PDA

View Full Version : How do you determine age for 3 and 4 year old division

Beenthere
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:47 PM
Just curious if anyone can give guidance. I have heard that under GR102 a horse is a year old every January 1 following their actual foaling date but then others have told me for 3 and 4 year old hunter division that they go by the actual date on the papers. Can anyone provide me better guidance on which one it is?

It seems the first way would be easier to follow but who knows

DMK
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:00 PM
check the prizelist, it's not a recognized division so the prize list rules.

As far as I know WEF has always been by actual birth date. Oh OK, for a brief time Littlewood was birth date and WEF was USEF year, but then they fixed that (and Littlewood was rolled into WEF). I assume it hasn't been changed since the last time I looked (2 years ago maybe).

mbp618
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:02 PM
I could be mistaken but they go by the age of the horse as of January 1st or December 1st for the USEF's year. Hope that makes sense.

mbp618
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:03 PM
Yes WEF is Usef year

lauriep
Nov. 3, 2011, 05:44 PM
As far as I know, Jan. 1 is birthday for all. If they turn three in that year, they are three all year.

Beenthere
Nov. 3, 2011, 07:41 PM
thank you everyone

DMK
Nov. 3, 2011, 09:09 PM
As far as I know, Jan. 1 is birthday for all. If they turn three in that year, they are three all year.

Laurie has it, except for the date in January. From last year's prize list:

Open to horses that are 3 or 4 years old only, based on date of birth as of January 13, 2011 and will continue showing at that age through WEF 12. Horses entered in this Section are not eligible for Section A or Section B at the same competition

Meaning if your 5 year old doesn't turn 5 until January 14th, he is considered 4 for this class/series. If he turned 5 on Jan 10th, you're screwed. (I'm assuming this year's "start" date will be the first day of WEF 1)

Beenthere
Nov. 3, 2011, 10:01 PM
That explains it

lauriep
Nov. 4, 2011, 08:07 AM
Interesting choice of dates! AFAIK, they are the only (USEF/USHJA) orgs. to choose that date. And this is just for WEF, correct?

DMK
Nov. 4, 2011, 09:21 AM
well they liked to change it around so when I have a "4" year old (that is really 5), THEN it goes by "JC rules" (however old your horse will be by Dec 31 is his age as of Jan 1 of the same year). But when I don't have a young one, or do, but in no way am going to spring for $$$$ for an unrated class at WEF, yeah, they change it. ;)

I'm not bitter about Robbie getting screwed out of his 3/4 year old division at WEF. Nope, not bitter. Much. :p

(never mind the subject in question will be 20 the next time WEF rolls around)

CBoylen
Nov. 4, 2011, 01:29 PM
They changed it last year (possibly the year before? recently, anyway.) because not so many people were as honest as DMK ;). Too many people were just fudging it on the basis of, well he won't really be five until after circuit... So basically now it's a division called 3 & 4 year olds, but it's for 4 & 5 year olds, because that's all that was showing in it anyway.

DMK
Nov. 4, 2011, 01:33 PM
I know, the trainer/rider pestered me about it endlessly, "you are the only one reading it to the letter..."

Yeah, that's because in the history of the universe, if there is EVER a person to be caught and made a public example of, it's DMK. :p

S A McKee
Nov. 4, 2011, 10:22 PM
And just to make it more interesting there is a rule change proposal to calculate age depending on which hemisphere the horse is born in.

"Exception: Horses from the Southern Hemisphere competing in the Northern Hemisphere should be permitted to take part in Competitions for Horses one (1) year younger, as their official birth date is August 1."

If this passes I'm sure southern hemisphere horses will be the next big thing. LOL

DMK
Nov. 5, 2011, 09:02 AM
Is that a general rule proposal? Because other than hb line classes I can't think of any rated /j classes wth age requirements? But I know the breed world lives and dies on that junior/senior horse division...

S A McKee
Nov. 5, 2011, 09:09 AM
Is that a general rule proposal? Because other than hb line classes I can't think of any rated /j classes wth age requirements? But I know the breed world lives and dies on that junior/senior horse division...

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/126-11.pdf

General rule change.
Five year old, six year old , seven/eight year old jumpers all require age proof ( supposedly ).

There is a jumper rule change proposal that establishes an official age certification form and there is a similar 'hemisphere' change in the jumper section

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/127-11.pdf
http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/388-11.pdf