PDA

View Full Version : Best Place To order A Custom-Fitted Bridle?

oharabear
Nov. 5, 2011, 04:12 PM
My pony has an oddly-shaped head. Large in circumference, but short from poll to nose. I'm currently riding her in a "Franken-bridle" (various parts of different bridles put together- a few pieces from a pony bridle, a few pieces from a horse-sized bridle, etc)

She currently goes sans noseband since I haven't found one big enough around the nose that isn't also too long. I tried to punch more holes in a horse-sized noseband but ended up with the buckle right behind her ear, which she was NOT a fan of.

Since her training is coming along really well and I'd like to start showing her, I think it's time to order her a custom bridle. With matching parts. :lol:

Where do I start looking?

kelsey97
Nov. 5, 2011, 04:17 PM
One of mine has the opposite issue, longer head with a tiny forehead and muzzle. I ordered a custom Arc De Triomphe silhouette bridle for her. It is absolutely gorgeous and fits her perfectly.

PonyLady29
Nov. 5, 2011, 05:07 PM
What about ordering a horse sized bridle then taking it to a saddle maker or even a shoe maker and having them shorten the piece with the buckle. Instead of putting a million holes in it they can shorter the side of the leather with the buckle it may make for a cheaper and nice looking bridle. I have a mare that has a small head that we always have them shorten her noseband that way and you would never know it was altered looks great!

GingerJumper
Nov. 5, 2011, 07:04 PM
What about ordering a horse sized bridle then taking it to a saddle maker or even a shoe maker and having them shorten the piece with the buckle. Instead of putting a million holes in it they can shorter the side of the leather with the buckle it may make for a cheaper and nice looking bridle. I have a mare that has a small head that we always have them shorten her noseband that way and you would never know it was altered looks great!

I'd do this. I had a buckle moved back on a bridle I adored (RIP old bridle *sniff*) and it was around $15. Couldn't tell it'd ever been anywhere else, looked like it came that way.

Herbie19
Nov. 5, 2011, 07:56 PM
www.saddlersrow.com

They let you create your own Edgewood bridles. This has been a lifesaver for me!

Mayaty02
Nov. 5, 2011, 08:51 PM
www.saddlersrow.com

They let you create your own Edgewood bridles. This has been a lifesaver for me!

That looks like a great option, and very reasonable! Will keep in mind for my hard to fit pony myself!

Linz
Nov. 6, 2011, 07:24 PM
Justbridles.com might be a good resource as well. They give you tons of measurements and are very helpful.

kisstherain
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:24 PM
I got a custom New Calvary bridle for my small pony. Did all the measurements over the phone and it turned out great - looks wonderful on her! I think it was $350ish without reins.

Google New Calvary if you're interested.

DMK
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:36 AM
As long as I have been buying Hadfields bridles, Cindy would always swap out parts to fit my horse. I don't think that has changed. Also she makes her bridle cheekpieces to accommodate the bigger bits (much shorter than edgewood), so a cob/pony mix might work for a horse that is broad across the top and short in length. Also for what it's worth, my youngster has the same "design" - I have a horse size edgewood for schooling (with a cob noseband) that is too big, and a horse size hadfields for showing that is perfect. Compound this by the fact I use a big D myler for showing and a big D happy mouth mullen ribbed for schooling - big D mullens give you about another 2 holes length since they don't sit higher on the face (even though they are big Ds). That's the only reason the edgewood can get away with horse cheekpieces even fitting. Meanwhile, there's the hadfield bridle, buckle at the upper corner of the eye, exactly where it's supposed to be.

Lucassb
Nov. 7, 2011, 10:02 AM
I have been impressed with the Legacy bridlework offered by Country Saddler. Lovely quality and they will do full custom OR stock: http://www.thecountrysaddler.com/LEGACY_MAIN1.html

pattnic
Nov. 7, 2011, 11:52 AM
I have been impressed with the Legacy bridlework offered by Country Saddler. Lovely quality and they will do full custom OR stock: http://www.thecountrysaddler.com/LEGACY_MAIN1.html

Having now heard this from both Lucassb and mvp, this is all I need to hear!

Though part of me still really wants a Hadfield's for my own difficult-to-fit pony (who currently sports a cob crown-cob cheeks-horse noseband-horse browband Edgewood, but really needs an oversize brow and pony cheeks and all kinds of buckles moved!)

mvp
Nov. 7, 2011, 01:28 PM

I wouldn't go this way unless I had seen the saddler's work and thought it was superb. You'll pay a great deal for moving this and that buckle.... and you'll also be sorry for the lifetime of your bridle if you bought new and instantly ruined it with coarse work.

I trust Beval's shop.

I got a custom New Calvary bridle for my small pony. Did all the measurements over the phone and it turned out great - looks wonderful on her! I think it was $350ish without reins.

Google New Calvary if you're interested.

Interesting! How long ago did you get this made? I have wanted this dude to make me one of his special inlay bridles to my specs for the last 15 years. But he (and the quality of his stuff) seems to come and go. I'm chicken.

Having now heard this from both Lucassb and mvp, this is all I need to hear!

Though part of me still really wants a Hadfield's for my own difficult-to-fit pony (who currently sports a cob crown-cob cheeks-horse noseband-horse browband Edgewood, but really needs an oversize brow and pony cheeks and all kinds of buckles moved!)

Pattnic beat me to the Country Saddler/Wayne Rasmussen/Legacy Tack recommendation. I have seen his strap goods in person. They are beautiful old skool new market that will darken as that leather was tanned to do. The craftsmanship is great and Wayne strikes me as a great guy.

I take my cue from Western World. There, you can get saddle makers to build you exactly what you want. But these guys are aging and I fear that too few young guys are getting into the business of making great tack. So if you want to keep saddlers around in English World, you need to send them some of your custom business when you have it to give.