PDA

View Full Version : Sonoma County People- Please Help

Wonders12
Nov. 2, 2011, 03:37 AM
I need a list of good businesses!

I'm on the Sonoma State Equestrian Team and I'm struggling with getting riders outfitted for shows. There are several places we hit up and I recommend, but it seems like options are lacking. I know where are quite a few people from Sonoma County on here so maybe you can give some feedback?

I'm looking for:
~ Tack shops for the "big things" (breeches, boots, coats, shirts)
~ Tack shops for the "little things" (hair nets, gloves, etc.)
~ Consignment stores
~ Embroiderer? for collars
~ Tailor for show coats
~ Boot place that will polish/repair/put in zippers

We're poor college students so inexpensive is nice, but good/decent is obviously important too. And just putting it out there that any places willing to give us discounts can be listed as a team sponsor. Just saying... :winkgrin:

Wonders12
Nov. 2, 2011, 04:13 PM
Bump for people who actually sleep at night. :)

MIKES MCS
Nov. 2, 2011, 04:23 PM
I deal with alot of IHSA teams as I have used and consignment..If you don't have any of those in the area and if your very good with measurements, I'd say Ebay is your best bet..

Star's Ascent
Nov. 2, 2011, 04:24 PM
I'm sure you guys have already tried Jake's? Other than that I'm not really very helpful. I'm not from Sonoma County but I've been to Jake's when it was still Offutt's. Most of the time we couldn't find it unless we got lost first! There is a place called Equestrian Concierge in Petaluma also. Haven't been there, just on the website and calling to harass them about saddles when I was looking. http://www.equestrianconcierge.com/

I'm in a similar situation that there are no good tack stores up here in the Sacramento area. We just got home from a trip down south and went to Mary's Tack for the first time ever. I didn't go while I lived there because I didn't have a horse down there with me and there was no reason to buy stuff I didn't need. (I make up for that now) It was amazing and overwhelming! I wanted to go back a second day but my husband somehow managed to not go there.

Watermark Farm
Nov. 2, 2011, 04:40 PM
Hi Wonders --- SSU alumna here!

Go talk to Michelle Helberg, the owner of Saddles to Boots on Highway 12. It's a consignment place and a good spot to find show gear. Michelle is a really nice person who gives a lot back to the community.

Try Jake's in Petaluma as well. Ask the owner about ordering less expensive show clothes for you --- she seems to not have a lot in stock but can order just about anything.

Email me, I have other contacts for you as far as tailoring, boots, embroidery go. Also have a source for used show clothes. I'd also love to talk to you about the SSU team. My daughter is a high school junior and an eventer and she's considering Fresno and SSU.... Katie --- watermarkfarm1@yahoo.com

bluebuckets
Nov. 2, 2011, 04:47 PM
Sorry, but I think the internet is your best bet. Try ebay, equestrian collections, Dover clearance, Smartpak clearance, craigslist, asking around the barn (organize a swap!), and the like. I don't go into local tack shops anymore unless I need something like, yesterday. (example: I'm showing the next day and need gloves. NOT: I'm looking for 3 new pairs of show breeches 2 months before the season starts.)

However, lots of the vendors at the shows are having season's end clearances. Great time to look around! Head over to Sac International, there should be some good stuff there. Shop before you watch the Qualifier.

The embroidery shop that comes to most of the shows in this area is awesome, love them. A little bit pricey, but really beautiful work. They will also do custom logos. They will not be at Sac International, but they were at Halloween Show. (Can't remember their name, sorry!)

Try to stay away from name brand products when you're shopping for the little items (gloves, hairnets, socks, etc.)- this will save you a lot of money. And yes, breeches are considered a "little item." From across a big ring, you can't see the little Tailored Sportsman tag. All you can see is whether the breeches are clean, a good color and well-fitting.
Another piece you can save on? A show shirt. Get one that is comfy, a good color, and fits well. It's under your coat anyway, so no one will know whether it's a trendy $120 shirt or one you picked up on clearance for $40.

One last thing: gently used items are your best friend!

Good Luck! ;)

chunky munky
Nov. 2, 2011, 05:01 PM
Check out Georgina Bloomberg's charity, The Rider's Closet. Made for school teams and others without big budgets.

mountainbells
Nov. 2, 2011, 05:03 PM
Don't know if it is still in business, but Buckeye Ranch Tack shop in the Vacaville area (it's about a mile off I-80) used to have a great selection of tack and clothing.

mountainbells
Nov. 2, 2011, 05:04 PM
I couldn't find a website but did find this info:

Buckeye Ranch & Saddle Shop

(707) 678-3512

7638 N Meridian Rd
Vacaville, CA 95688

Star's Ascent
Nov. 2, 2011, 05:08 PM
Buckeye is still open. Haven't been there but some of the girls at the barn have. Just don't call to ask about saddles. The person that answers the phone pretty much just says, yes, we have saddles, come down anytime. Which doesn't help when you are looking for something specific and driving a ways!

LeeB10
Nov. 2, 2011, 05:09 PM
I need a list of good businesses!

I'm on the Sonoma State Equestrian Team and I'm struggling with getting riders outfitted for shows. There are several places we hit up and I recommend, but it seems like options are lacking. I know where are quite a few people from Sonoma County on here so maybe you can give some feedback?

I'm looking for:
~ Tack shops for the "big things" (breeches, boots, coats, shirts)
~ Tack shops for the "little things" (hair nets, gloves, etc.)
~ Consignment stores
~ Embroiderer? for collars
~ Tailor for show coats
~ Boot place that will polish/repair/put in zippers

We're poor college students so inexpensive is nice, but good/decent is obviously important too. And just putting it out there that any places willing to give us discounts can be listed as a team sponsor. Just saying... :winkgrin:

Jakes Place in Petaluma is good for breeches, boots, coats, and shirts. Call in advance to make sure their show truck is there because that is where most of their stuff tends to be - on the truck. Talk to Julie to see if you can get a discount. Here is their contact information:

http://www.offutts.webs.com/

and this is Julie's facebook: http://www.facebook.com/julsg1

Boot place for keeping boots in order is on Petaluma Blvd by Walnut Park. They are reasonable and do a great job - will polish them for a small additional fee.

302 Petaluma Boulevard South
Petaluma
(707) 765-1633

Rivertown in Petaluma carries stuff for the horse like medicines, shampoo, picks, brushes, lead ropes, halters, etc. and if you buy a discount card for 5.00 then you can get 10% off everything. Maybe if you explain who you are they will give you a discount card.

http://www.rivertownfeed.com/

Saddles to Boots - resale shop

http://www.saddlestoboots.com/

also you can hit up the horse shows at Riverside Equestrian or at the Fairgrounds because a lot of vendors show up there - also there is a tack shop located at Riverside. (ha it is called Sonoma horse park now) The tack shop sells new and used.

http://www.sonomahorsepark.com/

This is the tack shop located there:

http://www.equestrianconcierge.com/

message me if you need anything else... :)

LeeB10
Nov. 2, 2011, 05:13 PM
also at the horse shows is the embroidery person who does the collars.