PDA

View Full Version : Assessment/ trying a new coach

Sellefrancais
Nov. 3, 2011, 02:55 PM
What do you look for when trying a new coach? What would you feel a suitable "assessment" lesson for a group of 4 riders ?

One of my favorite riders has moved barns, the barn in question is nearly double the commute (and in the opposite direction) as my home barn. In order to make it a little bit easier financially to justify the drive she has found 4 riders that are interested in taking lessons weekly. I will be going out tonight to do the first group lesson with the riders, meet them, and their horses. Before I do anything I would like to ask the riders what they have done, what their horses have done, and what their goals are. I believe the riders and horses have all done a bit of jumping so I planned to do flat work to see where they are with rhythm, straightness, equitation etc. After I was planning on setting up a simple 1 stride to a 2 stride grid of poles on the ground to work with each rider to determine their understanding and feeling of the horses movement and feeling of riding the hind end to fences... I will go up from there based on where each rider is.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan ? I would really like for the riders to enjoy themselves while I get to know them etc.

Lucassb
Nov. 3, 2011, 03:24 PM
I think the answer depends on the level of riders you will be teaching. What would be appropriate for 4 big eq riders is not going to suit a group of four novice adult re-riders, obviously.

I do think that it makes sense to do a pretty good flat to get an idea of where they are in terms of control, position etc... and then I'd keep an open mind and go from there. Certainly once you speak to the riders and find out more about their background you will be better able to come up with a plan.

Sellefrancais
Nov. 4, 2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the advice, things went very well. Its quite an exciting group of horses riders to add to the team. :)