PDA

View Full Version : Getting Motivated/Making the Change

Gnomeland
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:08 AM
I've been having issues lately with my riding. My horse is finally starting to get more reliable and seems to have gotten his "crazies" out. (we had issues with refusals, spooking, etc) Now I'm having trouble switching from the "get it done" mentality to actually working on perfecting the details. I'm also having issues getting motivated to really improve things. I'm not sure why, but it's almost like I've become content to just stay where I am as a rider which isn't true but I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe I'm burnt out?

M. O'Connor
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:32 AM
Sounds like you need to set a few goals to work toward. This could be a competitive goal (a particular show), a clinic, or simply setting your sights on the next level of competence if you prefer to stay at home.

One of the things I love most about our sport is that there are always new things to strive towards, no matter what level the rider or horse.

Your trainer should be able to help you determine realistic and achievable goals to work toward, both short term (get it done today) and long term (ready for ---? by next season), and then devise a program that will enable you to reach them.

BeeHoney
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:13 AM
Two things. Remember to have some fun, go do some trails or ride with some friends, do some "fitness" gallops, whatever.

Secondly, analyze your training situation. Sometimes I get "bored" with horses that are at or close to the limit of what I know how to teach them because I just don't know what to do with them next. In this case, it's time to work with a trainer who will show you the next step and who will give you homework and help you set new training goals. M. O'Connor is right, there are always things to work on, and nothing wrong with getting some extra help like a clinic or some extra lessons to figure out what those things are and how to approach them.

myalter1
Nov. 2, 2011, 11:42 AM
I find that i, too, get "stuck." I've been working my greenie for the past year just to 'get it done'...which wasn't much. He was so unpredictable and squirrel-y (for lack of a better word.) Now, after a grain change, he is quieter and more
business-like. It seems, however, that I am the one who is stuck in a rut. I keep trying to perfect the same stuff and seem to have a hesitancy to move on and try to introduce new things. I can't afford a trainer at present and I know that's part of the problem. I KNOW we are progressing, just not as fast as I would like.

ClassyRide
Nov. 2, 2011, 12:03 PM
I don't know what your situation is and whether this is possible for you... but never underestimate the power of a break. I have had times in the past where I felt like you and took a couple of weeks completely off from riding. I came back with a renewed vigor.

I also have recently been forced into a break from health issues. It's been probably 6 months or more since I've been able to ride on a regular basis. I finally got the surgery I needed and am well on my road to recovery. By now I'm DIEING to get back into the saddle and start working on stuff!!! It's incredible what a break can do for you.

Another option would be what others have already suggested - setting goals. I love doing this, and find that I simply cannot stay motivated without them. :yes:

Gnomeland
Nov. 3, 2011, 07:23 AM
Thanks! All very helpful advice. :)

ParadoxFarm
Nov. 3, 2011, 04:55 PM
Do you work with a trainer? I find that when I work alone, I don't do as much. I tend to get "lazy" as a rider. But when in lessons I cannot do that. I also know during the week in between lessons I better work on things and do my homework, so to speak.

It also helps me to ride another horse. I am working two right now that are very different from each other and it helps me keep motivated for some reason. I know not everyone has access to more than one horse, but if you do, see if you can ride another one.

Good luck!

Gnomeland
Nov. 4, 2011, 08:59 AM
Yes, I do take lessons once a week.