PDA

View Full Version : Best open front boots?

reay6790
Nov. 2, 2011, 08:48 AM
For jumpers. I just don't want fleece insides.

What are your favorites and why? I was looking at the veredus pro lights but i read that some people had issues with them. are eskadrons that great? what about those T-1 boots?

Sorry, new in open front boot world :) I come from a land of heidis and polos.

cswoodlandfairy
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:01 AM

What are your favorites and why? I was looking at the veredus pro lights but i read that some people had issues with them. are eskadrons that great? what about those T-1 boots?

I use the T-1 boots all around and love them! They are wearing great and really easy to clean up. The liners are made of shock absorbant material and are easily removable to wash and clean.

I also have a pair of the Beval LTD boots for some of the more formal shows, but mine come with a fleece inside, but I know they come without as well.

cswoodlandfairy
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:01 AM

I use the T-1 boots all around and love them! They are wearing great and really easy to clean up. The liners are made of shock absorbant material and are easily removable to wash and clean.

I also have a pair of the Beval LTD boots for some of the more formal shows, but mine come with a fleece inside, but I know they come without as well.

Pally
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:21 AM
The nicest boots you can get IMO, for fit and look are the T boot luxe, but they come with a price tag for sure!

Having been spoiled by using the luxe, the regular T boots outsides just don't do it for me....but the removable liners are still awesome.

I also love the Veredus carbon gels. They are easy to take care of (and if they get disastrously muddy, I even throw them in the wash machine with no issue), exceptionally quick to take on and off, and I think look smart. The only thing is they are very "shaped" so if you have a horse with fat tree trunk legs, they might not be the right fit....but for most average horses they are great. Price is middle of the road, so for me these would be the top pick overall on someone doing only jumpers, and wanting value for the money.

reay6790
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:23 AM
He is a thick thoroughbred but has very "defined" legs. no tree trunks but aren't going to snap either.

Rel6
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:12 AM
I really like Eskadrons. Super easy to clean after jumper rounds in the mud!

meupatdoes
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:13 AM
I have been using the same single set of Eskadrons on all of my horses for the past 6 years. (naters, I bought them in Germany for half the money and carried them over myself so Frantisi didn't distribute them!)

They are the regular fronts with the flex panel at the top.

I have to say those boots still look show-ready. I have owned multiple horses for all of those years and those boots have gone on an average of 10-15 rides a week for the past 6 years, which means I have been using that one set of boots for over 20% of my entire riding career and they have gone on over 3,000 rides -many of them long trail rides through streams (as in riding up the stream, not just crossing it) and rough terrain. And they still look like new.

I have been tempted by the Eskadron Memos or the mesh-insert ones for better cooling on the legs but my 6 year old boots will. not. die. and I haven't been able to justify replacing them yet because there are basically no signs of wear. I am like, come on man, feed me a bone, get a little crack in the neoprene somewhere or something,

So, I have to say, the longevity of the regular no frills Eskadron has been pretty impressive, and all of my horses have fared well in them in meantime.

I am sure in 2025 I will be posting about my damn Eskadrons I've had for a decade that WON'T. DIE. :lol::lol:

Xbittersweet
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:28 AM
I love my Eskadron Memos. The are holding up great, fit great, and look pretty good for boots. I also have the matching backs too. My jumper natuy tracks up and ends up clipping his front legs with the hind legs an they do a great job protecting him

indygirl2560
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:52 AM
I love my equifit boots. I have an older pair with velcro and a newer pair with the metal tabs. They're both really easy to clean, hold up well to a lot of abuse, fit well, and look nice. I use them for schooling and showing. I've had eskadrons in the past and they fall apart too quickly. They were also a pain to get clean. The equifit boots have removable liners you can just toss in the wash!

PNWjumper
Nov. 2, 2011, 12:04 PM
I have a few pairs of open front boots. I have 6 or 7 pairs of eskadrons (regular and gel-fit), equifit T-boots (I think mine are the EXPs?), thinline boots (very similar to eskadrons), and 5 or 6 pairs of leather open fronts both fleece and neoprene lined.

The only ones I ever pull out for shows these days are the T-boots and the eskadrons. I don't love how much water the T-boots absorb and hold onto, so if it's really gross out I'll use my eskadrons (and just use a different pair each day). If it's decent out (meaning no cantering through puddles) I use the T-boots. Mine don't have removable linings, though, and I don't find them to be the easiest boots to clean.

My eskadrons vary in age going back maybe 13 or 14 years? And all of them still look good enough to show in. The white pairs are a little less than white now, but since I don't have many white legs left on the property it's tough to tell when they're on a horse.

Herbie19
Nov. 2, 2011, 12:27 PM
I can't seem to kill my Eskadrons either. I have one pair that I use everyday that have to be ten years old. They go in the washing machine once a week and get boot polish slapped on them for horse shows. I would love a pair of T boots though!

meupatdoes
Nov. 2, 2011, 12:36 PM
I can't seem to kill my Eskadrons either. I have one pair that I use everyday that have to be ten years old.

...damn it.

My horse and I are going to qualify for the Century Club and he will still be wearing these relics.

Herbie19
Nov. 2, 2011, 02:47 PM
...damn it.

My horse and I are going to qualify for the Century Club and he will still be wearing these relics.

Love it! The horse I bought those Eskadrons for is 22 now-both he and his boots are getting a little crusty but they're all still going strong!!!

vxf111
Nov. 2, 2011, 03:11 PM
I have a pair of the T Boot Luxe and I have to say, I am not super thrilled with how they've worn. I had the Dover Eskadron knock offs, quality wasn't as good on those either. I also have a cheapo Roma set and they too started to show wear.

In general, my preference is the Eskadrons, and for brushing boots I just ADORE the Woof boots. I like them better than open fronts, to be honest. Wear like iron, look new, and wash in the washing machine. I wish they came in some slightly less neon/bright colors (I'd dig hunter green, for example) but otherwise I love them.

vxf111
Nov. 2, 2011, 03:12 PM
I have seen 1 pair of Eskadrons where the velcro ripped clean off... somewhat without warning. But other than that, they seem to wear very well. Maybe that was a bad pair?

purplnurpl
Nov. 2, 2011, 04:41 PM
cheap a$$ romas.

Open fronts are open fronts. They all have a hard shell. The only difference is in the type of closure, the type of fabric on the inside, and the design on the outside.
But they all do the exact same thing.

There is a thread that I started just over a month ago called:

Verdus knock off open fronts

or something like that.
It included a link for some Verdus knock offs that cost 25 bucks.

I bought them in purple for the little girl to wear at jumper shows. They are super cute.

Personally I LOVE the Roma pro pack.
http://www.legacytack.com/pc/10678/BRUSHBOOT/Roma+Competitor+Seriers+Boot+Pack.html

at the very top of the back shell there is a wedge cut out so that if the boots are just a tad too long (which they are on my dinky 15h QHs) the horse won't have plastic digging into the back of it's knee when it jacks it's gear up over a fence...it's soft cloth.

I prefer the wide straps of the romas as well. I think it decreases pressure points on the front of the cannon.

bluebuckets
Nov. 2, 2011, 04:49 PM
Lovin' my Veredus Carbon Gels. Get them from Amira Equi at a substantial discount. They also carry all the other Veredus boots, for great prices. I think they have cheap Eskadrons, too, but you'll have to double check that.

alto
Nov. 2, 2011, 05:15 PM
for brushing boots I just ADORE the Woof boots. I like them better than open fronts, to be honest. Wear like iron, look new, and wash in the washing machine. I wish they came in some slightly less neon/bright colors (I'd dig hunter green, for example) but otherwise I love them.

The Woof's brushing boots have always included black, white, black/hunter green (http://www.classicsaddlery.com/bootshorse/exercise.htm), black/navy in their line, some of their other boots are available in only black, white.

The best boot is always the one that fits your horse the best; measure your guys legs & start from there.

reay6790
Nov. 2, 2011, 06:57 PM
i have woof boots. and yes they come in hunter green :)

vxf111
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:29 PM
The Woof's brushing boots have always included black, white, black/hunter green (http://www.classicsaddlery.com/bootshorse/exercise.htm), black/navy in their line, some of their other boots are available in only black, white.

The best boot is always the one that fits your horse the best; measure your guys legs & start from there.

No one common seems to carry the hunter green? Not Dover, Smartpak, VTO, Ricks, etc. But I appreciate the link because I guess Classic Saddlery does! I sense an order in my future!

vxf111
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:30 PM
Oh wait, sorry, I *only* like the 2 strap Woofs. And those don't come in hunter green. I hate the ones with 4-5 straps. Too fussy!

reay6790
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:52 PM
oh you are being too fussy! 2 extra straps won't hurt you:)

alto
Nov. 3, 2011, 03:50 AM
Oh wait, sorry, I *only* like the 2 strap Woofs. And those don't come in hunter green. I hate the ones with 4-5 straps. Too fussy!

Sorry didn't even notice - must admit I prefer the 2 strap as well.

Go to the source (http://www.woofwear.com/for-horses/brushing-boots/1/) - Classic may be willing to order in whatever color you like if you don't want to go Woof direct.

Maybe you'll find a color you like here (http://www.heartlandsaddlery.com/products/WOOF-WEAR-Club-Brushing-Boot.html) - lots of local shops have the odd Woof - but only the 2 strap version :lol: & generally only the black or white & one other color & a bizarre collection of sizes ...
Note that the Canadians get changing base color :winkgrin:

while...

The Americans get changing strap color :eek:
The US stockist (http://www.toklat.com/dyn_prod.php?p=11-2120&k=87214) - this one is the most fun yet for color play :yes:
A friend who had hers brought in from the UK got the purple clor & it actually looked quite smashing on her grey :yes:
- me I think I'm going to have to resist the buttercup ...

(or maybe not :uhoh: )

Little.Wing
Nov. 3, 2011, 04:05 AM
Verdus carbon.

GoingUp...POP!
Nov. 3, 2011, 08:23 AM
Eskadrons really are that great. I would never use another type of boot on my horses.

They are pricey, but you get what you pay for.

vxf111
Nov. 3, 2011, 08:36 AM
oh you are being too fussy! 2 extra straps won't hurt you:)

The smaller pieces of velcro aren't as strong and tend to peel up/get worn out and destroyed much quicker on the 5 strappers. I think the design of the 2 strappers and the thickness of the velcro are particularly ingenious, it's the reason I like the Woof boots so much in the first place. Since those are the more common style, it's weird that they don't do them in the more sedate colors?!

sansibar
Nov. 3, 2011, 09:06 AM
I switch between my T-boots exp and my Veredus Baloubet pro's. I love them both, and they are so easy to clean and care for.

GaMare
Nov. 3, 2011, 01:04 PM
The tack fashionista at our barn (multiple horses/price is no object) just introduced me to Tekna boots. Pretty enough to use for equ boots and even her grand prix horse is competing in them now. Best part- only $50 for a pair!

DMK
Nov. 3, 2011, 02:07 PM
I like the T-fit boots, although as a hunter princess I don't bother with the expensive version, just the economy model. I'm only using the front boots when we are on trails (steep going) or doing something new and I'm worried he's going to knock himself. And he's finally getting strong enough behind that he isn't striking the hind ankle boots on the regular, so those get used less and less.

Sigh... nothing would make me happier than to indulge my love of boots and have a tupperware bin full of them... oh wait, I do... Utterly useless, but I love them. They are like horse jewelry to me.

TheHorseProblem
Nov. 22, 2011, 03:46 PM
I just bought some of the T-1 boots and am wondering if they run small or what. I usually need a medium of any kind of splint or dressage boot for my horsie's front legs, but the MLG size seem really tight, like I can't quite et the bottom strap over onto the velcro.

GingerJumper
Nov. 22, 2011, 05:22 PM
cheap a$$ romas.

Open fronts are open fronts. They all have a hard shell. The only difference is in the type of closure, the type of fabric on the inside, and the design on the outside.
But they all do the exact same thing.

There is a thread that I started just over a month ago called:

Verdus knock off open fronts

or something like that.
It included a link for some Verdus knock offs that cost 25 bucks.

I bought them in purple for the little girl to wear at jumper shows. They are super cute.

Personally I LOVE the Roma pro pack.
http://www.legacytack.com/pc/10678/BRUSHBOOT/Roma+Competitor+Seriers+Boot+Pack.html

at the very top of the back shell there is a wedge cut out so that if the boots are just a tad too long (which they are on my dinky 15h QHs) the horse won't have plastic digging into the back of it's knee when it jacks it's gear up over a fence...it's soft cloth.

I prefer the wide straps of the romas as well. I think it decreases pressure points on the front of the cannon.

I have Romas as well, just a different model. Cheap and they just keep going, I love them!

I recently picked up a pair of Pro Choice Ventech front boots and I have to say that so far I've been pretty impressed. I've yet to use my newest acquisition, my KL Selects, but they look pretty nice and have interchangeable liners, which I think is fantastic.