PDA

View Full Version : Hickstead died in Verona

Pages : [1] 2 3

rebecca yount
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:39 AM
We were watching a GP competition live from Verona. Eric Lamaze finished his round on Hickstead and the horse dropped dead in the ring while walking out. Looked like heart attack. How sad!

ifiwereyou
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:54 AM
??!!?? is this for real ??!!??

Tha Ridge
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:00 AM
??!!?? is this for real ??!!??

I'm wondering too?

alibi_18
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:01 AM
OMG...This is all over Facebook and Twitter...

So sad....

SaturdayNightLive
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:01 AM
:eek:

Please tell me this is a bad joke.

sansibar
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:02 AM
any updates? I saw this some where else too.
:(

MHM
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:05 AM
If it's true... How terrible!

Roxy SM
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:06 AM
It is true. I just signed into FEItv and the Verona feed was still playing and they were having a moment of silence for him and cancelling the rest of the class.

Tha Ridge
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:06 AM
:eek:

Please tell me this is a bad joke.

The other thread says it's true...

Gosh, I hope not. How sad for everyone involved with that stellar horse. :(

MHM
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:08 AM
If so, RIP to a great horse. And condolences to those connected to him.

At least he went out doing what he enjoyed.

klmck63
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:08 AM
Perhaps you could change the title of the thread to something a little less sensational and a little more respectful? Hickestead is a horse that sure deserves a lot of our respect!

Limerick
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:10 AM
What an amazing horse. So tragic for everyone involved with him.

Justa Bob
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:13 AM
Perhaps you could change the title of the thread to something a little less sensational and a little more respectful? Hickestead is a horse that sure deserves a lot of our respect!

Like. Condolences for his connections. Very sad.

War Admiral
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:15 AM
Oh dear, how terribly sad. :( Condolences.

Brydelle Farm
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:15 AM
Godspeed Hickstead!!

JanM
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:17 AM
How horrible! My condolences to his connections, and his fans. RIP. Godspeed Hickstead.

SquishTheBunny
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:19 AM
:( So sad. So incredibly sad.

Lord Helpus
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:20 AM
It is already up on YouTube.

It is very disturbing. Do not watch it if you are not ready to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XE4tneMOMo

backinthesaddle
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:25 AM
No way I can watch that

CruisingforGold
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:26 AM
How awful. What a wonderful horse.

classicsporthorses
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:28 AM
Sending our condolences. How very sad.

Jewels09
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:28 AM
My heart goes out to everyone involved. What a horrible thing to have to witness for the rider and groom

Tha Ridge
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:29 AM

My heart is breaking for Eric. The shot of him standing and watching, with his groom's (?) arms around him, while they covered up Hickstead and put him on the horse ambulance is beyond upsetting.

MistyPony
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:30 AM
Cr@p. That's exactly what happened to my horse. Terrible. Just awful. My condolences to everyone involved!

Sabovee
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:30 AM
So sad. Magnificent horse :(

Tap2Tango
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:31 AM
The video is very sad. I agree, the OP needs to change the title. Not appropriate at all.

SaturdayNightLive
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:32 AM
My heart is breaking for Eric. The shot of him standing and watching, with his groom's (?) arms around him, while they covered up Hickstead and put him on the horse ambulance is beyond upsetting.

This. I can't even imagine.

RIP Hickstead.

Mara
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:33 AM
The video is very sad. I agree, the OP needs to change the title. Not appropriate at all.

I agree, but she was probably in shock when she started the thread.

wcporter
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:34 AM
:cry:

Lord Helpus
I'm crying. For Hickstead, for Eric, for his connections and for the fans. And for show jumping in general.

I am very glad they canceled the GP (if that is true?). To have continued on like nothing happened would have lessened the magnitude of his loss.

Coreene
Godspeed to a great horse.

GypsyQ
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:36 AM
Godspeed, Hickstead.

showjumpers66
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:37 AM
Ditto ... so absolutely heartbreaking. :cry:

I'm crying. For Hickstead, for Eric, for his connections and for the fans. And for show jumping in general.

I am very glad they canceled the GP (if that is true?). To have continued on like nothing happened would have lessened the magnitude of his loss.

Jolie_
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:37 AM
This is really sad news, can't believe I will never be able to see him excel in the ring again. In memory this is how I would like to remember him

Winning CN International this year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVFXm...ure=plpp_video

and this great tribute done after the Olympics Olympics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPNwWwUnJ48

Tap2Tango
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:38 AM

No doubt about it, it is very shocking. Still could have picked a better title...

BLBGP
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:38 AM
So very sad. Rest in Peace little horse, and comfort to his connections. Simply awful. How old was he?

Sabovee
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:41 AM
A friend of mine who works for Ian just told me it's Hickstead's grooms birthday today too :( :( :(

besttwtbever
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:41 AM
Wikipedia says he was foaled in 1996 so that would put him at about 15.

RIP Hickstead.

wcporter
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:44 AM
A friend of mine who works for Ian just told me it's Hickstead's grooms birthday today too :( :( :(

Oh God. I cant even imagine... :no: :(

spina
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:45 AM
Such a magnificent horse, what a horrible loss. So, so sad.

Hunter Mom
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:46 AM
How old was he?

dani0303
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:47 AM
RIP to one of the world's greatest ever show jumpers. What a sad way to end. My heart breaks for Eric, his connections, and the rest of the show jumping world.

laughATTACK
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:51 AM
This is truly heartbreaking. Condolences to his connections and to all those who loved him. May he rest in peace.

:cry::cry::cry:

clint
How devastating. I can't even imagine how heartbroken Eric must be. God speed, Hickstead; you were one of the best ever. :(

SquishTheBunny
He was born in 1996. Too young. However, like everyone always said about him - it was his huge heart, not his body, that made him so incredible. These type dont come along very often, and dont stay with us long enough. :(

FalseImpression
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:52 AM
Oh no!! My heart goes to Eric and the other connections. This is so sad. I can't imagine what Eric was feeling as he felt Hickstead drop from under him and then have to watch.... Eric was supposed to be in Toronto this week for the Nations Cup at the Royal with Corianna. I would not blame him if he backed out.

What a horse Hickstead was! Thanks for the CN and Olympic tributes. I too want to remember him like that.

Farewell little horse!!

dp1092
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:54 AM
it was his huge heart, not his body, that made him so incredible. These type dont come along very often, and dont stay with us long enough. :('

This is so true...:(

Somermist
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:56 AM
So very sad for all involved. God Bless.

SSacky
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:56 AM
One of the greatest horses this sport will ever see. Its feels like Teddy O'Connor all over again. :(

A big hole in my heart for a horse I never met.

To the MAX
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:57 AM
I can't even imagine how heartbroken everyone is that knows and loves him. RIP :cry:

Instant Karma
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:59 AM
Rest in peace, ya good boy:cry:

My condolences to all involved.

JSwan
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:01 PM
Deepest condolences to all who worked with and loved this horse. He was an incredible athlete.

RIP Hickstead.

rebecca yount
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:02 PM

Thank you, yes I was. Geez, you people are relentless!! No disrespect intended, of course. We were watching it live on USEF TV. At first I just saw him on the ground and thought he was badly injured and was horrified, then it quickly became apparent what was happening as it unfolded. Of course it is a shocking situation. Good for the riders for calling off the rest of the competition. We watched the whole thing live.

As a horse person, I am just glad he died quickly and it wasn't as I feared--he didn't suffer much. It's the people who are suffering now.

Rebecca

MHM
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:05 PM

That stinks. :(

I don't want to watch the video to find out, but I hope he went out on a clear round.

Troispony
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:06 PM
Cr@p. That's exactly what happened to my horse. Terrible. Just awful. My condolences to everyone involved!

My friend's horse too... right in the middle of our flat class. It was terrible just to watch. I am so very sorry for Eric and Hickstead's whole team.

AliCat
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:07 PM
How sad. Condolences to all his connections.

Coreene
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:07 PM
Flashbacks to Hap Hansen and Hai Karate. So rare, and so devastating.

klmck63
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:08 PM
Thank you, yes I was. Geez, you people are relentless!! No disrespect intended, of course. We were watching it live on USEF TV. At first I just saw him on the ground and thought he was badly injured and was horrified, then it quickly became apparent what was happening as it unfolded. Of course it is a shocking situation. Good for the riders for calling off the rest of the competition. We watched the whole thing live.

As a horse person, I am just glad he died quickly and it wasn't as I feared--he didn't suffer much. It's the people who are suffering now.

Rebecca

But would you still please change the title?

BAB
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:09 PM
RIP great horse. He died doing what he was made for and loved. Video terrible to watch. I wish I hadn't.

fair judy
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:10 PM
this should be removed from utube immediately.

bascher
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:10 PM
RIP to one of the sport's greatest. I cannot even BEGIN to imagine what Eric Lamaze must have been going through feeling his partner just fall beneath him and then having to watch the events unfold in front of him. I just cannot even imagine. I'm literally just sitting here in tears. My condolences to everyone that was involved with this absolutely fabulous horse who gave all of us some magnificent memories to remember him by. Hickstead was a champion and will always be one.

dcm
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:11 PM
RIP to a great horse, Hickstead. Condolences to his connections.

CVPeg
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:11 PM
This is really sad news, can't believe I will never be able to see him excel in the ring again. In memory this is how I would like to remember him

Winning CN International this year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVFXm...ure=plpp_video

and this great tribute done after the Olympics Olympics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPNwWwUnJ48

Thanks for posting these - I yearned to watch him in all his glory after watching that upsetting video on Youtube. Why couldn't they replay his round instead of zeroing in on the tragedy?

RIP & condolences to his connections.

Dare1
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:12 PM
OMG I can't believe it.
Canada has lost a great horse and Eric has lost his best mount.

Rest in peace Hickstead. You will be missed by many.:(

Long Spot
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:12 PM
My heart just breaks for Eric and for everyone close to the horse.

Godspeed, Hickstead. Enjoy your green fields and herds of beautiful mares.

eclipse
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:13 PM
RIP Hicksead :( it was an honour to have seen you!

MyssMyst
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:15 PM
RIP Hickstead. Thoughts and prayers headed out to his connections.

CiegoStar
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:16 PM
I got to see Hickstead in person once, last year. He was small but electric. You knew he knew he was a champion.

Very very sad, and terrible that it had to play out in public. Godspeed Hickstead.

Eye in the Sky
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:16 PM
I cannot stop crying. I loved that horse. RIP, beautiful boy. :cry:

*andi*
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:21 PM
Absolutely heartbreaking. What a tragedy. He was truly one of the best horses this sport has ever seen.

FalseImpression
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:29 PM
As sad as this is, thank God he did not have this heart attack in the middle of a jump!!! And just last week, I saw a picture of Cagney (Eric's former horse) looking wonderful in retirement at the ripe age of 31!
Hickstead was truly one of a kind!
You just want to hug Eric...

fair judy
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:32 PM

DO NOT WATCH THIS. IT IS HORRIFIC AND DISRESPECTFUL. PLEASE TAKE THIS LINK OFF COTH.

who22
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:35 PM
Totally in shock. I can't even imagine how Eric and his team are feeling. RIP Hickstead. You will never be forgotten.

ElisLove
I am so sorry to Eric for this unimaginable loss! Hickstead and Eric came to my barn to school during the Spruce Meadows Summer Series this year and it was such an honor! RIP Hickstead!

Fred
Godspeed magnificent Hickstead.

Like everyone else, I am stunned, in tears.
My condolences to his owners, Eric and all who loved this incredible horse.

naturalequus

:yes: wow

To the MAX
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:38 PM
DO NOT WATCH THIS. IT IS HORRIFIC AND DISRESPECTFUL. PLEASE TAKE THIS LINK OFF COTH.

She warned everyone what it was, and you didn't have to click the link.

naturalequus
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:39 PM

Fair Judy, I appreciated the link (though now I'm off to watch some clips of Hickstead in his glory days). If YOU don't wish to watch it, then don't watch it, simple as that!!! But you can't run around commanding the rest of us to not watch the link or to take the link off. The link is out there, the poster simply pointed us toward it and indicated caution in watching it. I don't get how it's soooo disrespectful. Not everyone might want to see it, but it's simply showing Hickstead in his last moments, how it all happened. It WAS aired live on tv....

Rubyfree
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:39 PM

I don't see anything disrespectful about it, although it is indeed horrific. The world was watching as it happened and there are those who may want to know that moment of visually, if only to *know* it. Removing the link doesn't make it un-happen or diminish the tragedy.

My heart just breaks for Eric and all the connections. Hickstead went quickly and doing what he loved; as others stated, his people are the ones suffering now. We all wish that our most sainted and spectacular partners could go peacefully in their sleep at a ripe old age after a long, well deserved retirement. It's rare to have it work out that way but rarer still to lose your mount in such a public setting. I cannot imagine their grief. :cry:

JackieBlue
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:41 PM

Yes, it's horrifying, but you lost me on the "disrespectful". Maybe I'll get flamed for this, but as heartbreaking and sad, sad, sad as this is, it occurred in public, during a live televised event. The video will more than likely remain on Youtube and it is entirely the viewer's choice whether or not to watch.
RIP Hickstead an hearty condolences to all of his people. :cry:

juniormom
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Eric and his groom, as well as anyone else involved with Hickstead. He was our horse's "over the fence" buddy a couple of years ago in Ocala. Eric and Hickstead were such a great combination! I can't even begin to imagine what all of them are going through at this moment.

FalseImpression
Fair Judy, I appreciated the link (though now I'm off to watch some clips of Hickstead in his glory days). If YOU don't wish to watch it, then don't watch it, simple as that!!! But you can't run around commanding the rest of us to not watch the link or to take the link off. The link is out there, the poster simply pointed us toward it and indicated caution in watching it. I don't get how it's soooo disrespectful. Not everyone might want to see it, but it's simply showing Hickstead in his last moments, how it all happened. It WAS aired live on tv....

ditto.

Teacup
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:43 PM
My condolences to everyone involved with this horse. He was amazing and I find myself tearing up over the loss of him.

As for the video, it was hard to watch but I'm glad I did. Hickstead was a great horse and the video of his death doesn't change his life. I found the it somewhat educational and would be interested if they choose to do a necropsy and publish the results. Of course, this is their choice and I understand if they choose to leave him as is.

Teacup
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:45 PM
[deleted double post]

KateD
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:45 PM
Hickstead was taken way too soon, he deserved the longest and happiest retirement of them all. My heart goes out to the entire team surrounding him, especially Eric. Thank you for all the great memories, Hickstead. He will forever remain my favourite show jumper!

alittlegray
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:46 PM
We do not need to censor every little thing that "offends" someone. If you are bothered by the video, don't watch it. It is that simple.

BLBGP
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:52 PM
For those that watched the video, what did someone yell at the end?

So very sad. :(

crazyhorses
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:54 PM
This is such heartbreaking news. I love Hickstead. Him and Eric made such an incredible team :(

mswillie
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:54 PM
My condolences to his people.

Eye in the Sky
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:55 PM
But would you still please change the title?

GOOD GRIEF! Why in the world does she need to change the title? Quit being so legalistic - this is about HICKSTEAD, not your hang-ups with a title!

clearound
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:56 PM
The video from today is in poor taste and should be considered disturbing to everyone. I know people have a morbid sense of curiosity but please report the video instead of watching it. I would hate to be a part of Team Hickstead and come across that video at some point. Please report the video so it can be taken down.

bascher
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:57 PM
GOOD GRIEF! Why in the world does she need to change the title? Quit being so legalistic - this is about HICKSTEAD, not your hang-ups with a title!

The current title is not what the title initially was. She did change the title from what it first was, and no one is complaining about what it currently says.

SpecialEffects
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:59 PM
How incredibly sad. RIP Hickstead ... you were one of the greatest.

Dare1
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:01 PM
The video has been pulled from youtube. Honestly though I did not see anthing wrong with posting it. It happened in front of a live audience.

Like others have said. don't watch it if you don't want to.

Annandale
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:02 PM
For those that watched the video, what did someone yell at the end?

I was also wondering this... does anyone know? I assume it was in Italian?

Tha Ridge
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:02 PM
The video from today is in poor taste and should be considered disturbing to everyone. I know people have a morbid sense of curiosity but please report the video instead of watching it. I would hate to be a part of Team Hickstead and come across that video at some point. Please report the video so it can be taken down.

Why? I would imagine that Eric will want to watch it to better understand what happened, and I also am sure the insurance company will too. It's not a matter of morbid sense of curiousity—like another poster mentioned, I watched it from an educational standpoint. I have never seen anything like that happen.

Would you care if it were a video of an average horse? Why does it spark outrage just because it's one of the stars of our sport?

Regardless, there's no need to let the thread take this turn. The video is posted and you, as an adult, can choose to watch it or not. I chose to watch it, and while it is disturbing and upsetting, I am glad I saw what happened for myself rather than relying on someone's third person account.

KateKat
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:03 PM
RIP hickstead. This is absolutely heartbreaking.

JackieBlue
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:03 PM

If we censored every "disturbing" event in life, soon we'd all need blindfolds just to walk through Wal-Mart. If you don't want to see it, don't watch it. No one, even Hickstead's personal friends is or will be forced to watch the video. It has a title, as all videos on Youtube do, which alerts viewers to the content. Who are any of us to determine what is or is not fit for the entire populace?

clearound
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:06 PM
The video has been pulled from youtube. Honestly though I did not see anthing wrong with posting it. It happened in front of a live audience.

Like others have said. don't watch it if you don't want to.

Video is still on You Tube!

Dare 1 - I am sure that if this happened to your horse, you would not want to have your horse remembered suffering like that!

wcporter
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:07 PM
I don't see anything disrespectful about it, although it is indeed horrific. The world was watching as it happened and there are those who may want to know that moment of visually, if only to *know* it. Removing the link doesn't make it un-happen or diminish the tragedy.

Thank you for articulating this.

Rel6
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:07 PM
The video has been pulled from youtube.

Nope, it hasn't.

Its none of your business if someone choses to watch it. We were warned about what it contains. I did watch it, and seeing the crowds reaction actually made me feel slightly better about the whole situation. In no way do I think it was disrespectful.

Now if Eric Lamaze contacted the video's poster and asked for it to be taken down, that would be disrespectful to ignore.

darkhorse2572
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:08 PM
Godspeed Hickstead and my most sincere condolences to all who knew, loved and respected him!

Eye in the Sky
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:11 PM
The current title is not what the title initially was. She did change the title from what it first was, and no one is complaining about what it currently says.

I saw the INITIAL title being argued over.

shiningwizard255
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:12 PM
How incredibly sad. RIP Hickstead ... you were one of the greatest.

Ditto this.

paint hunter
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:17 PM
I will always remember him from his performance at the WEG. Godspeed to a great horse and deepest condolences to his family.

Thank you for the memories.

Tamara in TN
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:18 PM
The video was very very sad.

However,grown people (and maybe even children) do not need to be sheltered from the fact that death is the natural end of life.

And sometimes death happens in front of you. Having seen horses die in all sorts of ways and places, I had never seen a heart attack that caused a death I knew of.

Now,thanks to that video, in my memory is his stride and his countenance and his step backward.

Now,should I see that again,perhaps I myself will have a better idea of what I am seeing and dealing with and maybe it will make me a better horseman in the end. <?>

Tamara

klmck63
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:18 PM

Yes, thank-you. I found the original title offensive and unthoughtful and was upset to see it. Like I said before, Hickstead as a truly incredible animal and deserves our utmost respect- the previous title didn't indicate that. Absolutely no qualms with the new one.

MistyPony
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:20 PM
Why? I would imagine that Eric will want to watch it to better understand what happened, and I also am sure the insurance company will too. It's not a matter of morbid sense of curiousity—like another poster mentioned, I watched it from an educational standpoint. I have never seen anything like that happen.

Would you care if it were a video of an average horse? Why does it spark outrage just because it's one of the stars of our sport?

Regardless, there's no need to let the thread take this turn. The video is posted and you, as an adult, can choose to watch it or not. I chose to watch it, and while it is disturbing and upsetting, I am glad I saw what happened for myself rather than relying on someone's third person account.

This. I can't speak for Eric since I don't know him, but my horse went down EXACTLY like this and it was helpful for me to watch the video to understand better what happened to my horse. I completely understand why many (perhaps even most) people would not want to watch the video, but I hope that those people will try to understand how the video can help others who might choose to watch it.

I also ditto the request that the thread not take this turn and we try to remain supportive of Hickstead's team in this time of grief.

Kyzteke
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:22 PM
this should be removed from utube immediately.

Why? This society has enough phobias about death & dying as it is. It will come to us all and his was quick and (relatively) painless. I would judge he was gone within 2 mins of his collapse.

And maybe it's important to see what these lovely animals do for us, and how, at times, they pay the ultimate price. I don't see a problem with people knowing this in a very real and graphic way.

He was a grand, grand animal and a true champion...poor Eric.

bascher
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:23 PM
I also ditto the request that the thread not take this turn and we try to remain supportive of Hickstead's team in this time of grief.

Completely agreed. There is no need for arguments to be happening on this thread. Rather, let's remember a truly remarkable athlete and support a team who is going through a devastating time.

betonbill
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:29 PM
This. I can't speak for Eric since I don't know him, but my horse went down EXACTLY like this and it was helpful for me to watch the video to understand better what happened to my horse. I completely understand why many (perhaps even most) people would not want to watch the video, but I hope that those people will try to understand how the video can help others who might choose to watch it.

I was riding with a friend and the exact thing happened to her horse. I also thought that it was helpful to watch the video.

That said, condolences to all involved. He was indeed a wonderful horse. The only good thing is that he didn't know what hit him. We should all be so lucky to go out that way in the middle of doing something that we love.

ToiRider
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:31 PM

It is horrific, but when you put the link in quotes, then it makes it even more difficult to remove. YOU have to remove the link from your quote!!

RIP sweet horse.

Dare1
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:32 PM

Dare 1 - I am sure that if this happened to your horse, you would not want to have your horse remembered suffering like that!

Sorry I was told the video had been pulled.
My horse is not a world and Olympic champion that suffered a heart attack at a televised event.
It certainly was horrific watching the video but as someone else said it may be a learning tool for others sometime in their lives and the vets or insurance may want to watch the video to determine what happened.
Anyway my condolences to Eric and all that worked with Hickstead. He was my favourite showjumper and I loved to watch him and Eric compete.

ms raven
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:33 PM
He was born in 1996. Too young. However, like everyone always said about him - it was his huge heart, not his body, that made him so incredible. These type dont come along very often, and dont stay with us long enough. :(

So well said. My heart goes out to Eric and all of Hickstead's friends, connections and fans. This is a terrible loss, my heart is broken.

R.I.P Hickstead!! You are a hero, you were golden, amazing, magnificent and will never be forgotten!

Flypony
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:41 PM
What I think is truly disturbing is the childish behavior causing a train wreck over wanting to inflict your own opinion of what is PC way of telling the events that happened. A very tragic end to a brilliant horse, lets not fight. If only out of respect.
Go in peace Hickstead , we will forever remember your brilliance .

Renn/aissance
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:43 PM
Godspeed Hickstead. You were a great one. Condolences to all of his people.

kinnip
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:46 PM
This is so sad. He was such an amazing little fella. He really captured my heart, and my imagination. Their rides seemed so exhilarating that I felt like I was taking every jump with them. I'm pretty sure I even popped a couple of wheelies in my computer chair. My heart goes out to Eric. This must be devastating.

Carolinadreamin'
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:47 PM
Godspeed Hickstead. You were a great one. Condolences to all of his people.

Well said. Rest in peace.

ShadowDansere
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:53 PM
RIP Hickstead.

SSacky
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:56 PM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/269496_10150228552631207_28517926206_7681159_21668 19_n.jpg

Thought I'd share this picture. Can't count the number of times you'd see Eric credit his horse.

Kenike
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:00 PM
Godspeed, Hickstead. You were SO fun to watch, and it was absolutely obvious how much Eric and your other people adored & loved you.

Just one day after my little boy said he wants to ride "the way you do, momma," because he's always wanted to fly, and jumping horses fly. This is a tough. Hickstead always looked like he had wings instead of feet....

Thanks for the memories.....

DeeThbd
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:00 PM
Warmest wishes to all of his connections....it is truly heartbreaking that they have to go through this.
I agree with the fact that we should be able to recognize the signs of an equine heart attack; I have seen one once - a gelding by the same sire as my senior gelding - coming off the track during morning training. The rider knew what was happening and was able to jump clear and get the horse clear of other riders. Knowing what to look for may help coaches with younger riders avert disaster in the rare case that it were to happen to them while riding.
Dee

bascher
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:02 PM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/269496_10150228552631207_28517926206_7681159_21668 19_n.jpg

Thought I'd share this picture. Can't count the number of times you'd see Eric credit his horse.

That photo gave me chills. It's so wonderful to know that Eric and Hickstead had this sort of partnership.

I hope you don't mind if I repost this on FB. I just think it's such a beautiful tribute to a special pair.

cloudyandcallie
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:03 PM
OMG. Hickstead was a terrific jumper.

I was just telling someone the other day how one minute you are on top the world with your horse, and the next minute your horse is dead. (Someone whose horse was #1 at a recent inspection just lost the horse last week to some mysterious illness.)

He was a great jumper.
I'm not viewing the video, as I saw the, forget which racehorse it was, being held outside of his shedrow at a track, and the horse just fell over dead.

MintHillFarm
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:07 PM
So very sad for all his family, fans and the show jumping world. He gave his all every time he went in the arena...

I feel so badly for all his connections. RIP, Hickstead. You are and alway will be a legend.

littleum
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:08 PM
Warmest wishes to all of his connections....it is truly heartbreaking that they have to go through this.
I agree with the fact that we should be able to recognize the signs of an equine heart attack; I have seen one once - a gelding by the same sire as my senior gelding - coming off the track during morning training. The rider knew what was happening and was able to jump clear and get the horse clear of other riders. Knowing what to look for may help coaches with younger riders avert disaster in the rare case that it were to happen to them while riding.
Dee

This.

I am choked up about the death, being a fan and admirer of both horse and rider. But I watched the video, and having never seen a horse go down with a heart attack, I found it educational. I feel like perhaps the clarity of the moment might give other people some knowledge that - God forbid- might help them if they ever find themselves in the same scenario. If nothing else, you see "This is what happens, and this is how top handlers handle it" (And that is a valuable lesson!)

Dune
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:10 PM
RIP Hickstead and condolences to all of "his people".:cry: I did find the video to be educational, helpful, even especially since I had one go down recently (my "get-off" wasn't so athletic) but what I would really love to see is his round before the collapse. Did he look all right? I have to also add that we just lost a good friend (human) to a massive heart attack and it's just tragic how they are here one minute and gone the next.:(

Tha Ridge
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:13 PM
If nothing else, you see "This is what happens, and this is how top handlers handle it" (And that is a valuable lesson!)

Exactly. Eric handled it beautifully—held the reins, stayed a safe distance from flying hooves, and remained very, very calm.

Here's another lovely photo of Hickstead that I adore: http://chronofhorse.com/photos_videos?nid=29420#29423

And another: http://chronofhorse.com/photos_videos?nid=29420#29431

bascher
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:15 PM
RIP Hickstead and condolences to all of "his people".:cry: I did find the video to be educational, helpful, even especially since I had one go down recently (my "get-off" wasn't so athletic) but what I would really love to see is his round before the collapse. Did he look all right? I have to also add that we just lost a good friend (human) to a massive heart attack and it's just tragic how they are here one minute and gone the next.:(

I was also curious as to how his round was. Not that it matters in the scheme of things, but I'm just curious if anyone who was watching the livefeed could tell us? Hickstead was an amazing little horse with huge determination and all of us are lucky to have been able to watch him and Eric compete!

Kenike
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:18 PM
He went clear.

rebecca yount
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:19 PM
He had one rail down, 4 faults.

Tamara in TN
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:20 PM
I agree with the fact that we should be able to recognize the signs of an equine heart attack;.
Dee

using this as an example, think of the first time you* saw ringbone...advanced shuffling painful ringbone and had to have someone say to you "that is ringbone" or navicular or a broken bone or a blind spot in an eye or whatever...I bet you never forgot.

all the textbook words in the world fairly useless with horses being living things unless you see it with your eyes.

Tamara
*you in the generic of course

ASB Stars
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:23 PM
I am just at a loss- what an amazing athlete and competitor this horse was. Just a tiger around a course- leaping, and looking on to the next obstacle- he was just one of the best the world will ever see.

Please do not look at this, if it is hard for you, but I feel like there is just a moment where Hickstead looks at Eric, in the midst of all of this, and it is his goodbye...moves me to tears, knowing it is their last moment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1zWNF6IaV8

bascher
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:23 PM
Exactly. Eric handled it beautifully—held the reins, stayed a safe distance from flying hooves, and remained very, very calm.

Here's another lovely photo of Hickstead that I adore: http://chronofhorse.com/photos_videos?nid=29420#29423

And another: http://chronofhorse.com/photos_videos?nid=29420#29431

Beautiful :)

FalseImpression
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:24 PM
The press release I read said he went clear, the witness says he had a rail. I know on FB, "Eric" posted yesterday that they had a rail... sigh... It does not matter any more.

The release also said there would be a necropsy in the next few days.
Eric, be strong... I hope you have all the support you need.

JackieBlue
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:24 PM

By the time he began seizing, and possibly even before, he was completely unaware. He died very quickly, very little suffering and I would have no issue with the video if it were my own horse. But then, I'm a realist and opposed to censorship of any kind.

Kenike
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:27 PM
My apologies. As it's been stated already, the press release and the stories from various sources all say he went clear. Other people are saying he had a rail.

bascher
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:29 PM
The press release I read said he went clear, the witness says he had a rail. I know on FB, "Eric" posted yesterday that they had a rail... sigh... It does not matter any more.

The release also said there would be a necropsy in the next few days.
Eric, be strong... I hope you have all the support you need.

Just read the updated press release on COTH...it also says four faults. "Drawn 22nd of the 39 on the startlist, the Canadian partnership had just completed Rolf Ludi’s 13-fence track with a single rail down in the middle of the combination..." I know it doesn't matter anymore :sadsmile: but I was just curious.

Thank you everyone who has been posting these lovely pictures of Eric and Hickstead that show what a special partnership they had.

Secret Dove
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:37 PM
Wow. I'm in shock. Very, very ,very sad day for Eric, his team, Team Canada & show jumping world wide. At least Hickstead went quick and didn't suffer. That's the best way for our equine partners to go, IMO. My heart and condolences go out to Eric, his team and Team Canada for losing such a magnificent horse. :(

RoyalTRider
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:37 PM
After falling, when Hickstead rests his head for the first time, it was (in my eyes) very peaceful, very determined.

It made me think that regardless of this great tragedy, it was not a bad way for Hickstead to leave... terrible for his people, but for Hickstead doing what he loved and with no long-term suffering.

My condolences to this great horse's team, and for all grieving their equine partners today.

Kinsella
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:42 PM
My favorite photo from WEG... (http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/316695_10150359725581713_511691712_8596887_5564233 5_n.jpg)

RIP Hickstead. Condolences to his people. :(

overthemoon
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:45 PM
If anyone would like to see his final course, a video can be found at the following link (no graphic footage is featured, just his course).

http://events.sja.it/jumpinglive/classifica.aspx?concorso=136&n_premio=8#

Such a tragic loss to the horse community, and even more so to all those close to Hickstead. Rest easy boy, you were one of a kind.

TatteredDaydreamer
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:45 PM
This is just tragic, incredibly sad and certainly heart wrenching. I can't begin to imagine what Eric is going through, as I'm even crying as I watch the video and had no connection to him. RIP Hickstead, you'll be forever remembered as one of the best. :(

sansibar
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:54 PM
Rest in peace Hickstead, I cannot believe about the passing of such a legend. THis horse was truly a star. This horse has left hoof-prints in the hearts of the equestrian community all across the world. The gravity defying action of these two was just amazing and truly unimaginable. The impact this horse also had on the training and breeding of horses throughout all of Europe was just amazing as well.

There will never be another one like him, and my condolences go out to Torrey Pine Stables and Ashland Farms, and all of the connections to this outstanding horse.

My heart is aching today.

I was on my way to the barn as I found this out, when I got there I gave my girl a great big hug.

KitKat987
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:56 PM
I am heartbroken. RIP Hickstead. You were simply amazing.

I was lucky enough to meet Hickstead in September. I am so glad that I did :(

ohrebecca
Nov. 6, 2011, 03:11 PM
How heartbreaking for Eric and all of his connections, as well as the showjumping world... Hickstead was magnificent.

I did watch the video, and while it was indeed horrific, I too watched it from an educational standpoint. I've never in my life been present for a horse's death (natural or otherwise) so while my heart was wrenching in my chest for all involved, it was also a learning experience for me.

Resquiat in pacem, Hickstead.

Foxtrot's
Nov. 6, 2011, 03:13 PM
Heartbreaking. Magnificent pair.

Story is already on Chronicle of the Horse.

Foxtrot's
Nov. 6, 2011, 03:22 PM
Eric was humble and always gave full credit to his horse and owners. These posted pictures show how he loved the horse and had that wonderful connection as a team.

AHorseSomeDay
Nov. 6, 2011, 03:26 PM
RIP Hickstead. :cry: The world loss a great athlete. My condolences to Eric and to his owners.

pinkpony321
Nov. 6, 2011, 03:26 PM
Always thank your horses- you never know when they might leave you.

Godspeed to this wonderful, determined athlete. He was certainly one in a million.

bkkone
Nov. 6, 2011, 03:31 PM
Please do not look at this, if it is hard for you, but I feel like there is just a moment where Hickstead looks at Eric, in the midst of all of this, and it is his goodbye...moves me to tears, knowing it is their last moment...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1zWNF6IaV8

It totally looks like Hickstead looked right a Eric for that last moment..very moving and sad :( Rest in Peace Great One....

Sabovee
Nov. 6, 2011, 03:36 PM
If anyone would like to see his final course, a video can be found at the following link (no graphic footage is featured, just his course).

Such a tragic loss to the horse community, and even more so to all those close to Hickstead. Rest easy boy, you were one of a kind.

Has anyone got any other video sources for his round? I can't open this one for some reason and would like to see his final round - not looking for the graphic stuff, just his round...

Addison
Nov. 6, 2011, 03:41 PM
Rest in peace, Hickstead.

alto
Nov. 6, 2011, 03:45 PM
Has anyone got any other video sources for his round? I can't open this one for some reason and would like to see his final round - not looking for the graphic stuff, just his round...
You need to allow the site to run a Windows Media Extention.

Temecula Jumper
Nov. 6, 2011, 03:50 PM
Rest in peace Hickstead, you will never be forgotten. And thoughts and prayers to all of his fans and connections.

La Gringa
Nov. 6, 2011, 04:14 PM
I was so sad to see this on Facebook this morning. So sad. Eric and Hickstead will be remembered as one of the all time great Equestrian Teams.. Legendary Horse..

Words cannot really express this great tragedy today.

WB Mom
Nov. 6, 2011, 04:19 PM
Another reminder of how fleeting life can be, and how precious.
Go home and hug your family, friends and animals!
Godspeed Hickstead. I'm sure you jumped over that Rainbow Bridge...

SuperSTB
Nov. 6, 2011, 04:40 PM
RIP Hickstead. Damn he was a great horse. What a loss to his team that loves his and to the sport.

Agreed! Sorry folks but tragedy does happen in the horse world. I am glad the video was posted even thouh it is tough and heartbreaking it is to watch.

theinstigator
Nov. 6, 2011, 04:42 PM
:( I can't even imagine.

Rest well Hickstead, you will be sorely missed.

Hunter/JumperMom
Nov. 6, 2011, 04:53 PM

Thank you - I see nothing wrong with the title of this post as it is exactly what happened.

But to show the video! Just sickening! At least cut the death and emotions for now. What kind of horseperson would even post the video on youtube, let alone put the link on here! Disgusting! Give Eric and his group some respect.

Tribute videos, go for it, but from the discription of what I am reading here, remove it.

BLBGP
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:02 PM
Thank you - I see nothing wrong with the title of this post as it is exactly what happened.

But to show the video! Just sickening! At least cut the death and emotions for now. What kind of horseperson would even post the video on youtube, let alone put the link on here! Disgusting! Give Eric and his group some respect.

Tribute videos, go for it, but from the discription of what I am reading here, remove it.

Perhaps you didn't read the whole thread but the title you see now was changed from the original. No one has a problem with the current title. And most people are trying to keep this thread on-track for what it is meant for: to celebrate an amazing horse.

redlight
They were such a fantastic pair to watch. Eric was so appreciative of Hickstead and I always enjoyed how, after a clean round, he would point down to Hickstead to give him the credit. For a little horse he could jump the moon.

So sad. Condolences to all of Hickstead's connections.

GingerJumper
Rest in peace, and Godspeed Hickstead. Jingles to Eric Lamaze & all those involved. What a tragic loss.

bascher
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:03 PM
This thread should not deal with arguing or fighting; as stated several pages back, this thread should really be for the memory of Hickstead and his amazing partnership with Eric Lamaze.

Don't watch the video if you don't want to, a better way to express your sadness and dismay over the untimely death of an amazing horse would be to post memories, pictures, etc, NOT bring up arguments from pages back.

bascher
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:04 PM
And most people are trying to keep this thread on-track for what it is meant for: to celebrate an amazing horse.

You beat me to it! Agreed :yes:

wanderlust
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:10 PM
Godspeed, Hickstead. You brought many of us joy watching your fantastic journey with Eric, thank you both for allowing us to ride along with you.

I did not find the video to be disturbing nor horrific. He went down gently, seized mildly, and passed quickly with his people around him. Eric was not physically injured. Just very sad, and as teary as it makes me, I think Hickstead suffered very little if at all.

Tuesday's Child
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:16 PM
I heard about this from a friend this morning just before going to the barn, but couldn't find enough information online to verify if it was true.

My heart is breaking for Eric and all those connected with this incredible horse. I will never forget watching his winning round at the Beijing Olympics - my mom and I were crying like babies by the end. Ditto their CN International win at Spruce Meadows this summer. Watching that horse go gave me chills he was so good, and they were such an inspiration.

RIP Hickstead, you will be sorely missed.

Jeito
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:16 PM
R.I.P. Hickstead :cry: There are no words.

I want to make a brief comment about the video. It showed up on my Facebook feed, and I decided not to watch it. Then I read the comments here, which made my imagination go wild (by those screaming about taking down the video), and I couldn't get it out of my head. The video wasn't sickening. Death was mercifully quick. The passing of this great horse is tragic :cry:

Polydor
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:17 PM
Godspeed Hickstead

Heartbreaking to hear this. Massive condolences to his people. Big hugs to Eric and his groom.

Hope his foals live up to his big hoof prints.

P.

blondebates
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:27 PM
how sad, what a phenomenal horse. Eric will be haunted by this for months poor guy :no:.

This a beautiful tribute of him I hope Eric can remember him like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiaExy_rv5c&feature=youtu.be

cadance
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:28 PM
this thread is growing by the second. just saw it posted on a friend's FB page who watched it live....i'm seriously disturbed by that video. hopefully it was relatively painless and fast...at least he was doing what he loved. RIP.

ASB Stars
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:45 PM
how sad, what a phenomenal horse. Eric will be haunted by this for months poor guy :no:.

This a beautiful tribute of him I hope Eric can remember him like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiaExy_rv5c&feature=youtu.be

Beautiful video- just stunning! Thanks!

SarahandSam
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:46 PM
I did watch the video, just to see what happened exactly--it's not gruesome and it seemed like a fairly quick and peaceful end, but it was heartbreaking to see that particular moment between horse and rider. It sure made me want to give all my pets an extra big squeeze.

Rest in peace, Hickstead... he was a truly amazing horse.

Molly Sorge
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:46 PM
Hi guys,

I just updated the story at www.chronofhorse.com (http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/hickstead-gone) with a quote from Eric.

Anyone who ever saw Hickstead in action will remember his verve, steely determination and boundless athleticism. I feel honored to have photographer and written about some of his biggest wins, and I will mourn him. He and Eric fit together like hand to glove.

Let's remember him with respect, admiration, and thanks for his special gifts.

Molly Sorge

M. Owen
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:53 PM
Horribly sad and what a loss to the horse world.

JGHIRETIRE
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:54 PM
RIP Hickstead and my condolences to Eric and the team.
My heart goes out to all of you at this sad time.

bascher
Nov. 6, 2011, 06:05 PM
Hi guys,

I just updated the story at www.chronofhorse.com (http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/hickstead-gone) with a quote from Eric.

Anyone who ever saw Hickstead in action will remember his verve, steely determination and boundless athleticism. I feel honored to have photographer and written about some of his biggest wins, and I will mourn him. He and Eric fit together like hand to glove.

Let's remember him with respect, admiration, and thanks for his special gifts.

Molly Sorge

Thank you. The quote from Eric just kills me. I can't even begin to imagine what he is going through, but clearly they were a special, special team.

To the person who mentioned he always acknowledged Hickstead by pointing down to him (which I think is so wonderful), someone posted a picture of that earlier in this thread! Just a beautiful thing for him to do!

HorsesinHaiti
Nov. 6, 2011, 06:22 PM

Wow. First stride to last of the actual round, Hickstead looks happy and full of impulsion and I can't see any sign that he feels off - and seconds later he went down -

'heart attacks' in horses are actually aterial ruptures, correct? Not a blockage but a sudden, massive bleedout from an artery wall failing?

Laurierace
Nov. 6, 2011, 06:27 PM
Horses do not have blocked arteries causing a myocardial infarction like a human does so they don't have what we generally consider to be a heart attack. Arrhythmia or aortic rupture are common causes in equines.

alicen
Nov. 6, 2011, 06:27 PM
Hickstead at the Olympics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBeg3NO-9Uw

Hickstead 2010 WEG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD13PLawec8

wanderlust
Nov. 6, 2011, 06:28 PM
'heart attacks' in horses are actually aterial ruptures, correct? Not a blockage but a sudden, massive bleedout from an artery wall failing? I believe so, something to that effect. Deltawave on this board, who is a human cardiologist in real life, had posted about it on the eventing board previously.

This is all so very sad. I think Hickstead might have been just about the coolest horse to ever walk this planet.

goosejumps
Nov. 6, 2011, 06:31 PM
Godspeed lovely Hickstead. Thank you for inspiring us to soar ever higher.

Addison
Nov. 6, 2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the post Molly.

HorsesinHaiti
Nov. 6, 2011, 06:40 PM
Horses do not have blocked arteries causing a myocardial infarction like a human does so they don't have what we generally consider to be a heart attack. Arrhythmia or aortic rupture are common causes in equines.

That's what Deltawave has posted about ruptures re: he eventing cases and the cardio study. Can they now detect Arrhythmia as a definitive cause in cases like these, or is it just 'the most likely suspect' when no cause can be found.

Eric and company will be waiting for the necropsy no doubt.
:cry::cry:((((((((((HHHUUUGGGSSS)))))))))):cry::cr y: :cry: to them from the COTH fans.

luchiamae
Nov. 6, 2011, 06:42 PM
RIP Hickstead, you were so so brave and I cannot imagine how hard you must have tried during that round, like you always did.

I was just about to order some of his semen for my mare :(

danceronice
Nov. 6, 2011, 06:43 PM
I'm actually glad for the video, cuts out the speculating and blowing the situation out of the water. (News flash: the horse is the one who died, and he wouldn't care. He wouldn't even understand.) I just saw this in "Other Sports" on a figure-skating forum before I came in here today and I came here specifically because they were making it sound like he had a massive seizure and was suffering horribly, and that's not what I saw in the link in ASB Stars's post, which is reassuring. (And frankly, given some of the 'related video' titles that came out on youtube, this is tasteful and restrained--really, "GIRL DIES IN RIDING ACCIDENT--MUST WATCH!!!"?)

Poor thing, and poor Eric. He must be shattered.

MoonLadyIsis
Nov. 6, 2011, 06:44 PM
Rest in peace Hickstead, you will never be forgotten. Now you can buck, play and jump without earthly boundaries. Many jingles for Eric, his team and everyone in involved. The equestrian world mourns this great loss. :cry:

vxf111
Nov. 6, 2011, 07:00 PM
This so sudden and shocking. RIP :(

rockfordbuckeye
Nov. 6, 2011, 07:04 PM
I think they are describing an aortic aneurysm or aortic dissection:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aortic_aneurysm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aortic_dissection

Either of which is possible.

Vetvivi
Nov. 6, 2011, 07:29 PM
So tragic. My heart and condolences go out to Eric and all of the people who loved this special horse.

VCT
Nov. 6, 2011, 07:43 PM

I was doing okay until I looked at this photo. :cry:

I feel so badly for all of the people who cared for Hickstead. RIP brave boy... :cry:

hntrjmprpro45
Nov. 6, 2011, 07:43 PM
What a heartbreaking loss for the show jumping world and so devastating for Eric and his team. My deepest sympathies to all of Hickstead's "people".

AHorseSomeDay
Nov. 6, 2011, 07:51 PM
The New York Times wrote an article about what happened. Here is the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/sports/hickstead-star-show-jumping-horse-dies-during-competition.html?_r=1

DarkStarrx
Nov. 6, 2011, 07:57 PM
RIP big boy.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/378631_10150370394363280_234374783279_8092471_1319 692205_n.jpg
^Final photo taken.

my_doran
Nov. 6, 2011, 07:57 PM
OMG..thats terrible,i cant imagine what eric is feeling and thinking right now too.

Nike13
Nov. 6, 2011, 08:00 PM
My heart goes out to Hickstead's people. What a sad day. I lost my mare a few years ago to what we suspected was a heart attack. No one saw it happen, but she was found stuck on her back in a stock tank, alive, but neurologic. She died before I could get there. As painful as the video was, I can now see how she went over backwards like she did. I have wondered for three years if I missed something leading up to that day, but I now realize just how unexpected an event like this can be. Prayers for those who loved him.

ddashaq
Nov. 6, 2011, 08:06 PM
Godspeed, Hickstead. My thoughts are with his people.:(

Gunnar
Nov. 6, 2011, 08:11 PM
Boy that was rough. Godspeed to you little man. You were a sight to behold. Gallop free with Bodie and Gunnar. Love you Hickstead. Hugs to Eric and all who loved you.

shwjmp
Godspeed, Hickstead. What a tragic loss. My heart is breaking for Eric and his groom. :(

wildlifer
Eric is so lucky to have had the chance to be the partner of a legend. I am sure he treasures that. Someone wisely once told me, "You never know which ride will be your last one," and I've always kept that close to my heart and valued each time I get to sit in the saddle. My condolences to all involved for this unexpected loss. Hickstead's brilliant star will indeed be missed.

Guin
Nov. 6, 2011, 08:15 PM
Does anyone know what the woman was calling out in Italian at the end? :no:

Bugs-n-Frodo
Nov. 6, 2011, 08:25 PM
How tragic. I just can't imagine how Eric must feel. RIP Hickstead! I am SOOO very sorry for all those who loved this horse. I just can't imagine.

Losgelassenheit
Nov. 6, 2011, 08:26 PM
No words to describe how shocked and saddened I am hearing this news. :no: My sincerest, heartfelt condolences to Eric and all of the incredible Hickstead's connections. You are all in our thoughts & prayers, just as Hickstead will, I'm sure, always be in our hearts.

Godspeed to one of the most amazing and inspiring equine athletes I've ever had the privilege to watch compete. Rest in peace.

Tha Ridge
Nov. 6, 2011, 08:34 PM
The New York Times wrote an article about what happened. Here is the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/sports/hickstead-star-show-jumping-horse-dies-during-competition.html?_r=1

Does anyone else find it offensive that the author of the NY Times story alludes to drugging near the end? I thought that was in bad taste, even if it is possible.

AHorseSomeDay
Nov. 6, 2011, 08:37 PM
Does anyone else find it offensive that the author of the NY Times story alludes to drugging near the end? I thought that was in bad taste, even if it is possible.

I agree with you. I am not sure why they always have to bring out the negativity. :no:

SolarFlare
Nov. 6, 2011, 08:49 PM
My country mourns the loss of one of the greatest show jumpers to ever compete.

Hickstead was the kind of horse that just drew your eye to him - impossible to look away when he was on course.

I remember watching the Beijing Olympics live feed, and cheering and screaming him on to the gold medal. The whole country was so proud of him and Eric.

RIP Hickstead.

Tiramit
Nov. 6, 2011, 08:51 PM
Rest in peace, dear Hickstead. It was a pleasure to watch you repeatedly show the world "how it's done" over monster courses in the toughest company. I'll never forget your winning trips in the WEG and Olympics, but it was your heart and try over every fence you jumped that won everyone's hearts. You were magnificent and were one of the very best ever!

My condolences to Eric and all of Hickstead's connections. I lost a much-loved mare in split second accident and feel for anyone experiencing that kind of confusion and sorrow. :cry:

caryledee
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:00 PM

Completely agree. Why would someone even bring that up before a necropsy? PETA will be all over that one.

I saw a horse at Rolex (Boucane I believe) die exactly the same way. Came off the bank, fell, rolled, and had the same type spasms. I always wondered what had happened, but now I know. :( I remember with Boucane, it was shocking to watch, but it was over very quickly. I don't think he was aware of anything once the spasms started.

RIP Hickstead, I doubt there will ever be another like you. :cry:

Losgelassenheit
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:01 PM
Just posting this here, as I found it to be such a beautiful, moving tribute that I felt captured SO much of Hickstead's spirit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBfdqnLPHeo

Nothing graphic -- just the happy memories. Though I will say I also did watch "the" footage, and while it does put one's heart in one's throat as I can only expect it would for anyone who loves these animals, it was an opportunity to witness a rare occurrence from a knowledge-based standpoint, and as someone else had mentioned, to see how the best of the best handled it.

Emy
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:01 PM

Absolutely. Why on earth this writer felt it was important to throw Clembuterol (Ventipulmin) into this amazing horses obituary is beyond me. The way they speak of it being used and then tapered off insinuates a underhandedness to the non-horse public and has no place in a story about this stallion today.

Tap2Tango
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:04 PM

Yea, WTF?

Guin
Absolutely. Why on earth this writer felt it was important to throw Clembuterol (Ventipulmin) into this amazing horses obituary is beyond me. The way they speak of it being used and then tapered off insinuates a underhandedness to the non-horse public and has no place in a story about this stallion today.

Very inappropriate for the article. That's just wild speculation and completely offensive.

MoonLadyIsis

totally agree. It was uncalled for and should not have even been mentioned unless it was mentioned in the necropsy results....

Zu Zu
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:05 PM
Thoughts and prayers and hugs for all involved in his glorious life ``

RIP `` Hickstead

Always a CHAMPION ```

fooler
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:08 PM
God speed to Hickstead. Condolences the Eric and his team.

CiegoStar
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:11 PM

It wasn't nice, but I am sure the author (no doubt not horsey) asked the vet quoted what might lead to a catastrophic event like this. I just wish they had also alluded to the fact that it can happen 100 percent naturally to any horse as well.

ThatScaryChick
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:13 PM
Rest in peace, Hickstead. :(

And condolences to Eric, the owners and the rest of the team that worked alongside Hickstead.

piaffequeen
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:14 PM
Condolances to all that were involved with Hickstead.

RIP Hickstead

Rel6
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:19 PM

I literally just came on to this thread to see if anyone had reacted similarly to me. Perhaps someone could inform them of how leading the article sounds?

M. O'Connor
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:27 PM

It was a pretty sudden non-sequitor, and it just seemed odd to mention Clenbuterol/Ventipulmin--albuterol can cause over stimulation, which renders it fairly undesirable for show horses unless there is a definite medical reason for it to be used. Don't know if he had respriratory issues, but Hickstead certainly didn't seem to require any additional stimulation!

M. O'Connor
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:29 PM
I normally will comment or try to contact the writer when information like that seems to be improperly used, but there was no link on the story that I could see.

Geneva
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:30 PM
Does anyone else find it offensive that the author of the NY Times story alludes to drugging near the end? I thought that was in bad taste, even if it is possible.Yes, I already tore them a new one over it. Please do the same. nytnews@nytimes.com

Tha Ridge
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:31 PM
I literally just came on to this thread to see if anyone had reacted similarly to me. Perhaps someone could inform them of how leading the article sounds?

I know someone at the sports desk at the Times, but don't know the author of that particular story. Maybe I will send an e-mail... It just gives our sport a black eye when a non-horsey person reads that and goes "Oh, the horse was doped..."

LittleGray
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:32 PM
I had to crawl out from under my rock to express my deepest condolences to everyone involved with this awesome horse. I still remember being in tears watching him win the individual gold at the 08' Olympics. The love, and appreciation that Eric showed for Hickstead was always very apparent. Loved that about that team.

RIP Hickstead, you were always a thrill to watch.

Tha Ridge
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:36 PM
I'm searching for the Times e-mail for the author, but I did find her on Twitter. I tweeted at her asking for that graf to be removed; perhaps COTHers can do the same.

Her Twitter is http://api.twitter.com/#!/sarahmaslinnir

She does have a tweet that says "I'm not going to post video, but the footage of the Olympic horse Hickstead dying of a heart attack televised at the World Cup is insane." So.... since she thought it was the World Cup, she's obviously not that horsey.

Another e-mail: Sarah.Maslin.Nir@gmail.com

Geneva
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:39 PM
It was a World Cup qualifier (CSI-W), so part of the World Cup Series.

bhebert19
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:40 PM
RIP - Beautiful Hickstead... You will be greatly missed... You were amazing to say the least... Sad day... Godspeed...

Tha Ridge
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:41 PM
It was a World Cup qualifier (CSI-W), so part of the World Cup Series.

True, but I don't think a real show jumping fan would refer to it as "the World Cup."

bascher
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:48 PM
I also reacted the same way when I read the article. VERY disappointing.

Lord Helpus
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:49 PM
As far as I know, Clenbuterol is not advantageous to 99% of jumpers. Racehorses, yes -- they need open airways and lungs which will fully expand. The racing authorities have had to really go after on its illegal use.

So, not only did this stupid author not know what she was talking about, she didn't even know the difference between a racehorse and a show jumper.

It is especially appalling that the NYT is allowing such shoddy and sensationalist journalism among its writers.

Reddfox
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:50 PM
I also want to express my sadness over the loss of this amazing athlete and condolences for all of team Hickstead.

I also did write an email to that asshat of a writer that managed to cast doubt into peoples' minds about the purity of the stallion's performances and the care the team gave to him. That non-sequitor had NO place in the obituary of such an amazing athlete.

Laurierace
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:51 PM
Clenbutrol is often used off label for it's anabolic properties. I haven't heard any rumblings of it causing any health problems however so even if he were using it I don't think it would have contributed. Ridiculous and tasteless imo.

bascher
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:51 PM
And since I'm currently studying veterinary respiratory drugs for a test tomorrow, I will add this in: Clenbuterol, while long thought to be be a performance enhancer for horses due to its beta-two adrenergic agonist actions and is banned by the FEI, has been show in studies to diminish aerobic capacity and performance in horses. Therefore, there would really be no point in using this drug in attempt to cheat anyway.

danceronice
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:59 PM
Classy as always, NY Times...

ElisLove
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:59 PM
Does anyone have video of all the riders in the ring giving Hickstead a moment of silence after deciding that they would no longer compete in the class? I would love to see such a touching moment that they all gave to Eric and Hickstead.

PonyLady29
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:02 PM

Just a heads up (i'm not saying drugs were involved in this case) But straight fro ma friend in Italy apparently drugging is out of control. It has been in their news daily about horses being drug for this competition and horses being pulled because of the drugs. So as horrible as saying that they could be involved here (I doubt it is the case) but I see how the media is jumping to that conclusion. This is a sad and tragic end to an absolutely incredible horse. My head goes out to Eric and his team.

CiegoStar
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:07 PM
Not to get this too far off topic, but I was wondering why the reporter's name rang a bell. Turns out she's a NYT legacy - her mother is longtime reviewer Janet Maslin.

I did think overall the article was less well written than most NYT stories. But you have to understand that general assignment writers have to quickly research and write stories on topics they knew nothing about when they woke up that morning. I could see someone with only a glancing knowledge of horses going to the drug angle, since it is so prevalent in horse racing, which gets a lot more coverage than show jumping.

HorseLuvr
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:13 PM
Does anyone know what the woman was calling out in Italian at the end? :no:

A horrible, terrible, tragedy of one of the greatest show jumpers of our era. Major condolences to Eric and his team. So, so sad and shocking. Such a beautiful and amazing horse. He loved his job and he loved to win!

I am not positive, but I believe the lady at the end is yelling "you are ruining the life of those horses." What a dumb****! A horrible thing to say after such a tragic moment.

Tha Ridge
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:13 PM
Not to get this too far off topic, but I was wondering why the reporter's name rang a bell. Turns out she's a NYT legacy - her mother is longtime reviewer Janet Maslin.

Well, the author herself is also formerly of the Daily News and New York magazine, if that tells you anything... (The Daily News is not exactly a bastion of thorough, fair reporting.)

Lazy-Pony
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:21 PM
Very sad news indeed. My thoughts are with Mr. Lamaze and all who knew this truly lovely horse, Hickstead.

It is also most unfortunate when some individuals choose to cast an unfavorable light on the ethics of our sport. Tisk tisk. There are far better times to do so. Very disappointing, Ms. Maslin Nir.

Lone
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:25 PM
Does anyone have video of all the riders in the ring giving Hickstead a moment of silence after deciding that they would no longer compete in the class? I would love to see such a touching moment that they all gave to Eric and Hickstead.

I'd really like to see that too, I hope it'll be posted online at some point.

Rockfish
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:28 PM
a champion, now and forever

Instant Karma
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:39 PM
What a tasteless POS to yell out something like that, if that is indeed what she said. Why would that lady even be at the event if she truly felt they were "ruining the lives" of these horses?? Aside from the fact that they all probably have better lives than most people.

How cruel... I'm a fairly peaceful person, but I don't know if I would have been able to control myself if I had been sitting next to someone behaving in that fashion.:no:

Entourage
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:39 PM
I'd really like to see that too, I hope it'll be posted online at some point.

Footage of it here, starting at 1:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiUXVukaQTY

Laurierace
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:41 PM
Here where?

PiaffePlease
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:46 PM
This is truly sad. The video is hard to watch. Condolences to everyone who knew him.

abbydp
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:52 PM
Someone must have taken heed of all of the backlash on the NYTimes article. I just went to the link and it mentions drugs, but no mention of anything specific, definitely not Clenbuterol.

HorseLoverJana
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:52 PM
What a huge loss! RIP Hickstead. And deepest condolences to Erik and all who know and love him.

PonyPuzzle
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7SEUL3LyRo&feature=feedu

A beautiful tribute to a beautiful horse. RIP Hickstead:sadsmile:

Losgelassenheit
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:00 PM
Word from the WEF board:

"John and Donti Flieschhacker(co-owners of Hickstead) are going to Florida to be with Eric when he arrives home. John said they have a horse that Eric really really likes. Their daughter Ashley had the horse in Europe this summer, the horse is in Florida now and will be waiting for Eric to take over and start training as soon as Eric is ready. Eric will have the support of all his friends in his time of sorry."

While no horse could ever replace Hickstead, to know that there is a new friend waiting in the wings for Eric brought a smile to my face. :sadsmile: