PDA

View Full Version : Stirrups for chronic knee pain?

flogarty
Nov. 1, 2011, 07:28 PM
Hello!

I'm posting for a friend. Does anyone have stirrup recommendations for a person with chronic knee pain?

She has always ridden in normal fillis irons. Another friend (with ankle issues) uses Herm Sprenger stirrups, and recommends those irons. Any other opinions? There is also a pair from Equiwing- the description in Dover says that these stirrups will help with knee and back pain, but my friend is hesitant to buy them since they are not traditional irons.

Thanks in advance!

candysgirl
Nov. 1, 2011, 08:33 PM
I like my cheap Sta-Brite jointed stirrups. They make my knees MUCH happier. And at around $40, they're not a huge investment if they don't help. I prefer those because they don't have as much flex as some of the more expensive ones. They give enough to make my knees happier, but not so much they make my leg feel unstable.

I have the black ones so I don't feel like they stick out too badly.

kelsey97
Nov. 1, 2011, 09:52 PM
I've had 2 surgeries on 1 knee, I feel your friend's pain quite literally. I use Royal Riders, the composite "irons" are so much more shock absorbing than metal ones.

Sunnyhorse
Nov. 1, 2011, 11:12 PM
I love my basic Sprengers. A few years ago I plumped for a set of Sprenger Bow Balances, but my trainer hated what they did to my leg and I was having excruciating pain down the length of my outer lower leg, so I lent/gave them to a friend, and she seems to like them. I gave a set of Sprenger knock-offs (can't remember the brand, just that they weren't Sprengers) to another friend (also in her forties and also having knee pain) for Christmas a few years back, and she swears by them.

allintexas
Nov. 1, 2011, 11:51 PM
I have a bad knee and bad ankle, and I find that the jointed stirrups help. Mine are (i think) Herm Sprengers

buschkn
Nov. 2, 2011, 02:28 AM
I used to use HS regular jointed, or knock off brand jointed, and switched to Bow Balance a year or so ago. Last week at a show my left knee was really bothering again, and I had been noticing for a while that in photos I was always leaning right.

I tried a new set of the composite stirrups with the wide foot pad and very slightly flexible joint and my knee pain went away immediately and my SO says I look like I am not leaning anymore. For me these seem to be the right balance of give without too much give. Similar stirrups also helped a friend with chronic ankle pain who also rode very crooked before.

Good luck!

TrotTrotPumpkn
Nov. 2, 2011, 12:55 PM
I have knee pain in my right leg, and for those with composite stirrups, what brand do you recommend or not recommend?

I have tried riding in my friend's HS jointed stirrups (gray rubber sides) and they had too much give. I did not like them.

JustABay
Nov. 2, 2011, 01:08 PM
I tried a friend's MDC irons, and I found they made a big difference for me. I have arthritis in both knees, and ride in regular sprengers normally but find they don't do much for me anymore.

Across Sicily
Nov. 2, 2011, 07:11 PM
MDC Ultimate stirrups. I noticed a very large difference switching from normal fillis irons to my MDCs. After ripping up my knee earlier this year, I was very happy to have them!

GingerJumper
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:03 PM
Light weight wide tracks. I did switch back to normal Fillis irons once the pain was resolved, but the difference was dramatic.

stolen virtue
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:16 PM
I have almost no left knee and my right was seriously injured last year. I love my regular fillis irons. I cannot use the cheese grater pads-I can barely walk after but the regular fillis work great. I've always been told that without great knees, you need to build up your quads. I can only ski if I have been riding.

doublesstable
Nov. 3, 2011, 03:22 PM
I've had 2 surgeries on 1 knee, I feel your friend's pain quite literally. I use Royal Riders, the composite "irons" are so much more shock absorbing than metal ones.

I have knee pain as well riding in regular fillis irons.. I use the Royal Riders (NOT the jointed ones) using the cheese grater inserts and I love them. No more knee pain.

The footbed is wider and the composite must absorbe like kelsey says because they do work well.

I tried the jointed HS irons and I kept curling my toes around the stirrup foot bed because the joints move around... So for someone that isn't used to the jointed I think the RR solid stirrups work really well.

OveroHunter
Nov. 3, 2011, 05:47 PM
I have knee pain as well riding in regular fillis irons.. I use the Royal Riders (NOT the jointed ones) using the cheese grater inserts and I love them. No more knee pain.

The footbed is wider and the composite must absorbe like kelsey says because they do work well.

I tried the jointed HS irons and I kept curling my toes around the stirrup foot bed because the joints move around... So for someone that isn't used to the jointed I think the RR solid stirrups work really well.

The angled Royal Riders?

I use HS jointed stirrups with an angled pad on my bad leg and normal HS pad on the other. It really helps, but kind of looks strange.

Auburn
Nov. 3, 2011, 06:21 PM
MDC Ultimates have solved my knee pain.

I used to use only one click on each side. This summer, an Ortho Doc found that I am borderline in needing a total left knee replacement.

I got Ortho Visc injections to get me through the eventing season. I changed the MDC Ultimates to two clicks on the left and one on the right.

Doing that worked so well that I am putting off having the knee replacement surgery.

I finished my eventing season as the Reserve Champion in the Area8 BN Championships. :D

hntrjmprpro45
Nov. 3, 2011, 08:18 PM
I am torn between the MDC ultimate stirrups and the bow balance Herm Sprenger stirrups. I just had knee surgery 4 weeks ago (torn ACL and lateral meniscus) and wont be allowed to ride until February so I still have lots of time to decide which to buy.

Does anyone have thoughts on the MDC vs. Herm Sprenger stirrups? Which has a wider footbed? Which is heavier?

doublesstable
Nov. 4, 2011, 12:53 PM
The angled Royal Riders?

I use HS jointed stirrups with an angled pad on my bad leg and normal HS pad on the other. It really helps, but kind of looks strange.

Non Flex series Classic 5's.

http://www.royalriderstirrups.com/products.html

Sunnyhorse
Nov. 5, 2011, 12:11 PM
I am torn between the MDC ultimate stirrups and the bow balance Herm Sprenger stirrups. I just had knee surgery 4 weeks ago (torn ACL and lateral meniscus) and wont be allowed to ride until February so I still have lots of time to decide which to buy.

Does anyone have thoughts on the MDC vs. Herm Sprenger stirrups? Which has a wider footbed? Which is heavier?

I can only speak from my experience, but be careful of your knee with the Bow Balances -- they did some very strange (and painful) things to the soft tissue of my lower leg.

Eye in the Sky
Nov. 5, 2011, 03:37 PM
I went from the 4-way HS's to the Ultimate MDC's and both my back AND my knees are much better! I don't think I would be able to ride without them...I hope I'll be allowed to hunt in them when I get to that point!

cek
Nov. 5, 2011, 09:40 PM
I have had good luck with an inexpensive pair of the jointed irons and they immediately felt more secure and easier to keep on, in position and I felt more in position...and no knee pain. I think the less expensive (maybe $25-40) might be a little less bendy and strange feeling than the nicer ones? Not sure, but maybe something to try.

They are also 'safety stirrups' that don't look silly, which is a nice plus : )