PDA

View Full Version : looking for a jumper trainer in Tomball, TX

JustMyStyle
Nov. 2, 2011, 12:30 PM
I just moved to Tomball, TX (just north of Houston by the Woodlands) and I'm looking for some pointers on trainers in the area. I used to do jumpers but spent a few years with dressage and western horses so my skills over fences are rusty. I'd like to get going back in the 3'6" and up range in the next year. I don't know anyone out here and was thinking this would be a good place to get some opinions :winkgrin:

Dennis Henderson is near by but I've heard very mixed reviews....

Also a Jaun Gonzalez is a 10min drive but haven't heard anything good or bad.

meupatdoes
Nov. 2, 2011, 12:32 PM
John DeLeyer.

Nicest guy on the face of the planet.
And knows his stuff too.

Have heard the same as OP has on Dennis Henderson.

huntereq1991
Nov. 2, 2011, 12:45 PM
I will second John DeLeyer. Never heard a bad thing about him.

You might also want to check out this site: http://thja.org/Trainers/Trainers.aspx

Tollriffic
Nov. 2, 2011, 02:39 PM
Jessica Law over on Juergen Rd (jnlstables.com)

JustMyStyle
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks so much! It's just nice to have a good reference for someone :)

Woodsperson
Nov. 2, 2011, 11:14 PM
I'll second Jessica Law at jnlstables.com

Wizard of Oz's
Nov. 3, 2011, 12:40 AM
Third vote for John Deleyer! Definitely check him out, he really knows what he's talking about and his riders and kids are really nice and not snobby brats!

huntereq1991
Nov. 3, 2011, 02:44 PM
I know I already posted on this thread, but I wanted to put in another vote for Jessica Law. Wonderful trainer and very professional.

H/J farm
Nov. 16, 2011, 03:07 PM
Www.christianrogge.com
Www.slyfieldfarm.com

bekkaboucher
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:12 AM
I know I'm a little late to the conversation, but I've ridden with three of the trainers mentioned above. My favorite was Dennis. I don't know if he trains anymore though. He was awesome. Christian was awesome as well, but had more of a temper. If you have thicker skin and can handle his gruffness, then go for it. He knows what he's doing...I also rode with his step daughter, Jessica Law, but not with her as my trainer. I will say she is one talented rider! I can only imagine how great of a trainer she probably is.

Now, as far as Shannon Slyfield (used to be Hendricks)....stay away. She might be a decent rider, but she can't train for crap. She likes to hold her students back unnecessarily to make sure they can't outgrow her. Please. Do yourself a favor and don't even consider her. I had to learn the hard way.

H/J farm
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:43 PM
If you are still looking, which hopefully not as this post is almost 5 months old... You can look at www.horseshowsonline.com and look at shows and trainers that went to them and see their results. This is the only honest way. People can post anything and blast people but results say it all.
:)

Sonesta
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:43 AM
Wow. I don't know who you are, bekkaboucher, but you couldn't be more wrong about Shannon Slyfield! She is one of the best hunter/jumper trainers in the area. Really top class and has been for many years.

Excellent with the horses and has brought many, many horses and riders along to the upper levels. And she is easy to get along with and a kind instructor. And she trains out of a very nice facility.

I call BS on your post and believe it has to be something personal.

ESG
Mar. 5, 2012, 03:40 PM
Damn, is it troll season again already?!?! :lol:

"bekka", belt up. Just because you clearly had a problem with Shannon, doesn't make her a bad rider or trainer. As others have said, go on horseshowsonline or the USEF website and check out her results; pretty impressive.

Now you, with the one post and that being to bash someone, not so much. :p

Go back under your rock.

Sonesta
Mar. 5, 2012, 06:36 PM
Yes, just FYI looking at last two shows (both in the big Gulfport A shows) Feb 29 either Shannon or one of her students placed 1-6 (mostly 1-3) in 24 classes. On Feb 22, they placed (again mostly 1-3) in 23 classes.

I'd say she's doing something right.

JustMyStyle
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all the input, I have found a farm with a trainer both my horse and I are happy with!!

texassbc
Aug. 10, 2012, 05:52 PM
I grew up here and rode here most of my life. Now I'm looking for a new hunter/jumper barn. Where did you decide to ride, JustMyStyle?

hunterrider23
Aug. 10, 2012, 06:12 PM
Isn't John Deleyer the hilarious trainer that was dancing at the in gate at Brandywine Valley? He's sounds like a bunch of fun, I'd love to have him as a trainer.

showponies
Aug. 10, 2012, 07:58 PM
I grew up here and rode here most of my life. Now I'm looking for a new hunter/jumper barn. Where did you decide to ride, JustMyStyle?

Gates Equestrian is located in Magnolia, please visit www.gateseqsmfponie.webs.com/

Rio Blanco
Aug. 11, 2012, 04:09 PM
I think Daniel Bedoya just moved to that area not too long ago. I've taken a couple lessons with him and would definitely recommend him. I think it's Bedoya Training Stables in The Woodlands? They have a website.