just a jumper in a hunter class and you could tell.

Ammy Owner
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:44 PM

Ammy Owner
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:45 PM
yep, breaking to the trot is an automatic 55...jumpery horse with swaps would be in the 60's or low 70's

He got a 70 actually, you are pretty good that this :D

mroades
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks! I do try...:-)

mroades
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:49 PM
I will say that if the judge did not actually see the trot or it was after the last jump..then you might not get the auto 55

Ammy Owner
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:56 PM
I will say that if the judge did not actually see the trot or it was after the last jump..then you might not get the auto 55

It was after the last jump :)

mroades
Nov. 7, 2011, 10:08 PM
yeah, thats a funny gray area...sometimes you have already written down the score...and some don't penalize what happens after the last jump with the same severity as during the course.

Lucassb
Nov. 7, 2011, 10:49 PM
He got a 70 actually, you are pretty good that this :D

mroades is an R judge, LOL... she does that for a living!!!

SSacky
Nov. 7, 2011, 10:57 PM
Jumper wins. A simple change is nothing but a break in the big ring. Automatic 50.

ToTheNines
Nov. 7, 2011, 11:01 PM
Even if the trot is an automatic 55, isn't it still within the judge's discretion to judge a lousy trip with a lousy jump with 54 or less?

MHM
Nov. 8, 2011, 09:58 AM
Even if the trot is an automatic 55, isn't it still within the judge's discretion to judge a lousy trip with a lousy jump with 54 or less?

Many judges will give a score of 50 (or 60) if there was a "scary" or dangerous jump in the trip, but that is very much a matter of interpretation by the judge. Some judges are harder to scare than others. ;)

It was after the last jump :)

It's VERY easy for the judge to miss something after the last jump, since that's when s/he is most likely to be looking down at the score card, comparing this trip to the previous ones.

Not to say that had to be the case here, but it's quite possible.