PDA

View Full Version : Haven Sporthorses, Maryland?

marginall
Nov. 4, 2011, 10:39 AM
Anyone have experience with buying from this farm or know of how their sold horses have performed? Looking for a jumper prospect and looks like they have some interesting horses.

I don't want this to turn into a train wreck or ruin anyone's reputation, etc., so please private message any harsh reviews (if there are any).

Any constructive feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

maxxtrot
Nov. 4, 2011, 11:32 AM
she's a nice lady. nothing bad to say at all.

gottagrey
Nov. 4, 2011, 03:21 PM
Dont' know her but haven't heard anything bad so that;'s good and going on the website - geez there's a couple I'd love to have.. Website says they're relocating to FL...

LeandraB
Nov. 4, 2011, 03:53 PM
I want to start by saying I have no personal experience with them nor have I ever heard of them (I'm also located in MD) but I would be skeptical. I went to their website because I had never heard of them and recognized one of the horses from a sale ad on equine (Codea the bay pretty high up on the sale page). I have no idea if the ad is still up but the video showed the rider galloping up to airy 4'+ verticals in a small ring and they are touting the horse as a grand prix prospect for a substantial amount of money. Horse doesn't appear to have any show experience and while he was athletic, also overfaced. Their website is also awfully unprofessional which is a big turn-off for me.

If youre looking for a jumper prospect find something with strong basics including dressage training that has been started slowly and correctly.

myalter
Nov. 4, 2011, 05:06 PM
I also have no personal experience with them, but she did friend me on FB for some odd reason (probably just to reach more people with all the horses she's trying to sell) and always has ads up for her horses there. Some of them do look nice, but I agree that the website is really unprofessional and the horses are WAY overpriced in my opinion, which is probably why she can't sell any of them. Her yearling colt has been priced at 250,000 since he hit the ground, and she has an 8 yr old mare who, while very beautiful, has rarely if at all seen a show ring, for 45,000.

buschkn
Nov. 4, 2011, 05:41 PM
Her yearling colt has been priced at 250,000 since he hit the ground, and she has an 8 yr old mare who, while very beautiful, has rarely if at all seen a show ring, for 45,000.

That's actually not entirely true- she wants $500K for him now! :eek:

mourningdove
Nov. 4, 2011, 09:32 PM
i have bought a horse from her. and she was honest, and has integrity. one must remember i have seen alot of people come and try out horses that intentionally overface them in order to see how much scope they have. its the buyers she is taking pix of and they are the ones setting the jumps. these horses are well bred, and while they could benefit from more show experience, the asking price of my mare wasnt what i ended up paying. so to assume there is n o leeway, is not particularly bright. i quite plainly was honored to have such a mare that was as well bred as the one i have, and am quite excited about the foal i will have next year. i realize some people dont care about blood lines, and thus should look for cheaper horses. you can go to europe and you wont get well bred horses much cheaper. you can get a good lookin horse with so so bloodlines and since most people dont breed, its probably just as well they look for geldings and if they look good, who cares what lines they have.

BeeHoney
Nov. 4, 2011, 10:37 PM
I'm not entirely sure it is professional--or exactly socially acceptable(?)--to photograph or video prospective buyers and then use that for advertising. It's a little unusual.

sixpoundfarm
Nov. 5, 2011, 08:30 AM
Unprofessional barely scratches the surface.

I am pretty sure a person could go to Europe, buy and import 3-4 similarly bred, high quality foals for what she wants for the Berlin baby.

And, frankly I am not drinking the koolaide on comment about buyers overfacing her horses. Just a quick browse of her Facebook albums tells me otherwise.

Its pretty sad to see her aged, unfit and out of shape broodmares chased over ridiculously high fences just for the sport of it.

mourningdove
Nov. 5, 2011, 08:47 PM
a true professional doesnt put someone down in a open forum. neither do they make public statements about someone they do not know. i personally have done business with her, and dont find her to be in the least bit disengenuous or outright liar. however, your commentary here shows the highest disreguard for professional conduct in both a legal and personal way. you should be ashamed of yourselves. its astonishing you have nothing better to do. if you do know her, and are claiming you dont in order to defame her, i suggest you zip it and find legal counsel. cuz if i were her i would be indeed, serving you with papers. now go scuttle off like a good little cockroach:o

mourningdove
Nov. 5, 2011, 09:15 PM
oh, and Bee Honey.. she obtains release forms from the potential buyers since then she can film them trying out her horses. i am sure it has legal reasoning behind it, if someone falls off or injures themselves it is caught on film. if they also claim to not have tried a horse or misrepresent themselves, then she can have legal grounds i rather think its a very smart thing to do, actually cuz it also warns other sellers of the looky loos

LeandraB
Nov. 5, 2011, 09:29 PM
a true professional doesnt put someone down in a open forum. neither do they make public statements about someone they do not know. i personally have done business with her, and dont find her to be in the least bit disengenuous or outright liar. however, your commentary here shows the highest disreguard for professional conduct in both a legal and personal way. you should be ashamed of yourselves. its astonishing you have nothing better to do. if you do know her, and are claiming you dont in order to defame her, i suggest you zip it and find legal counsel. cuz if i were her i would be indeed, serving you with papers. now go scuttle off like a good little cockroach:o

No one here posting is speaking in a professional capacity. the OP simply wants opinions on someone she is considering buying from, which is valid. You can save yourself a lot of time by getting personal opinions. Other posters as well as I have all prefaced our posts by saying that we do not know the farm in question and are simply commenting on the impression given from her website. It is easy for anyone to see that her website is unprofessional and to be honest, I've rarely seen $100K plus horses for sale online. They usually walk out of the show ring and are sold by word of mouth/by the trainer to buyers who have been watching a horse show all season. I would never considerer paying more than $30K for a horse that hasn't been shown with some consistency.

Eye in the Sky
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:34 AM
Ahhh, yes. This is not the first time this has been discussed here on COTH. Do a search for both "Haven" as well as the owner's name. If memory serves, this is the infamous horse jumping a car situation.

mourningdove
Nov. 6, 2011, 04:48 AM
"No one here posting is speaking in a professional capacity. the OP simply wants opinions on someone she is considering buying from, which is valid. You can save yourself a lot of time by getting personal opinions. Other posters as well as I have all prefaced our posts by saying that we do not know the farm in question and are simply commenting on the impression given from her website. It is easy for anyone to see that her website is unprofessional and to be honest, I've rarely seen $100K plus horses for sale online. They usually walk out of the show ring and are sold by word of mouth/by the trainer to buyers who have been watching a horse show all season. I would never considerer paying more than $30K for a horse that hasn't been shown with some consistency"

well i have been a some kind of impression several of you have farms. and, i personally wouldnt pay thirty grand for a horse ever. i bought a horse from her, its a good well bred horse, exactly as advertised and have NO issues. however, your commentary seems to be totally guided to some how discredit her, and i have brought these comments to her attention. this to me, means, if you have a farm you are a professional. and as such, your comments are UNprofessional and quite obviously some of you have some kind of ax to grind. which is shameful. if you dont know someone, you either keep out of their business, and if you do know someone, you try to offer help if you think they need it. it s part of being a True Horsewoman i see none of these standards exhibited by anyones commentary. and thirty-thousand is what alot of people pay, and more for babies that have never shown with good conformation, movement and breeding. just look at the comparable bloodlines sold at Vechta auctions and other places. so your "personal opinion" is not based on any facts that are available anywhere on the internet. as to horses that have shown and won and done well, IF you find one that is for sale for thirty thousand, in the A circuit its a gelding, older, and maybe a bump or two wrong with it. now, its been a few years since i trained a barnload of clients, however my clients all got really inexpensive horses and they all had serious flaws, but we actually beat the high dollar horses. which upset alot of the trainers. i enjoyed that a bit. however, it is NOT uncommon for a top horse that shows A circuit as many as twenty years ago to cost eighty to a hundred grand. to make statements against someone, who you claim not to know just shows you are a vindictive and sour person of a caliber no one should heed any words from, and most certainly never do any business with:winkgrin::winkgrin:
just this weekend alone, at the Kentucky Horse Park at the big Alltech Show, i saw no horse there that was worth "ONLY" thirty thousand. they were indeed all sensational big established horses, of considerable caliber. and i would expect most of the ones i saw going around, were over fifty thousand. your line of thinking is not based on any facts.

mourningdove
Nov. 6, 2011, 04:57 AM
eye in the sky you must be mistaking her for someone else. completely untrue. however i do know several who have done such for commercials, kristin and diane (wont mention last names) have done some astounding jumps for film

mourningdove
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:03 AM
That's actually not entirely true- she wants $500K for him now! :eek:

its entirely untrue she wants that much for the colt. however it is true she doesnt want to actually sell him. so she prices him at a price that discourages people. and fullalley has been to some shows. however, is still eligible pregreen in the bigger leagues, and sometimes there is a reason for that. i would also love to have more of her horses, than the one i have. but i am not ever going to be able to. she worked with me, i was honored to be able to work a deal to own such a well bred mare as i have. stallion owners fall over themselves to give me a good deal. i have heard of how some of these COTH threads are full of some mean comments and such. or just plain untruths. i would hope you people start to make an effort to be a bit more ligitimate and less part of a soap opera

sunray
Nov. 6, 2011, 07:13 AM
HI- Just though I would give my two cents- I don't know Julia personally, but a friend of mine worked with one of her horses for a few years. She believes in her horses to the fullest, they are VERY well bred, and show a lot of potential. They have good flatwork, judging from the pictures and videos I have seen, and pretty good brains ( going on what I have heard from people who have ridden them)

Do I feel they are a tad overpriced? Yes. But I also know that the prices are negotiable, and she will do a payment program. She really wants them to go to good show homes and be successful.

Whether you feel they are over faced or not is a personal opinion- I don't get the impression that she jumps them all the time, and I know for a fact that she progresses them forward the correct way ( starting with a crossrail and working slowly up to those heights). As for free jumping pictures? Please- people won't even consider a young GP prospect unless its shown some scope in a chute.

I also don't have the highest opinion of some of the trainers that she works with, but again, that is her personal decision. If that is what works for her than so be it.

Good luck on your search- My opinion? It doesn't hurt to go try it if your truly interested. I know if I had a boat load of cash I would buy the chestnut broodmare ( Aphrodite) for whatever she is asking lol- That thing is fancy with her front end.

Side note on the jumping the car picture? The person jumping the horse is a trainer that she is very closely associated with- not sure if it was one of her horses or not.

mlcoursin
Nov. 6, 2011, 07:49 AM
"No one here posting is speaking in a professional capacity. the OP simply wants opinions on someone she is considering buying from, which is valid. You can save yourself a lot of time by getting personal opinions. Other posters as well as I have all prefaced our posts by saying that we do not know the farm in question and are simply commenting on the impression given from her website. It is easy for anyone to see that her website is unprofessional and to be honest, I've rarely seen $100K plus horses for sale online. They usually walk out of the show ring and are sold by word of mouth/by the trainer to buyers who have been watching a horse show all season. I would never considerer paying more than $30K for a horse that hasn't been shown with some consistency"

well i have been a some kind of impression several of you have farms. and, i personally wouldnt pay thirty grand for a horse ever. i bought a horse from her, its a good well bred horse, exactly as advertised and have NO issues. however, your commentary seems to be totally guided to some how discredit her, and i have brought these comments to her attention. this to me, means, if you have a farm you are a professional. and as such, your comments are UNprofessional and quite obviously some of you have some kind of ax to grind. which is shameful. if you dont know someone, you either keep out of their business, and if you do know someone, you try to offer help if you think they need it. it s part of being a True Horsewoman i see none of these standards exhibited by anyones commentary. and thirty-thousand is what alot of people pay, and more for babies that have never shown with good conformation, movement and breeding. just look at the comparable bloodlines sold at Vechta auctions and other places. so your "personal opinion" is not based on any facts that are available anywhere on the internet. as to horses that have shown and won and done well, IF you find one that is for sale for thirty thousand, in the A circuit its a gelding, older, and maybe a bump or two wrong with it. now, its been a few years since i trained a barnload of clients, however my clients all got really inexpensive horses and they all had serious flaws, but we actually beat the high dollar horses. which upset alot of the trainers. i enjoyed that a bit. however, it is NOT uncommon for a top horse that shows A circuit as many as twenty years ago to cost eighty to a hundred grand. to make statements against someone, who you claim not to know just shows you are a vindictive and sour person of a caliber no one should heed any words from, and most certainly never do any business with:winkgrin::winkgrin:
just this weekend alone, at the Kentucky Horse Park at the big Alltech Show, i saw no horse there that was worth "ONLY" thirty thousand. they were indeed all sensational big established horses, of considerable caliber. and i would expect most of the ones i saw going around, were over fifty thousand. your line of thinking is not based on any facts.

And you seem overly sensitive for being someone who just bought a horse off this person....people have opinions and state them. Last time I checked that was okay!!! Talking about legal actions in one post and then going off the handle in another couple...:eek: If I where Haven, I would say you're doing more bad then good here.

Eye in the Sky
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:17 AM
eye in the sky you must be mistaking her for someone else. completely untrue. however i do know several who have done such for commercials, kristin and diane (wont mention last names) have done some astounding jumps for film

There is a picture for your evidentiary pleasure on her site. ;)

Eye in the Sky
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:25 AM
There will be house-guests and wine with this, if it keeps going. ;):winkgrin::lol:

Mara
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:55 AM
There will be house-guests and wine with this, if it keeps going. ;):winkgrin::lol:

I can't even make it through "mourningdove"'s posts.
Paragraphs and capital letters are your friend. ;)

Anselcat
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:08 AM

All you need to know is that she has made allegations of defamation, said people must have axes to grind, opined that Haven should start 'serving [posters] with papers', and that posters should "get legal counsel".

Yawn.

Somermist
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:17 AM

True. I've got the wine, you bring some cheese, crackers, popcorn, whatever.:lol::lol:

Thank you.;) And, why so immediately hostile?;)

LeandraB
Nov. 6, 2011, 12:58 PM
meh...glad i'm 19, and really want no career in the horse world so i can be as unprofessional as i like.

mourningdove
Nov. 6, 2011, 08:10 PM
since i am just making observations and replies to a few people who seem to want to make a mountain out of a mole hill, i explained i had purchased a horse from her with satisfactory results. and yes, she is conscientious and takes time to develop them. as to spelling or capitalizations, its written in clear and plain english and if you cant read it oh well. i am not here to turn this in for a grade. i have been at horse sales all day here in kentucky for last three days, and popped over to the alltech show as well(yay richard spooner...who used to ride at my horse shows when he was a kidlet) basically, if you are interested in a horse and are able to give it a good show home she will work with you. one of the reasons i spend time working with horses, drawing or sculpting or painting is i really could care less about punctuation and stuff like that. if i did i would go get another degree. if the girl wants a horse of julia's and is going to campaign it, i am sure julia will work with her.

Eye in the Sky
Nov. 6, 2011, 08:29 PM
Wait, did you just dismiss the proper use of grammar in the name of ART? This is absolutely fascinating. I had no idea one had to give up their knowledge of proper English in order to get the creative juices flowing.

Ghazzu
Nov. 7, 2011, 07:21 AM
i have been at horse sales all day here in kentucky for last three days,... i really could care less about punctuation and stuff like that.

That would explain it then.
You're too bloody exhausted to hit the shift key.

If you gave 2 cents for credibility, you might want to reconsider your communications skills. If you can't be bothered to communicate clearly, don't be surprised when your posts are dismissed by others.

RxCate
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:28 AM
She randomly friended me as well, but I didn't think much of it.

I don't like the way she presents her horses. I don't think it's the most proper way to do it when you're asking those prices, but to each their own.

Her horses all look in good condition and happy so I've never paid much mind to her.

If I was in the market I'd probably at least go see what she's got in person and speak to her at length, as you can never full on tell the truth from a photo or a website. We all know you can't take the internet at face value.

As far as I'm concerned, she is trying to find exceptional show homes and cares a boat load for her horses. Whether or not we would go about presenting them the same way is our own opinion. As long as no one/horse is getting hurt, I say carry on.

Obviously she is getting sales or she wouldn't keep posting them.

gottagrey
Nov. 7, 2011, 02:50 PM
Ahhh, yes. This is not the first time this has been discussed here on COTH. Do a search for both "Haven" as well as the owner's name. If memory serves, this is the infamous horse jumping a car situation.

that photo is on the website:yes: as she or someone connected to her is working w/ that trainer. I also don't know about using all the GP photos on the site..initially one might think that a "sold" horse is now on the Belgium show jumping team or something when in reality that particular photo is of a horse that might share some of the same bloodlines.

OneonOne
Nov. 16, 2011, 11:34 AM
I have a hard time taking seriously any horse professional who puts a photo of someone leading a horse while wearing flip-flops prominently on their webpage.

EquineLVR
Nov. 16, 2011, 12:13 PM
[edit]

Codea - the filly in this video is a very nice filly - I believe Julie bought her from Majestic Gaits who imported her as a weanling. She has a very good motherline.

Laurierace
Nov. 16, 2011, 12:26 PM
[quote=julie710;5961422][edit][quote]

A man must have measured that fence size! Love the lawn chairs...

Trixie
Nov. 16, 2011, 12:47 PM
Nothing says professional establishment like jumps made out of lawn chairs. :winkgrin:

TatteredDaydreamer
Nov. 16, 2011, 03:42 PM
Where's the fruitbat?

caffeinated
Nov. 16, 2011, 03:46 PM
Where's the fruitbat?

He's hanging out under the lawn chair.

Credosporthorses
Nov. 16, 2011, 03:54 PM
Where's the fruitbat?

haha love it:lol:

dags
Nov. 16, 2011, 03:55 PM
Nothing says professional establishment like jumps made out of lawn chairs. :winkgrin:

And backwards oxers.

Though I must applaud HsH for seizing the marketing opportunity here. Some other seriously ingenious marketing spins include her horse running for president (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=192456197459905&set=a.192289147476610.39818.192275290811329&type=3&theater) and leaping whole mountain ranges in a single bound (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=192289164143275&set=a.192289147476610.39818.192275290811329&type=3&theater).

But alas, linking to sale ads and videos is against board policy.

Cacique
Nov. 16, 2011, 08:15 PM
Personally, I like the person riding in booty shorts and half chaps. And the one of the horse spooking...

Laurierace
Nov. 16, 2011, 09:45 PM
How does one build a 4'6" oxer with one set of four foot standards?

Ammy Owner
Nov. 16, 2011, 10:03 PM
Theres so much crap on that website it kept freezing my computer.

julie710
Nov. 17, 2011, 01:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ0RN90Ll8w&feature=relmfu

Moderator 1
Nov. 17, 2011, 09:50 AM
We removed some video of horses for sale to comply with our posting policies.

Thanks ~
Mod 1

julie710
Nov. 17, 2011, 05:59 PM
As for moderation per forum rules.

"3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large."

I saw no moderation on the issue of user's cutting down others based on grammar and diction, as well as other non-horse related issues which is against forum policy as stated.

If you want to moderate, then moderate without bias and partiality.