PDA

View Full Version : Where to advertise Retirement/Rehab Board?

buschkn
Nov. 2, 2011, 02:31 AM
I am going to start offering retiree and lay up board as well as young horse raising. I have a nice place in KY, but it is a little far from major HJ areas to draw a lot of boarders. Any thoughts on places to advertise, other than COTH, obviously. I've already planned on that. :)

dags
Nov. 2, 2011, 08:47 AM
Sigh. I wish I could justify putting my old man on the trailer from CA.

Sorry, not much help for your actual question :) I'm trying to think of something but really not coming up with anything. I'd venture a classified ad in the back of COTH would have the most reach.

SMF11
Nov. 2, 2011, 01:52 PM
I do retirement boarding on my private farm. I have found BY FAR the best "marketing" is word of mouth. I expect this would be the case no matter what your price point (there's a retirement farm a mile from my house which charges *more* than $2,000/month and I've never seen him advertise).

Things I've done: -put up a facebook page. I have gotten a few calls from it, but none were remotely a good fit.
- had business cards done up, left at vets' office etc, don't think I've ever gotten a call from this.
- did a homemade flyer with pictures on my computer. This has had the best results. I had a friend put it up in the post office about 50 miles south of me (where board is astronomically higher). I got a single call from that, however, she's turned into a boarder. I also sent it out, for example when I had to send something to an equine vet south of me I included it with a note saying if she ever had any clients looking for retirement homes to please pass along my details. I didn't get any of her clients, but I did get her own retired horse from that.
-"advertised" on the local pony club email list
- sent an email to all of my horsey friends with the farm details saying I had a vacancy and to please pass it along to anyone who might be interested. I got a new boarder that way.

Five years after starting, I am now bursting at the seams and completely full. But it takes a few years for your reputation and the word to spread. Good luck! Look at Paradigm Farms for other good marketing ideas.

You'll have to also decide what part of the country is your target market. Local? Then a flyer at the feed store works. National? Then you need a really good website. You get the idea.

buschkn
Nov. 2, 2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the ideas so far. Any others? I have a website for my farm in general, and my sale horses etc, but haven't made a specific boarding page. It would probably be time to update that I suppose! :)

buschkn
Nov. 2, 2011, 02:24 PM
Sigh. I wish I could justify putting my old man on the trailer from CA.

Sorry, not much help for your actual question :) I'm trying to think of something but really not coming up with anything. I'd venture a classified ad in the back of COTH would have the most reach.

If you're paying board in CA, I'd wager that in 2-3 months you'd make back the transport costs in lower board rates and happier ponies! ;)

findeight
Nov. 2, 2011, 02:47 PM
Vets.

Rye
Nov. 2, 2011, 02:47 PM
Well, I'd think about placing an ad in the Prize Lists for the shows in Lexington. Or a cheaper idea might be making up a flyer, and passing them out to trainers/barns at the show. You could also pass them out at WEF?

A targeted approach would be to send a letter/ad to the big show barns in the Northern states, (I could give you the addys for the trainers in MN), because some may have clients who want to retire a horse to a warmer climate AND the trainer might want to clear the retirees out to make room for clients new show horse. Offer them a referral fee if a client horse comes down (a couple hundred bucks)

dags
Nov. 2, 2011, 03:04 PM
If you're paying board in CA, I'd wager that in 2-3 months you'd make back the transport costs in lower board rates and happier ponies! ;)

You'd think, but old man has the deal of all deals! Couple hundred acres in the Santa Ynez valley for couple hundred a month, and year round temps of about 60-70 degrees. If I moved him out here it would undeniably be an act of selfishness . . . which I would do :D but not sure how well he'd handle that trailer ride (or if he'd ever forgive me).

dags
Nov. 2, 2011, 03:06 PM
Well, I'd think about placing an ad in the Prize Lists for the shows in Lexington. Or a cheaper idea might be making up a flyer, and passing them out to trainers/barns at the show. You could also pass them out at WEF?

A targeted approach would be to send a letter/ad to the big show barns in the Northern states, (I could give you the addys for the trainers in MN), because some may have clients who want to retire a horse to a warmer climate AND the trainer might want to clear the retirees out to make room for clients new show horse. Offer them a referral fee if a client horse comes down (a couple hundred bucks)

Rye's on to something. Won't be much going on at the Horse Park until next year but I would hang well done flyers up during the big shows. It's great for someone that lives out of state but knows they will be at the Horse Park several times a year and could check on/say hi to the retiree.

southernbell
Nov. 2, 2011, 03:06 PM
Sort of on this line....

My barn is currently empty with DD's horses and ponies gone on to new adventures - I would love to rent the whole barn/horse portion of the property out to someone (keeping one stall for the new munchkin when he comes east) where might be a good place to advertise that?? It's probably best suited to a retirement/rehab situation.....

Any thoughts??