PDA

View Full Version : What happens to the Canadian equestrian team now?

Dare1
Nov. 7, 2011, 08:39 PM
Sorry if this too soon but I can't help wondering what happens now with the unexpected death of Hickstead.

Eric and Hickstead would have been playing a big part in the 2012 Olympics but that will not happen now.

So where does that leave the Canadian team as far as riders and mounts?

It was mentioned this morning on Canada am that (if I remember correctly) Eric would have to own the horse he was ccompeting on by January 2012 in order to be eligible to compete at the games.

So what are your thoughts on this?

If you are going to slam me for thinking about this please just close this thread and carry on. It is not meant to offend anyone but I can't help wondering about this.

klmck63
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:18 PM
Well, Ian Millar has both Star Power and another horse whose name escapes me. Jonathan Asselin has Showgirl and they did well at the Pan Am Games. Jill Henselwood has George who seems like a promising horse but is maybe lacking in the experience some of the other horses have. Eric still has Coriana van Klapscheut, who I believe he owns a share in, but I don't know if the horse has to be 100% Canadian owned or not...

Yann Candele, the rest of the Millars and John Pearce come to mind as well.

I wouldn't say we're out of the running entirely. We have lots of good riders but not always enough good horses to go around.

SSacky
Nov. 7, 2011, 11:50 PM
We've definitely lost our star combination. No horse is like Hickstead and it would be even harder to find anything like the bond and intimate understanding Eric and Hickstead shared.

That said, we have plenty of riders set to go. I'm not sure if it has been announced or not, but you can bet Ian will be there (though I would put my money on this being his last games). I honestly believe Eric will go on another mount. Hickstead is one in a million, but Eric is a magnificent pilot who deserves his spot on the national team. He competed a different horse at the PanAm games and one can only assume this would have been his second in command to Hickstead.

KateD
Nov. 8, 2011, 01:03 AM
Don't quote me on it but is Ashland Farms/the Fleishacker family - probably spelled that horribly wrong! - (who co-owned Hickstead) not in the US? They could be Canadian, just not sure. If that is the case, the horses Eric co-owns with Artisan Farms (Ziegler's) would be available for 2012. I know he qualified 3 different mounts (Coriana, Sidoline and Atlete) for the Pan Am Games so there is no shortage of talent but none are quite like Hickstead... :(

There are many up and coming riders as well or veterans with younger horses within Canada, it should be interesting to see who will be selected come next year!

Polydor
Nov. 8, 2011, 04:23 AM
Ditto what SSacky said.

I would imagine that Canadian riders will step up to the plate to form a solid team. Also I'm sure Eric will be on it with one of his top horses. All of his are doing amazing these days.

Not slamming you for thinking it, since it should be interesting to see who is picked but that is awhile away but they way you worded it was a big dis towards the rest of the Canadian team.

P.

eclipse
Nov. 8, 2011, 12:02 PM
We've also got Jonathon Asselin who was the highest finishing Canadian overall at the Pan Ams! We've definatley lost our best combination, but there are still others who can step up and compete for Canada!

Dare1
Nov. 8, 2011, 07:56 PM
I didn't mean this post as a dis against the other top Canadian riders as I am a Canadian and have cheered on Captain Canada and the rest of the team for years. I was just curious as to others thoughts as to what would happen now and who they thought the riders would be for team Canada at the Olympics.
Eric and Hickstead were the defending champions and in my eyes would have defended their gold medal again.
Now with the death of Hickstead nothing is certain so that is the reason for my question.

Quinn
Nov. 8, 2011, 09:11 PM
Dare1, I for one didn't think for a moment you were asking anything inappropriate. I believe people are still reeling from Sunday's tragedy. To be honest, I was wondering the same thing.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

Dare1
Nov. 8, 2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks Quinn.
I am still in shock about Hickstead's death but it sure does bring up some interesting thoughts on who will ride to gold at the Olympics
Apparently Eric is said to be riding at the Royal tonight so I will be watching the live feed to see if it is true.
Best of luck to all the riders tonight.

SSacky
Nov. 8, 2011, 10:21 PM
I don't think there's a doubt in anyone's mind that Eric remains a top 4 rider. He was before and he still is. I also think that Hickstead taught Eric an incredible amount that he will put foreward into his new horses