PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Ring Show Names...

kchfuller
Nov. 4, 2011, 05:56 PM
I am in the process of coming up with a good show name for my OTTB.. his barn name is Henry.

The ones I like so far are:

Moves Like Jagger
Formal Attire
Motownphilly

Anyone have any ideas?

Here are some pics of him so you can get an idea of his "look"

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l39/norcalgirl83/10-18-11.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l39/norcalgirl83/9-6-118.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l39/norcalgirl83/7-19-11.jpg

Yes he is eating the tree :)
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l39/norcalgirl83/7-21-11.jpg

didgery
Nov. 4, 2011, 06:07 PM
He's gorgeous—you and I have different taste in names but similar taste in horses! I'm not crazy about the options on your list, but I wish you the best in choosing one.

If he were mine I'd probably call him "Son of Atticus" or "Jem Finch" as a nod to his sire (Atticus) and the book "To Kill a Mockingbird."

WBmare
Nov. 4, 2011, 06:10 PM
First of he is a cutie! :) While I do like Moves Like Jagger (the song has been stuck in my head) I would have to say I like Formal Attire for him.

danceronice
Nov. 4, 2011, 06:18 PM
What's his real name? I usually figure with TBs unless their name is really, really horrible, keep what's on the JC papers.

kchfuller
Nov. 4, 2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the ideas and replies. I am smitten over Henry as well :)

Yeah a friend recommended something from To Kill A Mockingbird.

Sheesh this is harder then naming my daughter! haha

kchfuller
Nov. 4, 2011, 06:19 PM
Dancer- It's House of Fortuny

danceronice
Nov. 4, 2011, 06:37 PM
I'd keep House of Fortuny, or go with Son Of Atticus so it's a pedigree name if not the original one. Formal Attire to me sounds like a name lots of people would think of for lots of different horses.

Rel6
Nov. 4, 2011, 08:08 PM
I really like Moves Like Jagger, whereas there are probably tons of horses named Formal Attire.

War Admiral
Nov. 4, 2011, 08:36 PM
I'd keep House of Fortuny, or go with Son Of Atticus so it's a pedigree name if not the original one. Formal Attire to me sounds like a name lots of people would think of for lots of different horses.

This. Formal Attire is overused and typical.

stolen virtue
Nov. 4, 2011, 08:42 PM
Names are so hard. Is this "Henry" from Canter last spring ? He looks like that Henry that someone had in San Luis Obispo. He is such a cutie.

Kryswyn
Nov. 4, 2011, 09:28 PM
Formal Attire seems to be used for every dk bay/black w/ chrome. Please do not use it. Motownphilly? Srsly. Henry is a colt. Motown Man, maybe. Don't know the song Moves Like Jagger. I'm just too literal and I'm not a Stones fan. Is Mick known to be a good mover? Frankly Mick is looking really old these days. Henry is much better looking. Given that Henry is chestnut, and you seem to like the Rolling Stones, how about:

Hang Fire

Star's Ascent
Nov. 4, 2011, 09:45 PM
I used to read Henry's blog when he was still with Canter! My first thought with Formal Attire was "isn't there already a horse with that name?" And that is just from watching the horse shows online for the last few weeks. I'm not really into Moves Like Jagger. After things like Harry Potter or other popular things you get a lot of ponies and horses showing up named after them. I don't really have any suggestions for other names. My OTTB's real name is Star's Ascent. I had thought about changing it to something Ocean-y/Monterey-ish or some kind of Clint Eastwood movie reference, but that's easier for a gelding. Gran Torino and Fist Full of Dollars just didn't go with my filly! So she is still Star's Ascent.

kchfuller
Nov. 4, 2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

Those who don't like my choices thats ok but lets keep it positive not critical :)

I am not a fan of his papered name so we won't be keeping that for showing.

Yes he is the Henry from CANTER- love this boy to pieces! He's my 3rd OTTB and I can't imagine having any other breed :)

BTW
Motownphilly is a Boys II Men song
Moves Like Jagger is a Maroon 5 Song

I am a nervous "show-er" so having a fun show name that makes me groove or laugh is a great way to remember to take a breath and have fun when going into the show ring :D

stolen virtue
Nov. 4, 2011, 11:50 PM
I just have to say that Henry looks amazing and so very happy ! I m so happy for you. I cannot wait to see updates.

I have a canter horse as well but he is at the trainers for right now. Enjoy Henry !

Star's Ascent
Nov. 4, 2011, 11:56 PM
I forgot to mention in my post that I'm not into Moves like Jagger also because every time I listen to that song it gets stuck in my head! So I won't listen to it anymore!

kchfuller
Nov. 5, 2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks Stolen Virtue! He is doing amazing and I have big dreams for him :)

Stars Ascent- I would totally be singing the song my whole round if that was his name haha!

Annandale
Nov. 5, 2011, 12:54 AM
hmmm... what if you just did Jagger instead of the whole song title?

Or to stick close to the Jockey Club name what about
House of Fortune or even House of Henry.

Of course if you went the To Kill a Mockingbird route you could always go with Boo Radley. :lol: haha or Harper or Atticus Finch (as opposed to just Atticus). or or or....

There is always Henry VII, too. Though that's a bit... Wait! You could do House of Tudor, which would give you both a nod to the Jockey Club name and a cool, nerdy "Henry" tie in. Now that I thought of that, there are so many obscure/nerdy/cool tie ins you could do around the Henry VIII theme. At least I think they're cool. hehe

Anyway, just brainstorming :)

kchfuller
Nov. 5, 2011, 01:07 AM
Yeah my trainer votes for House of Fortune.

The History and Mockingbird names are def good but just not my style so much haha! :lol:

It's a forever name so it has to be good ya know! :yes:

Annandale
Nov. 5, 2011, 01:13 AM
Yeah my trainer votes for House of Fortune.

The History and Mockingbird names are def good but just not my style so much haha! :lol:

Oh yeah, picking a name is a very personal thing. But, sometimes people can lead you down a direction you hadn't considered before. Or in my case, at least help you rule that direction out. :)

I'm putting my vote in with the trainer for House of Fortune.

fourmares
Nov. 5, 2011, 01:22 AM
If you use Moves Like Jagger be ready for announcers to mess it up... I've never heard of the song so I wanted to say it Moves Like Yaagger (as in Jagermeister). When I figured out it was Jagger, like Mick Jagger, well, then I just didn't get it, since Mick Jagger moves kind of strangely... although it did make me think of the name Tattoo You, which was a Stones' album.

jetsmom
Nov. 5, 2011, 01:36 AM
How about "Matisse" ? Like in Henri Matisse the artist. Kind of upscale and makes you think of elegance. But keeps the "Henry" in mind.

kchfuller
Nov. 5, 2011, 01:46 AM
Lots to think about- Thanks everyone! :D

RugBug
Nov. 5, 2011, 02:52 AM
How about "Matisse" ? Like in Henri Matisse the artist. Kind of upscale and makes you think of elegance. But keeps the "Henry" in mind.

Not that it bothers me if a name is overused, but Matisse fits into that category. If my 14 year old self was naming the paint mare I rode at the time Matisse...you can bet it's been used..and used...and used. ;)

OP: I might do something like Fortune Favors...leaving some people to wonder and others to continue the phrase with "the brave".

Or you could get 80s pop culturey (since you already did with Motownphill) and do House of Style.

Whatever you do...I'm with you on not liking his JC name. I actually haven't seen any names on this thread that made me go "That's a good name" (even the ones I suggested. It's super personal, IMO. My friend recently got a new horse and named him something so average...and now he's renamed himself with something way better that suits him perfectly. It took a while, but it came. I came up with my horse's name before I even bought him....and then had to hang it on the shelf for a while because he wasn't quite what I thought he was. He finally earned the name, and it's one a lot of people wouldn't like, but it's right for him and me.

Has nothing ever popped for you? One of his characteristics that lends itself to some sort of name? IMO, those are the best names....

brooksbaby
Nov. 5, 2011, 05:48 PM
I'm all for the fun show names, especially if it is your personal horse that you are showing for yourself. Sometimes people take showing way too seriously and forget that its also supposed to be fun. Definitely pick something that you love and don't worry about what other people think :)

kchfuller
Nov. 5, 2011, 06:10 PM
Yeah I plan to pick whatever I want haha! And it will be fun for sure because I need the reminder to enjoy myself when I show!

I wanted to see what names others came up with.

Thanks everyone :)

Kryswyn
Nov. 5, 2011, 06:48 PM
I can certainly understand wanting a name that takes your mind off the seriousness of the moment, but as someone who has her kennel name announced repeatedly when the ribbons are announced, I can tell you that having your animal's name mispronounced gets really old oh like the 2d time it happens! To have the announcer CONTINUE to mispronounce it, after being politely corrected by not only me, but my friends in the announcer's booth, is really, really annoying. Knowing that MOST people know how to pronounce it is only somewhat mollifying.

I have a friend who named her dog Snot. I mean maybe he was, but every time he won a ribbon, everybody laughed. And not in a good way.

So if you want people to laugh at your horse by all means give him an oddball, or counter intuitive name (like Motownphilly for a gelding, or Tiny for an 18 hh horse). IMHO Henry deserves a distinguished name this time around (because his JC name is awful).

Fortunate Son
Dream Big
Fortune's Way

RockinHorse
Nov. 5, 2011, 07:00 PM

In this case, I would stay away from the pop culture song title names. While they might be cute now, in 5 or 6 years they often sound dated.

cek
Nov. 5, 2011, 08:12 PM
I don't know, but it seems like Formal Attire has already been used...maybe check USEF database? Also, I imagine that name for a bay with white socks and a blaze (or something with lots of white...maybe like a tux or something?)

Moves Like Jagger is catchy and will be stand-out as it is current.

I really feel like there was a horse named Formal Attire...I might be just imagining things :)

Lovely horse, whatever the name!

Jumpthemoon16
Nov. 5, 2011, 08:23 PM
My vote's for House of Tudor :)

Void
Nov. 5, 2011, 08:53 PM
My vote's for House of Tudor :)

I like it too :)

bumknees
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:59 AM
There are about half a million Formal Attires out there or varations there of Ie Black Ties Affair. I would stay clear away from it also normally go on small horses or large ponies at least where I am.

I like House of Tudor, the To kill a Mockingbird referance ( way to early in the am for me to think of how to spell the name).

Yeah you dont want anything that may stumble across the announcers tounge OR worse be able to be easily misspelled by the show sect as she is making up the class list... I had a maiden name that could have been misspeeled Duck ( If I was lucky), And a horses name that made everyone the first 30 or so time stumble over it. I had no idea at the time I couild choose a show name diffrent than her reg. name.

IMO if you are going to use the name of a song you want to use something that has been around the block more times than you are old in years. Something everyone knows, even if they are unwilling to admit it or knows it to hear the song and only after several attempts and someone tell the title do they ''know '' the song, but cant quite name that tune on their own kwim.

KayPink
Nov. 7, 2011, 12:24 PM
I really like House of Fortune!

chardo84
Nov. 7, 2011, 02:11 PM
How about Regarding Henry? It was a Harrison Ford movie. I think it has a nice sound to it. :)

ToTheNines
Nov. 7, 2011, 02:30 PM
LOVE the idea for Regarding Henry. And LOVE the ideas of taking the last name of a famous Henry.

gottagrey
Nov. 7, 2011, 02:38 PM
Henry is quite the handsome boy ! Motownphilly and Formal Attire/Affair i think are too femine sounding for him - he has a masculine look. Not a huge fan of Moves Like Jagger (and let's face it Mick Jagger is kind of a spastic dancer)

Since you like the music theme what about

"Rescue Me" - he's from Canter, Rescue Me is a motown song/hit back in the 60's?

Mancini - after composer Henry Mancini
Shuffletown - Joe Henry song/album (he's married to Maddona's sister)

in keeping w/ Henry - and using English theme - some of Henry VIII's castles
(google for others)
Hampton Court
Beddington
Hanworth Park

Annandale
Nov. 7, 2011, 05:20 PM
How about Regarding Henry? It was a Harrison Ford movie. I think it has a nice sound to it. :)

Ohhh that's a cute one, too!

kchfuller
Nov. 7, 2011, 05:56 PM
Thank you everyone so much for the names .. I have some time till the 2012 show season to make a choice :)

snaffle635
Nov. 7, 2011, 07:23 PM
I like the name of your blog for his show name: Donde Esta Henry

The announcers may have a tough time with it, but it would certainly make me smile every time I heard it.

cek
Nov. 9, 2011, 03:04 PM
I love Regarding Henry! That is an amazing name! And, I am out of it with pop culture I guess- I thought Moves Like Jagger would be unique, but I came across a Hanoverian foal right after I said I liked that one, named that. I assumed since I had just heard the song once or twice, it was still a totally unused name, lol.

HenryisBlaisin'
Nov. 9, 2011, 03:35 PM
I love Regarding Henry!

If course, I'm a sucker for chestnut geldings named Henry...

oharabear
Nov. 9, 2011, 03:39 PM
FWIW, I was listening to "Moves Like Jagger" in the car the other day and was thinking that it would make a cute show name! ;-)

ParadoxFarm
Nov. 9, 2011, 04:48 PM
"I like the name of your blog for his show name: Donde Esta Henry

The announcers may have a tough time with it, but it would certainly make me smile every time I heard it."

I also like a fun name. I have an Ap/Trak cross who is spotted. His show name is Chico De Mayo. Everyone butchers it. Most even call him Cinco De Mayo, not even reading the Chico part. :) And the name is not supposed to make sense, which is why it's fun to me. Chico is his barn name.

I like House of Tudor best so far! Or since Formal Attire is so used, how about Business Casual?

kchfuller
Nov. 9, 2011, 05:16 PM
It took a bit for the hauler to get him to me and that is how the Donde Esta Henry name came about ... everyone asked me every day where he was haha!

I am leaning towards Moves Like Jagger or Regarding Henry but really like Business Casual! I have till spring to pick so keep the suggestions coming!

ParadoxFarm
Nov. 9, 2011, 06:09 PM
Oops! Forgot to mention that I think he is beautiful.

kchfuller
Nov. 12, 2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks Paradox! :)

BAC
Nov. 12, 2011, 06:30 PM
I like his registered name best, but don't pick Formal Affair, there are dozens of horses with that name already.

fourmares
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:44 PM
Wait six weeks and see if you still like Moves Like Jagger or if the radio has played the song so much you can't stand it any more. Business Casual is cute. So is Regarding Henry.

Release First
Nov. 13, 2011, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the ideas and replies. I am smitten over Henry as well :)

Yeah a friend recommended something from To Kill A Mockingbird.

Sheesh this is harder then naming my daughter! haha

****Smitten******

Hunter Mom
Nov. 13, 2011, 09:51 AM
I don't care for names that are that specifically tied to a current song as they become dated very quickly. Unless it's a very classic song of course, but not sure Moves like Jagger will be. Oh, and I'm not sure that Mick Jagger has great moves for the hunter ring anyhow. LOL

kchfuller
Apr. 25, 2012, 05:05 PM
Ok I still haven't picked a name.. ugh!

Here is the new list that I like... thoughts?!?! :)

Moves Like Jagger
Raise the Roof
Cabana Boy
Airforce One

elizabuggy
Apr. 25, 2012, 05:25 PM
He is super cute. I like "Raise the Roof" and it is a take-off on his registered name which is cool.

Kryzlstoff
Apr. 25, 2012, 05:43 PM
OMGosh. He is very cute! :)
I really like Regarding Henry!
Good luck finding the "one"!

kchfuller
Apr. 25, 2012, 05:46 PM
updated pics on Henry

http://dondeestahenry.blogspot.com/p/about-henry.html

Dewey
Apr. 25, 2012, 09:22 PM
House of Tudor gets my vote.

mojo7777
Apr. 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
I think you should name him, "I want to go live with Mojo." :D

FLeventer
Apr. 25, 2012, 09:38 PM
I would call him High Tower. Just me though..

Arelle
Apr. 25, 2012, 10:12 PM
I nearly switched my show JUMPER's name to Moves Like Jagger last year.

Personally, I think it's a terrible choice for a hunter for two reasons A) Mick Jagger is not what I would consider traditionally pretty/handsome and B) have you even seen the man "move"?

The Maroon 5 video has old footage intermixed with new. Check it out. http://youtu.be/iEPTlhBmwRg

Then there's this mess. :lol: http://youtu.be/9G4jnaznUoQ

So, yeah. Jumper - fine. Eventer - fine. Hunter - please pick something else.

Crown Royal
Apr. 25, 2012, 10:32 PM
This is super lame, but I had to post it....what about "Can't Hurry Henry". As in a reference to the motown song "Can't Hurry Love"...:lol:

I do really like Regarding Henry, or even just plain Henry, or Henri. But I typically like to choose one word names or elegant two-word names.

I'm not a fan of any of the ones in your OP...I dislike the use of song names for horses, especially new ones that are only currently popular (and honestly, that song got old to me FAST).

Your boy is quite handsome. :)

Crown Royal
Apr. 25, 2012, 10:36 PM
Oh, and I'm not sure that Mick Jagger has great moves for the hunter ring anyhow. LOL

Perhaps Moves Like George [Morris]? Or...Moves Like Rox Dene? Hahaha...I don't know why I'm in a silly names mood, this never happens. :lol:

LoveJubal
Apr. 25, 2012, 11:23 PM
Isn't there a candy bar named Henry? Like Oh Henry!

I just thought of that... maybe the brain cells are getting tired/dying :lol:

I don't know why I keep thinking of the Bob Dylan song House of the Rising Sun as I read this thread, but that might generate some name choices... Rising Sun (seeing as he is a red boy), but that might be overdone.

I also like House of Fortune, but what about Fortune Teller, Bonaventure (means Good Fortune in Latin, but could be mispronounced easily), and I like Fortune Favors as well.

What about Waiting for Henry and Henry Help Us? I also like Regarding Henry.

Good Luck with the name choices - I'm tapped out now :D

kchfuller
Apr. 26, 2012, 01:24 AM
LOL Mojo ;)

Arelle- bahahaha thanks for the videos

Thanks everyone for the ideals... I am leaning towards Cabana Boy and Raise the Roof :)

kchfuller
May. 9, 2012, 12:30 AM
Ok picked a name .. All In :)

Why I picked it:
It's a song by my favorite band (Lifehouse) about being all in a relationship. It will also remind me to give it my all every time I go into the show ring. Lastly I hope for a long partnership with Henry that we both give our alls towards.

didgery
May. 9, 2012, 10:59 AM
I like it!

Trevelyan96
May. 9, 2012, 12:13 PM
Ok picked a name .. All In :)

Why I picked it:
It's a song by my favorite band (Lifehouse) about being all in a relationship. It will also remind me to give it my all every time I go into the show ring. Lastly I hope for a long partnership with Henry that we both give our alls towards.

Love that song as well. Great choice!